BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like a nice guy. I'd love to shoot a FA someday, but never had the opportunity to wear that grin. (Our range is no FA, so that's not going to happen organically.)

I did have one guy watching me shoot my M1A. I asked him if he wanted to shoot it and handed him a mag. Another guy was checking out my ARs and asked if I wanted to shoot his suppressed AR. That would be a yes- and of course now I have the bug to get 5.56 cans again. It's a member's only range so folks are usually friendly and social.

Only thing I'd think was hinky is if someone asked me to shoot their gun and they were wearing surgical gloves.
View Quote

If you ever come to Oregon hit me up, I'll happily let you play with FA.

Bring some factory loaded ammo and have a ball! First mag (hit) is always free! Lol!
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 1:56:54 PM EDT
[#2]
When I was my agencies chief firearms instructor, I was preparing the range for the class that would soon show up.   On the range next to me was another agency, and the rangemaster from that agency was shooting a select fire Thompson SMG.  He came over to me and asked if I would like to run a magazine through the Thompson...he said it was an agency firearm that someone gave to his agency 30-40 years ago, and it usually just sits in their arms room.   I said "sure, thanks" and while grinning from ear to ear, I got to run around 30 rounds through it..

I can sure see why people like the Thompson..
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't believe anything I hear and only half of what I see.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Same thing with flying airplanes, shooting deer.  At some point along the way, it feels better offering a deserving person a chance to do something you enjoyed doing long ago.  Flying one more hour, shooting one more deer, dumping one more magazine offers little incremental joy.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't believe anything I hear and only half of what I see.
View Quote
You need to spend more time with actual machinegun owners. We commonly like to share our fun guns with other people.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 1:59:49 PM EDT
[#6]
IME, the guy with FAs who doesn't offer to let others shoot them is the exception.

A while ago, there was a guy with a BM-59 and M16A1 at the bench next to mine. He put two or three mags through each, with no targets downrange, and kind of just stood there the rest of the time. Didn't offer to let anyone else shoot them; including me after I lent him a cleaning rod to knock a stuck case out of the BM-59's chamber.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#7]
When I'm shooting with the kids and grandkids out here, I let them have at it.

It is usually followed by "That is the one I want when grandpa dies!"
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like an awesome guy who likes to spread smiles

I think it's shameful to bring the word cuck into this situation.  Some people have money and are friendly.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Op calls the guy a cuck twice in his explanation.    I'd rather hangout with machinegun old guy than OP.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/13/2023 2:14:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe he also has arthritis or something that makes it hard/painful for him to shoot them like he used to so this is one of he only ways he can anymore

I think the term gun cuckholdry is a little weird.  But, um, you do you
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 2:17:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I ran into a situation like this when I was younger. 3 old (likely 65 plus each) guys shooting some hiiiiiiigh dollar big game rifles. Think Africa.
They were all well pleased when I took them up on the opportunity to I believe essentially break them in and get a good start on sighting them in.
I don’t recall all the specifics but I bet I shot up a grand in dangerous game ammo in 1995 prices. There was no way any of these guys could have gotten through that much ammo to insure reliability.
Some old guys are just cool.
View Quote

Many years ago, shooting my Garand at the San Bernardino range, I heard something YUGE being shot. Some yutes just having too much fun with their newly-purchased rifle. Turns out to be  some belted .458 magnum rifle. They bought it for "shooting rabbits."
They let me shoot it.
WTF I said, as I picked my arm off the ground, was that a bus? They laughed. I let them shoot a couple clips through my Garand and called it a day.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 2:18:49 PM EDT
[#12]
He wanted to share some of what he really enjoys?
Old men keep looking at the clock and wondering how much longer is left so why let others partake in what drove him onward when he was young?
I would do the same. Especially for the young fellers that looked on with admiration.
Wouldn't be suprised if he wan't auditioning for who to pass these things on to when he dies since his wife, kids, etc. ain't interested.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 2:27:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I don’t know, I don’t think it’s that weird. He’s probably put thousands upon thousands of rounds through all of these guns and just likes to see others enjoyment.

Hell I just got back from a guy‘s bachelor party range trip, and while I had more guns and ammo than anyone else there, I probably shot less than everyone else. It was fun watching newbies rip off mags through exotic bullpups, submachine guns, sawed-off shotguns, and other cool stuff they’ve only ever seen in the movies or video games.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 2:38:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When I was my agencies chief firearms instructor, I was preparing the range for the class that would soon show up.   On the range next to me was another agency, and the rangemaster from that agency was shooting a select fire Thompson SMG.  He came over to me and asked if I would like to run a magazine through the Thompson...he said it was an agency firearm that someone gave to his agency 30-40 years ago, and it usually just sits in their arms room.   I said "sure, thanks" and while grinning from ear to ear, I got to run around 30 rounds through it..

I can sure see why people like the Thompson..
View Quote

Full auto Thompson's are my favorite SMG for someone else to own!

Love shooting them, hate the thought of the amount of tuning they need to keep running.  A friend who's a retired state trooper had one he'd bring to range days.  We'd pay him to shoot his ammo, because they required a special re-load blend to run smoothly.   I think his was good for about 1,000 rounds before he had to break it down and clean it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#15]
@BlackArrow  Some of the nicest & most sharing guys are guys with full autos/nods.  I think they just want to get you hooked too.  Looking at you @RobertL

I know a bunch of people at the night shoot let me try their stuff, no questions asked.  Some provided ammo, some didn't.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#16]
We're it not for the kindness and generosity of others I'd have never gotten the chance to shoot full autos.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:11:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like you met a pretty cool guy who has shot them himself to where the novelty is gone but enjoys seeing newbs light up when they shoot 'em.

That isn't cuckoldry, that's a gun community elder loving and growing his tribe.  

When I was young and dumb and ammo was a lot cheaper I was lucky enough to have a bunch of older guys give me a go on stuff I couldn't hope to afford at the time.  RARE stuff, OLD stuff sometimes.. Sure I rented a few and had a few friends I knew otherwise who let me try things, but I think the majority of my experimentation with different platforms and types of firearm have come via some nice older dude at the range offering and guiding.  I try to do the same when I can for the same reason.

Some people want to dig wells in africa when they strike it rich.  If I won the lottery and got old, buying a bunch of transferrables and a few pallets of ammo and letting kids shoot 'em wouldn't seem like a bad idea to me at ALL.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I take non shooters out to shoot my guns, and have let people I didn’t know that had lesser guns shoot my stuff multiple times if they’ve struck up conversation.

It’s a hobby and a community. Ones generosity could be the difference between a flash in the pan purchase for a new guy or a lifetime hobby. Show new people there is more to enjoy. Doesn’t make someone a weirdo, it makes them not a stingy hermit.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:14:51 PM EDT
[#19]
That is a cool dude! Kind of like the hot car guy that tosses you the keys and says let her rip potato chip!  He knows what he's got and wants you to experience the same feeling.  Like the best charity for the poor. Like "I know you down on your luck but have a little fun, and don't break anything, and work to be like me in the future."
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#20]
when I drag my 50BMG rifle out to the range, I usually let all the people in the neighboring benches a free round as a thanks for letting me abuse them with the muzzle blast.

puts a "50 cal grin" on just about every one of them.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:15:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Op calls the guy a cuck twice in his explanation.    I'd rather hangout with machinegun old guy than OP.
View Quote

This.  I guess I’m a gun Cuck too.  Haven’t shot my F/A’s in years.  But drag them out for other people to experience.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Watching people shoot your .50 is more rewarding then shooting it yourself. So he probably felt the same
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:18:51 PM EDT
[#23]
@Jack_Of_Some_Trades

One of my customers (who I now call a friend from the years knowing him) found out I have never shot a 50 bmg so he brought over his Barrett M82 with a box of ammo and told me to go have fun. My business partner caught the woods on fire and it turned into a scene lol. There were a few tracers mixed in and we did not know it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
FWIW, You have on overfixation on that word: and are kind of shitting on a dude who sounds pretty F'ing cool.   I'd light that shit up if some dude brought full auto to the range and let people run it!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuak_XMlcXRXRGQfeRfQpKFVboYPRtGjk6RrdLKr7DAtfQU1HTiOjZRzr-rmMTLViP8Ww&usqp=CAU
View Quote

This.

That guy is fucking awesome. I'd have bought him dinner or a couple beers.

Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:22:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
@Jack_Of_Some_Trades

One of my customers (who I now call a friend from the years knowing him) found out I have never shot a 50 bmg so he brought over his Barrett M82 with a box of ammo and told me to go have fun. My business partner caught the woods on fire and it turned into a scene lol. There were a few tracers mixed in and we did not know it.
View Quote

DOH!
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#26]
O have SBR' and suppressors, I let others run a mag when I'm at the range.

Kind of educating those who don't know, and possibly get others hooked and to support the cause.

More people learn about them and get a chance to experience them. Might be the push over the edge to buy or support getting them off the books.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I was at a shooting range when I was 12. My dad was buying targets while I was sitting at the bench. The dude next to me let my friend and I dump a a drum out of a Suomi. Second time I'd ever fired a machine gun. It was cool. The dude had four or five sub guns, and literal crates of full mags. I'd bet he had 10,000 rounds in three or four large wooden crates.

My anal virginity remains intact.

ETA: I don't own machine guns, but I found the easiest way to make friends at a rural Appalachian gun club was to let kids shoot my M203. All of the sudden the weird guy with night vision and chalk grenades became the cool guy with night vision and chalk grenades.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Dude, the only thing I run into at the range is the occasional asshat that likes to sight down their rifle while you are changing targets.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I’ve let a lot of people shoot my MGs. Of course that’s usually at an event and other people are letting me shoot their stuff too.

Depending on how old the guy is, he may just not have much left in his life other than the cool toys and this is a social event for him???

ETA- OP, it seems like you’re being a bit ungracious about a guy who let you shoot a full-auto MP5.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:29:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sounds like a cool guy actually.
View Quote

Fuck yeah.  

Probobly has terrible arthritis, an ammo fort the size of Ft Knox and a couple of piece of shit lefty kids he does not want to leave stuff to.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:40:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:43:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Happy people want other people to be happy.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:47:11 PM EDT
[#33]
OP is wound a little too tight.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:48:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Dude is out there donating his time and money to create more gun nuts and creating more enemies of the NFA. This ain’t a new thing, it’s been going on for decades before you decided to shit on this guy.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I've shot a truckload of upland game.  I get a thrill taking others out and letting them shoot.  I don't care if I fire another shot.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Maybe he's trying to dump his ammo fort before he goes.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#37]
I have no doubt that many of you go to the range and/or LGS with the sole purpose of finding something to bitch about in GD.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 3:59:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Good idea to get a bunch of fingerprints of other people all over your guns.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Seems odd that he was doing it with multiple people.  I could see one or two who might have shown interest.  

I guess the OP fulfilled the old guys fetish...
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Guy is probably retired, rich, and bored, and letting people enjoy his collection is his hobby and gives him something to look forward to.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:24:04 PM EDT
[#41]
I take lots of people to the range who want to shoot my guns… and I take them without the intention of firing a single round myself.

He sounds like a good guy.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Where did this happen? Sounds like fun. Anyone wanna do this for me?

Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:35:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I ran into a situation like this when I was younger. 3 old (likely 65 plus each) guys shooting some hiiiiiiigh dollar big game rifles. Think Africa.
They were all well pleased when I took them up on the opportunity to I believe essentially break them in and get a good start on sighting them in.
I don’t recall all the specifics but I bet I shot up a grand in dangerous game ammo in 1995 prices. There was no way any of these guys could have gotten through that much ammo to insure reliability.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are some guns I own I can no longer comfortably shoot due to injuries.

I only own them so others can fire them for free and enjoy something they'd be unlikely to have trigger time with otherwise - and I bring them to public ranges for that exact reason. Except for doing that I just shoot on my own land.

Maybe the guy you ran into is similar?

I had the same experience, but it was just one guy with a very expensive double gun. I don’t remember what it was chambered in, but it was beautiful and it was beating the snot out of him.

He saw me watching him and asked me to put a few rounds through it to lessen the beating he was taking. He was sighting it in for an Africa trip.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Well that’s weird AF
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#45]
I'll offer up mostly to a dad and his son shooting at a range to shoot my M16, I'll even supply the ammo, it's priceless to see their expressions and it only cost a few bucks, when it's belt-fed time your just watching...
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I was minding my business shooting and an older guy came up to me and asked if I wanted to shoot anything in his selection. I said sure, I'll see if I have ammo for anything he has and he told me
I could use his ammo. At this point, none of this seems strange to me. His collection consisted of multiple transferrable machine guns and a SCAR17 with a CQB barrel on it.

I shot a mag through his F/A MP5 and went back to my business. I periodically would look over and not once did I see him shoot his very expensive collection of guns. In fact, all he was doing was
letting other people shoot them, men only. He easily plowed through 500-700 dollars worth of ammunition letting people shoot his guns.

I finally got curious enough and went over to ask him what the deal was. I asked him if he was ever gonna shoot his guns himself and he says "oh no, I mostly come here to watch people use my guns. I like
seeing people's faces when they run em hard, especially the full auto ones."

I told him I thought it was kinda strange but I'm sure everyone appreciated being able to rip some mags through a machine gun or a high-end gun. Has anyone ever experienced this? Is gun cuckoldry a real thing?
I hope this wasn't some sort of skit for a gun InFlUeNCeR. I didn't see him actually shoot his own guns once.

To any possible gun cucks on here, I don't mean any offense I am just trying to understand this new subset of gun culture I've apparently discovered.

WTF?!?
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
@BlackArrow  Some of the nicest & most sharing guys are guys with full autos/nods.  I think they just want to get you hooked too.  Looking at you @RobertL

I know a bunch of people at the night shoot let me try their stuff, no questions asked.  Some provided ammo, some didn't.
View Quote

First hit’s free!
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't have a ton of F/A stuff.  But, when the sub guns come out, I usually let others shoot them more than I do.   If I know ahead of time that I am going to shoot with a group.  I'll take them and tell others what ammo to bring.  

Not that the novelty has worn off.  But I do enjoy letting others shoot my guns.  

When ammo was cheaper.  It wouldn't bother me one bit to let others burn up my stash.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:49:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It makes him feel special and happy   nothing wrong with that
View Quote

Yup.

Similar psychology to grandma smiling with hands on her hips, while watching everyone else digging into the spread she's labored in the kitchen for hours to prepare.

Some people like feeling good by bringing joy to others. Maybe he has no kids/grandkids, or no one else in the family shares his interests in firearms. That could be really depressing to someone who's spent all that time and money on his collection.

If he's not hurting for money, simply sharing his passion and letting other folks enjoy it, might be all he needs/wants.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Maybe he's already shot hundreds of thousands of rounds himself, and is paying it forward to get others hooked on the most expensive drug on the planet.  
View Quote

a drug addiction would literally be cheaper
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top