BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:08:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

7.62 NATO is aweful. It's almost 3 times as heavy as 5.56. And all that extra weight, buys you just 200-250 meters. 550 point target range vs 800 point target range.

MK262 can even mimic a 7.62 NATO trajectory. So even a well made 5.56 round can level with shitty ass 7.62 NATO. That cartridge is a shit show, it does nothing dramatically better than 5.56. And in testing 5.56 has shown to be more lethal than 7.62

You are also limited not by your cartridge range. You are limited by how soon you can spot the enemy. And most of the time, unless you glue a pair of binos, you cannot see a camouflaged enemy beyond 200 meters. So guess what? You are using a heavy ass, crappy capability round, for 99% of the time engaging targets no further out than 200 meters.
View Quote
That's why they have been pouring their money into extractable polymer hybrid 7.62 cartridges, which they supposedly have working.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:09:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That's why they have been pouring their money into extractable polymer hybrid 7.62 cartridges, which they supposedly have working.
View Quote
Still requires a heavier rifle, larger mags and provides less capacity. Dumb.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

So after 8 years as an 03, what experience taught you 5.56 M995 AP won't penetrate Level III armor?

Also, describe new TTPs that allow you as an infantryman to fight Russians infantry,  without arty, tanks, fights, bombers, subs, and missile silos fighting one another? If all those happen, you aren't going to want a 7.62 rifle,  you are going to want a davy crockett nuclear recoilless rifle.

New TTPs don't work because after ever COIN proxie war the Army promises it won't fight them again, instead trying to prep for a near peer MCO fight in which the Army actually plays only a minor tole because of emphasis on strategic weapons. Then, because the near peer war can't happen we end up in another COIN proxie war and we have to spend years relearning how to fight them.

And the only reason is because near peer MCO pays the defense industry a lot more than COIN.
View Quote
We never engaged dudes eith armor. Dudes behind cover, sure. But we should just plan on COIN. 5.56 is fine. We shouldn't try to improve anything.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:10:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Still requires a heavier rifle, larger mags and provides less capacity. Dumb.
View Quote
Which is why the ICSR is happening. Supposedly they will eventually convert it to a intermediate round determined by the SAAC.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:13:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Which is still retarded.  It's just that it has that "new retarded smell" and people think that's cool.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:15:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Which is why the ICSR is happening. Supposedly they will eventually convert it to a intermediate round determined by the SAAC.
View Quote
Huge expense and a backwards step in capability for what exactly? Develop away, but Generals don't need to spew their wet dreams onto Joe for kicks or because they think it's cool. When the golden bullet is designed and ready for employment, by all means let's do it. Until then they should be pouring these dollars into actually improving capabilities, not employing old technology for whateverinthefucktheirreasonis.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:15:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Still dumb.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:15:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if this thread was how people looked at the ar platform when it first popped up. Time will tell, I suppose.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:17:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I wonder if this thread was how people looked at the ar platform when it first popped up. Time will tell, I suppose.
View Quote
Most likely.

Who knows We could all be wrong and the ICSR could be the best thing since sliced bread.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:18:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Most likely.

Who knows We could all be wrong and the ICSR could be the best thing since sliced bread.
View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:29:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

LOL
View Quote
Everyone said the 5.56 M16 was the worst thing ever and look how that turned out for us.

Who knows maybe the ICSR will be the second coming.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:32:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Okay. I didn't mind. It worked well enough. The cartridge can be improved upon.
View Quote
It was improved on.  It was shrunk to a .225 bullet and smaller case.

Now some brain-dead GO wants to go backward.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:33:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We never engaged dudes eith armor. Dudes behind cover, sure. But we should just plan on COIN. 5.56 is fine. We shouldn't try to improve anything.
View Quote
I didn't ask you to be sarcastic, i asked whether your extensive experience allowed you to know 5.56 M995 cant take out body armor. Because if it can, why are we needing 7.62?

The sort of subtle hint the Army's small arms community tried using against Milley but he didn't budge. They used every excuse because its a terrible idea, he told them to do it, just like he told them to implement chick infantry.

We shouldn't be fixing shit that ain't broken. But Milley isn't trying to fix shit, he's trying to use Russia as a boogeyman to gain more funding at a time when we aren't exactly tossing money away at the Army.

What conflict will infantry fight? Name the hypothetical enemy and the conflict location and type. What near peer nuclear power do you think we should blow all our money on?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:34:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I didn't ask you to be sarcastic, i asked whether your extensive experience allowed you to know 5.56 M995 cant take out body armor. Because if it can, why are we needing 7.62?

The sort of subtle hint the Army's small arms community tried using against Milley but he didn't budge. They used every excuse because its a terrible idea, he told them to do it, just like he told them to implement chick infantry.

We shouldn't be fixing shit that ain't broken. But Milley isn't trying to fix shit, he's trying to use Russia as a boogeyman to gain more funding at a time when we aren't exactly tossing money away at the Army.

What conflict will infantry fight? Name the hypothetical enemy and the conflict location and type. What near peer nuclear power do you think we should blow all our money on?
View Quote
M995 only defeats armor to 50M or so, from what testing I've seen.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:36:23 PM EDT
[#15]
This thread...LOL

Weak troll.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:37:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This thread...LOL

Weak troll.
View Quote
Yep such a troll. This is a made up RFP, not happening move along and all that.
https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=c3a0df63ed769522a0cdf3df867774e8&tab=core&_cview=1
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:38:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Who gives a fuck. Shoot him 7 times then shoot him in the neck/head. You can do this when you have ammo and muzzle control.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:40:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
7.62 NATO is aweful. It's almost 3 times as heavy as 5.56.
View Quote
Nope. It's 2 times as heavy, not 3 times.

Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:41:12 PM EDT
[#19]
They'll be as mobile as a street light.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:42:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Everyone said the 5.56 M16 was the worst thing ever and look how that turned out for us.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

Because we've done this before. We went to 7.62 NATO for service rifle and it didn't work for shit. It recoiled too much, harder to teach, heavier gun,  heavier ammo. Even with polymer ammo its going to be heavier. And what are we gaining? A slight uptick with yet undeveloped AP ammo at penetrating a purely hypothetical Level IV enemy body armor when current 5.56 AP already does the job,  a slight uptick in suppressive fire "scare factor," a slight uptick in downrange energy for terminal ballistics at area fire distances (600-800 meters).

In what world is any of this a real problem necessitating we trade out a proven caliber and gun, especially since we get 1/2 -1/3 less ammo, per same weight?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:42:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Didn't see much m995.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:42:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Nope. It's 2 times as heavy, not 3 times.

http://sadefensejournal.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/mar06.jpg
View Quote
And Polymer is 1.5x as heavy which eventually all 7.62 will be polymer.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:43:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What you have seen? As in secret sources emailing you powerpoints? Anything open source that the rest of us can see?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:44:46 PM EDT
[#24]
No russian suit can stop transwonder woman

Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:45:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Didn't see much m995.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't see much m995.
Nobody did, its in storage in places like Germany or Guam in case we fight Russia or China or NK.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:46:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yep such a troll. This is a made up RFP, not happening move along and all that.
https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=c3a0df63ed769522a0cdf3df867774e8&tab=core&_cview=1
View Quote
No one is disputing if it's happening. We're stating that it is dumb as fuck and a waste of resources that could be used on actually producing a more capable platform while degrading the capabilities of the people in harm's way.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:48:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What I want to know is how is that thing powered and how long can it run? Because once the batteries crap out on it all it is is a bunch of metal strapped to your back.
View Quote
Long enough to run some false flag operations in Georgia or the Ukraine?
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 11:49:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Because we've done this before. We went to 7.62 NATO for service rifle and it didn't work for shit. It recoiled too much, harder to teach, heavier gun,  heavier ammo. Even with polymer ammo its going to be heavier. And what are we gaining? A slight uptick with yet undeveloped AP ammo at penetrating a purely hypothetical Level IV enemy body armor when current 5.56 AP already does the job,  a slight uptick in suppressive fire "scare factor," a slight uptick in downrange energy for terminal ballistics at area fire distances (600-800 meters).

In what world is any of this a real problem necessitating we trade out a proven caliber and gun, especially since we get 1/2 -1/3 less ammo, per same weight?
View Quote
The other issue is Tungsten Carbine is expensive and we don't have enough of it.

We do however have a metric ton of M993 vs M995, That's another big reason for Milley wanting this from what I've read and heard.

Look I'm not saying it's right, but things have changed since the 7.62 M14. Maybe a modern 7.62 rifle using a small frame AR pattern like this.(ignore the scope and bipod)

Maybe that could work. I don't know one way or another and my gut says it's the wrong way to go, but I could also be wrong.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:01:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No one is disputing if it's happening. We're stating that it is dumb as fuck and a waste of resources that could be used on actually producing a more capable platform while degrading the capabilities of the people in harm's way.
View Quote
If it's a limited issue only to riflemen in units facing the Russkis, it can be a good thing. Lessons learned from use of the ICSR could result in improvements to the CT carbine, which in its current form has the same undesirable characteristics as the ICSR.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:02:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This is about Russia,but more so about funding. Soldiers involved already confirmed  on Primary and Secondary that 7.62 is about Russia
View Quote
Thanks, appreciate your input
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:03:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If it's a limited issue only to riflemen in units facing the Russkis, it can be a good thing. Lessons learned from use of the ICSR could result in improvements to the CT carbine, which in its current form has the same undesirable characteristics as the ICSR.
View Quote
According to the people involved it will be eventually issued to all active duty personnel.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:04:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What you have seen? As in secret sources emailing you powerpoints? Anything open source that the rest of us can see?
View Quote
Mostly private stuff, but wound channel or chopping block....can't remember which should be dong some testing on this.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:07:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:10:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've shot through Level IV with 6.5mm Grendel AP at 100 yards from a 20 inch barrel

If you want to shoot through hard plates I would think a .260 Rem or 6.5mm Creedmoor would
be a better solution compared to 7.62x51mm NATO
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:11:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This thread...LOL

Weak troll.
View Quote
Yep

Concern trolling on this topic again since the previous act did not go well.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:11:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The other issue is Tungsten Carbine is expensive and we don't have enough of it.

We do however have a metric ton of M993 vs M995, That's another big reason for Milley wanting this from what I've read and heard.

Look I'm not saying it's right, but things have changed since the 7.62 M14. Maybe a modern 7.62 rifle using a small frame AR pattern like this.(ignore the scope and bipod)
http://2ht1mik98ka4dogie28vqc4y.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Remington_CSASS001-670x353.jpg

Maybe that could work. I don't know one way or another and my gut says it's the wrong way to go, but I could also be wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://2ht1mik98ka4dogie28vqc4y.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Remington_CSASS001-670x353.jpg

I actually like this design. Nice and streamlined. If it wasn't for the enlarged mag well it looks like a 5.56 gun. Def lighter than some other 7.62 offerings, not that the ammo isn't still heavy as tits
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:14:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I've shot through Level IV with 6.5mm Grendel AP at 100 yards from a 20 inch barrel

If you want to shoot through hard plates I would think a .260 Rem or 6.5mm Creedmoor would
View Quote
That's why 7.62 is the interim caliber until the SAAC determines what can replace 7.62, and why they want a rifle capable of going to the new caliber without needing a new rifle.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:17:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Here we are:

Full circle.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:17:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I actually like this design. Nice and streamlined. If it wasn't for the enlarged mag well it looks like a 5.56 gun. Def lighter than some other 7.62 offerings, not that the ammo isn't still heavy as tits
View Quote
I believe it was either right at 7lbs or just a hair above 7lbs empty.

Those are the new way forward for the AR-10, everyone is making one. PSA, Adams Arms, Remington, etc.

You can get a AR-10 in the 6.7-7.5lb range. These would be the ideal way to do the ICSR IMO.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:18:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tungsten tipped 6.5?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:28:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If you want to shoot through hard plates I would think a .260 Rem or 6.5mm Creedmoor would be a better solution compared to 7.62x51mm NATO
View Quote
7.62 ammo is already in the system, ready for immediate use. It would take some time to develop, test, manufacture, and field all of the 6.5 loads that would be required.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:32:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
According to the people involved [the ICSR] will be eventually issued to all active duty personnel.
View Quote
Which people? Milley? Is it official, in writing? Link to statement?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:42:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Tungsten tipped 6.5?
View Quote
It was an Alexander Arms factory load
This was years ago because my wife was still in the Army at the time and she's been
out since 2012.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:44:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Which people? Milley? Is it official, in writing? Link to statement?
View Quote
There was open discussion about it between someone high in MCOE and the 82nd Airborne Master Gunner about it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:47:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

7.62 ammo is already in the system, ready for immediate use. It would take some time to develop, test, manufacture, and field all of the 6.5 loads that would be required.
View Quote
Let's also not forget they want these guns to be suppressor ready and every gun will be issued with a suppressor.

A small frame AR-10 weighing 7lbs, suppressed, and firing polymer cased M80A1 and XM1158 could be a decent setup. Determining that though is beyond me.
Also M80A1 is a nasty round, I wouldn't mind seeing a .264USA EPR setup.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:54:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
You're still going to spend billions implementing this. Why not spend those dollars in a concentrated manner developing the next real platform upgrade instead of going back to a round we have abandoned before with good results? Then we have to spend billions unfucking everything when this GO retires to go consult for his buddy that snagged this contract.

Hell, start producing polymer cased 70+grain 5.56. It will always be a useful round until caseless or similar level breakthrough happens, which is a long ways off at this rate. Even the hybrids are going to be rough in close quarters, 5.56 will be around for a long time.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:56:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Let's also not forget they want these guns to be suppressor ready and every gun will be issued with a suppressor.

A small frame AR-10 weighing 7lbs, suppressed, and firing polymer cased M80A1 and XM1158 could be a decent setup. Determining that though is beyond me.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/414147/Untitled1-293226.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/414147/Untitled1-293226.JPG
Oh, you're one of those dudes that forgets the ultra majority of rounds hit dirt.

LOL explains a lot.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:57:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Oh, you're one of those dudes that forgets the ultra majority of rounds hit dirt.

LOL explains a lot.
View Quote
I realize that, but I'm trying to think on the bright side of the ICSR and a 7lb AR-10 would be the best case IMO.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 12:59:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You're still going to spend billions implementing this. Why not spend those dollars in a concentrated manner developing the next real platform upgrade instead of going back to a round we have abandoned before with good results? Then we have to spend billions unfucking everything when this GO retires to go consult for his buddy that snagged this contract.

Hell, start producing polymer cased 70+grain 5.56. It will always be a useful round until caseless or similar level breakthrough happens, which is a long ways off at this rate. Even the hybrids are going to be rough in close quarters, 5.56 will be around for a long time.
View Quote
That's what Milley views this as.

7.62 is just the interim caliber until they decide on the end goal caliber. It will be a caliber that does not fit in the AR-15 and will require a new rifle anyways, so get the rifle now and when the caliber is here just get a new barrel and magazines and convert them over....That's the idea at least.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:01:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
He's worried about an armor system at a trade show?  Horse shit.  If he's the one pushing this, then he has a nice job waiting for him upon retirement or a new house.
View Quote
That's my thought.  What a great straw-man to pin a whole lot of slush-fund money into.  We may be looking at the next F-35-grade-stupidity project, morphed into the infantry venue.  
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top