BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why are you taking your 3 kids to work every day. Are you a teacher? Can you ride the bus?
View Quote

I pick them up after school, and weekend trips to grandmas house
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Why not just get a used truck for $30k.   Or just fix your current one.

Link Posted: 3/26/2023 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#3]
2017 - 2019 Buick lacrosse essence/premium w/v6. Very decent, comfortable commuter car, very inexpensive because it’s a Buick.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I would get a Mazda 3 wagon with a 6 speed.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#5]
We have two Prii, but we don't drive 10k per year.  The batter life is something that will have to be looked at eventually.  Maybe I could do the change myself, but I don't know.  There are plenty of good cars that would do you with having to fool with a battery pack.   That's my two cents.

Link Posted: 3/26/2023 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I wouldn't buy a cheap commuter car

I need a diesel truck to haul my equipment
View Quote
Weird flex, Bro. Thanks for the great advice pertaining to OP's question.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
10k a year? Must be a short commute.

Used Prius.
View Quote
10K at 5 days a week works out to 41 miles per day round trip.  Google says the average work commute in the US is.....41 miles.  It's an exactly average commute.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Serious answer...

Do you have snow and ice?  If so, I would say Imprezza or Crosstrek.  With the manual transmission of course if you want something remotely entertaining to drive.  I think it might be the last year for the manual for both.

Otherwise get whatever front wheel drive econo shitbox sedan catches your eye.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Subaru Crosstrek base?
View Quote

This was gonna be my suggestion. With the tow package you can pull 1k lbs plus AWD for bad winter weather
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 7:26:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ford maverick.
View Quote

Lol. Good luck. I ordered one on 9/15 and still don’t have a build date.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
10K at 5 days a week works out to 41 miles per day round trip.  Google says the average work commute in the US is.....41 miles.  It's an exactly average commute.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
10k a year? Must be a short commute.

Used Prius.

That's crazy.  I live 14 miles door to door from work.  I do drop the kids off in the morning so it's maybe more like 17-18 in the mornings.  I put on a good 20k between all of my vehicles (2 trucks, one SUV, one car, one motorcycle) and that doesn't count my wife.  Hell, I put a 1k on my side-by-side every year too and a lot of that is driving back and forth to work on the back dirt roads in he summer.  Probably at least 20 days in the summer.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 7:28:44 PM EDT
[#12]
10k miles a year isn't "commuting." At that tiny bit of mileage drive anything you want.  What difference does it make?

When I was commuting, which by definition is driving between a suburb and a city, I was doing 70 miles a day which is nearly 20,000 miles year just getting back and forth to work.  Add to that driving for pleasure and chores and total annual mileage was over 30k.  At that point economy and reliability becomes a substantial part of the car buying calculus.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's crazy.  I live 14 miles door to door from work.  I do drop the kids off in the morning so it's maybe more like 17-18 in the mornings.  I put on a good 20k between all of my vehicles (2 trucks, one SUV, one car, one motorcycle) and that doesn't count my wife.  Hell, I put a 1k on my side-by-side every year too and a lot of that is driving back and forth to work on the back dirt roads in he summer.  Probably at least 20 days in the summer.
View Quote
Well that's commute only.  It would be using your car for that and only ever for that.

I work from home, have no kids and most things I need are in town. I only get 1 oil change per year.  I only do that because the time, I put on about 4,000 miles per year.

Sometimes I go for a drive just to burn some gas so I can put some fresh in.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#14]
How cheap ?

Corolla , Camry are best bet.

Civic is ok.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 7:47:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Honda Fit or Toyota Yaris?
View Quote

While I have owned both a Toyota echo (old yaris) and a Honda fit manual, they aren't for everyone. Both feel like shitboxes. Both will last far longer then you would want to drive them. I drove the echo for years as a delivery vehicle. Gave it to my dad who daily drives it with 310k miles. Nothing major had failed on it. Never left me stranded. The Yaris is just an updated body but same engine and design. I really love the echo for what it is, An indestructible, simple car with no extras.

Currently have the Honda fit. It's noisy and doesn't track nicely on the highway. It is like a micro sized mini van. I put a hitch on it and tow a 4x8 utility trailer. Very handy but wouldn't want to take daily long trips in it.

Most people would likely prefer the the corolla or civic.

Link Posted: 3/26/2023 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well that's commute only.  It would be using your car for that and only ever for that.

I work from home, have no kids and most things I need are in town. I only get 1 oil change per year.  I only do that because the time, I put on about 4,000 miles per year.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, also crazy.  The point I am trying to make is that the actual commute isn't the majority of my annual mileage.  Looks like my commute is less than 9k total per year.  Definitely less than half of my annual mileage.

Link Posted: 3/26/2023 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yep

Hybrids getting 600-700 miles on a 12 gallon tank

Regular ecoboost 24-30+mpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ford maverick.

Yep

Hybrids getting 600-700 miles on a 12 gallon tank

Regular ecoboost 24-30+mpg

Try again.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You laugh but i had considered an Audi S4
View All Quotes

I laugh, but mostly at myself, because that's what I'd get in your shoes, fuel economy be damned.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#19]
My car was 27k new last year and gets 55mpg (Honda insight). And it's 4 door. If I could do it over again, I would get the Camry hybrid or accord hybrid.  The car looks like an accord but is the size of a civic. B/c of that, the back is very tight. It's fine for me driving alone, but with the two kids in the back, they fit, but my toddler loves to kick the back of my front seat. He doesn't do that in my Escalade. I don't think a teenage or larger person would be able to sit behind me comfortably. Otherwise it's a great commuter with insane gas mileage.

B/c of that, I'm looking at the Camry hybrid for a larger back seat/car in general or a CRV hybrid
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Yea our truck only does truck stuff and the wife got a Hyundai kona 1.6T after she researched a lot. she works from home now so I drive it a lot. BLOWS away the Crosstrek we used to have for a daily driver. (I have owned many Subie's and this changed my mind for a commuter that sees 90% road.

You can get the top trim under 30k and it's got a peppy turbo and AWD. I have been driving my wife's (my daily is a two seat sports car). It's like 85% my old WRX that I had years ago.
AWD is pretty good and I had it in some nasty snow. You can even lock (for under 25mph) if you need all wheels locked for nasty stuff.
very comfy for my commute with infinity sound system, heated leather, and just comfortable.

It's peppy and has great passing power for the price and we regularly get around 35mpg's (0-60 in the 6's)

No camper or anything (keep your truck just for truck stuff)

Here is a random image off the net some people put A/T tires and make softroaders out of them and they look cool
Attachment Attached File

stock they are more of a hot hatch with a mild lift
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/26/2023 8:10:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Rav4 Prime used
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Camry.  You're welcome.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 8:13:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Toyota Camry or Honda Accord
View Quote

This is the correct answer, worked with a lot of people who commuted a long way, one guy was driving 110 miles one way and he had a Honda Civic with over 400K miles at the time.  He did work a EOWO shift so was not driving every day.

Link Posted: 3/26/2023 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#25]
10k a year! Just find a cheap gmt800 Chevrolet or gmc and pocket the rest of your budget.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Toyota Corolla.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2023 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Toyota Camry or Honda Accord
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2023 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Why not just get a used truck for $30k.   Or just fix your current one.

View Quote

Current truck is an 06 f150 5.4 with 270k and holes in the frame

Used trucks here in Michigan with 100k are around 35k... not worth it when a base model is 40k
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yea our truck only does truck stuff and the wife got a Hyundai kona 1.6T after she researched a lot. she works from home now so I drive it a lot. BLOWS away the Crosstrek we used to have for a daily driver. (I have owned many Subie's and this changed my mind for a commuter that sees 90% road.

You can get the top trim under 30k and it's got a peppy turbo and AWD. I have been driving my wife's (my daily is a two seat sports car). It's like 85% my old WRX that I had years ago.
AWD is pretty good and I had it in some nasty snow. You can even lock (for under 25mph) if you need all wheels locked for nasty stuff.
very comfy for my commute with infinity sound system, heated leather, and just comfortable.

It's peppy and has great passing power for the price and we regularly get around 35mpg's (0-60 in the 6's)

No camper or anything (keep your truck just for truck stuff)

Here is a random image off the net some people put A/T tires and make softroaders out of them and they look cool
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/65995/6a00fda16253e0f50ad1fae91e32d2f1_png-2760048.JPG

stock they are more of a hot hatch with a mild lift
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/65995/329815_Hyundai_Kona_2018_jpg-2760053.JPG
View Quote

Sweet car. Would be cool if they came in manual
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#30]
New KIA Soul in whatever trim level is within your budget.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Serious answer...

Do you have snow and ice?  If so, I would say Imprezza or Crosstrek.  With the manual transmission of course if you want something remotely entertaining to drive.  I think it might be the last year for the manual for both.

View Quote

Yes its Michigan so snow, ice and salt...

Link Posted: 3/26/2023 8:25:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Toyota Highlander.   Very versatile, very economical.
View Quote
^ this since he wants to tow a pop up
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I picked up a Kia Niro for a dedicated commuter car about 2.5 years ago and it's consistently pulled 55-62 mpg. 4 doors and hatchback.

Put 20-25k miles on it a year and it's been flawless on reliability. Almost went with a Toyota, but glad I went the Kia route on this one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 8:29:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
camry/accord
View Quote

If I absolutely had to, one of these two would also be my choice.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Camry over Corolla since you have 3 kids.
RAV4 is a good option
Prius if you want the best mpg.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Serious answer...

I live in Northern MN and and considering a Crosstrek for commuting and road tripping.  I have 2 kids with me every day.  Decent MPG, decent room, great AWD system.  Definitely not fast but it can be had with a manual trans (at least for now) that makes it somewhat fun to drive.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Camry or Accord is the answer you'll get the most. I recently got my wife a 2018 Accord with the 2.0T. It's really nice and has tons of room in the back. I'm 6'2" and can sit in the back seat comfortably.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#38]
I work from home and drive 15k miles a year
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 8:55:02 PM EDT
[#39]
I had a 2006 Camry Hybrid that I put 200,000 miles on before the hybrid batteries failed. Loved that car.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#40]
I drive about 100 miles a day for work now. 2019 Accord Sport.

I like it. Would recommend.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Toyota Corolla.

View Quote

+1

or Camry if you're tall

Link Posted: 3/26/2023 8:59:13 PM EDT
[#42]
RAV4

Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:01:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Ford maverick.
View Quote
FPNI
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#44]
10,000 dollar camry Carolla accord then 15,000 dollar rehab on current truck?
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Used Camry, Accord, or Altima.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Absolutely no reason to buy a new Prius. Used ones will go 300k+.
Let someone else take the hit on price.

Get a set of snow tires for winter and they actually do really well in snow.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Used Prius
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Buy a used Lexus GX470 with high miles for like $5k to $7k.  It'll last you easily until your kids go to college and save you insane amounts of money.  Not the best fuel economy though.  It can tow 5k lbs, so plenty for a pop up.  Easy to work on.  Generally nothing goes wrong.

That or buy a new Prius or Maverick, of you have to have something that is new.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

ive been checking, around atl, supposedly arriving first part of april.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
2023 prius, starting price under 30k, gas motor has increased to around 200 hp... 50+mpg hiway

https://toyota-cms-media.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/2023_Prius_Limited_WindChillPearl_013-1500x900.jpg

Are they out yet?

ive been checking, around atl, supposedly arriving first part of april.

I actually saw a pearl white one in someone's driveway today,  bfe WV to boot.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#50]
A Toyota RAV4 or a Honda CR-V might have better re-sale value when you want to go back to a truck. ( Hyundai and Kia had theft problems so bad they were blacklisted by insurance companies. Dunno if their anti-theft software update will fix things.)
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top