Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Growing up we played a lot of Goldeneye.  Then it was the original Halo when we got our first Xbox.

In college we played a TON of Battlefield 1942 with the Dessert Combat mod.  I had a separate computer running Linux that we used to host our LAN games to play this mod.  Four of us would play co-op against bots on the server.  Fun times.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The one where I went outside and played war with my friends.
View Quote
FPNI
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:21:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Growing up would have been the original Ghost recon on the PC. As an adult probably a tie between Arma 3 and Tarkov
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

We did the same thing...

gen x 80s kid here.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Half life mod called Firearms

View Quote

Whoa, completely forgot about that game! Definitely spent a lot of hours playing Firearms and had to go find some YouTube clips to refresh my memory. Back then those were peak gaming days with all the different HL mods.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

"Beach" may be the best multiplayer shooter map ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGdcJ82-9EE

Either side can win if played well. If played well on both sides the outcome is hard to predict.

Also, it's ... FUN.
View Quote

Sea Rigs.

Battlefield 1942 - Desert Combat Mod v0.7 - Sea Rigs Map
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Gunship

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#9]
It was probably a tie between Halo CE and Battlefield Vietnam.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

"Beach" may be the best multiplayer shooter map ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGdcJ82-9EE

Either side can win if played well. If played well on both sides the outcome is hard to predict.

Also, it's ... FUN.

Sea Rigs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2i6ollHJUs

I haven't played both so I can't comment.

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 2:03:28 PM EDT
[#11]
War.  The kids in the neighborhood used to play "war" with toy guns and assorted milsurp from WWII.

Jesus, I am so thankful to have grown up before video game consoles got so advanced.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#12]
The original Axis & Allies board game in the big box.  Sadly I sold it many years ago.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#13]
We had:

Dirt clod wars
Rock wars
Bottle rocket wars

We drew the line at pellet gun wars though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 2:18:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
War.  The kids in the neighborhood used to play "war" with toy guns and assorted milsurp from WWII.

, I am so thankful to have grown up before video game consoles got so advanced.
View Quote

I'm sure the advances in video games has had some effect there, but I pin that more on parents being terrified of letting their kids go outside and play unsupervised.

We had an NES and a PC and I still would go outside a lot and play with the neighbor's kids and go hiking all over creation.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We had:

Dirt clod wars
Rock wars
Bottle rocket wars

We drew the line at pellet gun wars though.
View Quote

Yall needed some bamboo growing around you.

Than you could have bamboo sword-spear wars.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wolfenstein 3D

Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Duke Nukem 3D

DOOM
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was already old but it would have been Operation Flashpoint.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f3/Operation_Flashpoint_cover.jpg
View Quote

Yep.  Good game!  I got some time on it before I got married.  "Only the dead have seen an end to war"
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Day of Defeat in High school
Counter Strike in College

Edit: I forgot about Alien Vs Predator. I played a shit ton of that. Used to play dial up directly with a friend and tie up our parents landlines. Still played a lot when it went to GameSpy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Day of Defeat in High school
Counter Strike in College

Edit: I forgot about Alien Vs Predator. I played a shit ton of that. Used to play dial up directly with a friend and tie up our parents landlines. Still played a lot when it went to GameSpy.
View Quote

So YOU'RE the joker that reflexively shoots all the lights to turn them off!
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol. I always played the Marine. People hated the minigun.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#22]
We had BB gun wars.  It was epic.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean you didn't like walking on the ceiling and attacking from above?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I loved the Turok series

Eta: not military
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Castle Wolfenstein, Doom, Duke Nukem, Delta Force, Syphon Filter, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 2:50:13 PM EDT
[#26]
No FPS when I was growing up, at least none that I can recall on Atari 2600 in the 80s. My first real FPS was Crysis Wars in my 30s. I was (am) very good at it online.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I played professional Counter-Strike so probably that.

It was before Steam so it didn’t track hours and that’s probably a good thing. I shudder to think how much time I spent playing that, or simply sitting in IRC servers waiting for someone to answer our calls for scrims. CAL-i++ our server 5v5 de_mapoftheweek
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#28]
CS 1.6
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#29]

@bulump

Did you get the MoH?

Brings back memories.  I was in college when it came out.  My roommate had it.  Can't remember if it was on cassette or floppy.  Floppy I think, but it was so long ago that PCs that could use a TV as a monitor was common.  One rule: He'd let any of us other three to play it, but don't leave the TV on.  Didn't ask why, didn't care.  Easy to comply so it didn't even matter until...

I hope I'm remembering this right.  We were all in a race to get the MoH.  I sucked at it.  Still suck at 'video games'.  But I had a suspicion--a hope really.  We played a LOT.  It was pretty easy for even me to get high-up medals, but none of us had gotten the MoH.  There was a six pack at stake, so I had planned to stay all weekend and figure out if there's circumstance in addition to skill in getting it.  Turned out, it was flying through the shit to get to the objective; not so much what one might assume by being smart and flying around it.  After playing about 6 solid hours I finally got it.  Problem was, no witnesses.  I did what I had to do.  I left it on.

When Micheal pulled up, Monday morning, I went and sat at his desk in the room we shared.  So, when he came up, I was there and said, "Look what I just got!".  He was so fucking jealous that he demanded I get up.  He sat down and deleted my guy.  He said, "No you didn't", very smugly.  He flipped everything off and walked off.  I was pissed, but I got my revenge in a few short hours, in a very unexpected way.  When Lee got there, he was delighted the game was free and went up immediately to play.

"Michael!"

"What?"

"I didn't do it!"

"Do what?"

"Leave your computer on."

I'm thinking my secret is safe (that I left it on), so I'm as intrigued as Michael.  We both went up. I figured Lee was kidding because Michael was hell bent on it not being left on.  When we get up there, the TV and computer ain't even on, but burned into the TV screen, is my MoH citation.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:40:41 PM EDT
[#30]
I’m surprised more people didn’t say Medal of Honor Allied Assault. That game had me hooked.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

@bulump

Did you get the MoH?

Brings back memories.  I was in college when it came out.  My roommate had it.  Can't remember if it was on cassette or floppy.  Floppy I think, but it was so long ago that PCs that could use a TV as a monitor was common.  One rule: He'd let any of us other three to play it, but don't leave the TV on.  Didn't ask why, didn't care.  Easy to comply so it didn't even matter until...

I hope I'm remembering this right.  We were all in a race to get the MoH.  I sucked at it.  Still suck at 'video games'.  But I had a suspicion--a hope really.  We played a LOT.  It was pretty easy for even me to get high-up medals, but none of us had gotten the MoH.  There was a six pack at stake, so I had planned to stay all weekend and figure out if there's circumstance in addition to skill in getting it.  Turned out, it was flying through the shit to get to the objective; not so much what one might assume by being smart and flying around it.  After playing about 6 solid hours I finally got it.  Problem was, no witnesses.  I did what I had to do.  I left it on.

When Micheal pulled up, Monday morning, I went and sat at his desk in the room we shared.  So, when he came up, I was there and said, "Look what I just got!".  He was so fucking jealous that he demanded I get up.  He sat down and deleted my guy.  He said, "No you didn't", very smugly.  He flipped everything off and walked off.  I was pissed, but I got my revenge in a few short hours, in a very unexpected way.  When Lee got there, he was delighted the game was free and went up immediately to play.

"Michael!"

"What?"

"I didn't do it!"

"Do what?"

"Leave your computer on."

I'm thinking my secret is safe (that I left it on), so I'm as intrigued as Michael.  We both went up. I figured Lee was kidding because Michael was hell bent on it not being left on.  When we get up there, the TV and computer ain't even on, but burned into the TV screen, is my MoH citation.  

View Quote

yes I believe I did!  It t'was a long time ago.....no PC here, Commodore 64

ETA: LOL at the screen burn!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The SAW in that game had the ballistics of a suppressed .32 acp though
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Battlefield 2.

There was no better feeling of playing support and sniping enemy players from a rooftop across the map with a SAW. Especially when the other team sent hit squads out after you.

It was also pretty awesome laying covering fire with the SAW so your team could cap a flag and have the other team bitch in the chat that you couldn’t use the SAW for suppression. When the entire premise of the class was SUPPORT.

The SAW in that game had the ballistics of a suppressed .32 acp though

I've not played it (really!), but I suspect such is a necessary gameplay abstraction, given graphics limitations and how spacious infantry combat today is.  E.g., a lot of Operation Flashpoint (with maybe 1080p graphics) was trying to figure out, "Which pixel at 1,200 meters is about to end my life with:  SVD, 120mm tank HEAT, PK burst, you name it."  And  then usually failing, lol.

True story though, akin to playing a car racing game for a few hours, and having the reflexes persist when driving your real car (sometimes hilariously), playing OFP for awhile taught you to notice every patch of potential defilade everywhere you went.  Fun game.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Does Red Baron by dynamix count?

What a fantastic game that was.  Same goes for the aces series.
View Quote

Aces under the deep, with the God's eye stuff turned off, is a stone bitch.  Guessing on target height to trig to distance to speed to angle on the bow, and trying to do all of that in a 7 second exposure...  toughie.  

Assuming you even got into the convoy to do it.  The Silent Hunter series was fun for that too.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#34]
We called it "outside"

My kid and I played a lot of Lego Starwars
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:24:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Does Rush’n Attack count as first person?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I’m surprised more people didn’t say Medal of Honor Allied Assault. That game had me hooked.
View Quote

I liked running around beating people to death with a potato masher like a club.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:45:47 PM EDT
[#37]
This thread is bringing back a lot of good memories!
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I loved the Turok series

Eta: not military
View Quote

Forgot about those, my older stepbrothers had those on Nintendo 64
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#39]
I enjoyed blowing the aliens off the walls with pulse grenades and how angry predators would get when a marine would wreck them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:16:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Tank commander??? Is that the one that came with atari 2600
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Doom
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:04:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Battlezone circa 1980

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:27:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Doom
Quake
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:38:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The original Axis & Allies board game in the big box.  Sadly I sold it many years ago.
View Quote

Still have mine. Although some pieces got lost/melted in my many moves.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:44:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Command & Conquer
C&C Red Alert, C&C Tiberian Sun.
Uprising
Half Life
Quake
Doom
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:49:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Army

We would run around with toy guns (or just sticks if there weren't enough) and argue wether or not people had been shot or not.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:51:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nice.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:03:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Growing up? The only first person shooter I had growing up was Duck Hunt for the NES.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:05:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:07:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I played the one where I swept and mopped the garage, then my father said "You're Infantry now, son." I was so god damned proud.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top