Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 6/25/2020 6:52:45 AM EDT
For me TW25B is by far the best grease that you can use. I have not found any other that can stand the time or heat.

What do you use ?
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:07:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Whatever is on sale. I just grab it a case at a time.

I think I have TSC red high temp out there right now.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:13:29 AM EDT
[#2]
What does the application call for?  Thats generally what i use.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:14:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Is Cheap Grease better than Lucas Red N Tacky? Let's find out! Bearing Grease Test Episode 1

I also like Mag1 grease a lot.  It seems to stay where I want it very well.

Is 75-Year Old Grease Still Good? Let's find out!
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:14:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Mobile 1
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:17:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
For me TW25B is by far the best grease that you can use. I have not found any other that can stand the time or heat.

What do you use ?
View Quote

Well, the ball joints of my tractor don't get that hot, so TW25B might be a little overkill.

Or were you not talking about greasing tractors?
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:17:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Lucas
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:19:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Whatever marine grease I happen to grab... Believe last couple have just been Walmart stuff.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:19:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I use TW25B for gun grease.

Lucas Marine Grease on my boat.

Whatever is on sale for my tractor.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:31:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Sometimes that lithium shit.
I don't grease a whole bunch of things.
Mostly I use Aeroshell. In small amounts.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:34:17 AM EDT
[#10]
same for me -TW25B. have not tried many others, but this works, so i stick with it
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:35:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Bacon.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:40:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mobile 1
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:42:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Aeroshell 33MS
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:42:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Mobil XHP222 special.

Buy it by the case.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:45:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Primrose 357

Haven't found anything better.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:46:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Slide Glide
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:50:30 AM EDT
[#17]
They should test the same type of grease to be more even
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:54:01 AM EDT
[#18]
General purpose i use Shell Gadus S3 lithium complex

The machine tools that take grease are either Kluber Isoflex or THK AFJ. Both are an expensive specialty grease. Mineral oil based i think. The THK AFJ would work well on guns i think but its $$

For guns I use slip 2000 EWG.  Works.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:57:24 AM EDT
[#19]
People love to obsess over this stuff.

Im curious on the science at times, but what is it the average joe is doing that requires some high end lubricant.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:04:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
People love to obsess over this stuff.

Im curious on the science at times, but what is it the average joe is doing that requires some high end lubricant.
View Quote
Keeping machine tools that cost more than my house happy and accurate.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:14:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

which is..... wait for it....... not the average joe stuff.  

a half million in tools is maybe different.

i use lucas RnT cause I can buy it anywhere and don't have to worry about what I used last time since it's always available.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:15:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Hi-temp, lithium disc brake grease.  One can will last you a lifetime.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:17:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Grey valvoline stuff
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:22:06 AM EDT
[#24]
lucas red n tacky

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

i use lucas RnT cause I can buy it anywhere and don't have to worry about what I used last time since it's always available.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of farmers, contractors and truck drivers out there.

Lots of homeowners with some property that might have a backhoe or a skidloader, or just a tractor.

Lots of people who old trucks that can be greased. Or have replaced parts with ones that take grease.

All “every day Joe” people.  

Lucas red and tacky has too light of a base oil. Only lives up to 1/2 it’s name, it’s red.  That’s about it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:25:41 AM EDT
[#26]
For firearms?  Lubriplate SFL.
Lubrication 101
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Lots of homeowners with some property that might have a backhoe or a skidloader, or just a tractor.

Lots of people who old trucks that can be greased. Or have replaced parts with ones that take grease.

All "every day Joe" people.  

Lucas red and tacky has too light of a base oil. Only lives up to 1/2 it's name, it's red.  That's about it.
View Quote

like I said, I'll bite on the science.  Tell me something that available everywhere I can switch to.  I don't really care as long as it's not stupid expensive and adds some value.

but in all the trailers I own(ed), all the buggies I have built, driven hard, and wrecked, all the everything.  I can't say cheap ass Lucas grease ever let something fail.

....but these conversations always turn into having 6 different greases for every application.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Whatever marine grease I happen to grab... Believe last couple have just been Walmart stuff.
View Quote

Yup.  Been using it on the M1s, M1As and SIG 556R for several years now.  If the purpose of grease on these rifles is to provide better lube than oil in wet/rainy conditions then marine grade grease is better than regular grease.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:33:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Red and Tacky or Valvoline Full Sun for all purpose grease. Whichever is on sale.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

like I said, I'll bite on the science.  Tell me something that available everywhere I can switch to.  I don't really care as long as it's not stupid expensive and adds some value.

but in all the trailers I own(ed), all the buggies I have built, driven hard, and wrecked, all the everything.  I can't say cheap ass Lucas grease ever let something fail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All "every day Joe" people.  

Lucas red and tacky has too light of a base oil. Only lives up to 1/2 it's name, it's red.  That's about it.

Mystik JT6 HT is probably the best, widely distributed, moderately priced grease on the market.

Here’s the thing about grease and failures...

People rarely recognize premature wear from the wrong grease / wrong amount of grease.  Why not? Because they chalk it up to something they did and because getting down to it, actually finding what failed, why, is hard.  

Let’s take one of the most basic farm implements, that a lot of people have.  The disk   It’s nothing more than cutting wheels on an axle that spin in bearings.  Yet people have to replace these bearings all the time. They just chalk it up to a disk being a disk.  

Using the right grease, with a proper maintenance program, you’d probably never have to replace the bearings.

Mower deck spindles.  We’ve seen arfcom posts about this.  Just peoples mower deck spindle going out... why? Well two reasons. Either you hit something and snapped it. Or the bearing ran out of lubricant.   Didn’t grease enough? Well either grease more (clearly not happening) or get a better greased.  

Excavator pins are probably the big one. Along with PTO shafts in trucks.    

People who buy a used mini excavator or backhoe probably aren’t going to keep track of the hours they have on it before they need to replace a pin on their front end loaded or bucket. Why? Homeowner usage.  People rarely take that much care in their maintenance tracking.  

PTO shafts on trucks.  Carrier bearings and U joints just need replaced right? Well... after how long?

It’s not that using the wrong grease will hard stop things from working... Using the wrong grease just shortens the life span.  

Now given, sometimes it will hard stop.  Put an aluminum complex grease in an electric motor.  That’s... a great way to spend money.

Edit:

To continue. Using the right grease in an electric motor will save you energy.  Using the right grease in an excavator or truck can make it swing faster, smoother. Or gain fuel economy.  Along with extending life of what your lubricating.  

Greasing is where the majority of lubrication failures happen. Which is why industries have been trying to move away from it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:43:35 AM EDT
[#32]
General use I only use JT6. Special stuff I use what's spec
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#33]
AW2
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#34]
John Deere SD Polyurea

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Mystik JT6 HT is probably the best, widely distributed, moderately priced grease on the market.

Here's the thing about grease and failures...

People rarely recognize premature wear from the wrong grease / wrong amount of grease.  Why not? Because they chalk it up to something they did and because getting down to it, actually finding what failed, why, is hard.  

Let's take one of the most basic farm implements, that a lot of people have.  The disk   It's nothing more than cutting wheels on an axle that spin in bearings.  Yet people have to replace these bearings all the time. They just chalk it up to a disk being a disk.  

Using the right grease, with a proper maintenance program, you'd probably never have to replace the bearings.

Mower deck spindles.  We've seen arfcom posts about this.  Just peoples mower deck spindle going out... why? Well two reasons. Either you hit something and snapped it. Or the bearing ran out of lubricant.   Didn't grease enough? Well either grease more (clearly not happening) or get a better greased.  

People who buy a used mini excavator or backhoe probably aren't going to keep track of the hours they have on it before they need to replace a pin on their front end loaded or bucket. Why? Homeowner usage.  People rarely take that much care in their maintenance tracking.  

PTO shafts on trucks.  Carrier bearings and U joints just need replaced right? Well... after how long?

It's not that using the wrong grease will hard stop things from working... Using the wrong grease just shortens the life span.  

Now given, sometimes it will hard stop.  Put an aluminum complex grease in an electric motor.  That's... a great way to spend money.

Edit:

To continue. Using the right grease in an electric motor will save you energy.  Using the right grease in an excavator or truck can make it swing faster, smoother. Or gain fuel economy.  Along with extending life of what your lubricating.  

Greasing is where the majority of lubrication failures happen. Which is why industries have been trying to move away from it.
View Quote

So is it compatible with Lucas if I switched?
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:02:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:03:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's the thing about grease and failures...

Let's take one of the most basic farm implements, that a lot of people have.  The disk   It's nothing more than cutting wheels on an axle that spin in bearings.  Yet people have to replace these bearings all the time. They just chalk it up to a disk being a disk.  

Using the right grease, with a proper maintenance program, you'd probably never have to replace the bearings.

Mower deck spindles.  We've seen arfcom posts about this.  Just peoples mower deck spindle going out... why? Well two reasons. Either you hit something and snapped it. Or the bearing ran out of lubricant.   Didn't grease enough? Well either grease more (clearly not happening) or get a better greased.  

People who buy a used mini excavator or backhoe probably aren't going to keep track of the hours they have on it before they need to replace a pin on their front end loaded or bucket. Why? Homeowner usage.  People rarely take that much care in their maintenance tracking.  

It's not that using the wrong grease will hard stop things from working... Using the wrong grease just shortens the life span.  

Now given, sometimes it will hard stop.  Put an aluminum complex grease in an electric motor.  That's... a great way to spend money.

Edit:

Yes.

Both are lithium based.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'll bet my left nut that is rebadged grease that you can get way cheaper without the green label.
View All Quotes

Yep.

Polyurea Greases are awesome I will say.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:07:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'll bet my left nut that is rebadged grease that you can get way cheaper without the green label.
View All Quotes

You’re probably right.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You’re probably right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You’re probably right.

All the majors (Mobil, P66, Chevron, Shell, Citgo) have a polyurea grease.

If you need help crossing referencing it, let me know.  I know P66s is real difficult... It’s P66 Polyurea grease.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Bacon.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Lucas red “n” tacky #2 has been excellent for my boat trailer bearings. Trailer is launched in salt water and highly maintained. Other greases just don’t seem to seal out the salt water.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:11:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What do you use ?
View Quote
For gun parts, I agree with you.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Mobile 1
View Quote

That's what I use on my M1, their red synthetic.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:14:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Lubriplate.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:16:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:16:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Mystic JT as mentioned before. Inexpensive, widely available and after doing some research it out performs a very large percentage of other commonly used greases.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:17:05 AM EDT
[#48]
I used synthetic boat grease on just about everything. Tractors, trucks, etc.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:17:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yep.

Polyurea Greases are awesome I will say.
View Quote

What is your opinion on Moly greases? Pros? Cons?
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMmSQSjraSE

I also like Mag1 grease a lot.  It seems to stay where I want it very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7hpDm8lTME
View Quote

Thanks for posting this videos.  I watched the first one as that Supertech grease is the exact stuff I use because it’s CHEAP!!

I will now be switching to Lucas Red & Tacky.  

Wow.  Didn’t think there was a difference.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top