Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:13:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in my early thirties and have a business. I have around 30 employees. Approximately 1 out of 20 people that apply are decent, trainable candidates. But the ones that do work out are damn good.

I don't see it being that much different than the past. You still have to weed out the shit birds. The shit birds just don't care to disguise themselves anymore. In some ways, that's an improvement
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:15:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The USA had great economic times after WWII partly because the other economic powerhouses in the world were wrecked.  As time went on more and more countries got back on their feet and the US became less and less competitive.
View Quote

Boom. There it is. Hitler and Hirohito are just as much responsible for the success of boomers as their own self perceived work ethic and entitlement.
ETA haircut, eye contact, firm handshake
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Could you ever buy a starter 3/2 for 150% of the starting salary of a 22 year old with a STEM or any degree?  I graduated from college in the late 80s and have only purchased houses in PA and the kind of homes that could be purchased for 150% of starting salaries were always dumps in bad areas.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aaaaannnnddddd subscribed.  I too enjoy having these conversations with the older folks while cross-referencing Zillow and inflation calculators.  As it turns out, you can no longer buy a 3/2 starter for 150% of your starting salary at age 22 with a STEM degree.

Could you ever buy a starter 3/2 for 150% of the starting salary of a 22 year old with a STEM or any degree?  I graduated from college in the late 80s and have only purchased houses in PA and the kind of homes that could be purchased for 150% of starting salaries were always dumps in bad areas.

Yes, but before your day. You got started at the beginning of the downhill slope.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I enjoy these discussions.   When you started, what was the pay for the coveted job where people waited 2-3 years for an interview ?      What Year was it?

What is the starting pay for the job where you “hire them on the spot”?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m sitting here, smoking a prime rib on the porch and having a cocktail, wondering where we went wrong.

When I started in the paper industry 33 years ago, they were sought after jobs.  You might have had to wait 2-3 years just for an interview. Now we hire them on the spot, and they don’t last their training and evaluation period.

Had a job fair last fall, 800 people showed up and we hired one electrician and I’m not sure he’s still at the mill. The operations group hired some to shovel bark and wood chips. Might have hired a few mechanics too but overall less than 40 hired.

In the ‘80’s I left home, got a degree and never looked back. As did my brother and sister.  I’ve told my dad he hit the lotto, but in reality we were raised correctly.

Where did the country go wrong?

I enjoy these discussions.   When you started, what was the pay for the coveted job where people waited 2-3 years for an interview ?      What Year was it?

What is the starting pay for the job where you “hire them on the spot”?

Have you ever heard of autistic?
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Employers say that 90% of applicants are shitbirds.

Applicants say that 90% of employers are shitbirds.

Both are correct.  Either way you have to roll the dice a LOT and wade through human pollution to get into a situation that doesn't suck.

It's always been this way, but it was more tolerable when the economy was functional and dignified work and home ownership was still possible for most
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
"Smart phones" and "social media". That's what happened.
View Quote

I'll take it a step further and just say the internet, period.  It ruined humanity as far as I am concerned.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Both are correct.  Either way you have to roll the dice a LOT and wade through human pollution to get into a situation that doesn't suck.

It's always been this way, but it was more tolerable when the economy was functional and dignified work and home ownership was still possible for most
View Quote

A friend of mine has a much larger business than mine, and as a result has a much larger crew.

We are in adjacent and overlapping fields of work.

He's told me 100 times to stay medium sized and keep a manageable sized crew. He needs a lot of guys on the payroll now to run his operation, and he said his number one headache every day is his employees and managing them.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#8]
It's amazing how absolutely retarded young people are these days.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:27:26 PM EDT
[#9]
We wasted patriotism and youth on Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan and a few other dumpster fires.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Liberals and the digital Revolution happened.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:07:36 PM EDT
[#11]
We were raised by single parents, but really raised by public schools and daycare.  We were fed shit because our parent(s) were too busy working to actually cook a meal and we were told that if we went to college (paid for by loans) and married a nice girl that she'd want to fuck us and everything would work out.  We were also told that we should just put money in the stock market (because it always goes up) and that if you worked hard that you'd advance professionally.  It wasn't true.

39 yo, married father of 5....
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Young people have always been retarded, we just have more ways of seeing it now.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#13]
You guys can fall out of bed and make $30k a year which is enough to live a life that would make generations of European princes envy you. This is as good as it gets, if you can’t make it here it’s because you’re either not trying or you’ve already quit. You are free men and you are responsible for what America looks like. Man up, and get the fuck to work.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Internet
Smart phones
Public education
Diversity over merit hiring
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:22:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I often wonder why so many people wanted to leave their home towns, farms, small towns, ect.  Leaving behind their family, friends, and community to chase after money instead of being satisfied to just make an honest living and raise their own family in such a place and continue local traditions and support the community.
View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:30:38 PM EDT
[#16]
"Wrong" was purposely being promoted in our country for the last hundred+ years, injected in such small doses it's hard to detect until it has really built up into the system.

The depression took fathers and sons away from the household, WW2 convinced the women at home to vote for anything that would keep their kids safe at any cost. After 1950 the march through the institutions gets cranked up.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:32:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Young people have always been retarded, we just have more ways of seeing it now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of older people also have a warped view of what retarded is, just because a 25 year old doesn’t know every Andy Griffith episode by heart doesn’t mean they are retarded.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:37:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You guys can fall out of bed and make $30k a year which is enough to live a life that would make generations of European princes envy you. This is as good as it gets, if you can’t make it here it’s because you’re either not trying or you’ve already quit. You are free men and you are responsible for what America looks like. Man up, and get the fuck to work.
View Quote

This is master leveling trolling.  I haven't seen work this good in a long time around here.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I think what boomers can't seem to process either is that there are simply more people today than back in the past. With a population of over 340 million, of course America is going to be fucking shittier.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:43:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

How OLD are you?    
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I often wonder why so many people wanted to leave their home towns, farms, small towns, ect.  Leaving behind their family, friends, and community to chase after money instead of being satisfied to just make an honest living and raise their own family in such a place and continue local traditions and support the community.
View Quote

Sometimes the work just isn't there and sometimes people just want to see other pars of the world.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

How OLD are you?    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How OLD are you?    

If he's not trolling, I think he means that in America, even our poor people are fat, have running water, heat in the winter, cool air in the summer, ice cubes, 24/7 entertainment, and access to free healthcare.  I know, I know, healthcare is expensive.  However, if you are poor you can have healthcare and not pay for it.  What are they going to do, sue you?
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:49:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Meant most politely, paper is not a cutting edge industry these days.  I doubt it attracts the best and brightest.

A lot has changed in 33 years in the world, and paper is one of them.
View Quote

Eh, still making the same paper I did 33 years ago. The digital revolution that lets you shop from your couch has made the demand for boxes go up.

It’s work, hard work, that the latest generation can’t take.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 10:03:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ok boomer. When your generation stops "paying their taxes" in iTunes gift cards when called by "IRS Agent Officer John Smith" who happens to have a heavy Indian accent, then we can talk.

Your generation benefitted from some of the best economic times in human history. Remember...it all went to shit on your generations watch.
View Quote

Jealous much? Don't worry, a hard rain's a gonna fall.

There will be enough shit sandwich to go around.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 10:14:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Eh, still making the same paper I did 33 years ago. The digital revolution that lets you shop from your couch has made the demand for boxes go up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meant most politely, paper is not a cutting edge industry these days.  I doubt it attracts the best and brightest.

A lot has changed in 33 years in the world, and paper is one of them.

lol

I think what happens now is a lot of the "latest generation" realizes that shit pay for shit work isn't a good deal. So they walk.

You want to keep people? Pay them. Invest in training. Pay them. (I said it twice because so many companies fail at this part. Your starting wage of $16 in, let's be generous, 1989, is now $38.74. Do they pay that as a starting wage now? Does the wage scale ramp the same way it did for you for 33 years? Answer: no.)
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:22:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If he's not trolling, I think he means that in America, even our poor people are fat, have running water, heat in the winter, cool air in the summer, ice cubes, 24/7 entertainment, and access to free healthcare.  I know, I know, healthcare is expensive.  However, if you are poor you can have healthcare and not pay for it.  What are they going to do, sue you?
View Quote

That is exactly what I mean. Poors in America that don’t even try have cell phones, hair extensions, drug habits, and cars they drive on paved roads with bridges spanning massive rivers.

Not trolling, never have that I know of. The “America is done” crowd is nothing more than excuse making for lack of performance.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:25:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Bad parenting and hedonistic lifestyles.
Greed and materialism.

This all started post WWII and has been going downhill since.

The US was in a very unique position after the second World War. The time period allowed for a lot of upward mobility and comfortable lifestyles that,  historically, the average person would never experience. That time is done. We are gradually returning back to the way it has been for most of history. A few wealthy elites at the top and every body else.  

Arfcommers seen to generally skew older (boomers) and upper middle class. They won't admit that they greatly benefitted from this unique time period.

In before all the guys that started working right off the tit, grew up with no electricity and had to catch rats for supper but pulled themselves up by the bootstraps graduated with a masters degree, Special Ops veteran, million dollar business, big tit wife, two lambos before 19.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:29:44 PM EDT
[#28]
participation trophy
social media
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:34:09 PM EDT
[#29]
All that I know, as I was born in 1963, is that it is all somehow my fault and I feel absolutely no guilt for it.

Actually, I revel in it. Basking in the glory of having caused it all through the vanity of my work ethic and the arrogance of my thrift.  I’ll happily spend every cent of my social security on night vision and reloading supplies, making beautiful snow angels in hundreds of thousands of primers in complete darkness in which only I can see. Knowing without a doubt, it’s all my fault.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:48:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Paying the ignorant to breed.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:57:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
With an attitude like that, no one would've set sail and strike for the new world to make something out of nothing.

Screw that.

America is a nation of go getters, entrepreneurs, amd risk takers. American exceptionalism is the belief that anyone from anywhere can come to the US or move from one end of the US to another end without a pot to piss in and make something of themselves. And the best part is, if they fail, they can dust themselves off and try again.

My family came to the US in 1961 with nothing but the clothes on their back, a photo album, and their Cuban passports. We've achieved the American Dream and did it by working hard. I have family scattered in FL, NY, NJ, CA, OK, and NE. We could have stayed in Cuba and look where that would have gotten us.

My wife at 18 said fuck it and left Puerto Rico for Florida with a few bucks in her purse and nothing else. She busted her ass and graduated with honors from FIU and made something of herself. If she stayed back in PR, she'd have nothing but a high school education, working a dead-end minimum wage job. Instead, she's in top demand in every career field she's worked in to where competitive offers are constantly made to steal her.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 12:01:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Each generation has been programmed by an ever-more-left extremist groups of teachers, who then grow up to make the next generation even more weak, pampered, entitled, and leftist.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 12:03:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Public schools.

Dept. of Education.

Fatherless homes.
View Quote
FP certainly sums up a major part of it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 12:06:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Ok boomer. When your generation stops "paying their taxes" in iTunes gift cards when called by "IRS Agent Officer John Smith" who happens to have a heavy Indian accent, then we can talk.

Your generation benefitted from some of the best economic times in human history. Remember...it all went to shit on your generations watch.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 12:12:13 AM EDT
[#35]
zentradi nailed it on page 2 .... I agree whole heartedly.  This coming from an old 76y/o guy
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 12:23:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
IMO, the internet is the worst thing to happen to humanity in my lifetime. It caters to the worst of human nature.
View Quote

Do you remember the tabloid magazines such as the National Enquirer that used to have such a hold on people?!

Those definitely catered to the lowest common denominator.

The unwashed masses have always been with us. The internet just made us more aware with the People of Walmart and similar.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 12:23:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

30k isn’t shit but you’re not wrong.

The worst thing to happen is the ridiculous victim mentality that has infected everything. It used to be only small segments of society that would blame the world for every bad decision they made, now it’s conservatives that revel in it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 12:35:57 AM EDT
[#38]
80 years of good living and plenty to eat made people soft.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 1:11:43 AM EDT
[#39]
As a millennial i never understood why so many generations were such fuck ups. Seemed like it took them to damn near their 30s to figure out life.

But talking to my dad and grandparents I think it’s pretty common. Just a little different for each generation.

Also I do think hard times create tough people. World wars, great depressions, either you toughen up early in life or you die. But when times are easy you can date away your life in your moms basement watching anime and it doesn’t matter.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 1:17:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I left my small town of 1k population in Northern Maine to join the AF in '94, I didn't want to work in the woods cutting wood for the pulp factories. 24 years later I retired and still didn't got back, it's now a ghost town...
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 1:52:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Because that sounds like a life of mediocrity.     I often envy the people who are satisfied with that sort of existence, but for those of us who left, it’s not so much that we wanted to, but more like, we Needed to.  

There’s not much upward mobility, in the bucolic utopia you described.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because that sounds like a life of mediocrity.     I often envy the people who are satisfied with that sort of existence, but for those of us who left, it’s not so much that we wanted to, but more like, we Needed to.  

There’s not much upward mobility, in the bucolic utopia you described.

Some places also don't provide the means to get into the jobs that would be needed to buy a property and comfortably raise a family. That is unless you're joining a family business or have family land that can be carved off for you.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 1:56:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Everyone I graduated high school with that stayed in the small town I grew up in works at Walmart or one of the various restaurants or gas stations in town.

I’d wager all of them qualify for welfare.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone I graduated high school with that stayed in the small town I grew up in works at Walmart or one of the various restaurants or gas stations in town.

I’d wager all of them qualify for welfare.

Pretty much this.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 2:05:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I’m sitting here, smoking a prime rib on the porch and having a cocktail, wondering where we went wrong.

When I started in the paper industry 33 years ago, they were sought after jobs.  You might have had to wait 2-3 years just for an interview. Now we hire them on the spot, and they don’t last their training and evaluation period.

Had a job fair last fall, 800 people showed up and we hired one electrician and I’m not sure he’s still at the mill. The operations group hired some to shovel bark and wood chips. Might have hired a few mechanics too but overall less than 40 hired.

In the ‘80’s I left home, got a degree and never looked back. As did my brother and sister.  I’ve told my dad he hit the lotto, but in reality we were raised correctly.

Where did the country go wrong?
View Quote

The boomers blew an "education" credit bubble to pay the useless members of their cohort while systemically not training their replacements, and firing underlings that could be moved up into new positions to cut costs. Also offshoring need to know shit to save money.

The boomers also inflated all forms of housing so that it is unaffordable. With rent and college debt consuming most income of younger generations and NO YEILD ON A SIMPLE FUCKING SAVINGS ACCOUNT FOR OVER A DECADE BECAUSE THE FED HAD THEIR BACK. Top men stuff.

So that is why shit is broke.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 2:08:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Leftists

They saw Gen X as post racial and decrying all their bullshit the Baby Boomers embraced, so they had to pivot.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 2:10:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some places have limited economic opportunities
Back in the really old days the older males inherited the land and titles from dear old dad while younger sons had to make their own way in the world
Nowadays the politics of a place can drive you from a place that your family has lived in for generations
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 2:18:54 AM EDT
[#46]
It’s bizarre to witness. Going to get worse before it gets better probably. This current crop of kids are too lazy to even reproduce. And a lot of the ones that do are just cranking out more useless nonproductive drones.

Pre pandemic where I work we would have a small line of people waiting each Monday for a job interview. Not anymore. Heck, it’s not uncommon for new hires to not come back from lunch on the first day. We have had an opening in our electrical dept for a couple years. We will train. We did get two potential electrical candidates hired a couple years ago. Both young guys. One was decent but left for a better paying position. Couldn’t blame him. Sucks losing him. The other that stayed turned out to be a woke POS that when he does show up for work is like having 2 good guys home sick.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 2:34:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Only shitbirds work for shitbirds
They deserve each other.

The fish always matches the bait.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 2:43:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:The worst thing to happen is the ridiculous victim mentality that has infected everything. It used to be only small segments of society that would blame the world for every bad decision they made, now it’s conservatives that revel in it.
View Quote
Spot on.

Just look at all of the angry generational blaming going on right here in this thread.

People don't realize that their own rotten attitude makes them fail in life.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 2:45:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It’s bizarre to witness. Going to get worse before it gets better probably. This current crop of kids are too lazy to even reproduce. And a lot of the ones that do are just cranking out more useless nonproductive drones.

Pre pandemic where I work we would have a small line of people waiting each Monday for a job interview. Not anymore. Heck, it’s not uncommon for new hires to not come back from lunch on the first day. We have had an opening in our electrical dept for a couple years. We will train. We did get two potential electrical candidates hired a couple years ago. Both young guys. One was decent but left for a better paying position. Couldn’t blame him. Sucks losing him. The other that stayed turned out to be a woke POS that when he does show up for work is like having 2 good guys home sick.
View Quote

Anecdotally, my wife and I were at the park yesterday afternoon and she noticed there were roughly an equal amount of people pushing dogs in strollers as there were adults pushing kids. Some were even riding their bikes with their dogs in those attachments that allow them to pull their kids in the back.

Weird
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 2:51:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Smart phones
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top