Quoted:
Tesla Cybertruck with solar panels.
View Quote

I like this idea, but I fear this will draw a lot of unwanted attention
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Can you "easily“ swap in a little 3 cyl. diesel?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Side by side. Very very capable in almost any terrain, no electronics to track you like new cars, and depending on what you get they’re usually pretty damn reliable.

Oh and you can throw tracks on them if you really want to.

https://i.imgur.com/bOyc0L8.jpg

My Club Car Carryall 1700 already has a 3cyl kubota diesel, solid rear axle, 4wd, dump bed and seating for 5 or 6.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Jeep.  And not due to capability or reliability.  Due to spare parts.  They are fucking everywhere.   Every parking lot full of abandoned cars will be like a Pep Boys for you.
View Quote

If you want to find spare parts this is your answer...

There won't be any Toyotas available because they will all still be running....

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Something old that will still run after EMP blast

Or a horse
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I’ve always thought this or a diesel Land Cruiser. 7.3’s are tank engines, don’t produce enough power to break things, develop more than enough power if your not pulling a fully loaded trailer up a mountain pass, and run forever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’d vote something diesel that can be ran with multi fuels is reliable but new enough parts are readily available. I’d say Super Duty or Excursion with a 7.3 reliable work horse but things that typically will cause issue are easy to access and work on.

I’ve always thought this or a diesel Land Cruiser. 7.3’s are tank engines, don’t produce enough power to break things, develop more than enough power if your not pulling a fully loaded trailer up a mountain pass, and run forever.

The problem I would have with diesel land cruisers would be parts availability. If you do break something your likely hosed but every town in the country has a supply of second Gen super duty’s.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#6]

What is this car? Even modified, idk if it'd be my first choice
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:05:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Something like this I'm sure would be useful. But not if you're trying to fly under the radar lol
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Gladiator technical.
View Quote

I'd love one of these
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:06:36 PM EDT
[#9]
My Outback gets better mpg than any other ICE vehicle listed so far.  Range is going to be important.

I'm my perfect world, a completely built 5cyl diesel g wagen or a new diesel 70 series.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:07:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Something with a diesel engine.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:08:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tesla Cybertruck with solar panels.

I think an electric side by side with a 30 cal full auto airgun on a pintle mount would be the ultimate secret squirrel perimeter defense vehicle
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Works against a Terminator.
What else other than a Jeep CJ has been proven?

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I always thought a older Tahoe....they run good can do okay 4x4 and there are tons out there for parts.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Unless it is nuclear powered. nothing will last very long.
In the movies or on TV the hero just fires up the car that has been sitting abandoned for several years, not in the real world.
Even the gas in filling station tanks will go bad or get contaminated.

The best you could do is some sort of bug out vehicle that can get you to your cabin in the mountains, if it has enough gas, and if the roads are not completely blocked.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:14:57 PM EDT
[#15]

This is an interesting choice - small, maneuverable, relatively quick, and definitely capable off road. Any idea on long-term reliability, parts availability and ease of repairs?
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:16:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
After years of chasing this conundrum
I’ve tried 7.3 Super Duties, 5.9 Dodge Cummins, 4.0 Jeep,  3.8 jeep, Ect.
I’d say something made by Toyota is your best bet, NOT that Toyota is the most capable or most HP / TQ, or longest range.
But its probably the most likely to NOT give you problems especially when parts would be hard to come by
View Quote

Right - long term mechanical reliability seems like one of the most important attributes (maybe even the most important).
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:18:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Depends on your specific needs.  With the information provided, I'm going with two bicycles.
View Quote

I think a bike for sure is the most ideal for an individual. What is your pick if you had to move 4 or more people on a regular basis?
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Saving the vid to watch later while not at work
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:19:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm partial to my TJ Rubicon.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:20:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Unless it is nuclear powered. nothing will last very long.
In the movies or on TV the hero just fires up the car that has been sitting abandoned for several years, not in the real world.
Even the gas in filling station tanks will go bad or get contaminated.

The best you could do is some sort of bug out vehicle that can get you to your cabin in the mountains, if it has enough gas, and if the roads are not completely blocked.
View Quote

Yep.  Depends on how long the S will be HTF, but if we are talking about an extended period, a horse would probably be best.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:21:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If it is a gas hog then it is BS.  

Fuel will be in super tight supply and most likely regulated (i.e., taken over by govt.) so, IMHO, it has to be fuel efficient as can be.

A 4WD with out gas is really quite useless.
View Quote

Very important to consider. I think having 4wd is ideal, but not many 4wd vehicles out there getting 40+mpg lol

Any thoughts on diesel or biodiesel? Any other way for someone to make their own fuel?
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#22]
A horse

Maybe two
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Modern ethanol-gasoline will either be used up very quickly or degrade to the point it is unusable. It doesn't store very well.  Those of us who have experience fighting this fight with boat engines know what I'm talking about. So the first hurdle to get over would be choosing something that would either use a renewable fuel source, or something that uses a fuel you can somehow produce on your own.  

If not then what you'll be left with is a very large, stationary target.

edit : I was assuming we were talking about a complete collapse of society ,  WOROL ? If we're simply talking about a short supply type scenario (like some South American countries?) then buy a damn Corrola or Prius and call it good.
View Quote

I was thinking moreso full-blown collapse scenario. Any thoughts about biodiesel? I know virtually nothing about it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Yes, but the military version with belt feds and shit on it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I think a bike for sure is the most ideal for an individual. What is your pick if you had to move 4 or more people on a regular basis?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Depends on your specific needs.  With the information provided, I'm going with two bicycles.

With the information you provided in the op ? A Rickshaw

The long-term reliability of a vehicle means very little unless you can acquire ,or somehow manufacture , the fuel necessary to keep it running.  Since I do not own a home refinery I'm screwed if I ever find myself in a very sincere EOTWAWKI  ,  along with most members here.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:26:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Echo the gasoline capacity comment.

I'm a jeep guy. My lament is the gas tank.

If it's a mass event and you're bugging out, you need to be able to get beyond standard gas tank range (think a 300 mile radius) of any major urban area quickly without gas stations.

If you're on the east coast, you're probably fucked.
View Quote

I'll probably drive north until I hit lake superior. Don't tell the michiganders on me
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:27:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:27:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:27:55 PM EDT
[#30]
M35A2 Deuce and a Half.

Multifuel engine, will burn any hydrocarbon.

Bring your own oil filtration system with you. There’ll be plenty of abandoned vehicles everywhere.

LC
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:31:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Base model cost about 45k in 1944 dollars.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69887/YYEcCUP_jpg-2245868.JPG
View Quote

this is sweet lmao what the heck is it and where can I buy one?
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:32:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think the answer is a CTL with a trailer.

Tracks, can lift/dig/pull, somewhat armored, easy on diesel.  Slow, but not much will stop you.

View Quote

Forgive my ignorance, what's a CTL?
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:32:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Hear me out...

3rd Gen Rav4 Sport (06-2012) with some mild A/T tires.

You get the capability of a light off road vehicle that can handle a variety of terrain, with the on road performance of a sports sedan, but with more storage space.

3.5L V6 269 HP
0-60 in a little over 6 seconds
Tows 3000+ lbs with a tow package.
Handles like a car on road.
AWD with the option to lock into 4WD up to 20 or 25 mph, and the ability to turn of traction control. They do surprisingly well in snow, sand, steep hills, and other light to medium off road situations. Sure a lifted Jeep of some flavor will do better, but you aren't outtunning anyone in one of those.

It's not huge so it can squeeze into tighter spots that a big suv or truck.

Bombproof, tons of Rav4 on the road, lots of parts out there. Easy to fix.

It's the perfect balance of size, power, capability, handling, decent MPG, etc.

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
80 series Land Cruiser, triple locked, with rebuilt diesel engine
View Quote

I like this idea
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:33:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:34:30 PM EDT
[#36]
In a perfect rubber bullet world, a Suzuki Samurai with a vw diesel swap engine.

All this perfect vehicle this and that talk for roaming the countryside in your “bug out” vehicle is utter nonsense.

The first skirmish you get into, you’ll be hunting for another vehicle with less bullet holes and a non leaking radiator if you survive.

If haven’t already moved your primary residence to a sparsely populated area, you aren’t thinking at all. You are dreaming.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Side by side. Very very capable in almost any terrain, no electronics to track you like new cars, and depending on what you get they’re usually pretty damn reliable.

Oh and you can throw tracks on them if you really want to.

https://i.imgur.com/bOyc0L8.jpg
View Quote

This option really seems to make a lot of sense. In a true SHTF/collapse, I cannot imagine needing to go on mad-max style raids requiring big armor and guns, but having quick, reliable transport for general errands and needs around your immediate AO.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
1994 Ford Bronco XLT 5.8L with manual hubs.
Identical to mine.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/541243/7955FC0D-79ED-4BE9-BCF3-125D67F89F2D_jpe-2245891.JPG
View Quote

Nice! My dad has been restoring an '87. Sweet truck
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Toyota.  But not just anything Toyota.  

One that DOES NOT have a timing belt.

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Something old that will still run after EMP blast

Or a horse
View Quote

A horse! Love this idea - I've wondered about getting a couple (sometime in the future).
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#41]
A diesel Hilux and a Kawi KLR 650

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:45:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
1994 Ford Bronco XLT 5.8L with manual hubs.
Identical to mine.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/541243/7955FC0D-79ED-4BE9-BCF3-125D67F89F2D_jpe-2245891.JPG
View Quote

Gross.  As an owner of a 1994 Bronco and intimately familiar with all of its quirks, no... just no.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:47:24 PM EDT
[#43]
79 Series Toyota Land Cruiser
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:49:16 PM EDT
[#45]
A white 4x4 work truck with a utility bed.

Seriously.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:53:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Wheel drive truck or SUV

Dependable
Lots of spare parts
Does not draw attention.

Not a gas hog
View Quote

This last is a tough one, honestly.   But if you can make do with ~20mpg in level highway cruising you have a decent amount of options.    Some of the newer domestic half tons tend to beat the smaller trucks (Tacoma, etc) in highway mileage, if you're talking gas engines.

You want a truck.  Hauling lots of fuel in an SUV is a pain in the ass and the pickup is more versatile for heavy/large cargo.

Mid-size trucks like a Taco will fit more places if you have dense forest or mountains but full size will hold quite a bit more.

SxS if you're only talking local transport and no huge cargo, just for gas mileage.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#47]
If it’s within 6 months, any 4 runner.

Post 6 months when gas degrades. Horse and pack mule.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:01:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm not sure how "easy" it is, but they make a version for the military. (though it's technically a Rzr, not a General.)

Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:05:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If it’s within 6 months, any 4 runner.

Post 6 months when gas degrades. Horse and pack mule.
View Quote

This is good. I also like bicycles with a small trailer is a good option Quiet and very mobile.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 1:06:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

A horse! Love this idea - I've wondered about getting a couple (sometime in the future).
View Quote
A bicycle will give you the same mobility, and they don't need to be fed and watered and brushed every day, they aren't constantly throwing shoes, and they don't kick and bite and run away.

I say this as a serious horseman.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top