Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Only correct answer for this thread is a modern Subaru.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Budget?
View Quote

I’m not really in the market.

I’m sort of a “car guy” and get dragged into conservations/asked for advice.

But this is a segment I have zero experience/knowledge of vs some other niches.

The people ranged from people sending kids off to college, people whose kids were getting their first jobs, people sick of the depreciation on their luxury SUVs, people sick of increasing gas prices in their 17mpg vehicles, people that don’t need to put 4 kids in car seats plus two other kids in the vehicle anymore, and 20-something young professionals about to start making like 97th-98th percentile individual incomes but while concurrently starting a family, buying a home, and having massive student debt to pay off.  

Probably 35K and under despite the ability to drop far more into it.

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'd be checking out the Crosstrek.
View Quote

Back in late 2014, I had a Scion TC sport coupe and was looking at getting something with AWD again, and checked out various vehicles online and found this video of the 2013 Crosstrek being tested at the Range Rover course.  Seeing it go on to 3 wheels at one point as it followed the Rover through the course, I figured it would do perfectly fine getting me around in the city streets or the lake roads I live on now in the winter.  I ended up getting a new 2015 in January of 15 and still have it as my daily driver. And it looks like the one in the video, though I ditched the big chrome grill and put a custom black mesh one one that I made, modified from the one Subaru offered, plus added the rear spoiler to it myself.

The Subaru XV takes on the Land Rover Defender

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

@Josh

Are you saying the 4 Runner is an upgrade over the Highlander? I've been looking at Highlanders and haven't considered a 4Runner
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My hybrid highlander has done great work on all the snow and ice around northern VA the last week or so.

It’s 13 years old, has a quarter million miles on it, routine maintenance and I’d expect it to go another quarter million with zero problems if I weren’t about to trade up to a 4Runner.

The AWD is literally idiot proof, it just works, no buttons or any reason to think about it at all. Just drive.

@Josh

Are you saying the 4 Runner is an upgrade over the Highlander? I've been looking at Highlanders and haven't considered a 4Runner

The Highlander is an Avalon with an SUV body.  It's a car that looks like an SUV (obviously it's got better ground clearance, bigger tires, and such).  The 4Runner is a truck.  It's completely different in powertrain and everything else really.

The 4runner also is 4WD, not AWD (the Limited trim level does have a semi-AWD like Torsen center diff as I recall).  If I'm going to put someone like my wife into a vehicle she can drive around and be able to get through shitty roads, I want her in an AWD vehicle, not a 4WD.  4WD requires a lot more skill to drive effectively, AWD is designed to require essentially zero input from the driver, it's all computerized and just does what needs to be done to keep you from doing something stupid.  Plus 4WD vehicles are primarily RWD, which is not good for novice drivers in inclement weather.

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You price one lately?

They aren't really in the price range of what he is looking for.
View Quote

Passport with AWD starts at about 40k. Budget wasn't initially stated but now 35k.

Just giving my 2 cents based on shopping and buying one in the last year. Best bang for the buck was the Passport based on my opinion. From 35k budget to 45k range is a huge improvement for what you get, and going up anymore from there is diminishing returns unless looking for some sort of status symbol.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Didn’t know these were on the horizon!
They look good! Hopefully they use the same components that make the CX-5 reliable.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126656/A1D14FD7-E188-4C04-9E2C-EE7D1E2304DB_png-2231751.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep people over look Mazda. The CX-5 is up his alley, but so is the new CX-50.

Didn’t know these were on the horizon!
They look good! Hopefully they use the same components that make the CX-5 reliable.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126656/A1D14FD7-E188-4C04-9E2C-EE7D1E2304DB_png-2231751.JPG

The term SUV has really shifted.  I think we need to bring back the term ORV to help clarify.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#7]
CX5 or RAV4
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Back in late 2014, I had a Scion TC sport coupe and was looking at getting something with AWD again, and checked out various vehicles online and found this video of the 2013 Crosstrek being tested at the Range Rover course.  Seeing it go on to 3 wheels at one point as it followed the Rover through the course, I figured it would do perfectly fine getting me around in the city streets or the lake roads I live on now in the winter.  I ended up getting a new 2015 in January of 15 and still have it as my daily driver. And it looks like the one in the video, though I ditched the big chrome grill and put a custom black mesh one one that I made, modified from the one Subaru offered, plus added the rear spoiler to it myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWdQqMRdTrs

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWdQqMRdTrs

im actually pretty impressed with my girlfriends crosstrek.

it gets my vote.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 3:09:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd be comparison shopping CX-5, Rav 4, Forrester, and maybe a Hyundai/Kia variant since their new AWD system doesn't suck.
View Quote

This is the correct answer. We chose the CX-5 over the Rav4 and CRV, and it was substantially cheaper even though that didn't factor in to the decision.  Auto transmission compared to the CVT was a plus as well.  I would not overlook the KIA/Hyundai as well.

Going up a size, the Telluride is a homerun and destroys everything else in its class/price.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nah, OP was descriptive.

Mazda CX-5 sounds up his alley. Incredibly reliable, not as expensive as some of the competition, and holds value decently. And they look nice, to boot.

I personally feel from the description, a Japanese car should be very high on your list.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126656/B0B85E13-2D48-4644-89AD-97088AEB7D1F_png-2231743.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Half the replies in here will be Jeep the other half will be Tacoma’s with a snorkel… anything less you may die

Nah, OP was descriptive.

Mazda CX-5 sounds up his alley. Incredibly reliable, not as expensive as some of the competition, and holds value decently. And they look nice, to boot.

I personally feel from the description, a Japanese car should be very high on your list.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126656/B0B85E13-2D48-4644-89AD-97088AEB7D1F_png-2231743.JPG

This.  And...available with a turbo.   Turbocharge all things!
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Mazda or Lesbaru.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Passport with AWD starts at about 40k. Budget wasn't initially stated but now 35k.

Just giving my 2 cents based on shopping and buying one in the last year. Best bang for the buck was the Passport based on my opinion. From 35k budget to 45k range is a huge improvement for what you get, and going up anymore from there is diminishing returns unless looking for some sort of status symbol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You price one lately?

They aren't really in the price range of what he is looking for.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Honda fanboi and love the platform, but Passports were hard to find below $45k in 2019 when I was shopping them, and that hasn't gotten better.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Crosstrek with a 2" lift... My boss is getting one built and that thing will do all you are asking, and then some, when it is done.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's German (Rebadged Opel Insignia) and looks better than a Mercedes of the same style. 2.0L GM turbo engine, AWD, tons of room, aisin trans.
View Quote

You can remove the plastic cladding and they look good
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The Highlander is an Avalon with an SUV body.  It's a car that looks like an SUV (obviously it's got better ground clearance, bigger tires, and such).  The 4Runner is a truck.  It's completely different in powertrain and everything else really.

The 4runner also is 4WD, not AWD (the Limited trim level does have a semi-AWD like Torsen center diff as I recall).  If I'm going to put someone like my wife into a vehicle she can drive around and be able to get through shitty roads, I want her in an AWD vehicle, not a 4WD.  4WD requires a lot more skill to drive effectively, AWD is designed to require essentially zero input from the driver, it's all computerized and just does what needs to be done to keep you from doing something stupid.  Plus 4WD vehicles are primarily RWD, which is not good for novice drivers in inclement weather.

View Quote

Yeah, the 4Runner is a true SUV with superior off road performance.

It lacks the sophisticated full time AWD on bad road conditions as, say, an Acura MDX SH-AWD.

It also has a very dated drivetrain, that, while reliable and adequate is not near on par with current competitor mpg/hp/torque profiles.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It lacks the sophisticated full time AWD on bad road conditions as, say, an Acura MDX SH-AWD.

It also has a very dated drivetrain, that, while reliable and adequate is not near on par with current competitor mpg/hp/torque profiles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it's a truck.  It's highly capable off road regardless, it's one of the most sought after vehicles for it.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 8:35:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

There was also talk of the RAV hybrid being perfect because it was a great mpg AWD, decent resale/depreciation, and a 7500 dollar rebate for being a hybrid.
Not sure if that is still true, there was also talk of some brands of EVs not getting a rebate anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really like the wife’s ‘19 RAV4.

https://nextcloud.fstech.ltd/s/W9qyNbNj9WaonBB/preview

There was also talk of the RAV hybrid being perfect because it was a great mpg AWD, decent resale/depreciation, and a 7500 dollar rebate for being a hybrid.
Not sure if that is still true, there was also talk of some brands of EVs not getting a rebate anymore.

Our non-hybrid routinely gets 32-33mpg with me driving now after 5K miles on the odometer.

My GX gets 19mpg after the first 1K miles so far.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Volvo S60.  Used are cheap to buy and great cars.
View Quote
This is the answer. I just totaled mine when i hit a deer. Replaced it with an xc60. Great snow cars.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My hybrid highlander has done great work on all the snow and ice around northern VA the last week or so.

It’s 13 years old, has a quarter million miles on it, routine maintenance and I’d expect it to go another quarter million with zero problems if I weren’t about to trade up to a 4Runner.

The AWD is literally idiot proof, it just works, no buttons or any reason to think about it at all. Just drive.

@Josh

Technically the 4Runner Limited and the GX 460 use a full time 4WD system with a 60/40 rear/front bias and they have a true Hi and Lo range.  They also have a Torsen locking center differential to make it a 50/50 split.

The fact that there are no levers involved led me to the GX 460 as I didn’t want the leather or X-REAS of the Limited and I didn’t want to mess with standard 4WD engagement methods either.

I’ve only been able to mess around with it a bit in the snow so far, however, moving from dry pavement to snowy areas and back again without having to change anything is awesome.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 8:43:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 8:53:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Technically the 4Runner Limited and the GX 460 use a full time 4WD system with a 60/40 rear/front bias and they have a true Hi and Lo range.  They also have a Torsen locking center differential to make it a 50/50 split.

The fact that there are no levers involved led me to the GX 460 as I didn’t want the leather or X-REAS of the Limited and I didn’t want to mess with standard 4WD engagement methods either.

I’ve only been able to mess around with it a bit in the snow so far, however, moving from dry pavement to snowy areas and back again without having to change anything is awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Josh

Yeah, I didn't want full time 4WD, I'm going with an ORP 4runner.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

What’s funny is that even being a V8 and full time 4WD the GX is getting the same mileage as my 4Runner did.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 10:19:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

What’s funny is that even being a V8 and full time 4WD the GX is getting the same mileage as my 4Runner did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 4runner is notorious for that unfortunately.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 10:22:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. OP already has a bigger vehicle so an outback is redundant. Crosstrek has the ground clearance and AWD to get through a lot of crap.

But get the sport or limited with the better engine. More fun to drive than the underpowered regular model.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 10:29:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Another vote for Mazda.

I have the 2021 Mazda 3 turbo sedan (AWD) Very fun car to drive

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 11:40:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Crosstrek with a 2" lift... My boss is getting one built and that thing will do all you are asking, and then some, when it is done.
View Quote

I saw one in the Kansas Subaru showroom last year that had the lift and it made me want to see about doing it to my XV.  It looked good lifted with some nice black wheels and bigger tires that they had on it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 11:52:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

And turbo. I'm currently dailying an AWD turbo Mazda 3 hatchback. Great daily especially with snow tires in this season. I really like the new CX-50 coming, though, so I'll probably end up in that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I saw an AWD Mazda 3 the other day; didn't know they came in AWD.

And turbo. I'm currently dailying an AWD turbo Mazda 3 hatchback. Great daily especially with snow tires in this season. I really like the new CX-50 coming, though, so I'll probably end up in that.

Mazda3 hatchback owner checking in. Ours is FWD and the year before the turbo came available.

Mazda3 is fun if you want a car (sedan or hatchback).

If you want some more ride height, look at the CX30. It's essentially a lifted Mazda3 hatch.

Both are available AWD, and with turbo.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 12:04:27 AM EDT
[#28]
I took my 2021 Hybrid Touring CR-V scouting with me looking for elk. It handled the switchbacks and grades of the mining & logging roads without issue. Compared to other similar vehicles I thought it was the quietest and most comfortable ride and felt it gave me the best bang for the buck when I bought it last year.

The paint even held up against the briars.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 12:09:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I took my 2021 Hybrid Touring CR-V scouting with me looking for elk. It handled the switchbacks and grades of the mining & logging roads without issue. Compared to other similar vehicles I thought it was the quietest and most comfortable ride and felt it gave me the best bang for the buck when I bought it last year.

The paint even held up against the briars.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/338344/269709364_5002378033106856_4052114251717-2232488.JPG
View Quote
I have a soft spot for CR-V's as I've owned one of every generation, but they are currently overpriced and overshadowed in their class, and Honda just isn't what it once was.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 12:12:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Seltos

Here is ours

23k with awd

@ramairthree
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:03:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks guys.I didn’t even know about half these cars.

Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:23:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Half the replies in here will be Jeep the other half will be Tacoma’s with a snorkel… anything less you may die
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:30:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Corolla Cross is the car op described.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#34]
What really amazes me is how close in size and features some of these are to other cars/CUVs from the same maker.

Is there really that much difference between a Corolla Cross vs RAV4, the KIA that’s a little smaller than the Sorenro, the Outback vs Forester vs Crosstek, etc.?
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 4:31:12 PM EDT
[#35]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIxcArAOprM
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Interesting.

I wonder how the SH-AWD of an Acura RDX would have done vs the RT-AWD system of the CR-V.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Tips

Never buy a CVT auto (Nissan)

Honda has had issues with gas getting in the oil (CRV)

Mazda and Toyota are tops for reliability

Mazda will be slightly cheaper.

Mazda has transitioned to AWD in everything.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Outback is superior to the other Subarus simply from a cargo capacity standpoint. You can fit a lot in the back behind the seats, where a Crosstrek or Forester will fit about the depth of a standard size suitcase turned sideways. Fold the seats down and you can fit a lot. Subarus roof bars are toolless and overall pretty useful.

RAV4s have gotten really popular, good luck getting a deal.

The Mazda SUVs are fine, but where they shine is their sedans and hatches. If you want a car that'll cruise 80+ comfortably and get 30 mpg + doing it, they are great. We run ours 7 hours across a very windy state on a regular basis, and the low profile makes the wind not push it around near as much as an SUV. Big ass trunk too.

No experience with the Hondas, but many I know have CRVs and like them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#39]
One spec I wish existed is driver seat height from the ground. One of the things I hate about my Impreza is how low it is. I'd love to see how they all compare with some kind of baseline.

Quoted:
Tips

Never buy a CVT auto (Nissan)

Honda has had issues with gas getting in the oil (CRV)

Mazda and Toyota are tops for reliability

Mazda will be slightly cheaper.

Mazda has transitioned to AWD in everything.
View Quote

As an option or everything they build is AWD?
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What really amazes me is how close in size and features some of these are to other cars/CUVs from the same maker.

Is there really that much difference between a Corolla Cross vs RAV4, the KIA that’s a little smaller than the Sorenro, the Outback vs Forester vs Crosstek, etc.?
View Quote

Cost of ownership over 3/5/10 years?
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Buddy has a CRV hybrid and he loves it so far.

I like the CX5 but the CX50 is
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
One spec I wish existed is driver seat height from the ground. One of the things I hate about my Impreza is how low it is. I'd love to see how they all compare with some kind of baseline.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

I can't stand low cars for dailying
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Interesting.

I wonder how the SH-AWD of an Acura RDX would have done vs the RT-AWD system of the CR-V.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.

They very intentionally left off anything with SH-AWD or HTRAC/Dynamax.

The intelligent, torque vectoring AWD systems do quite well against Subaru.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#44]
I don't like Subarus.

Best value sporty car is a Civic Si or the turbo Mazda3

Best value mid sized is a Mazda6

Best value small SUV is either the RAV4, CX5, or CRV depending on local deals.

Best value mid sized SUV is the Pilot

Best value sports car is the Corvette

There are no "Best value" full size or extra large SUVs.

Best value in smaller cars is a toss up depending on what you want.

Best value luxury car is the Genesis lineup and it isn't close.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 6:17:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe if they stretched it. And gave it a manual transmission.

TC
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Only correct answer for this thread is a modern old school Subaru.
View Quote

TC
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yeah, it's a truck.  It's highly capable off road regardless, it's one of the most sought after vehicles for it.  

View Quote

This. I almost soiled my pants the other day shopping Land Cruisers. 5 year old vehicles with a bunch of miles for $100k+. Yikes!

Off topic: That’s why the GX460’s are a steal at $50k.

TC
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 6:34:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Anything Toyota or honda
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

They say everything. I think it starts in 22 model year.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 7:15:26 PM EDT
[#50]
I've owned two crosstreks, two outback's, currently wife drives the Ascent. I have also had an Escape, Rav 4, and Sorento for work cars.

I would look at a new crosstrek, forester, or Mazda if I was looking today for that type vehicle.

I saw a Hyundai Santa Cruz yesterday. As much as I wanted to make fun of it it looked pretty good and might be in that segment.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top