Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gunboat 66....
View Quote
Nice!

Amel 55 here.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 2:40:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Something oceangoing with a shitload of range. Doesn’t need to be fast.

This one has always made me drool though....

Link Posted: 5/18/2018 4:10:50 AM EDT
[#3]
See this is really hard, I don't know if I would have just one boat....

I'd want a fishing boat. Something aluminum in the 26-40' range.

I'd want a destination cruiser. Maybe one of those old tug conversions, or maybe something fiberglass, in the 70-90' range. Take it around Alaska. Hell an ice reinforced vessel for the northern passage would be pretty neat too..

I'd want a skinny water jet boat. Both in mini 2 person 10' size for little rivers to blast around in and in the 20' range for the Columbia and offshoots.

But then what if I want to go elsewhere in the world? Then what? This is a tough question that warrants a lot of though.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 4:21:30 AM EDT
[#4]
For my current life situation I’d be extremely happy with a nice 17’x52” aluminum John boat with a 60/40 evinrude 4-stroke jet. Something fast enough to be fun on a river but manageable with a trolling motor for fishing.

In the next year I anticipate moving to a lake subdivision and my wants might change.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 4:42:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Most boats are fugly to me, but things like this give me the giggles. There's a 99% chance I'd kill myself in it though so I'll stick to dreaming

Attachment Attached File

Realistically, I'd probably have some kind of sporty-looking cabin cruiser. But something like the Brave Challenger would be kind of neat... an unassuming, somewhat homely beast that will do 60 knots

Attachment Attached File

Quoted:
This was for sale a few years back, tried to get my rich Microsoft friends to chip in and run it.

http://www.salish.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Elettra-III.jpg

85' boat made for the Marconi company to test radio equipment out in the middle of the ocean for long periods.
View Quote
I've been up on Cabot Tower on the hill where Marconi received his first radio transmission
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 4:46:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Freeman 37VH With quad Yamaha 300s :drool:

Edit: but my key west 1720 serves me and the fam just fine
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 5:13:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I settled for an Apache many moons ago.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Something about like this, that the wife and I can sail away in, from all stress and craziness in life and retire.  That's the current plan anyway.

Link Posted: 5/18/2018 8:35:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thinking about building one of these so the wife and i can poke around the flats and spoil islands on Sundays without much fuss. Easy to rig and sail single handed, easy to trailer, and pretty damned sea-worthy.

Core Sound 17

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.fWE5guX1IVFRMb_O4FcGqQHaFj%26pid%3D15.1&f=1
View Quote
cat ketch?
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:48:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Westsail 32
View Quote
Also very seaworthy, despite their nickname of 'wetsnail.'

One of those survived the "perfect storm" - inaccurately depicted in the movie of the same name. Owner was ordered by USCG to abandon ship, could lose his Captain's License if he did not comply, so he abandoned, then picked her up a while after the storm passed floating off the New Jersey coastline, intact & unharmed.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd love to, but they are not accepting new subscriptions!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you ever checked boneyard boats?
I've seen several Chris-Craft vessels available free (or cheap) to a good home.
Keeping in mind a free boat is like a free puppy...
I'd love to, but they are not accepting new subscriptions!
Too bad.
Check around. There are boats available. An acquaintance bought a 32' gaff-rigged wooden sloop for $20+/-, repaired & refitted it & is currently operating a business taking tourists out on her. That boat is really awesome, super stable in the water, smooth sailing!
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:00:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Funny I saw this thread, I'm expecting my new 26ft Harris pontoon to be delivered at 2PM.

Just a 40hp Merc, but it'll make a great beer drinking platform!

Should be something kinda like this, but in champaign:
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Axopar 24 at the moment.

Or a Padebco 25

Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#15]
This is all I need.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:03:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
cat ketch?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thinking about building one of these so the wife and i can poke around the flats and spoil islands on Sundays without much fuss. Easy to rig and sail single handed, easy to trailer, and pretty damned sea-worthy.

Core Sound 17

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.fWE5guX1IVFRMb_O4FcGqQHaFj%26pid%3D15.1&f=1
cat ketch?
Yep! Simple, inexpensive, and well balanced. It makes tacking and jibing simple and stress-free! Just pull the rudder over and you're basically done. And it goes down-wind like a dream.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:10:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

Hinckley 42
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:24:32 AM EDT
[#18]
The boat I mentioned in my last post. 141' racing/fishing schooner I helped build.

" />
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#19]
allseas 92

Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#21]

I read thru and see no acknowledgement of a great vessel, so.....

54' Buddy Davis Sportfisher

Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:44:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I read thru and see no acknowledgement of a great vessel, so.....

54' Buddy Davis Sportfisher

Pretty sure someone mentioned a 70' Davis on the first page or two.

I'm not an owner, but I've spent a lot of time on different sport fishing boats over the years and I've been most impressed with Spencer. Obviously a Carolina custom builder. Jarrett Bay and Bayliss were close seconds.

The Spencer literally makes a Viking feel like a toy boat in an ocean.

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Some of the old PTs are still around.  I remember these boats in Wildwood in the 1970s.  I worked on those docks in my early teens.  If you look down in the thread, the P-444, what I remember as the Big Flamingo, is still alive as a head boat in NY.

PT Boats in WIldwood NJ post-war

http://ptboatforum.com/PhotoGallery/images/SinnsDockPTboat.jpg
http://ptboatforum.com/PhotoGallery/images/Gz9f4.jpg

Any kid who grew up in Wildwood in the summers remembers this sight (along with the Fudgie-Wudgie guys walking the beach).
http://ptboatforum.com/PhotoGallery/images/Gzsyn.jpg

You'd hear the rumble of the engine for 10 minutes before you'd actually see the boat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Restored Elco PT boat.  The torpedos and tubes can be dummies, but I'm going to need operational guns.  And I want one of those field expedient P-39  37mm autocannons on the foredeck.

Or a 31' Bertram Sport Fisherman.

I'm an old woman and I like old boats.
Some of the old PTs are still around.  I remember these boats in Wildwood in the 1970s.  I worked on those docks in my early teens.  If you look down in the thread, the P-444, what I remember as the Big Flamingo, is still alive as a head boat in NY.

PT Boats in WIldwood NJ post-war

http://ptboatforum.com/PhotoGallery/images/SinnsDockPTboat.jpg
http://ptboatforum.com/PhotoGallery/images/Gz9f4.jpg

Any kid who grew up in Wildwood in the summers remembers this sight (along with the Fudgie-Wudgie guys walking the beach).
http://ptboatforum.com/PhotoGallery/images/Gzsyn.jpg

You'd hear the rumble of the engine for 10 minutes before you'd actually see the boat.
I’ve never seen one afloat, but I’ve been to the PT Boat Museum at Fall River.  It was the closest thing I’ve ever had to a religious experience with my clothes on.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I've never seen one afloat, but I've been to the PT Boat Museum at Fall River.  It was the closest thing I've ever had to a religious experience with my clothes on.
View Quote
Battleship cove is awesome.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 11:10:03 AM EDT
[#25]
This sexy ass barrel back Chris Craft with a Big Block V8

Link Posted: 5/18/2018 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Too bad.
Check around. There are boats available. An acquaintance bought a 32' gaff-rigged wooden sloop for $20+/-, repaired & refitted it & is currently operating a business taking tourists out on her. That boat is really awesome, super stable in the water, smooth sailing!
View Quote
My plan when I get close is to buy a 5th wheel and go prowl the yards down in Florida.  And yes, I am also planning a complete refurb.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You know that guy just wrecked it on Lake Havasu and killed him and a few others just a few weeks ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You know that guy just wrecked it on Lake Havasu and killed him and a few others just a few weeks ago.
I found out after I made the post.

Rip to the 3 of them

My brother was at Desert Storm on the water and saw it happen.  He thought I knew.

Unfortunately it’s a risk we take with power boats. I grew up on them and my family/friends are at Havasu all summer.

I still want a M35 regardless of the crash. Lickity Split was a beautiful boat.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#28]
HMS Surprise. Or the Sea Shadow, either one.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#29]
The thing about boats is that they're all compromises - which is a fancy way of saying there are thousands of boats for thousands of owners, all with different needs and styles.  There are those that focus on max speed, sailboaters, those with inland water only boats, trawlers, houseboats and beyond.  They're all awesome at what they do best - and I hope you enjoy every day you get on the water!  There is no perfect boat, but we all find the one that works for us (for now).

The unique thing about mariners is the brotherhood we all join when we cast off from the dock.  I'd drop everything to help any of you, and consider fellow mariners my brothers above all others.  Do your thing, chase your dream, find the boat that works for you, and get out and enjoy it.  When you're out - be respectful of other mariners, learn and follow the COLREGS, and help others in need.  The best people I've ever met are those off the beaten path on the water.  I look forward to seeing you all there!  I know that's not particularly helpful on what is your "dream boat," but the answer is - whatever boat I'm on.   It's the journey, not the destination....

- Capt Fox  (M/Y "Blue By You" and M/Y "Skyline")
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 8:49:00 PM EDT
[#30]
This is the current dream boat at the top of the list.

A 1963 Bryant 20'.  Most Bryants were actually built by Morris, which was out of the Marina I currently work at.  Not many pics available, and not many other examples around to compare to, but it's  neat boat, has a Chrysler 115 outboard, matches my 1957 olds AND 1961 built house. In previous ads the inside looks as good as the exterior, though I haven't gone to see the boat in person yet as I'm waiting to have cash in hand.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#32]
It started as a boat....

Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Fun fact, the little station opposite the cockpit doubles as a gun turret, and the radar they have is good enough to see cars on I5 coming into red beach.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:23:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Fun fact, the little station opposite the cockpit doubles as a gun turret, and the radar they have is good enough to see cars on I5 coming into red beach.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Id love to have a 28' Nordic Heat closed Bow. There are bigger and faster boats out on my local lake, but that Nordic would be perfect for me.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Hard to say.  Lots of great options, but the fact of the matter is, I wouldn't know how to pilot a big one and would fuck things up.

Probably a Hells Bay or an Action Craft.  If not one of those, then a 1754 WarEagle or a 19' CC GatorTrax.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Something about like this, that the wife and I can sail away in, from all stress and craziness in life and retire.  That's the current plan anyway.

http://features.boats.com/boat-content/files/2016/04/lagoon-sailing-helm.jpg
View Quote
That’s almost creepy. Same plan here, although we would keep a home base. Was about to post this, even had the link in the clipboard already:

Edit: Was going to ask the poster of the Helia 44 why he picked that over the Lagoon...
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The thing about boats is that they're all compromises - which is a fancy way of saying there are thousands of boats for thousands of owners, all with different needs and styles.  There are those that focus on max speed, sailboaters, those with inland water only boats, trawlers, houseboats and beyond.  They're all awesome at what they do best - and I hope you enjoy every day you get on the water!  There is no perfect boat, but we all find the one that works for us (for now).

The unique thing about mariners is the brotherhood we all join when we cast off from the dock.  I'd drop everything to help any of you, and consider fellow mariners my brothers above all others.  Do your thing, chase your dream, find the boat that works for you, and get out and enjoy it.  When you're out - be respectful of other mariners, learn and follow the COLREGS, and help others in need.  The best people I've ever met are those off the beaten path on the water.  I look forward to seeing you all there!  I know that's not particularly helpful on what is your "dream boat," but the answer is - whatever boat I'm on.   It's the journey, not the destination....

- Capt Fox  (M/Y "Blue By You" and M/Y "Skyline")
View Quote
Well said
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:01:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm a big Skyline enthusiast after following Blackfox building his...but alas...I'll never afford one.
I've always wanted a Nordhavn, but never got serious about rounding one up.
http://www.nordhavn.com/models/52/images/open.jpg
View Quote
@pcsutton
I don't know dick about boats besides the fact that I like to dive off them.
But I am digging those Nordhavn!!

I imagine any boat that size costs a shitload to run, but if it's a fantasy...
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:10:19 PM EDT
[#41]
It has teak decks.  Nice.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:37:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
@pcsutton

View Quote
It's sort of like...if you have to worry about how much it costs to run...you can't afford it anyway.

The Nordhavns are a bit more utilitarian than most yachts.  Like the lines too.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Carver Voyager 570 or 530 here on KY Lake.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 5:09:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It's sort of like...if you have to worry about how much it costs to run...you can't afford it anyway.
View Quote
Looks like it would make a sweet dive boat
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 8:12:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@pcsutton

Agreed with all. I wish I could love a Nordhavn. I’ve been on several including the 120’ Aurora. They’re basically workboats that have yacht-like interiors in a very ‘classic’ style. They’re kind of like the Ford F150’s of yachts. They’re better suited for working in the field than taking the family on vacation.  They are rugged and more resilient than any other yacht I’ve seen. With that said, they’re still a yacht. Their list of things that are broken is still at least one page long at any given time, as is the maintenance list. I’m currently enjoying my last few days with a one page “to do” list on my boat, but that’s only because I haven’t found everything wrong yet

As far as operating costs, the general rule is that you spend 10% of the value of the boat each year in operating costs. You can get away with 5% for a new boat, but that cost obviously rises over time.  For those that don’t know, a 50’ boat generally costs between $1M and $2M, while a 60’ costs between $2M and $4M.  A 70’ costs between $4M and $6M.  An 80’ costs between $6M and $8M.  A 90’ runs between $8M and $10M, and anything over 100’ is definitely in the 8 figures.  We’re allocating $400K/year for my new 90’, although we hope to come in well under that by doing a lot of the maintenance ourselves, moving at displacement speeds (reduces fuel burn) and by using our own dock a good bit.  The general rule for depreciation is that they lose 15% year 1, and 10% years 2, 3, 4 and 5.  What that means is that a boat loses 50% of its value in the first 5 years.  After that they generally depreciate 5% a year, but their operating costs will rise to 10% about that time as most of the major maintenance items are starting to land by year 5.  Nordhavns, by the way, will be at (or above) the top end of the purchase price numbers above, but will hopefully be at the bottom of the maintenance and depreciation range.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 8:22:25 AM EDT
[#46]
I feel like everyone expected to see this, so here’s my dream boat:

My wife and I on the bow last week in Bimini:

The salon and galley on the main deck:

The main deck master:

The “Skylounge” on the upper deck:

The “beach club” on the stern:

And the engine room:

We hope to cast off in the next 3-4 weeks for our east coast tour, and will be posting a thread about that shortly!
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 8:41:38 AM EDT
[#47]
I've always wanted a 24 foot pontoon boat, just so the family and I can cruise the rivers and lakes.

I had a coworker who was given a pontoon boat.  It needed new flooring and had some issues with the controls.

He fixed it up and eventually sold it, making a good bit of money in the process.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/4267/Exterior_2-445242.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/4267/Exterior_3-445241.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/4267/Skyline_anchor_2-541155.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/4267/Salon_1-445268.jpg

The main deck master:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/4267/Master_1-445264.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/4267/Skylounge_1-445256.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/4267/Beach_Club_4-445260.jpg

And the engine room:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/4267/engine_room-437012.jpg

We hope to cast off in the next 3-4 weeks for our east coast tour, and will be posting a thread about that shortly!
View Quote
That thing is beautiful.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The main deck master:

And the engine room:

View Quote
The stuff of dreams for sure. Nice nice toy!

What speed will she make?
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I feel like everyone expected to see this, so here's my dream boat:

The main deck master:

The "Skylounge" on the upper deck:

The "beach club" on the stern:

And the engine room:

View Quote
The whole story of your boat was awesome to follow.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top