Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:06:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the teacher cant control the students, they should be fired also. What kind of adult gets bested by a six year old...? As for the cop... Maybe time for a desk job.
View Quote
Nope. The parents failed, the school failed, and the cop got the dirty stick. He did what he was supposed to do. You certainly don't want him to spank the kid in this day's litigation environment. The school administrator should have at the least removed the kid from the classroom, call the parent to immediately come in an administer the corporal punishment. If they refuse, have the parent find another school for their precious spawn. The problem with that is the school has had their hands tied for way too long and the kids know it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:08:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Next time you LE have to go to an elementary school... Toss the principal the keys to your cruiser & tell them to go do your job while you do theirs. Shitty situation to be in
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:13:49 AM EDT
[#4]
My wife works at a local elementary school. The stories she brings home, I wouldn't blame a cop for putting handcuffs on some of those little bastards
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:15:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Cop was retired and worked as a reserve working the school as an off duty detail due to then Gov. Rick Scott's gun control bill. Part of it requires a cop on every campus. Most schools hire cops as an off duty detail to comply with the law.
View Quote
In this day and age, I got no problem with a cop in the school. However, he is the low guy on the totem pole in that situation. Clearly the whole system is out of wack but it sure isn't the fault of the LE. Everyone just passed the cheese to LE. Don't like it then it's time for parents to start taking personal responsibility for the mess they created.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:17:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Should've called CPS, let the parents try and get her back.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:19:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Failed, not filed.
View Quote
I saw it, my typo.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:21:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
teachers do not deserve to be hit

However, being hit by a 6 year old is something that's going to happen.  Being arrested is NOT an appropriate response when a 6 year old hits a teacher.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Based on just the limited info I have, I say good arrest. That might change if the teacher was/is a complete asshole & so forth.

Believe it or not, not all 6 year old kids are well behaved and normal. This cop may well have saved that kid's life down the road. We don' know yet.

Nor do teachers deserve to be hit.

However, being hit by a 6 year old is something that's going to happen.  Being arrested is NOT an appropriate response when a 6 year old hits a teacher.
It's better than grabbing the kid's hands to stop them, putting t hem in the corner and getting fired or arrested yourself when Little Jimmy says you squeezed his arm too hard and hurt him.

ETA-my nephew is one of those who is bound to be arrested at a young age. No discipline whatsoever the first couple years of his life when he lived with his mom. Now that my brother has custody when the kid doesn't get his way the threats and hits start. My daughter is terrified of him because he tells other kids he's going to cut them into little pieces, cook them in the microwave and eat them. God help you if you eat one of his snack cakes too.

I told my mom that even 15 years ago, my grandpa would have had his attitude sorted out within 6 weeks.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#9]
What kind?

The best of the the best of the best, SIR!
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#10]
If you want to act like an adult you get to face the adult consequences.

Good arrest, have them spend some time in jail with the rest of the convicts, like that scared straight show.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:33:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:39:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Jesus christ, bunch of snowflakes in here...

Officer didn’t so much as raise his voice, just carted the little hellion to the station for her parents to pick up.

Wasn’t his problem to begin with, the lazy ass teachers dumped it on him. But even so, that’s our tax dollars and the parents’ piss poor parenting at work.

“Wah, wah, my little angel didn’t deserve this...”
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:39:27 AM EDT
[#13]
When a minor is awarded a judgment, does it go in their name so it will be there when they are an adult...? Or do the parents get control to squander it?
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:40:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lol he tried to arrest another 6 year old the same day.
View Quote
Mighty fine police work!

That kid is definitely going to grow up with a positive view of LEOs
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How do you handle aggressive biting, kicking, and hitting from a 6 year old as a teacher? Remember you cannot go hands on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you handle aggressive biting, kicking, and hitting from a 6 year old as a teacher? Remember you cannot go hands on.
Call the cops for them to apply some hickory shampoo, obviously.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you want the state to be the parent don't complain when the parenting is not to your liking.
View Quote
This.  If you don't want a typical police officer response, don't call a police officer.  What do you expect him to do?  Paddle him?  Ground him?  Take away his Xbox?  What do you expect a police officer to do when you call a police officer because someone physically assaulted someone else?

ETA "Charter school".  Is that a school for gifted youngsters?  Run of the mill private school?  Or a school for future "teens"?

ETA2 I can't believe he got fired for that...
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:49:56 AM EDT
[#17]
"What are those for?" Kaia asks about the zip ties in the video.
"They're for you," Officer Dennis Turner says........

Not gonna lie, I chuckled at that part. Having seen my share of unruly little monsters that result from hands off parenting techniques I have not a single fuck to give as my field is barren.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Where was that bravery during the Parkland shooting?
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:51:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ask/tell/snack time/make

I don't make the rules.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#20]
should have found the parents and tased them.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:53:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Parents “can’t” and won’t discipline their children anymore and it shows.

I’m a millennial, but my father would have beat my ass if I was a shithead/ attacked a teacher. Shit, some of my teachers would have as well.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Where was that bravery during the Parkland shooting?
View Quote
The Parkland shooting is what happens when there os no discipline in childhood.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:55:24 AM EDT
[#23]
If it scares the kid straight that would be good.

Of course if you could turn the kid back over to his parents his dad will no doubt give him the spanking that kid has earned...imo
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#24]
The nuns/teachers in my grammar school and the brothers/teachers in HS dealt with problems with discipline and it worked.  They were not afraid to go hands on when need be.

ETA: There's one little Johnny at my wife's school who is a frequent flier in the principal's office.  He will destroy whatever office they put him in while waiting for the parent.

Then he starts dialing 911.  Mom or grandpa picks him up, back in school the next day, cycle repeats.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:57:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Title should read

6 year old teen.

Gets arrested
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:57:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

First people wanted the state to provide an education. Then they wanted the state to also provide disciplinary action, free breakfast and lunch, and organized sports. Then they took away the ability for teachers and administrators to discipline children. The end result is that it is now a LE matter when a child misbehaves. It's what they wanted, it's what they get.
View Quote
When I was in grade school the teachers all had a paddle hanging up next to the chalk board. Had I or any classmates struck a teacher we knew we'd end up out in the hallway listening to that paddle whistle through the air before the loud "crack" it made when it met ass. As a result this sort of thing never happened in class during my time there.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
School calls cop because six year old is combative. Cop can only do A. Nothing or B. Arrest Kid. School now sounds like your typical DV Spouse after calling the cops and bitching that her man is being cuffed and stuffed into the back of a marked unit. They wanted the cop to scare the kid, not actually take action.
View Quote
Yup.  The police officer is the real victim here.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:58:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:59:24 AM EDT
[#29]
ARFCOM continues its legendary status of being a place where people comment and debate without reading the original article or watching the attached video.

This child was so out of control and violent that she was calmly sitting in a chair in the principal's office when the officer arrived. From the moment the officer arrives, the child is repeatedly apologizing, begging, and showing remorse.

But, yeah, this situation is 100% analogous to an eight year old with a gun committing armed robbery; or a violent homicide by a ten year old.

Maybe, just maybe, this officer has a problem in how he interacts with juveniles and the decisions he makes in regards to their health and well-being. He repeatedly bragged on video about all the young juveniles he's arrested, and tried to arrest a different six year old that same day. He also arrested a seven year old for shoplifting when the child didn't cry like his friends did when the police arrived (the others were not arrested; just the child who didn't cry).

Over the course of Turner’s 23-year tenure at OPD prior to retiring last year, he was disciplined seven times for violations of department policy that ranged from unsafe driving to a child-abuse arrest in which he was accused of injuring his 7-year-old son, record released Tuesday showed. He was also accused of sending threatening text messages to his ex-wife in 2009 and racial profiling, records show.
View Quote
https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida/2020/02/25/body-camera-video-shows-6-year-old-orlando-girl-arrested-at-school/

Gee, why might this officer be SPECIFICALLY choosing to arrest children aged 6-8? It's almost as if he has a point to prove.

An Orlando police officer was charged Thursday with aggravated child abuse after officials found welts and bruises on his 7-year-old son's arms and chest, Apopka police said.

In an interview Thursday night, Turner said he was surprised at being arrested and denied severely beating the child.

"Don't let this stop you from disciplining your children," said Turner.

Turner received oral reprimands after two internal affairs investigations by Orlando police. In 1996, he was cited for "substandard performance" after he lost the wallet of a suspect he arrested.

Investigators from the Orange County Sheriff's Office and the state Department of Children & Families found the injuries during a visit to the boy's school, Lovell Elementary School, near Apopka.
View Quote
Huh. Imagine that. Can't wait for the ARFCOM defense of "his ex probably made up a fake story, etc" considering the injuries were noticed at school, and the case was investigated by the Orange County Sheriff's Department, Apopka Police, and DCF before an arrest was made. When two of your neighboring departments believe you committed felony child abuse, perhaps there's something to it?

It absolutely can't be that this guy has a chip on his shoulder and a point to prove. He's really just out there trying to protect us all from the evil six year olds. At least he's not beating the shit out of them anymore. That's a pretty major improvement. I think a medal, a ceremony, and a hefty pay raise are in order.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My wife works at a local elementary school. The stories she brings home, I wouldn't blame a cop for putting handcuffs on some of those little bastards
View Quote
I work at an elementary school and have seen the local PD take a kindergartner to the mental hospital for evaluation. No cuffs as the school I work at was where a child of 6 was placed in cuffs and the officer was fired.
Never underestimate mental illness.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Lol he tried to arrest another 6 year old the same day.
View Quote
Article said the department had a policy about arresting children under 12 without contacting a supervisor first. I guess he knew he fucked up and cop math told him that hauling in two six year olds adds up to 12 and gets him over the limit.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:01:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That's a school administration issue and not a police issue. The police issue is that the reservist did not contact the watch commander prior to the arrest, but since he failed to do so we will never know if it would have been approved or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wtf? A six year old, and the parents were never called.
That's a school administration issue and not a police issue. The police issue is that the reservist did not contact the watch commander prior to the arrest, but since he failed to do so we will never know if it would have been approved or not.
It's a school administration issue that the parents were not called after their six year old was arrested?

Nothing is beyond defense.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:04:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Officer didn’t so much as raise his voice, just carted the little hellion to the station for her parents to pick up.

Wasn’t his problem to begin with, the lazy ass teachers dumped it on him. But even so, that’s our tax dollars and the parents’ piss poor parenting at work.

“Wah, wah, my little angel didn’t deserve this...”
View Quote
What age do we draw the line?    14 month old in diapers at daycare ok to cuff and stuff?

An adult with two brain cells would have laughed and said “you want me to do what?”

I guess the self control to hold back on the “stop resisting” and taser action was good.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If the officer didn't take action. He'd be shitcanned too. He was in a no win situation. You should stick to flying. I'll stick to policing. I've actually been a SRO. I don't tell you how to work the stick of your bird.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
School calls cop because six year old is combative. Cop can only do A. Nothing or B. Arrest Kid. School now sounds like your typical DV Spouse after calling the cops and bitching that her man is being cuffed and stuffed into the back of a marked unit. They wanted the cop to scare the kid, not actually take action.
If the officer didn't take action. He'd be shitcanned too. He was in a no win situation. You should stick to flying. I'll stick to policing. I've actually been a SRO. I don't tell you how to work the stick of your bird.
Miami - you would actually arrest a 6 year old kid?

What about a 3 year old?

What is your line where you would refuse to arrest?   6 months?   Is there a line?

Baby threw a toy at me = assault = arrest?

Serious questions.  Not being a dick.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
@GotGuns

In Florida, Charter Schools are privately run schools that are publicly funded. Literally they are "Tax Payer Funded For Profit Schools" just like the for profit prisons. They have to abide by School Board Policy and Procedures.
View Quote
Gotcha.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Throw in poor parenting, an IEP (individual education plan )-says can't be kicked out for behavior, coaching by combative parents looking for a payday from the school district, and you've got a serious party.

I'm sure that kind of thing never happens, and SROs, teachers, and admins, aren't left sitting there going what now?
View Quote
Plenty of case law that says an IEP or a "disability" is not a magical license to be disruptive or violent, nor do such things shield violent or disruptive students from discipline or legal consequences. At the school admin level they might see it that way in practice because they are overwhelmingly liberal blivets and want to save everyone, including utterly unsalvageable trainwrecks, by "mainstreaming them." Of course, this often leaves a trail of psychological and physical destruction behind with all the other kids around, and a poor learning environment as Special Timmy draws all the attention from the already overworked teacher. Schools also do not want to place problem kids in special schools, or assign aides to them, because that shit costs a lot of money - so if they can get away with dumping the kid in a regular class, they'll do it and ride that bronco until something awful happens or some parent takes legal action.

There are options in between "nothing" and "arrest" for the cop. Take a report and let parents go to juvenile court intake or CPS with it. Protective orders would be another one - at least in my state, the cop can even seek one on behalf of a victim. It forces the school to put the problem kid into a special program or special school for delinquents because he literally isn't allowed in the school anymore, when they otherwise wouldn't do anything because "inclusion" and "mainstreaming."

Everything I said above is based on first hand experience, by the way.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
I just have to wonder then....

If the school didn't want the cops to arrest the kid, why did the school call the cops?
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:12:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're right.  The officer had to go home at the end of the day and this was literally the only thing he could do.  He should be getting an award rather than being shit on for holding the thin blue line in the kindergarten.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Common sense ended long ago with Mandatory Minimums and Zero Tolerance Policies pushed by Susie Soccer Mom and Johnny No Balls Blue Jeans. The entirety of the school system is fucked up in how they handle disciplinary issues.

1. Teachers cannot go hands on.
2. Schools cannot punish unruly kids.
3. They divert everything to LE.
4. LE is instructed to no have discretion when it comes to enforcement.
5. Parents don't discipline their kids.
6. Since kids are disciplined at home, they are unruly at school.
7. It becomes a perfect storm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Officer didn't so much as raise his voice, just carted the little hellion to the station for her parents to pick up.

Wasn't his problem to begin with, the lazy ass teachers dumped it on him. But even so, that's our tax dollars and the parents' piss poor parenting at work.

"Wah, wah, my little angel didn't deserve this..."
What age do we draw the line?    14 month old in diapers at daycare ok to cuff and stuff?

An adult with two brain cells would have laughed and said "you want me to do what?"

I guess the self control to hold back on the "stop resisting" and taser action was good.
Common sense ended long ago with Mandatory Minimums and Zero Tolerance Policies pushed by Susie Soccer Mom and Johnny No Balls Blue Jeans. The entirety of the school system is fucked up in how they handle disciplinary issues.

That's a lot of typing to not answer his two simple questions.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I just have to wonder then....

If the school didn't want the cops to arrest the kid, why did the school call the cops?
View Quote
Maybe they thought a cop would scare the kid into behaving. Which is, of course, laughable, like many of the "corrective techniques" that schools foolishly attempt to use on certain kids these days. Some kids are just completely immune to any sort of ordinary punishment and have no sense of guilt or remorse. What schools today view as "normal" corrective action or punishment just doesn't have any effect on them at all.

TL;DR - Some kids just need an ass-whooping, and there are fewer people these days willing to do it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#43]
When I was young if you hit a teacher you went to the principle. Who pulled out a big ass wooden paddle and wore your ass out.

then they called your parents. Who came to school and wore you ass out.

That their solved 99.9% of all problem children and kept the other .01 from even thinking about being bad.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Officer didn't so much as raise his voice, just carted the little hellion to the station for her parents to pick up.

Wasn't his problem to begin with, the lazy ass teachers dumped it on him. But even so, that's our tax dollars and the parents' piss poor parenting at work.

"Wah, wah, my little angel didn't deserve this..."

An adult with two brain cells would have laughed and said "you want me to do what?"

I guess the self control to hold back on the "stop resisting" and taser action was good.

I agree on most of that and it puts the LE in a bad situation

I’m asking at what age would you refuse to cuff and arrest a baby.  Seriously

Day care calls you and says a kid assaulted a teacher.  You arrive and the kid is in a pull up diaper.

You cuff and stuff?   If not - what is your personal limit on this?   If they are able to walk you would be ok arresting?   Is kindergarten the line that makes it ok?

Kids that young are not committing assault.  They are yearning for attention.  Attention they are not getting at home.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:22:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Kids that young are not committing assault.  They are yearning for attention.  Attention they are not getting at home.
View Quote
Prosecutors in my area will not charge (file delinquency petition) for assault, if the subject is under 9 or 10 or so. Their view is that kids that young can't even form the mens rea for crimes like that.

I don't see why LE would HAVE to arrest a child in the age range we're discussing. Take a report, let prosecutor/juvenile court/DSS decide what to do.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:22:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Dealing with children is literally my life. Foster parenting and parenting my adopted kids is what my whole life revolves around. We've had well over a hundred kids come and go from our home. Probably closer to two hundred.

I have never encountered a child whether it be a teenager or a six year old that required me to even contemplate handcuffs/zip ties. Ever. I've been struck, spit on, and shoved. I've never needed to restrain a child with any kind of device to make myself or them 'safer.' I've always been able to deescalate and I've NEVER had training in the art of deescalation ... yet, I can still do it and no one dies.

I wonder why that is.
View Quote
You’ve been struck, spit on, and shoved; maybe you ought to take restraining a child 101.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top