Not going to get stronger carrying some little 9 lbs rifle. ]

eta- did you seriously not follow that?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The 24" barrel would be 17.4 lbs lighter than what I got used to humping.

How is that relevant?

Nah, but the 24" barrel can hit plates off hand at 400 yards.  Every 4" of additional barrel doubles an ARs accuracy, stopping power, and lethality. You should see a 28"
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:45:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Has anyone compared the toeloading characteristics of a A4 versus a M4? I don't believe this important quality has been discussed, yet.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:57:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:18:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Nah, but the 24" barrel can hit plates off hand at 400 yards.  Every 4" of additional barrel doubles an ARs accuracy, stopping power, and lethality. You should see a 28"
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How is that relevant?

Stop... I can only get so erect!  

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:08:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:22:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can't tell if serious.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:26:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Can't tell if serious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't tell if serious.

The 28" are mostly in Canada. They get all the best stuff, you probably haven't seen one
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:27:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The 28" are mostly in Canada. They get all the best stuff, you probably haven't seen one
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't tell if serious.

Ahh yes. Good Comrade Norinco 28" AR.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:30:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't tell if serious.

It's like concentrated birdshot.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:16:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You were issued a 16" rifle in the military?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll take a 20" over a 16" inch  everyday of the year.....   I was issued both while in the  military   and optic or no optics  I was always better with the 20

M27 has a 16" barrel
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:22:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

M27 has a 16" barrel
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll take a 20" over a 16" inch  everyday of the year.....   I was issued both while in the  military   and optic or no optics  I was always better with the 20

M27 has a 16" barrel

IIRC the M27 barrel is 16.5", not 16".
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:25:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

M27 has a 16" barrel

Correct
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:47:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Because people are not ducks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What does a 20 inch do that a 14.5 inch can't?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

knockdown power.

I really dont understand why we dont use a 24 inch shotgun with adjustable choke, for long and short ranges.

Because people are not ducks

You clearly have never seen what #4 buckshot can do to a human body.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:50:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

M27 has a 16" barrel

something inside of me died with this post.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:03:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

M27 has a 16" barrel

It is always called a 16" barrel in training classes, but he is correct it is technically a 16.5 barrel
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:05:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It is always called a 16" barrel in training classes, but he is correct it is technically a 16.5 barrel
View Quote

And Puller wept....
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:08:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And Puller wept....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And Puller wept....

His tear were kind of like Chuck Norris in they cure cancer, but instead they cause cancer.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:09:46 AM EDT
[#18]

They like their barrel like their dick, short.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:11:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

His tear were kind of like Chuck Norris in they cure cancer, but instead they cause cancer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And Puller wept....

thats kinda hot.

So Chesty Puller's tears rained down upon Liberia to smite his enemies from the grave?

Fuckin' A.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:11:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They like their barrel like their dick, short.

View Quote

If you can't get it done with 14.5 inches, the problem isn't the length.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:49:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
And yet no one has said it?

GET BOTH
View Quote

I have both.  It was the only way I could solve the dilemma.  .
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:09:46 AM EDT
[#22]
When did every Luddite on the forum begin considering every accepted progression something inspired by "cool kids?"
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:19:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
When did every Luddite on the forum begin considering every accepted progression something inspired by "cool kids?"
View Quote

Duh...you can't show off how you are a stone cold Fudd without dropping in catch phrases like cool kids, tacticool, tapco-fucked or griping about "all that garbage you hang off your ARs". Bonus points for references to poor marksmanship or inability to carry a heavier rifle.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:22:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:25:08 AM EDT
[#25]

20 inch is the shit I have only one carbine !
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:28:49 AM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Duh...you can't show off how you are a stone cold Fudd without dropping in catch phrases like cool kids, tacticool, tapco-fucked or griping about "all that garbage you hang off your ARs". Bonus points for references to poor marksmanship or inability to carry a heavier rifle.

http://i58.tinypic.com/33abb40.jpg

I wonder what Afghanman thinks about all these 10lbs carbines I've been hearing about?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:29:47 AM EDT
[#27]
http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=1093

% difference between 16" and 20" illustrated in their study
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:31:55 AM EDT
[#28]
shouldn't engagement distances dictate the barrel length used?  a 14.5" M4 and a 20 M16A4 are pretty much equally accurate over 300m but its the effectiveness of the 5.56mm round thats reduced with the lower velocities.  

i read AARs of operations in Iraq where it was stated that most engagements were under 100m, with many at 25m.  at these ranges the M4 works fine.  however with operations in Afghanistan, engagements moved to much greater distances due to the terrain.  it seems ass-backward to move to a shorter barrel rifle as engagements distances increase, when your primary round is so dependent on velocity for its effectiveness.  this time of moving to a shorter barrel + longer ranges also seems to be when more complaints about the 5.56mm 'stopping power' at long range started coming out
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:33:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
shouldn't engagement distances dictate the barrel length used?  a 14.5" M4 and a 20 M16A4 are pretty much equally accurate over 300m but its the effectiveness of the 5.56mm round thats reduced with the lower velocities.  

i read AARs of operations in Iraq where it was stated that most engagements were under 100m, with many at 25m.  at these ranges the M4 works fine.  however with operations in Afghanistan, engagements moved to much greater distances due to the terrain.  it seems ass-backward to move to a shorter barrel rifle as engagements distances increase, when your primary round is so dependent on velocity for its effectiveness.  this time of moving to a shorter barrel + longer ranges also seems to be when more complaints about the 5.56mm 'stopping power' at long range started coming out
View Quote

Please explain to me the difference in terminal effects between a 14.5" M855 at 600M and 20" M855 at 600M.

Bonus points for personal experience.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:33:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:39:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Please explain to me the difference in terminal effects between a 14.5" M855 at 600M and 20" M855 at 600M.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Longer barrel = more thrusts per squeeze

It's science and shit.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:49:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It's science and shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's science and shit.

I'm an American.  I hate science.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:51:46 AM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i58.tinypic.com/33abb40.jpg

lol wat
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's science and shit.

Even worse, you're one of those right-wing Americans.

I bet you burn books and stuff too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:05:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Velocity by itself doesn't mean much.

You either make enough to frag or you don't.

A longer barrel increases the range at which 5.56mm can be expected to frag reliably.

At 100m, a 14.5" bbl makes plenty of velocity for explosive fragmentation.

At 300m, I would want something longer.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:19:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Who the fuck are you shooting with? 16" barreled AR I can hit easily at 200 yards open sights. So can anyone one else I know who owns an AR. You must shoot with children or some really shitty shooters or just trying to convince yourself you made the right choice with your 20" AR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't have much use for the A2/heavy barrel 20", would be great for a SPR build but if its 20 and not a precision rifle I will choose a M16A1 every day of the week, light or lighter than the m4 and feels like a rifle when aiming.

The real advantage of a 20" over a carbine is the Iron sights,  have abosulutly no problem hotting steal with irons out to 200 with 20" rifles, I have seen people with carbines have trouble hitting 12" plates at 100 resting.

Who the fuck are you shooting with? 16" barreled AR I can hit easily at 200 yards open sights. So can anyone one else I know who owns an AR. You must shoot with children or some really shitty shooters or just trying to convince yourself you made the right choice with your 20" AR.

Perhaps the point he was trying to make is that when using open sights, the 20" AR will have the advantage, because the front sight is further out there, closer to the target.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

A longer barrel increases the range at which 5.56mm can be expected to frag reliably.

View Quote

At what range does one become unshot if I use a 14.5?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#38]
My 20" heavy barrel is a varmint killer, don't like to carry it very far though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:55:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Too long, and most are too slow a twist rate.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Higher velocity gives the bullet more RPMs for better stabilization, so a 20" 1:9 might stabilize a heavier bullet whereas a 14.5" 1:9 might not.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#42]
I enjoy my 20's at the range in the event of any actual "need" of a firearm I will grab something shorter.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:53:43 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote

I heard you humped a lot of 200-pounders.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:57:51 AM EDT
[#44]
I like my barrels as short as possible for reliable operation. That way, at longer ranges, I can use it as an indirect fire weapon to deny the enemy defilade.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:15:23 AM EDT
[#45]
I like my 10.5". I like my 12.5" more.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#46]
I think Suppressors, and their increasing popularity and availability are part of it. Put a can on a 20" rifle, now you got a 26" rifle with an extra pound or so out on the end. Drop your barrel down and you can get a suppressed 14.5" carbine with about the same overall length, but the benefit of having a suppressor. If your 14.5" rifle isn't "doing the job", then maybe you just need a different tool. Everyone wants to think there's 1 rifle to do it all, but you run into "jack of all trades, master of nothing". And that's where other calibers come in as well, you can get shorter suppressed packages with a better round, but then you run into supply chain issues...
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

People who use one barrel train for it, and are more likely to put round on target, the people who use the other barrel don't and have to come out with white papers talking about how "The Infantry half K" needs to be taken back.

The shooter is part of the system right? ;)

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Relying on fragmentation rather than shot placement is really unsmart.

A 45 grain hollow point fragments awesome, you should use that out of a 24" barrel for MAXIMUM FRAGMENTATION!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:53:19 PM EDT
[#49]
The reason we have 5.56 NATO and not .222 Remington is because of an arbitrary 500m steel helmet perforation requirement set by the 30 cal nazi's at Army Ordnance.  They were trying to kill the SCHV rifle concept by moving the goal posts, but failed to do so.

Even 11.5" carbines exceed the capability of most soldiers at 300m.  Since the "cool kids" have been stacking bodies with 5.56 Colt Commando's since the 1960's, they never got the memo that they needed 20" guns.

It isn't about looks, but performance.  20" is not needed to get it done.  Even the 18" SPR's have been set aside in favor of Block II SOPMOD with Mk.262 or other loads.  

If a carbine has already been proving itself to be more than adequate for its intended use, why would I ever want a 20" gun?  Keep in mind that the minority in Army Ordnance who were proponents of the SCHV wanted 3400fps mv.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 12:55:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Not as tacticool
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top