User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Velocity by itself doesn't mean much.

Ok?

You either make enough to frag or you don't.

Which is velocity dependent.

A longer barrel increases the range at which 5.56mm can be expected to frag reliably.

Because a longer barrel, increases velocity.

At 100m, a 14.5" bbl makes plenty of velocity for explosive fragmentation.

Yet still might not, because it's not a guaranteed mechanism.

At 300m, I would want something longer.

Because you want more velocity?

View Quote
Seems like it does mean a lot!

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:04:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd guess it has a lot to do with patrols being vehicle based now vs foot based when the gun was originally designed.

I am also not military so I don't know if the above statement is true.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

At what range does one become unshot if I use a 14.5?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A longer barrel increases the range at which 5.56mm can be expected to frag reliably.

Hey Tim. What did your response have to do with my post?

I never said you couldn't make hits at range with a 14.5"bbl.

Explosive frag makes the hits you make moar gooder.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:15:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Simple balance between velocity/effectiveness and compactness for all around utility of the rifle for all what people think they may use it for. A shorter rifle has its advantages, and 16" midlength seems to be a good mix between reliability/velocity/compactness.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok?

That is a lot of red text just to agree with me on all counts.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok?

That velocity means everything?  You're right, it is.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Because you don't see the Tier-1 folks walking around with Plain Jane A2s. I want to build a Mk12 Mod 1 though.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not as tacticool
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Because huge, long rifles suck. Most killing happens with crew serves in the military. Most civilians don't need a rifle that makes shots at a few hundred yards. Shorter guns are cooler. Smaller guns suit people's needs better, such as home defense or truck rifles, Suppressors are more popular that ever.  Not to mention, modern ammo is a lot better, and often designed to work out of carbines, so the velocity loss isn't as big of a deal as it used to be.

There are lots of reasons why people choose shorter barrels.
View Quote

Here is one of my "huge long rifles" that you think sucks and I don't need:

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because huge, long rifles suck. Most killing happens with crew serves in the military. Most civilians don't need a rifle that makes shots at a few hundred yards. Shorter guns are cooler. Smaller guns suit people's needs better, such as home defense or truck rifles, Suppressors are more popular that ever.  Not to mention, modern ammo is a lot better, and often designed to work out of carbines, so the velocity loss isn't as big of a deal as it used to be.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I have always preferred the 20 inch barrel.  That is what I was issued way back in the day.  However, I like to think I am willing enough to take in new information, and all the new information indicates that the 16 inch barrels are more useful, especially in close quarters.  So, I'll take advice from those actually using the shorter barrels, and keep my 20 inch rifle for matches, or other situations that don't include rather "severe social encounters".
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#12]
People on both sides of the argument are way too concerned about what other people think.
Just use what you like and don't worry about anyone else. We all have different needs, preferences and what not.
I prefer a 20" rifle. I like the way it looks, I like the way it feels. I like the long handguard and fixed stock. I feel cramped up on a carbine. I'm not using it for home defense, so I'll take the velocity, softer recoil, greater sight radius when I shoot irons, etc.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:49:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
People on both sides of the argument are way too concerned about what other people think.
Just use what you like and don't worry about anyone else. We all have different needs, preferences and what not.
I prefer a 20" rifle. I like the way it looks, I like the way it feels. I like the long handguard and fixed stock. I feel cramped up on a carbine. I'm not using it for home defense, so I'll take the velocity, softer recoil, greater sight radius when I shoot irons, etc.
View Quote

Would it be fair to say you prefer a 20" AR and use a shotgun for home defense?

I'm doing a scientific study and your honest reply would be most appreciated. I have a theory and your reply could help disprove or buttress it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:54:29 PM EDT
[#14]
all the cool kids use m240s. We should just issue every soldier a m240 and we will FINALLY be able to kill the enemy.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 2:59:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reedin's fer faggits. Butthurt's just fer you.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#16]
The 556 cartridge ballistics.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm doing a scientific study and your honest reply would be most appreciated. I have a theory and your reply could help disprove or buttress it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use a handgun with a WML for HD. I like the idea of an AR for HD use, but it's not feasible for us here in CA.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#18]
If only someone could invent other calibers of ammunition.  Then we could use them for shooting things larger than prairie dogs at distance.  Maybe someday
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

all the cool kids use m240s. We should just issue every soldier a m240 and we will FINALLY be able to kill the enemy.
View Quote

Fuckin' A right!  

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I use a handgun with a WML for HD. I like the idea of an AR for HD use, but it's not feasible for us here in CA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I might have to retool my theory then. I have a notion that those who insist the only real rifle is a 20" with irons and no accessories would also be part of the shotgun mafia for home defense.

I thought your post might give me an insight but I was off the mark in my initial assumptions. Thanks for the reply!

Science just happened bitches.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The 16 inch is a much more practical, handy Rifle for a very minor cost in velocity.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:39:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Sweet Georgia Brown...I love this place.

Guy asks when a trend changed, and it turns into a purse swinging match...complete with more,thrusts per squeeze, animations by RustedAce, beans and no beans, and I think we even have a shoulder thing that goes up.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:42:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Can you butt stroke somebody effectively with a collapsible stock without breaking the receiver extension?

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:43:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Can you butt stroke somebody effectively with a collapsible stock without breaking the receiver extension?

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I know all the cool kids and HSLD types hate 3 Gun, but it's become a big, wealthy testing ground for equipment, especially for rifles with which to hit relatively small targets out to moderate ranges as quickly as possible.

And the 20" gun is all but gone outside of the iron-sight guns.  (Which means it's pretty much gone.)  I'm swapping my 20" HBAR out for a 16" lightweight contour barrel (as soon as it arrives)  and shaving about 2 pounds off of the gun.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:45:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Muzzle strikes are way better.  Just as effective, and you keep the gun pointed toward the bad guy.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why buttstroke when you can bayonet or even halberd these days?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:52:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why decide on a weapons system based on one incredibly specific scenario like "the need to butt stroke someone" ?

It's derptastic.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Although I have short barreled ARs (which are handy), I have found that 20" barrels are a good compromise between portability and velocity for my uses in 308 and 556 ARs.

View Quote

20" is a compromise in 5.56 for velocity?

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:01:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Why decide on a weapons system based on one incredibly specific scenario like "the need to butt stroke someone" ?

It's derptastic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's derptastic.

Speaking of the weapons system, I'm wondering if there would be a demand for large lead filled rail mounted truck nuts.  Mounted towards the end of the barrel it would be an effective melee weapon, kind of like a flail, and serve a real need
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:02:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I might have to retool my theory then. I have a notion that those who insist the only real rifle is a 20" with irons and no accessories would also be part of the shotgun mafia for home defense.

I thought your post might give me an insight but I was off the mark in my initial assumptions. Thanks for the reply!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never said anything about only a 20" being a "real rifle". I also said nothing about irons or accessories. I prefer a pistol for HD to keep a hand free, making it more likely to actually be picked up and used to investigate bumps in the night than a shotgun or rifle that requires two hands, and is more likely to be left. I have reasons for what I do, but don't tell anyone their own reasons are wrong.
My 20" is an A4 clone. Acog, rails, BUIS, the works.
If you're trying to do "science" you shouldn't have so many assumptions.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I never said anything about only a 20" being a "real rifle". I also said nothing about irons or accessories. I prefer a pistol for HD to keep a hand free, making it more likely to actually be picked up and used to investigate bumps in the night than a shotgun or rifle that requires two hands, and is more likely to be left. I have reasons for what I do, but don't tell anyone their own reasons are wrong.
View Quote

Cool your jets Han Solo, I'm messing with you.

And if you re-read my post I said I have a theory about those who insist 20" ARs are the only real ARs, not that you claimed such.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Its the "Cool Aid" factor, I'd guess.  My goto is an A2 20in.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes.  Are you not aware that longer barrel lengths generally equal more velocity?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Although I have short barreled ARs (which are handy), I have found that 20" barrels are a good compromise between portability and velocity for my uses in 308 and 556 ARs.

20" is a compromise in 5.56 for velocity?

Yes.  Are you not aware that longer barrel lengths generally equal more velocity?

Are you not aware of the minimal gains in velocity beyond 16"?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Cool your jets Han Solo, I'm messing with you.

And if you re-read my post I said I have a theory about those who insist 20" ARs are the only real ARs, not that you claimed such.

View Quote

Your theory makes sense I guess. They're both a more "traditional" setup/platform than using a newer style carbine with newer optics and accessory options, so it makes sense that the same type of people would prefer both.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:12:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:15:51 PM EDT
[#39]
a1 config for me.  Lighter and longer is moar better.  

You young whippersnappers with your 16 inch pimped up collapsible-stocks and vfg's crack me up.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Get stronger.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think it is because back in the day after the A2 was phased in most civlian 20" barrels were HBAR. In case you have never humped a 20" HBAR, it fucking sucks balls. the A1 barrel is great tho. but anyway for a 30 year period most 20" barrels were HBAR and that is why they fell out of favor.
Get stronger.

This.  I use my 20" HBAR for shooting coyotes.  If a friend bitches about the weight, I tell him to quit being a pussy.  I want a dust cover for it that says "NO PUSSIES".
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
a1 config for me.  Lighter and longer is moar better.  

You young whippersnappers with your 16 inch pimped up collapsible-stocks and vfg's crack me up.  
View Quote

Yeah, those guys over in Iraq and Afghanistan racking up more kills than the plague are really just gear queers aren't they?

I'm sure the guys over there doing the real killing are using M16As, M14s, and maybe a few Garands.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#42]
I wasn't a fan of the musket when I first got in, and I was glad when I didn't have to carry one anymore.

That being said, the old 1/12 barrels with 55gr ammo...  wow.  Google the images, it's pretty nasty.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#44]
I love this place.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:07:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://images.photo2.walgreens.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu%3C7%3B5%3Enu%3D325%3A%3E2%3B5%3E2%3A9%3EWSNRCG%3D43424%3A9594328nu0mrj

http://images.photo2.walgreens.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu55%3Enu%3D325%3A%3E2%3B5%3E2%3A9%3EWSNRCG%3D43424%3A9595328nu0mrj

http://images.photo2.walgreens.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu%3B682%3Enu%3D325%3A%3E2%3B5%3E2%3A9%3EWSNRCG%3D43424%3A9596328nu0mrj

http://images.photo2.walgreens.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu66%3A4%3Enu%3D4342%3E3%3A6%3E338%3E34333%3A6429237ot1lsi

Sweet!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This.  I use my 20" HBAR for shooting coyotes.  If a friend bitches about the weight, I tell him to quit being a pussy.  I want a dust cover for it that says "NO PUSSIES".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think it is because back in the day after the A2 was phased in most civlian 20" barrels were HBAR. In case you have never humped a 20" HBAR, it fucking sucks balls. the A1 barrel is great tho. but anyway for a 30 year period most 20" barrels were HBAR and that is why they fell out of favor.
Get stronger.

Pfft.

You must have girly arms.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://images.photo2.walgreens.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu%3C7%3B5%3Enu%3D325%3A%3E2%3B5%3E2%3A9%3EWSNRCG%3D43424%3A9594328nu0mrj

http://images.photo2.walgreens.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu55%3Enu%3D325%3A%3E2%3B5%3E2%3A9%3EWSNRCG%3D43424%3A9595328nu0mrj

http://images.photo2.walgreens.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu%3B682%3Enu%3D325%3A%3E2%3B5%3E2%3A9%3EWSNRCG%3D43424%3A9596328nu0mrj

http://images.photo2.walgreens.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu66%3A4%3Enu%3D4342%3E3%3A6%3E338%3E34333%3A6429237ot1lsi

That's a nice rifle. Is that all original with the bakelite furniture?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Thats due more to the red sun in Afghanistan than thing else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
shouldn't engagement distances dictate the barrel length used?  a 14.5" M4 and a 20 M16A4 are pretty much equally accurate over 300m but its the effectiveness of the 5.56mm round thats reduced with the lower velocities.  

i read AARs of operations in Iraq where it was stated that most engagements were under 100m, with many at 25m.  at these ranges the M4 works fine.  however with operations in Afghanistan, engagements moved to much greater distances due to the terrain.  it seems ass-backward to move to a shorter barrel rifle as engagements distances increase, when your primary round is so dependent on velocity for its effectiveness.  this time of moving to a shorter barrel + longer ranges also seems to be when more complaints about the 5.56mm 'stopping power' at long range started coming out

Thats due more to the red sun in Afghanistan than thing else.

That damn red afghan sun.....
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A 20" barrel shooting M193 is out of it's "reliable fragmentation range" at about 225m max anyway.  IIRC M855 is even less.  What is that about 300m again?
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

While I've never payed much attention to anything you say in normal GD threads, anytime you post in a GD thread regarding firearms (especially this and the 9mm FBI report thread), your replies always come out looking like:

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top