Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:35:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Glock 29sf with Underwood 220gr hcfn is my hiking gun.

One reload in my pack.

Lots of water.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:40:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Let’s say you are hiking in an area that has black bear, mountain lions and other shady animals and possibly shady people. What pistol caliber do you go with. 9mm HST?
View Quote
I'm going camping in Ocala Nat'l Forest this weekend; my G20.4 with Underwood Hardcast will be kept close. Florida Black Bears are wee little creatures though.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Or maim.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mountain lions are here mail and kill people pretty often compared to other places, but I hear you. I do need an excuse for at least one pistol that isn’t 9mm. Yes mail
Im sure that panics the people at the post office. Who would they be mailing things to?

I believe the word you’re looking for is “maul”.
Or maim.
Or meal.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:55:37 AM EDT
[#5]
ima say anything bigger then 10mm with a fmj or the likes as im sure hollow points would expand too soon.

now if you are on a hike why not have a shockwave in a scabbard strapped to the back or on the pack? just reach back and have 5 12g slugs or buckshot?

Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:56:42 AM EDT
[#6]
The one you can hit the bear with instead of shooting into the dirt in front of it because you’re frantically punching the trigger and anticipating recoil.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:01:37 AM EDT
[#7]
10mm for sure.  Although I wouldn’t feel under gunned around black bears with a .40 loaded with a proper woods load (200g hard cast, flat nosed, gas checked).   Grizzly country is a whole other consideration.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#8]
9mm, 40, 10mm, 45...all are plenty for black bears.

I carry a G19 with 147gr fmj when I'm in the backcountry in CO and never feel undergunned. Black bears are pussies and I mainly carry for two-legged predators.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Mountain lions are here mail and kill people pretty often compared to other places, but I hear you. I do need an excuse for at least one pistol that isn’t 9mm. Yes mail
View Quote
I live in AZ, hunt and fish and am in the outdoors all the time and rarely here of encounters with Mt Lions. Were the hell in AZ are you ??

Id be more worried about a bear but even that is not likely and not likely to be a violent encounter even if you do run across one.

But really, were are these cats that you speak of that maul and kill people often around here?
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I go with .44 mag in a light enough gun that I'll actually carry it

Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:33:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Black Bear and cats 9mm will work.

Anything else 10mm or 44 would be my choice.

I carry a G19 with Speer gold dots unless I'm headed to a place with more aggressive and bigger bears are then I will carry my S&W M69 .44mag with buffalo bore.

I have been thinking of replacing the Smith with a G20. I like the idea of having 10 more rounds and be able to reload faster.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:38:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I've killed 3 black bears (one with a .270 and two with a .50 muzzleloader) and have broken them down in the field. Their bones are thick and strong and they have heavy muscles. If you're serious about using a pistol to protect yourself against them, I'd suggest using a .44 mag and if not, a .41 or .357 mag in that order. Shoot them with heavy slugs in the brain to drop them because even with a good heart & lung shot, they can run quite a distance.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I go with .44 mag in a light enough gun that I'll actually carry it

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/91056/IMG_0566_JPG-292709.jpg
View Quote
Clinton Lock.... enjoy death.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Any lightweight centerfire pistol would be fine.  Focus less on caliber du jour and more on hydration and cardio.

Also, bear spray is lightweight, effective, and arguable easier to use under stress if you're with others on the trail or a campsite.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I carry a 45 but I should be carrying a 10 mm for Yogi and Snagglepuss.

Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:45:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Black bears are not that big nor tough. They are like hogs in that a lot of people who have never actually killed one, think they are invincible. Hit them in the right place with a decent cartridge and they die.

Most black bears are 250-300 lb range- yes, they get bigger but rarely in most areas of the country. You don't need a cannon to kill them- I've shot several with a .357. A good .357 or .44 Magnum with appropriate bullets is enough for black bears. If you have to have an auto loader the 10 MM or .45 ACP should do the trick.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Whatever your CCW is will work fine for black bears.  Most of them weigh less than the average man.  However, by default my woods carry gun is a G20.  Works for two and four legged critters.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:49:52 AM EDT
[#18]
If you don't have a 10mm or above you will die.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I carry 9mm, hope I never need it though, I prefer to shoot them with a rifle.
View Quote
I am along the front range, I carry a high cap for local hiking.  However back country it is a .41 Remington Mag.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
OP, I carry a Glock 20 loaded with underwood 200 grain hard cast.. thats in grizzly country...9mm, .40 or 45 will work, but I would load it with a high quality, high power, hard cast and shoot at least a few hundred rounds thru it to make sure it is 100% reliable....While I do have some underwood 140 grain extreme penetrators to try on a bear carcass, I haven't been able to yet so I won't trust them yet unless as a last resort...
View Quote
This is what I do.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:11:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Every black bear I've ran across, ran away in fear of me or my dog. I've seen this to be the case for many people, dogs and even house cats.  I'll be concerned about "caliber choice" when they are large enough and brown bear/grizzly enough to be a concern.
View Quote
Yup. That what this student from NJ told me as well. Rutgers student has dinner with bear.....as the main course.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yup. That what this student from NJ told me as well. Rutgers student has dinner with bear.....as the main course.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every black bear I've ran across, ran away in fear of me or my dog. I've seen this to be the case for many people, dogs and even house cats.  I'll be concerned about "caliber choice" when they are large enough and brown bear/grizzly enough to be a concern.
Should have been armed.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:22:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Whatever your CCW is will work fine for black bears.  Most of them weigh less than the average man. However, by default my woods carry gun is a G20.  Works for two and four legged critters.
View Quote
If you go by GD standards, yes.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They also ran from the bear.  That greatly exacerbates an already bad problem.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 12:35:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Black bears are tough, they aren't tough, bears won't bother you, 9mm will get you killed, .44 mag is the minimum.

We have links to 4 confirmed 9mm defensive uses, 3 Grizzlies dead. If I knew a bear was coming, I'd pack something heavier, but in some cases it's sufficient. Then again, if I knew I was getting in a bear fight, I'd no show.

Normal GD thread .
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 12:38:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

^ +1, I came to post this.
View Quote
A boutique caliber that's hard to find?  What does it do better than 44 mag?
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Black bears are not that big nor tough. They are like hogs in that a lot of people who have never actually killed one, think they are invincible. Hit them in the right place with a decent cartridge and they die.

Most black bears are 250-300 lb range- yes, they get bigger but rarely in most areas of the country. You don't need a cannon to kill them- I've shot several with a .357. A good .357 or .44 Magnum with appropriate bullets is enough for black bears. If you have to have an auto loader the 10 MM or .45 ACP should do the trick.
View Quote
They are much bigger in Idaho and even more in Alaska. They are also the ones that will stalk you to eat you
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#28]
People kill black bears with a bow around here. That being said, if a bear attacks you, I'd want something bigger and heavier than 9mm with a bullet designed for penetration AND reliable expansion.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 1:07:46 PM EDT
[#29]
I thought everyone here carried at least one claymore....
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I thought everyone here carried at least one claymore....
View Quote
That's for spiders
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 1:30:12 PM EDT
[#31]
My backpacking area is western NC, TN, and VA.  There are black bear and I have walked up on them.  They run like hell when scared. The last one was in Pisgah back in June 2017.  We were on the ridgeline and that bear took off so fast I though he was gonna roll down the mountain  With that said; I usually have a .38 j frame in my pocket.  Black bears are on the bottom end of my worry list in the woods around there; and I'd opt for bear spray in the areas where they are more used to people like the Smokies. If I ever get out to the western states where there are grizzlies then that's gonna be a different story.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#32]
.22, just go the Joe Biden route, pop a round or two off in the air, and you'll be fine.

Link Posted: 5/11/2018 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They are much bigger in Idaho and even more in Alaska. They are also the ones that will stalk you to eat you
View Quote
Throughout the Midwest and Mountain west, which is where I have done most of my hunting, that is a pretty good range. But yea, it depends on what they are feeding on and regionally. Even on bigger blackies, I'd feel very comfortable with a 4" Model 29 .44 and good loads.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 1:40:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never seen a brown down here in gem county but plenty of black bears.  As such a 357 is plenty, imo.  Brown's around, that's a whole nother issue.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If you go by GD standards, yes.
View Quote
Based off of the threads today bitching about people who exercise...I was.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Black bear? anything? they're big rats. 9mm should work just fine.

9mm
10mm

take your pick. Unless you run into a huge 600 lb bear you should be fine. They're not grizzlies. Loud noise is usually is enough to scare them away.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Southern Black Bear, or Northern Black Bear?
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 1:55:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Here's a picture of Big'um. The Blakeslee, PA bear. He got hit by a car a year or so ago. About 700 to 800 lbs. But bears like this are rare. I took this picture outside my pub.

Link Posted: 5/11/2018 2:01:47 PM EDT
[#39]
44 mag is my preferred minimum .
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 2:02:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Here's a picture of Big'um. The Blakeslee, PA bear. He got hit by a car a year or so ago. About 700 to 800 lbs. But bears like this are rare. I took this picture outside my pub.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/109327/18121513_1741915235835042_2609417846974234792_o-540924.jpg
View Quote
Looks like his favorite meals are from garbage dumps and bait piles.

I carry a S&W 40 cal with 200gr +P hard cast outdoor loads when in the woods. I have no idea if its enough and prefer not to test that theory to be honest.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 2:09:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Black bears are nothing more than oversized stupid ground hogs.  They really lack the courage of their convictions but will talk a mean game.  You have to make one really desperate to make them rush you.  Just about any fighting pistol will work on one.  I'd worry more about spooking a bobcat than a black bear.  We don't have mountain lions around these parts although I did catch a glimpse of a tiger once.  A fucking tiger, man.

Personally, if I had to pick one to carry solely as a backwoods defensive pistol I'd go 10mm.  It's an awesome round.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/109327/18121513_1741915235835042_2609417846974234792_o-540924.jpg
View Quote
God damn!

Take me out of the 9mm column and place me in the .44 mag.

What county was that?
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 2:20:28 PM EDT
[#43]
When I lived in MT I always carried a G29 loaded with solids.  I now live in AK and plan to continue to carry a G29 loaded with solids.  I prefer the G29 over the G20 due to size and weight.  The velocity loss isn't much and I doubt the animal will notice all that much.  Of course I could be wrong but life is all about chances.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I go hunting and hiking for black bear in mountain lion territory (got em on my cameras) and I carry a glock 19. They are all more afraid of you than you are of them. Going to get some buffalo bore for it this year though.
View Quote
I have some 9mm BB hard cast in a dedicated mag for the porch bear.  Fucker is getting annoying.  I tested the round and got full penetration through a 10" poplar tree, so I think it'll do.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 2:24:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Im sure that panics the people at the post office. Who would they be mailing things to?

I believe the word you're looking for is "maul".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mountain lions are here mail and kill people pretty often compared to other places, but I hear you. I do need an excuse for at least one pistol that isn't 9mm. Yes mail

I believe the word you're looking for is "maul".
A decent grammar Nazi wouldn't end a sentence with a preposition.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would like to have seen him in my scope....
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I've never seen a brown down here in gem county but plenty of black bears.  As such a 357 is plenty, imo.  Brown's around, that's a whole nother issue.
View Quote
Yeah, there are no browns in southern ID. I was referring to the black bear being larger here than in other states. I have seen some huge ones.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 2:32:56 PM EDT
[#48]
So I've never shot a bear with a bow or a rifle, but I have a hard time believing that I couldn't drop one with an AR before it became a problem. Same with my G19.

I get the mass/velocity/penetration argument. I understand if they are amped up and pissed they might get to you before you can zip enough rounds through them.

The black bears I've seen in AZ so far are like twice the size of big dogs. I'm pretty sure some 9mm JHPs in the right spot are going to change his mind. I'm 100% confident that well placed rounds from an AR would change the thing's mind. Animals that are all jacked up don't die right away, I get that, but a bear can only take so much pain and bodily damage before it stops being a threat.

I think if you are going to go hunt bear, you need to bring the right caliber, but I've never felt under-gunned with having a 9mm on me when bopping around in the woods/desert.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 2:35:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Attachment Attached File

In 45 Colt. Nothing says fuck you quite like a 335gr WFN bullet started at 1260FPS. It's big enough to kill almost anything and it's small enough to be very controllable, although no one that has shot it cares to shoot more than 6 shots besides me and 1 other guy.

For smaller critters and general shooting a 265gr WFN at 1380FPS is a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
ima say anything bigger then 10mm with a fmj or the likes as im sure hollow points would expand too soon.

now if you are on a hike why not have a shockwave in a scabbard strapped to the back or on the pack? just reach back and have 5 12g slugs or buckshot?

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/attachments/other-long-arms/294090d1494668119-my-new-mossberg-590-shockwave-model-shotgun-new-range-test-added-5-26-17-img_1326.jpg
View Quote
Bingo
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top