User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 2:42:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I live in AZ, hunt and fish and am in the outdoors all the time and rarely here of encounters with Mt Lions. Were the hell in AZ are you ??

Id be more worried about a bear but even that is not likely and not likely to be a violent encounter even if you do run across one.

But really, were are these cats that you speak of that maul and kill people often around here?
View Quote
https://www.realtree.com/archive/news/az-man-attacked-by-mountain-lion
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 3:05:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

God damn!

Take me out of the 9mm column and place me in the .44 mag.

What county was that?
View Quote
Monroe right next to Carbon. On 115 just past 940
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#3]
These threads always bring out some of GD's finest members
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
.41 Magnum
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live in AZ, hunt and fish and am in the outdoors all the time and rarely here of encounters with Mt Lions. Were the hell in AZ are you ??

Id be more worried about a bear but even that is not likely and not likely to be a violent encounter even if you do run across one.

But really, were are these cats that you speak of that maul and kill people often around here?
https://www.realtree.com/archive/news/az-man-attacked-by-mountain-lion
Fish and Game has two attacks recorded since 1890  and no deaths. Can't speak for AZGFD accuracy or veracity, but I doubt they'd miss a death.

http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/mtn_lion_attacks.shtml
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 4:07:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah, there are no browns in southern ID. I was referring to the black bear being larger here than in other states. I have seen some huge ones.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never seen a brown down here in gem county but plenty of black bears.  As such a 357 is plenty, imo.  Brown's around, that's a whole nother issue.
Yeah, there are no browns in southern ID. I was referring to the black bear being larger here than in other states. I have seen some huge ones.
I thought you may have seen some down here. Until last year I'd never seen a whitetail in this area.  Last probably saw 30 does.  So things seem to be changing.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#8]

muh shot placement

But seriously. At the very least, IMO, hard cast .357 out of a 6" bbl. You could probably do with less, but why risk it?
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I took a small black with a revolving carbine (uberti 1873 action) in .45 Colt. Not optimal but it worked.

I would prefer a hot 44
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 4:40:43 PM EDT
[#10]
fpni
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I thought you may have seen some down here. Until last year I'd never seen a whitetail in this area.  Last probably saw 30 does.  So things seem to be changing.
View Quote
I noticed this as well with the change. I don't think I know of anyone ever seeing a brown bear in S ID. Sometimes the occasional moose but very rarely.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#12]
.50 AE
10mm
.44 Mag
.357 Mag

If I had a 9mm, heavy HST +P, or maybe even some hot FMJ for penetration. I guess that would partially depend on capacity as well for me
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#13]
45 Super.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
500 S&W Magnum
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#15]
10mm or 357 magnum would be ideal.

I like 10mm in my Glock 20 for the capacity. It's also much easier for me to conceal than my 4" revolvers. Easier to put night sites and a light on too.

I love revolvers but I can't deny the practicality of the G20 for a woods gun.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oddly the few I've seen were in the desert near mt lemmon or in a neighborhood in cave creek.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 11:17:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Anything not called 9MM.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Something in a rifle caliber from an Encore.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 10:39:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Something in a rifle caliber from an Encore.
View Quote
I like the way you think! I have a Contender in .45-70 that I bought for deer hunting, but more and more find myself wishing I'd bought an Encore.

There's an Encore with blackpowder barrel at a local pawnshop that I've been watching, if it sits long enough for them to drop the price I'll make it mine and trade the barrel for something I want.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:51:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
.357/ .44 Magnum in a Marlin 1894
View Quote
Beautiful
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Howdah pistol when you just don't want to take chances...
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top