Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 7:22:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Border Collie without a doubt.

No doubt.

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 7:24:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:  God, I HATE heelers––nasty biting bastards.  

Mine only bites assholes.

Everyone else he "nips".

He toughens the kids right up.....

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 7:26:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's an easy one, Border Collie

This.

ETA:  Not sure about the Texas heat though.

IIRC the border collie is a SoCal breed, so heat shouldn't be a problem.

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 7:26:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I once saw a documentry on a sheep hearding piglet. Even won some big hearding competitions, as I recall. Should check them out.....
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 7:32:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 7:45:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 7:46:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You can have any dog you want, as long as it's a Golden.

http://i.sawblade-tx.com/max1.jpg

Best dogs ever.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 7:50:22 AM EDT
[#8]

I con...cur...

ETA:

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 7:51:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
On top of that the little bastards are too fast to catch, so you can't beat the biting out of them.  

My GSD shares your sentiments.

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 7:57:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Work with a Heeler and they only nip gently when playing. They are mouthy but so far the 2 I have had were easy to train not to bite hard when playing. They would just hold onto my hand when playing, if they got too rough all I had to do was say "ouch" and they felt so guilty they would lick my face like crazy apologizing.

Both Heelers were easy to train to get along with other pets/people. They do love to herd things, especially kitties.

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 8:02:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 8:06:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's an easy one, Border Collie

Many of the ranchers in my part of Montana had either blue heelers or border collies......or BOTH.One good friend had Great Pyrennes.(including a 180 lb male that I never did trust)
Some mixed breed non-descript mutts turn out to be damn good cow dogs.
Many MANY times I've seen trucks in a parking lot at a big box store with a dog,or 2, laying on the flat bed.They would NEVER jump off or growl/bark at passersby.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Are they, of any of the dogs suggested, likely to be rescued dogs? Shelters and the like are where we get all our four legged friends.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 9:28:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Border Collie.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 9:30:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Are they, of any of the dogs suggested, likely to be rescued dogs? Shelters and the like are where we get all our four legged friends.

Plenty of rescue heelers, border collies not so much.  There is a reason for that.

But both make great work dogs.

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 9:35:57 AM EDT
[#16]

This is the answer u seek...

ETA If you're looking for a dog to protect your livestock go with the Anatolian Shepherd..

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

As much as I support rescuing dogs, if this is going to be a real working dog and not merely a pet/friend, the OP needs to be more picky about what he's getting. Ideally, you want to have a working dog raised in its "work environment" from the time it's a small pup so that it gets used to and bonded to the other animals it will be taking care of and herding/guarding.

That's not to say there aren't stories out there about adult rescue dogs adapting to these roles, but it often doesn't work out.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#18]
I like healers but I prefer welsh corgies for that job. When I had cattle the cows can kick at them and they are so short the hoof goes right over them. My two picked up to herding very naturally, i taught them my own random commands bc I didn't know any better. I had a large shop beside my house right on the main drag in town when I was in highschool (2005ish). People would come over while i'd be out welding and have a few beers. We'd get drunk and have those corgies herd people all over hell. They'd cut a few selected friends out of a group of 20 or 30 and they would herd them right into oncoming traffic if you told them to.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#19]

+10

I have one too.  Smart as shit and protective of my kids.

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 9:48:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As much as I support rescuing dogs, if this is going to be a real working dog and not merely a pet/friend, the OP needs to be more picky about what he's getting. Ideally, you want to have a working dog raised in its "work environment" from the time it's a small pup so that it gets used to and bonded to the other animals it will be taking care of and herding/guarding.

That's not to say there aren't stories out there about adult rescue dogs adapting to these roles, but it often doesn't work out.

Well, that is why I, in part, qualified it with "friends". I mean, I wouldn't expect to find sheep or horses at a shelter. At some point, animals are more working and less pets. Livestock is even further removed.

But if not a shelter, then from other ranches or auctions?

Finally, where do such dogs expect to sleep? In bed with the Mistress or in the barn?

Oh........and how do they do fixed?
_________________________________________________________________________________
("Filet Mignon and a Vasectomy."––Carnac the Magnificent holding the envelope to his head and then upon opening it, "Name two expensive cuts.", (w,stte), "The Tonight Show")
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#22]
I had a Basenji...the smartest dog I have ever been around....
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 11:32:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I had a Basenji...the smartest dog I have ever been around....

But they don't bark, right?  Sometimes cattle need a bit of "verbal" motivation to get their attention.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 11:35:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, that is why I, in part, qualified it with "friends". I mean, I wouldn't expect to find sheep or horses at a shelter. At some point, animals are more working and less pets. Livestock is even further removed.

Finally, where do such dogs expect to sleep? In bed with the Mistress or in the barn?

_________________________________________________________________________________

("Filet Mignon and a Vasectomy."––Carnac the Magnificent holding the envelope to his head and then upon opening it, "Name two expensive cuts.", (w,stte), "The Tonight Show")

Think of it this way––if you are a solid enough family to be buying a ranch it's a safe bet you didn't meet your wife while she was on a street corner asking if you wanted to "party."  Shelter/rescue dogs are the street corner whores of the canine world.  That doesn't mean they can't have a heart of gold, but it does minimize the chance of getting what you want, and maximizes the chance of problems.  

Rescue dogs are universally ones that someone else has given up on, or "accidental" litters of mongrels.  If you want the best chance of having a well-performing dog that is actually useful (not just a "shit machine"), then get a well-bred pup from a reputable breeder ($600-$1000 for border collies, dunno about other breeds), or a fully trained young dog ($2000 and up).  Your headaches will be few and your satisfaction will be high.  
You are blaming the dogs for their situation instead of the original owners. I have had a lifetime of excellent dogs that were "leftovers." One was found on a freeway in the middle of Phoenix. A month later he was herding cattle the first time he saw them, WITHOUT commands, but after he looked at me to ask permission.

Sounds like you have never had a rescue dog, or are trying to justify your own spending, or perhaps both. People are shitbags and are neglectful of animals, it's not the animal's fault.

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Think of it this way––if you are a solid enough family to be buying a ranch it's a safe bet you didn't meet your wife while she was on a street corner asking if you wanted to "party."  Shelter/rescue dogs are the street corner whores of the canine world.  That doesn't mean they can't have a heart of gold, but it does minimize the chance of getting what you want, and maximizes the chance of problems.  

Rescue dogs are universally ones that someone else has given up on, or "accidental" litters of mongrels.  If you want the best chance of having a well-performing dog that is actually useful (not just a "shit machine"), then get a well-bred pup from a reputable breeder ($600-$1000 for border collies, dunno about other breeds), or a fully trained young dog ($2000 and up).  Your headaches will be few and your satisfaction will be high.  

I am not a Lesbian and my family consists of, right now, me, two cats, one dog.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#27]
If you have a wolf or coyote problem, heelers will not do much.  Suggest the Dogo Argentina or a Rhodesian Ridgeback.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are blaming the dogs for their situation instead of the original owners. I have had a lifetime of excellent dogs that were "leftovers." One was found on a freeway in the middle of Phoenix. A month later he was herding cattle the first time he saw them, WITHOUT commands, but after he looked at me to ask permission.

Sounds like you have never had a rescue dog, or are trying to justify your own spending, or perhaps both. People are shitbags and are neglectful of animals, it's not the animal's fault.

I don't think he's saying that rescue dogs can't be loving pets, but working dogs are another story.  I'm sure there are some rescue dogs who turn out to be great workers, but the best working dogs I've owned and worked with were raised to work cattle.  Some breeds are hard-wired to herd animals.  Most aren't.  

Our working dogs live in the barn with the horses.  They are friendly and will play with the boys, but mostly they just "herd" them around the yard.  Our "pets" are rescue dogs and live inside.  Wonderful companions, but would likely get stomped to death if they ever went out in the pasture because they have no clue what to do and it's not something you can really train a dog to do.  You can sharpen the skills of a good heeler/shepherd, but they pretty much have 90% of their "training" in their genes.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 11:47:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#30]

I had an Australian shepherd mix. She was a great dog!

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I guess your one stolen dog proves it!  

Sometimes rescue dogs make good pets.
Sometimes rescue dogs make good working dogs.
Most of the time rescue dogs have problems that should have been cured as pups, and the ship has long sailed to correct them.
Life isn't a Disney movie.  You have a much higher chance of getting a behavior problem from the shelter than a well adjusted animal suitable for work.
tbk1 is spot on with his advice.

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#32]
No love for rottweilers round here?
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:I don't think he's saying that rescue dogs can't be loving pets, but working dogs are another story.  I'm sure there are some rescue dogs who turn out to be great workers, but the best working dogs I've owned and worked with were raised to work cattle.  Some breeds are hard-wired to herd animals.  Most aren't.  

Our working dogs live in the barn with the horses.  They are friendly and will play with the boys, but mostly they just "herd" them around the yard.  Our "pets" are rescue dogs and live inside.  Wonderful companions, but would likely get stomped to death if they ever went out in the pasture because they have no clue what to do and it's not something you can really train a dog to do.  You can sharpen the skills of a good heeler/shepherd, but they pretty much have 90% of their "training" in their genes.  

This, in part, is the kind of information I need.

The house pets would say in the house or the house containment area (protected yard, burrows filled in, that kind of stuff).

I don't know how much or what kind of live stock I will have. It may just be goats or sheep for an agriculture exemption (or airborne surveillance detection assistance such as if poachers/trespassers are causing a change in animal movement). It may be another's cattle allowed to graze on "my land". It might not be anything "domesticated" at all since one tract states a lot of game on it. (all conceptual at this point, mind you)

I do understand the concept of working dogs and see them other than as pets; I was around them often enough in Navy Police.

But here there are two questions. How do such working dogs see the household pets? Secondly, I've often dreamed of an Aussie sheep dog as a pet; how would a working dog see a pet dog of similar breeding?
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Heeler FTW...
Long lived
Few genetic defects
Smart as fook
Quick and agile
Tireless
Heat tolerant
Loyal.
Strong

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
No love for rottweilers round here?

Most modern Rotties have been bred a  LONG way from their old drover roots.  You pretty much have to go back to Europe to find breeders specializing in herders nowadays.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 11:57:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If you have a wolf or coyote problem, heelers will not do much.  Suggest the Dogo Argentina or a Rhodesian Ridgeback.

My neighbor is still pissed that my 45 lb. heeler whupped his RR...

He is forever running yotes out of the yard.  I tried to make him a "decoy dog" but he is way too bold and aggressive.

As a pup he ate coyote for breakfast:

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Whatever you decide to get, make sure the dog is bred from proven working stock.  You will have a better chance of getting an animal that will preform its intended purpose such as herding and guarding. Some people make that mistake and accidentally get a backyard bred mutt or a show type dog because they think they are all the same. An adult dog from a shelter might be an option too. Some places might even let you try one out to see if they are a good fit for your situation.

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 12:20:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
[
But here there are two questions. How do such working dogs see the household pets? Secondly, I've often dreamed of an Aussie sheep dog as a pet; how would a working dog see a pet dog of similar breeding?

Most true working dogs never or rarely see the inside of the house. They live in the field with their charges, doing their herding or guarding. If introduced early and often to the "pets" on the property it would probably be no issue at all if the house pets went out and hung out with them on occasion.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 12:22:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

But here there are two questions. How do such working dogs see the household pets?

Speaking for myself and my dogs, the workers and the pets don't really mix.  I have 3200 acres and the pets never leave the 5 acres I have fenced around the house for our "yard."  The working dogs never come inside that fence and have never really shown any desire to do so.  They stay with the horses and only leave the barn area when we go out to work the herd.  I love those dogs and they get treated very well, but they live to work.  They'd much rather go herd cattle than play with a ball or sit in a warm lap.  They are friendly, but not familiar, if that makes sense.  In the past, I've had working dogs that came inside and were wonderful family pets.  These dogs just don't have that personality.  They are simply 4-legged ranch hands.  Very smart and incredibly loyal.  They will put themselves in harm's way to protect my family and the herd without regard for their own safety.  Especially when it comes to my boys.

For instance, last week we were getting the herd separated for shipping.  My boys are almost 5 years old and were watching from the back of one of the ranch trucks we had parked near the corral.  As a single dad, I often take them out with me and they love to watch all the action.  One of the boys reached out and tried to pet a cow as it walked by and fell out of the truck bed.  I was standing on a fence about 100yds away and the closest hand was on foot and couldn't see him.  I yelled for my boy to roll under the truck, but he was scared or didn't hear me and just froze there on the ground.  Next thing I knew, all three dogs were next to him, keeping the cattle away until I could get there.  They didn't need a word...instinct told them to protect the boy.  The dogs got brisket that night.  

Secondly, I've often dreamed of an Aussie sheep dog as a pet; how would a working dog see a pet dog of similar breeding?

It's funny, but I sometimes think my working dogs look down on my pets.  Just the look on their faces.  Kinda like a group of cowboys regarding a table full of hippies from across the bar.  :)  No aggression, just disdain.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 12:29:06 PM EDT
[#40]
As I think about this and gather information.....a water production site I once visited used feral or wild cats for rodent control. While I don't know if I would go that direction, there are practical limits to having a big heart where all the animals live, if I did go that direction, they would be fixed and probably vaccinated. I know, I know, like HOW and at what cost?

But that aside for a moment, herding dogs and other working animals such as cats (slightly domesticated or feral): thoughts on that?

Ie, might it be, "Oh, I love my Mistress! I love my work, she gives me a barn with hay to sleep in, and she constantly brings in those little pointy eared things that are fun to chase and are delicious!"
__________________________________________________________________________________
("Buster thanked the bunnies for the wonderful egg hunt......and then he ate them."

(open the card), "THE EGGS! HE ATE THE EGGS!", (w,stte), an Easter greeting card)
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Love dogos but all of mine have always chased everything they see, and kill it! They are fearless and make great hunters, sheppards not so much!
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

But that aside for a moment, herding dogs and other working animals such as cats (slightly domesticated or feral): thoughts on that?

Very much depends on the individual dogs.  My current dogs ignore the resident barn cat.  My previous dogs would have killed it on sight.  The local coyote population pretty much eliminates the risk of any "new" feral cats wandering onto my property.  Those bastards own the forest outside my fence lines.  

Kittens and puppies that are raised together will often get along just fine.  However, use caution when adding any new animal to an existing animal environment.  

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#43]
This has become a little over-complicated.

You don't have livestock, you're not sure what livestock you will get.  You don't know how to train a working dog.  You don't know how to use a working dog.  You probably won't have enough animals to "really need" a herding dog.  
Most ranchers and cattlemen that have herding dogs (me included) don't use them properly.  Once you screw one up and he starts barking at cattle and doing things that are counterproductive you will find an anger within you that you didn't know existed.  I know this very well.

My advice is to go and look at dogs and get one.  It can be one of any of the good dogs listed in this thread.  It won't matter.  Five years from now you'll have a dog that will probably never have worked an animal.  But, if you get a dog that is well-behaved, family oriented, loyal and kind.....You'll have something.

I've bought working dogs that have cost from $100 up to $1000.  I've gotten then half-trained (started) and freshly weaned.  The best dogs I've ever had have always been aussies or border collie/aussie/heeler crosses.  The one I posted pics of earlier (Loper) cost me $150 and is by far the best working dog I've ever had.  I trained him by taking him with me everyday, but not until he was over a year old.  

I'm rambling...If you need more info than this I can go on and on, but my best advice is to go get a puppy and treat him/her as part of the family.  Worry less about breed and more about the demeanor of the parents.    

I know ranchers in many states and most of them have dogs and horses.  Most of them use neither.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#44]
I have to be partial to my boy. I cant believe there is no Rottie love here
From wiki,and from what i have come to find out.,
The Rottweiler, when working cattle, searches out the dominant animal and challenges it. Upon proving its control over that animal it settles back and tends to its work.

Some growers have found that Rottweilers are especially suited to move stubborn stock that simply ignore Border Collies, Kelpies, and others. Rottweilers use their bodies to physically force the stubborn animal to do its bidding if necessary.

When working with sheep the Rottweiler shows a gathering/fetching style and reams directions easily. It drives sheep with ease.

In some cases Rottweilers have begun herding cattle without any experience at all.

If worked on the same stock for any length of time the Rottweiler tends to develop a bond with the stock and will become quite affectionate with them as long as they do as it directs.[20]
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I see the "get both" above for a Heeler & Border collie. Here's mine: Heeler & Australian shepherd. Good dag.

thats a beautiful dog

Link Posted: 5/4/2012 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#46]

+1, great dogs on the farm.
Link Posted: 5/4/2012 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#47]
My Texas Heeler, Max, tends to "herd" everything.

Cars, Lawn Mowers, Kids, Adults, other animals...
He bites the tires on the mower, the truck, my Niece went running across the yard and he was having NONE of that shit so he heeled her and brought her down...
It was funny, never hurt her just embarrassed her a bit.

He was a volunteer dog and came to live here by just showing up one day.

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 2:30:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This has become a little over-complicated.

You don't have livestock, you're not sure what livestock you will get.  You don't know how to train a working dog.  You don't know how to use a working dog.  You probably won't have enough animals to "really need" a herding dog.  
Most ranchers and cattlemen that have herding dogs (me included) don't use them properly.  Once you screw one up and he starts barking at cattle and doing things that are counterproductive you will find an anger within you that you didn't know existed.  I know this very well.

My advice is to go and look at dogs and get one.  It can be one of any of the good dogs listed in this thread.  It won't matter.  Five years from now you'll have a dog that will probably never have worked an animal.  But, if you get a dog that is well-behaved, family oriented, loyal and kind.....You'll have something.

I've bought working dogs that have cost from $100 up to $1000.  I've gotten then half-trained (started) and freshly weaned.  The best dogs I've ever had have always been aussies or border collie/aussie/heeler crosses.  The one I posted pics of earlier (Loper) cost me $150 and is by far the best working dog I've ever had.  I trained him by taking him with me everyday, but not until he was over a year old.  

I'm rambling...If you need more info than this I can go on and on, but my best advice is to go get a puppy and treat him/her as part of the family.  Worry less about breed and more about the demeanor of the parents.    

I know ranchers in many states and most of them have dogs and horses.  Most of them use neither.

All points noted but just be aware that I am doing research and asking questions before I get to buying.
Link Posted: 5/5/2012 2:46:04 AM EDT
[#49]
My two heelers.  They are a somewhat easily trainable dog, but anyone who owns one will tell you they are strong willed and you need to be firm with them and consistant.  They are almost too smart for their own good, so are headstrong in getting them trained, but they catch on quick.

Once trained, they are a joy and some of the best dogs you'll ever see.  They are compact, tough, and loyal to the extreme.  My dogs ran sheep in Texas when I was working ranches there and I really didn't have to teach them anything, it's just in their genetic code.

Link Posted: 5/5/2012 2:55:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Rhodesian Ridgeback.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top