Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 11:38:08 AM EDT
[#1]
lately I've been on a Pacific theatre kick.

The Battle of the Philippine Sea and the later Invasion of Leyte with the Battle off Samar are beyond interesting
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#2]
The millions of Russian soldiers that were taken prisoner by Germany with a great majority never to return home.

On that note, the vast number of young men all sides lost and future impact on society.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 11:40:01 AM EDT
[#3]
How the Battleship went from the most expensive/powerful naval weapon in the world to obsolete pretty much overnight.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 11:43:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Manpower,yes. Equipment? Nope.

Perhaps you should stop relying on google and actually read the works of historians. You’re parroting false talking points with way too much confidence.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Google the amount of manpower and equipment Germany expended fighting the Russians. It's not made up.
Manpower,yes. Equipment? Nope.

Perhaps you should stop relying on google and actually read the works of historians. You’re parroting false talking points with way too much confidence.
+1

You would think that the downfall of militaryphotos.net would have reduced that kind of derp online. lol
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#5]
The Battle of Britain was one that always fascinated me also.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Jets, if Hitler had 12 more months we'd be speaking German.
View Quote
Jesus, I've read some silly and inaccurate things on the internet, but this statement is just...

Wrong.

You need to actually read some WWII history sometime. You might figure out how goofy it is.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

QFT.   With the assistance of triangulation, our hunter-killers groups (one CVE and six DE) were largely responsible for eliminating the U-boat threat.  If the Germans had the newer and quieter Type XXI in large operational numbers, we would have been SOL for a  while.

Our subs in the Pacific sank about 90% of the Japanese merchant marine, making it near impossible for Japan to feed itself or sustain the war effort.  It's one of the three main reasons why Japan had to capitulate.
View Quote
They were impressive subs.

In May 1945 U3503 was scuttled by its crew in Swedish waters. The Swedish Navy salvaged torpedoes and secret documents in the first few weeks, and a year later the whole sub was raised. All aspects of it was far head of our subs, so we studied all of it. The entire snorkle assembly was removed and refitted to a Swedish sub.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 12:08:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 12:11:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Since my Grandfather was a US Army Infantry Officer and participated in the Battle Of The Bulge and also crossed the Rhine
and went to Germany, I've always been interested in the ETO.

However, as an aviator, I'm fascinated with the air war in the Pacific, both USAAF and USN/USMC.
The weather, distances flown over water and lack of resources made their flying/fighting much harder
than in the ETO.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#10]
The worst acts of humanity and the greatest acts of humanity, all occurring simultaneously
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I get all that, but turning the US from an active source of enemy aid into an enemy belligerent was still stupid, and it sealed Germany's fate.
View Quote
Hitler also lived through WWI.  Even without the US involved officially, we provided tons of support to the Triple Entente.  He probably saw the writing on the wall, and wanted to try to engage us directly rather than not step on our toes like the Kaiser tried, and failed, to do.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 12:24:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Manhattan Project

Finland Winter / continuation war.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#13]
when the germans bombed pearl harbor & then it was over
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#14]
That the US tried to stay out of the conflict and only declared war on the European axis countries after they had declared war on the US.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I’ve always been fascinated by the naval war in the Mediterranean.  The Royal Navy (led by two of its best admirals, Cunningham and Somerville) against the sometimes feckless, sometimes dangerous Italian Regia Marina, backed by the German air force and small craft.  There were heavily fought reinforcement convoys to Malta, British raids on German and Italian convoys to Libya, battleship and cruiser engagements, underwater commando raids, and the longest ship-to-ship gunnery hit in history: HMS Warspite on the Giulio Cesare at 26,000 yards.  It’s also interesting how the Italians were hampered by stereotypical characteristics: munitions makers manufacture a top notch batch of shells for the testing of their new 15-inch guns to get the contract, then make them really cheaply for the main production run (except for when they knew a navy quality inspection was being done).  Resulted in their newest battleships, which had excellent fire control and extremely accurate guns, having some of the worst shooting in naval history, with some salvoes having a dispersion of a mile or so.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 12:42:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Aircraft were biplanes prop planes at the beginning, jets by the end.
View Quote
Fixed. Some biplanes were definitely still in use at the beginning, but the major combatants had all adopted monoplanes as their primary fighters by the time they entered the war.

US: P-40, F4F
UK: Hurricane, Spitfire
Germany: Bf-109, Bf-110
Japan: Ki-27, A5M
USSR: I-16
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#17]
The irony of it for me is that it was almost over before it began* yet so many ended up dying.

*The US development of nukes was such a huge step ahead in technology that even if Germany and Japan started turning back the tide it would have been absolutely reversed as fast as the nukes could be deployed.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yes, the effort Americans undertook to make certain that half the world was enslaved under Communism was indeed remarkable. No other nation could have managed such and then been so humble as to never take credit for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Came here to post this. It's become trendy to claim that the Soviets won the war and American contributions were minimal, the Pacific Theater was a side show, etc. The United States performed the impossible during that war.
Yes, the effort Americans undertook to make certain that half the world was enslaved under Communism was indeed remarkable. No other nation could have managed such and then been so humble as to never take credit for it.
I wish you were wrong.

But you're not.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#19]
That, at least in Europe, it didn't have to happen in the first place.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We won.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Theater of operation, group of people, time period, subconflict, etc.
We won.
Ernest King? I thought you were dead.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#21]
How intelligence was what really won the war in both theaters

How Hitler could have won the Battle of Britain if he knew how strapped Britain was
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Battle of the Atlantic. U Boats vs the convoys and anti submarine warfare. ‘39- ‘43
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Google the amount of manpower and equipment Germany expended fighting the Russians. It's not made up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The US did perform the impossible but it is historical fact that over 70% of Germany's military and resources were occupied fighting the Soviets. So in the European theater at least, it was literally Germany vs. Russia.
You're exactly the type he's talking about.

The luftwaffe used the most resources out of all branches, and was destroyed in the west. Your stat is completely made up.
Guys like you who fetishize the Russian contribution, don’t have any understanding of Logistics.

If you ever saw the long lines of trains, ships, or huge airplanes involved with moving a Battalion, you would know better.    The Nazis didn’t understand Logistics either, or they never would have started the war.

Britain controlled the ocean, and America supplied nearly everything the Soviets needed.

Germany was Blockaded, just like in WWI, and that’s what defeated them.

Imagine being a German commander, and being short on everything, from food, to fuel, to oil, to parts, to medicine, to clothing, to ammunition of every kind.

And in spite of all this, they still won nearly every battle with the Russians.

You’ve lived a sheltered life, if you can’t picture how important Logistics is to waging modern war.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
But who exactly would have been around and competent enough to fly them correctly? Production wasn't Germany's problem, manpower and fuel were.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But who exactly would have been around and competent enough to fly them correctly? Production wasn't Germany's problem, manpower and fuel were.
My grandfather went over in the late '40s, early '50s to train German pilots and rebuild their airforce. These were mostly WWII Luftwaffe vets. He said that they were there worst pilots he'd ever seen. They barely knew the basics and he had to treat them like beginners. That's the shape they were in at the end of the war. All of the properly trained and skilled guys got killed.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The amount of technological innovation during the war may never been matched.  It’s baffling to me how much the world changed in 5 years.
View Quote
This. Combined with the fact it touched every corner of the globe, and when it was over everything was different forever.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Guys like you who fetishize the Russian contribution, don’t have any understanding of Logistics.

If you ever saw the long lines of trains, ships, or huge airplanes involved with moving a Battalion, you would know better.    The Nazis didn’t understand Logistics either, or they never would have started the war.

Britain controlled the ocean, and America supplied nearly everything the Soviets needed.

Germany was Blockaded, just like in WWI, and that’s what defeated them.

Imagine being a German commander, and being short on everything, from food, to fuel, to oil, to parts, to medicine, to clothing, to ammunition of every kind.

You’ve lived a sheltered life, if you can’t picture how important Logistics is to waging modern war.
View Quote
Logistics won the damn war.  And to echo someone else, the Russians were using ill-equipped troops in human wave tactics after Stalin shot his best generals.  I don’t want to minimize the Russian loss or sacrifice in the war, but a lot of that can be laid at the door of Stalin and Communism, so comparing their contribution and ours is hardly equal.  We fought smarter, and kept the Russians from losing due to their own idiocy and idiotic, failing system.  They sacrificed people with no regard for human life after trying to split things with Hitler.  Their “Great Patriotic War” was a mess largely of their own making.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Much of what has been shared. Operation Olympic, Coronet, and Downfall are fascinating also. Glad those were cancelled
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Another fascinating aspect is how many “Great Men” converged in history at the same time.

When I say “great” I don’t mean good.   FDR and Stalin were ruthless power hungry communists.   Hitler was, well, Hitler...
Churchill was as cold and calculating as the rest of them.

But each, was amazing in terms of Leadership ability.   What they were able to exhort their people to accomplish.

Charisma combined modern propaganda and ruthless efficiency.

Truly amazing.    Any one of those guys could have conquered the world, had they rose to prominence during a different time.

To put it another way, Hitler believed he was destined to conquer Europe, and he would have been right.    Had he not run up against three other guys who were destined to stop him.

Russia would have fragmented without Stalin, and Britain would have made peace without Churchill.  It was the sensible thing to do.

The US would have survived without FDR, but could have easily ignored the whole European problem or profited from both sides.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 3:50:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Guys like you who fetishize the Russian contribution, don't have any understanding of Logistics.

If you ever saw the long lines of trains, ships, or huge airplanes involved with moving a Battalion, you would know better.    The Nazis didn't understand Logistics either, or they never would have started the war.

Germany was Blockaded, just like in WWI, and that's what defeated them.

You've lived a sheltered life, if you can't picture how important Logistics is to waging modern war.
View Quote
It's amazing how just pointing out facts makes people fetishizing the Russian contribution.  I pointed out earlier in the thread that Germany's mistake was thinking they could supply their armies in battles far away from Germany. Stalingrad was 2500 miles from Berlin, outside of Germany's ability to resupply their army.
All I have been pointing out in this thread is that Russia tied up 70% of Germany's military, but guys like you are completely blind to this, and pointing it out triggers you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Much of what has been shared. Operation Olympic, Coronet, and Downfall are fascinating also. Glad those were cancelled
View Quote
They would have dwarfed every major invasion landing before or since.

The projections for casualties were so incredible, that the Purple Hearts ordered for these invasions, were still being issued out into US Armed Forces well into the late 90s

Korea, Vietnam, Gulf War I, Somalia, ect...
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 4:04:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nah, but we would have nuked 'em.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 4:16:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's amazing how just pointing out facts makes people fetishizing the Russian contribution.  I pointed out earlier in the thread that Germany's mistake was thinking they could supply their armies in battles far away from Germany. Stalingrad was 2500 miles from Berlin, outside of Germany's ability to resupply their army.
All I have been pointing out in this thread is that Russia tied up 70% of Germany's military, but guys like you are completely blind to this, and pointing it out triggers you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guys like you who fetishize the Russian contribution, don't have any understanding of Logistics.

If you ever saw the long lines of trains, ships, or huge airplanes involved with moving a Battalion, you would know better.    The Nazis didn't understand Logistics either, or they never would have started the war.

Germany was Blockaded, just like in WWI, and that's what defeated them.

You've lived a sheltered life, if you can't picture how important Logistics is to waging modern war.
70% Lolz I’m not triggered at all.  Just amused.    All of your “facts” are based on lies and propaganda.  You read something, or saw a YouTube video one time, made some assumptions, and your learning process Stopped Dead.    I’m trying to restart it.

If you care to educate yourself, read about the bomber missions against Germany, and all that Germany did to defend itself. (they actually did pretty well).    Read about the Med and North Africa campaigns and ask yourself; Why would that area be strategically important?
Read about the battle of the North Atlantic and ask yourself why That was important, and then, read about Germanys Uboat program and it’s attempt at building a Navy.

If you’ve never been on a Battleship or a Submarine, you’ve got no concept of what it takes to build and staff and operate one.   You also have to clue about Heavy bombers, and medium bombers, and light bombers, and ground attack planes, and fighters, and seaplanes, and transports.   Tens of Thousands of them. Crawl inside one someday, and take a close look at the details.  
It’s kind of sad but, This is the kind of thing which won WWII, not a few million Russian bodies.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The Russian were willing to fight, and for that, we are grateful.  All the rest of your claims are uneducated nonsense.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

70% Lolz I'm not triggered at all.  Just amused.    All of your "facts" are based on lies and propaganda.  You read something, or saw a YouTube video one time, made some assumptions, and your learning process Stopped Dead.    I'm trying to restart it.

If you care to educate yourself, read about the bomber missions against Germany, and all that Germany did to defend itself. (they actually did pretty well).    Read about the Med and North Africa campaigns and ask yourself; Why would that area be strategically important?
Read about the battle of the North Atlantic and ask yourself why That was important, and then, read about Germanys Uboat program and it's attempt at building a Navy.

If you've never been on a Battleship or a Submarine, you've got no concept of what it takes to build and staff and operate one.   You also have to clue about Heavy bombers, and medium bombers, and light bombers, and ground attack planes, and fighters, and seaplanes, and transports.   Tens of Thousands of them. Crawl inside one someday, and take a close look at the details.  
It's kind of sad but, This is the kind of thing which won WWII, not a few million Russian bodies.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/12451/6AB68948-C71F-4B31-946E-245B580BF3FE_jpeg-1066972.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/12451/33B99AC5-E6D3-4244-B0FF-0FBB30143CA3_jpeg-1066974.JPG  
The Russian were willing to fight, and for that, we are grateful.  All the rest of your claims are uneducated nonsense.
View Quote
Let's do this.  Since you are clearly the expert, and I the uneducated serf, give the numbers.  How many Germans were on the Eastern front vs. the Western front, how many tanks, how many planes etc...  Post the numbers and we'll do the math.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#35]
I was always a Western Europe type of a guy. Just good old fashioned American soldiers kicking in the teeth of the bad guy. And if you could still find gentlemen on the battlefield, you typically found it on the Western front.

Eastern Europe was too messy, just socialists going blood thirsty on socialists. Also not a big tank guy.

I never really had an interest in the naval nor air aspect of warfare which was a big things for the Pacific, so I never really got into it. Plus I respect the hell out of the Japanese soldier, they were tough as nails and unafraid of death.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Let's do this.  Since you are clearly the expert, and I the uneducated serf, give the numbers.  How many Germans were on the Eastern front vs. the Western front, how many tanks, how many planes etc...  Post the numbers and we'll do the math.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

70% Lolz I'm not triggered at all.  Just amused.    All of your "facts" are based on lies and propaganda.  You read something, or saw a YouTube video one time, made some assumptions, and your learning process Stopped Dead.    I'm trying to restart it.

Read about the battle of the North Atlantic and ask yourself why That was important, and then, read about Germanys Uboat program and it's attempt at building a Navy.

If you've never been on a Battleship or a Submarine, you've got no concept of what it takes to build and staff and operate one.   You also have to clue about Heavy bombers, and medium bombers, and light bombers, and ground attack planes, and fighters, and seaplanes, and transports.   Tens of Thousands of them. Crawl inside one someday, and take a close look at the details.  
It's kind of sad but, This is the kind of thing which won WWII, not a few million Russian bodies.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/12451/6AB68948-C71F-4B31-946E-245B580BF3FE_jpeg-1066972.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/12451/33B99AC5-E6D3-4244-B0FF-0FBB30143CA3_jpeg-1066974.JPG  
It doesn’t matter how many, if you can’t feed, arm or clothe them.
That’s been true, since before the days of Napoleon.

I’m not an expert, but I enjoy learning about whole World war.   It’s endlessly fascinating.   You should try it.

We used Russia as a client state, to help defeat our enemies. They didn’t quit in the face of overwhelming losses, and they eventually learned to be effective with the logistics that we provided.  Nobody is trying to take that away from them.
How many gallons of gasoline did the Russians produce from 1940-1945?
How many tons of Steel?
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 5:47:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You are correct.  My father was the Chief Flt. Engineer Instructor at Alamogordo.

Otto Mueller, C.O. of the school, was the pilot of the first B-29 to survive a deadstick landing.

Maj. Mueller said that his Flt. Engineer saved that aircraft and had the Flt. Engineer write up the
procedures.  That Flt. Engineer was Louis Snyder 18OCT19-22AUG18.

They became best of friends and stayed in contact till Maj. Mueller's death.
Dad said that Maj. Mueller would buy the largest two bottles of red wine on almost
every Sunday, sign out two M-1 carbines w/ammo and they would walk the desert getting drunk and shoot rattlesnakes.

There was a period of time that the B-29 was killing more crews than the Japanese.

Dad died 1 year and three days ago, sorry for the choppy sentences.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The b-29 was the most expensive weapons system of world war II.
You are correct.  My father was the Chief Flt. Engineer Instructor at Alamogordo.

Otto Mueller, C.O. of the school, was the pilot of the first B-29 to survive a deadstick landing.

Maj. Mueller said that his Flt. Engineer saved that aircraft and had the Flt. Engineer write up the
procedures.  That Flt. Engineer was Louis Snyder 18OCT19-22AUG18.

They became best of friends and stayed in contact till Maj. Mueller's death.
Dad said that Maj. Mueller would buy the largest two bottles of red wine on almost
every Sunday, sign out two M-1 carbines w/ammo and they would walk the desert getting drunk and shoot rattlesnakes.

There was a period of time that the B-29 was killing more crews than the Japanese.

Dad died 1 year and three days ago, sorry for the choppy sentences.  
Great story!  Sorry for your loss..
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It doesn't matter how many, if you can't feed, arm or clothe them.
That's been true, since before the days of Napoleon.

I'm not an expert, but I enjoy learning about whole World war.   It's endlessly fascinating.   You should try it.

We used Russia as a client state, to help defeat our enemies. They didn't quit in the face of overwhelming losses, and they eventually learned to be effective with the logistics that we provided. Nobody is trying to take that away from them.
How many tons of Steel?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It doesn't matter how many, if you can't feed, arm or clothe them.
That's been true, since before the days of Napoleon.

I'm not an expert, but I enjoy learning about whole World war.   It's endlessly fascinating.   You should try it.

We used Russia as a client state, to help defeat our enemies. They didn't quit in the face of overwhelming losses, and they eventually learned to be effective with the logistics that we provided. Nobody is trying to take that away from them.
How many tons of Steel?
Yet anyone who points out what they did do, the massive amount of German resources that were lost fighting the Russians, is dismissed as "fetishizing the Russian contribution, don't have any understanding of Logistics."  Those were your words, so yes, in a way, you are tying to take that away from them.  
I know I have a Russian chick avatar, but does not reflect my political views. The Russians were every bit as bad as the Germans, I've never disputed that. It's just that everytime we have a WW2 thread, Russia's involvement is dismissed as being some sort of clown show. Yes they had our help, but they were fighting the bulk of the German war machine and did manage to kill more Germans in numbers the allies could only dream of.
Any numbers as far as gas produced or tons of steel produced would be Russian numbers and dismissed as propaganda.  The numbers of German sent to the Eastern front and losses are German numbers and are probably accurate.

The wartime military casualty figures compiled by German High Command, up until January 31, 1945, are often cited by military historians when covering individual campaigns in the war. A recent study by German historian Rdiger Overmans found that the German military casualties were 5.3 million, including 900,000 men conscripted from outside of Germany's 1937 borders

You can see by these where the majority of the fighting was.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 6:15:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
This. All other theaters of war paled in comparison.

Kursk tank battle was epic. Don't know why there are no movies about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1941 Eastern Front, when everyone was at the top of their game.

After that it was like a slowly deflating balloon for the Axis Powers.
This. All other theaters of war paled in comparison.

Kursk tank battle was epic. Don't know why there are no movies about it.
World War 2 - 1943 - Battle of Kursk - 1_5
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 6:18:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Our Submarine warfare in the Pacific although it was PT boats first. Battle of Britain period was always fascinating.
View Quote
Oh how does the American sub warfare interest me . How we would have done if we had had torpedoes equal to the Jap units? Still the diesel boats did damage to the japs all out of proportion to the size of the fleet and the numbers of sailors and officers . They paid the price in percentage of losses also.

I love PT boats but they were pretty fragile and partly because of lame torpedoes I don't believe they were very effective , more as scouting units and placeholders than any real threat against real naval ships. The guys who ran them were something else but as the book and movie said "they were expendable"
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Coastal Defense guns and bunkers and the strange weapons the Nazi's made.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Probably Japs being eaten by crocs on Ramree Island.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 6:29:10 PM EDT
[#43]
I've grown more interested in the Fallschirmjaeger over the years. My FIL was in the Fallschirmjaeger until he was captured at Brest in Sept 1944. He spent the next four or five years in a POW camp in England. They kept the SS, Uboat crews, and Fallschirmjaeger prisoners well after the war because the Allies were afraid that they would stir stuff up if released.

I wish I had spent more time talking to my FIL about his service. He would talk to me because of my background.

The operation that interested me the most was Gran Sasso. My FIL was there and had a different perspective on that operation than what you read. He mentioned it the first time we met and I made the mistake of mentioning Skorzeny. There was no love lost there.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#44]
"Most interesting?"

Most of my mother's family didn't come out of the camps.

What's most interesting to me is that the majority of the millions who served Nazi Germany, were never held to account.

Today, those remaining 95+ year old privates all deserve to have their throats slit.  Fuck them. Each and every one.

Link Posted: 8/25/2019 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
One interesting thing, and I’m not sure this is wording it correctly, was is the lack of value of life. Or maybe it was the scale of things.

We lost 4,000 souls during the years and years of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Roughly the same amount of Americans died on D Day. One single day.

All sides commanded soldiers to their deaths by the thousands.

80 million people dead.

It’s something I have a hard time putting into perspective.
View Quote
This, along with the willingness to be subjected to horrible conditions for extended periods.
No way would we be able to stomach something like that today.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
lately I've been on a Pacific theatre kick.

The Battle of the Philippine Sea and the later Invasion of Leyte with the Battle off Samar are beyond interesting
View Quote
what are you reading?

I've got Fleet at Flood Tide queued up
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The operation that interested me the most was Gran Sasso. My FIL was there and had a different perspective on that operation than what you read. He mentioned it the first time we met and I made the mistake of mentioning Skorzeny. There was no love lost there.
View Quote
Your FIL's opinion is understandable. And being on the subject of interesting, Skorzeny definitely was interesting... a valuable assett to both Hitler and Mossad.

Link Posted: 8/25/2019 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#48]
used to be zee Germans by far... German aviation and the cabal of gangsters that took over Germany in the 30's in particular... but I'm kinda over saturated with it now.

I like reading about pre-WW2 conditions.. other countries than the big 5 mostly, like Poland and France, etc... essentially the politics and logistics/big picture type stuff is what's most intriguing to me... I guess because I know less about that stuff.

I'm also interested in American naval operations in the Pacific.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Stalingrad.  It's where the total incompetence of Hitler cost Germany the war.
View Quote
Didn't you post the Hitler Armenian quote in an earlier thread?  Apologies in advance if I'm mistaken.
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 7:11:56 PM EDT
[#50]
The rise and fall of Hitler in Germany
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top