Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:29:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Local history
Living in northern Ohio, my maternal grandfather (1916-2005) worked 16 hours a day 6 days a week at Plum Brook Ordnance Works in Sandusky Ohio. He ran the third nitrater making TNT. I wonder how many of the bastards his tnt blew up during the war. My Paternal grandfather (1906-1981) worked as a firefighter at Marathon Oil.

Akron Ohio built Corsairs
Toledo Ohio Jeeps
Cleveland Ohio Tanks half tracks and armored cars.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:40:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They would have dwarfed every major invasion landing before or since.

The projections for casualties were so incredible, that the Purple Hearts ordered for these invasions, were still being issued out into US Armed Forces well into the late 90s

Korea, Vietnam, Gulf War I, Somalia, ect...
View Quote
Interesting fact- and a pretty frightening one at that
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:56:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Local history
Living in northern Ohio, my maternal grandfather (1916-2005) worked 16 hours a day 6 days a week at Plum Brook Ordnance Works in Sandusky Ohio. He ran the third nitrater making TNT. I wonder how many of the bastards his tnt blew up during the war. My Paternal grandfather (1906-1981) worked as a firefighter at Marathon Oil.

Toledo Ohio Jeeps
View Quote
Local history is often intriguing
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:49:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The complete collapse of the Colonial System the world ran on and how the USA backed it. The politics leading up to, during, and after the war are fascinating.
View Quote
The communist destruction of the European empires is the dumbest thing America ever did.

But let’s be honest, this was a communist plot by FDR and his fellow travelers.

American boys have been dying since Korea trying to pick up the pieces.

The American form of government was never designed to be world policeman.  It was set up for America to be the opposite.

How can you try police the world with an executive branch with hardly any power.

The destruction of the European Empires has allowed Gollum nations to grow in the power vacuums.

Pax Americana will be the end of Western Civilization.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:04:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Pacific Naval theater. There really isn't anything else like it in the history of warfare.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:05:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We’d still be speaking English.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jets, if Hitler had 12 more months we'd be speaking German.
We’d still be speaking English.
Indeed, just as they kept speaking Greek in Greece after it became a Roman province.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:10:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Air combat over Northern Europe.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:32:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

WWI, too.  It’s just so long ago we forget how many things appeared all of a sudden.

In some ways, though, the lack of impact of that technology interests me too.  There were lots of things under research, but with few exceptions people fought the war and won or lost based on where they started the war.  Many technological innovations during the war had little impact on the war (V1, V2, STG 44, ME 262), and some of the most important things were boring (Liberty ships, repair-ability of Sherman tanks, General Winter, US Logistical supremacy).  The US used more Springfield 1903s than Garands, the SVT-40 was interesting but eclipsed in use by Mosins, and the STG 44 mainly changed things after the war.  Nukes are an exception, but the war was won or lost based on things set in motion far before.

That and the “neutrals” or other minor players.  The involvement of the Finns, Poles, Swiss, Swedes, and others is interesting, as are the changing allegiances (or pseudo-alliances) during things.
View Quote
Pretty sure springfields were not widely used beyond the Marines early in the war.  Garands were everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I find the New Guinea campaign to be the most interesting. Mainly because of its obscurity compared to other campaigns of WWII. Also because it occurred in arguably the most primitive conditions of the war.
View Quote
My grandpa's brother fought in New Guinea.  He said that there was no possible way hell was worse than New Guinea.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:15:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The communist destruction of the European empires is the dumbest thing America ever did.

The American form of government was never designed to be world policeman.  It was set up for America to be the opposite.

How can you try police the world with an executive branch with hardly any power.

The destruction of the European Empires has allowed Gollum nations to grow in the power vacuums.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The complete collapse of the Colonial System the world ran on and how the USA backed it. The politics leading up to, during, and after the war are fascinating.

It's interesting how the US managed to repeat those same mistakes in Suez, and more recently the Panama Canal.

Even as the US was fighting Communists all over the World, it took their side elsewhere.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:52:54 PM EDT
[#11]
The Pacific Theater

The sheer brutality on land/air/sea, constant beach invasions, Japanese/US development of carrier-based air superiority ending the age of battleships, non-stop jungle warfare with disease, and the very real possibility of Japanese home islands invasions that would make the Eastern European theater look like civilized warfare.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The fact that history is written by the victors.
An example.  Rarely do we admit that the rest of Europe was going along with Hitler. It’s rarely mentioned that the poles wanted the Jews gone as much as the nazis did.
Rarely are we taught about how we left Japan with few options other than to go to war with us.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#13]
The advancement of small arms, night vision & tactics- was revolutionary.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#14]
To me, the most interesting thing about WWII is that at it's core, it was a race war and a resource war.

A lot of people miss the glaring fact that the Nazis, as exemplified by the SS, were fighting a war against people whom they viewed as oppositional races.  The Japanese were guilty of this, too.  And racism also became a motivator for allied troops as well.

And it was a resource war.  The German economy could not even provide sufficient socks to put on the feet of little German children.  The poverty of the global economy outside of the U.S. was shocking.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#15]
The incredible output of the American economy.

It was ramping up before we entered the war, but the amount of ships, airplanes, trucks, tanks, etc. built 1942-1945 is mind blowing to me.  And how fast designs changed. That was a LOT of engineering.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I thought I read tho the Italians had excellent, new ships they couldn't compete because they didn't have radar?
View Quote
Correct.   In night battles they were blind.  Three of the best Italian heavy cruisers were sunk in a night battle.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
To me, the most interesting thing about WWII is that at it's core, it was a race war and a resource war.

A lot of people miss the glaring fact that the Nazis, as exemplified by the SS, were fighting a war against people whom they viewed as oppositional races.  The Japanese were guilty of this, too.  And racism also became a motivator for allied troops as well.

And it was a resource war.  The German economy could not even provide sufficient socks to put on the feet of little German children.  The poverty of the global economy outside of the U.S. was shocking.
View Quote
Heck, the Germans were using synthetic fat and wax from the Fischer-Tropsch process to make margarine (a truly hideous idea), while the main goal was to synthesize aviation fuel.  Things were bad.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:13:43 PM EDT
[#18]
How Nazis became the boogie man for every sci-fi movie
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:17:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How it was allowed to happen to begin with.

Allowed, encouraged... whatever.
View Quote
@leatherface_y2k
This one hit me hard too when in Band of Brothers episode in Bastone, Christmas Eve you could hear the Germans singing 'Silent Night'.
How 2 great tribes of peoples with so much common ground were opposed vehemently in war is a head scratching mystery to be sure.
To happen in 2 world wars is astounding (Of same German heritage no less). Crazy what man can do to one another on this earth. Crazy what we are willing to follow on blind faith and obedience.
If the tables were turned I doubt Americans could / would not fall into same Hitler trap provided all circumstance which lead to rise of Hitler.
Hitlers "total war" strategy which decimated Germany end and post war.

Starting to scratch the surface studying Eastern Front warfare. Germans and Russians hated each other with a vengeance. Like to research and read how logistics were supplied to Russia.

I do love to read the stories of all WWII infantry/combat arms doggies who managed to survive against all odds and go on to live productive lives despite carrying that burden of war the rest of their lives.
The men are tribute to resiliency of the heart, mind and sou l[goes for all combat vets]. Books like "Roll Me Over" "Citizen Soldier" do come to mind.

Engineering genius that was John Garand.

So many other it take my lifetime+ to study it all and the ramifications.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Exactly.  And Patton’s desires or no, there was no stomach for that right after we won WWII.  It sucked, but I can’t see it turning out any other way.
View Quote
There would have been if Patton could have been allowed to expose the slaughter of Allied POWs by the Soviets.  He was on his way back to Washington to blow the whistle on this.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:52:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It's interesting how the US managed to repeat those same mistakes in Suez, and more recently the Panama Canal.

Even as the US was fighting Communists all over the World, it took their side elsewhere.
View Quote
What blows my mind is why at the height of the war in Vietnam the US was sending the Soviets more monetary aid than during WW2 under lend-lease.

National Suicide: Military Aid to the Soviet Union by Prof. Anthony Sutton

Just goes to show how compromised the US power structure is.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 3:56:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Einsatzgruppen
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I knew they had a dispersion problem, but they delayed the firing of the centre gun to alleviate it. Source?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ve always been fascinated by the naval war in the Mediterranean.  The Royal Navy (led by two of its best admirals, Cunningham and Somerville) against the sometimes feckless, sometimes dangerous Italian Regia Marina, backed by the German air force and small craft.  There were heavily fought reinforcement convoys to Malta, British raids on German and Italian convoys to Libya, battleship and cruiser engagements, underwater commando raids, and the longest ship-to-ship gunnery hit in history: HMS Warspite on the Giulio Cesare at 26,000 yards.  It’s also interesting how the Italians were hampered by stereotypical characteristics: munitions makers manufacture a top notch batch of shells for the testing of their new 15-inch guns to get the contract, then make them really cheaply for the main production run (except for when they knew a navy quality inspection was being done).  Resulted in their newest battleships, which had excellent fire control and extremely accurate guns, having some of the worst shooting in naval history, with some salvoes having a dispersion of a mile or so.
I knew they had a dispersion problem, but they delayed the firing of the centre gun to alleviate it. Source?
I’m away at university and don’t have access to any of my naval reference books, otherwise I’d give you the title!  I know their problem with the 6 and 8-inch guns on the cruisers is more well known, due to (as I understand it) the barrels being much too close together in their turrets/armoured barbettes and that interfering with the shells’ flight paths, which was partly remedied by the installation of delay coils.  What I have never seen explained though is why they mounted those guns so close together in the first place.  They didn’t do so on the Vittorio Venetos (nor on the triple 6-inch secondary turrets on those ships), so I can only assume they were trying to minimise how much space they occupied on the cruisers.  Seems silly, since every other country’s light and heavy cruisers did fine without mounting their guns so close together.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There would have been if Patton could have been allowed to expose the slaughter of Allied POWs by the Soviets.  He was on his way back to Washington to blow the whistle on this.
View Quote
Maybe.  Maybe not.  It’s hard to say from this remove, but all I’ve read indicates most people were done with war regardless, and I wouldn’t trust the newspapers of the time to report it clearly, or the government to allow the reporting under national security laws.  Heck, even getting into Korea was cloaked under a “police action” and the UN, and after just a couple years people wanted out, despite the clear, egregious commie aggression and our troops involvement from the get go.  I don’t see the stomach for it, barring a Soviet attack on the US mainland back then.  After a depression and world war, the American people wanted a break.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#25]
One of my Grandpaps was a B-29 pilot (never went overseas).   The other medicaled out of the Army so went to building bombers in Wichita.    He always figured that if the first revision of a bomber ever did a barrel roll it would rain down bucking bars.

:)
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

SNIP

View Quote
Europe was totally exhausted of all resources by the end of the war.

More than half of Europe was starving by the end of the war.

My grandfather and his group of friends in the POW camp were allowed to have a pet dog.  They had to kill the poor thing for something to eat, in order to survive, things were that bad.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 5:30:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

My grandfather and his group of friends in the POW camp were allowed to have a pet dog.  They had to kill the poor thing for something to eat, in order to survive, things were that bad.
View Quote
Yeah, in the US we tend to forget that Europe was in terrible straights right after the war.  The ‘50s in the US were boom times because we rebuilt much of Europe and were the only Western industrial power left unscathed, but in Europe people were starving and rationing was common.  Totally different experience.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 5:31:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You serious Clark?  We gave the Japanese no other option while they invaded everyone else within their sphere/range?
View Quote
Yes, it goes back to the US locking the Japanese out of its Chinese sphere of influence.

Recall the conspiracy theories about Roosevelt letting Pearl happen? To this day, the Japanese rightwing combines them with the US presidency using the McCollum memo as a war-creation plan.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#29]
The Pacific as my dad was in well before WW2 and after Korea fought in both wars.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#30]
The men that raised me from 1954 till 1972. Thanks Dad,  Buck, JT, Renfro and all the rest!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#31]
The re-fit of the Yorktown between the battles of the Coral Sea and Midway was a fucking miracle, and a story that needs to be told.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Might want to check those numbers.  
Battle of Brody
German tanks=750
Russian= 3,500

Battle of Kursk
In 2 phases of the battle
1st phase Operation Citadel
German tanks=2,928
Russian=5,128

Soviet counter offensive
German tanks=3,253
Russian=7,360

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Brody_

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kursk
View Quote
You might want to listen to the Glantz lecture. Those stats you quote out of Wikipedia are not accurate, at all.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There’s debate on whether we were trying to start a war or just contain the genocidal maniacs as best as possible.  The flip side of the coin is that the US needed to contain the Japanese - they were threatening us and our allies.  How do you respond short of war?

And that isn’t an act of war.  Wasn’t then, isn’t now.  Unless OAPEC declared war on us and others in ‘73.  Doesn’t look that way from here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's correct.  FDR put an oil embargo on the Japanese.  That's an act of war in the 20th century.  There were about 7 other things FDR did that were highly provocative to the Japanese.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCollum_memo
There’s debate on whether we were trying to start a war or just contain the genocidal maniacs as best as possible.  The flip side of the coin is that the US needed to contain the Japanese - they were threatening us and our allies.  How do you respond short of war?

And that isn’t an act of war.  Wasn’t then, isn’t now.  Unless OAPEC declared war on us and others in ‘73.  Doesn’t look that way from here.
Japan complains that they were "pressured" into the war; all they had to do to avoid the sanctions was quit doing things like the Rape of Nanking. Unit 731 was operating well before the Roosevelt administration started applying sanctions to them for atrocities, which were publicized here in the US by American missionaries to China.

Y'all can apologize for Japanese conduct all you like, but the final analysis shows that they were genocidal scum, doing things that not even the Belgians would have done in the Congo. Japanese plans for China included doing the sort of thing that the Nazis had wet dreams about doing in Eastern Europe. The attempt to excuse what they were doing by saying that the US started the war, for some unknown reason? Purest bullsh*t. If Japan hadn't been raping their way through China, exploiting Manchuria, and abusing Korea, nobody in the US would have had a word to say about what they were doing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Starting off the war with one level of technology and ending it with technology of a completely different world.

Jets, ICBMs (Or near it), nuclear weapons, proximity detonated fusing, radar guided/computer controlled AA guns, encryption, on and on and on.

There are so many layers and levels of technology that was produce that we are still finding stories on today, so far past the event blows my mind.

Also , don't forget - The British had a jet far superior to the ME262 in the same time frame. Had the German jet ever of been a real threat, the sky would be full of American produced meteors.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:05:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Last week I just finished reading Herb Sheaner's Prisoner's Odyssey.  Sheaner and other privates were captured at the Battle of the Bulge.  They were taken out of their stalag and made to dig ditches (widen drainage/irrigation ditches) for the Germans.   They got only one meal: a watered down soup and one slice of bread.   Holy f*ck.   We fed German prisoners here the same rations our Army was receiving if they were in camp.   Fresh bread, butter, milk, meat, vegetables.  The Germans were literally working and starving Sheaner and his buddies to death.  It's better to sit in a camp and not have to work than to work and conserve energy since one barely fed.

https://www.amazon.com/Prisoners-Odyssey-Herb-Sheaner/dp/1441546642?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-brave-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=1441546642
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Local history

Toledo Ohio Jeeps
View Quote
Dayton built grease guns!

Columbus built swords, knives and all sorts of steel.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You might want to listen to the Glantz lecture. Those stats you quote out of Wikipedia are not accurate, at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Might want to check those numbers.  
Battle of Brody
German tanks=750
Russian= 3,500

Battle of Kursk
In 2 phases of the battle
1st phase Operation Citadel
German tanks=2,928
Russian=5,128

Soviet counter offensive
German tanks=3,253
Russian=7,360

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Brody_

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kursk
Find some official numbers other than what some guy says in a lecture and I'll consider it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 6:56:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I do love to read the stories of all WWII infantry/combat arms doggies who managed to survive against all odds and go on to live productive lives despite carrying that burden of war the rest of their lives.
The men are tribute to resiliency of the heart, mind and sou l[goes for all combat vets]. Books like "Roll Me Over" "Citizen Soldier" do come to mind.
View Quote
That's what I find most fascinating - is the individual stories of those great men. So so many.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#39]
The Nazi obsession with the supernatural and the interesting weaponry they made.

Just to name a few
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Find some official numbers other than what some guy says in a lecture and I'll consider it.
View Quote
Jesus... "Some guy" in this case is the leading expert on the Eastern Front in WWII. What more do you want?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Jesus... "Some guy" in this case is the leading expert on the Eastern Front in WWII. What more do you want?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That don't make him right.  Some proof to support his claims is required, you can't rewrite history that was based on official German records without some concrete proof.

Let me add this.  
https://www.militarytimes.com/veterans/military-history/2018/07/05/the-largest-tank-battle-in-history-began-75-years-ago-today-heres-how-it-changed-wwii/
Puts the numbers on par with the other links

vs this from The National Interest which includes details of Glantz' lecture.
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/the-battle-brody-the-biggest-tank-battle-ever-its-been-19836

In the article it does say this:

Expanding the number to encompass all of Operation Citadel would include many more tanks. But they were not concentrated and committed in the same numbers as at the Battle of Brody, which hardly anyone has written about.
That's also according to Zamulin and David Glantz, a historian of the Eastern Front and Soviet military. "This, in fact, is the biggest tank battle in World War II," Glantz said regarding the Battle of Brody during a 2007 lecture available via the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center.
Nazi Germany invaded the Soviet Union on June 22, 1941. Beginning on June 23 between Dubno, Lutsk and Brody in far western Ukraine, six Soviet mechanized corps under Gen. Mikhail Kirponos launched a counter attack into the advancing 1st Panzer Group advancing toward Kiev.
The battle which developed and then concluded on June 30 was a confusing morass that swallowed 2,648 Soviet tanks out of a total force of 5,000 versus some 1,000 German tanks. It's unclear how many tanks of the 1st Panzer Group were destroyed in the battle, but the force did lose 100 of its tanks during the first two weeks of the war.

So even according to the Glantz article, there were more tanks at Kursk.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
That don't make him right.  Some proof to support his claims is required, you can't rewrite history that was based on official German records without some concrete proof.
View Quote
Dude Glantz and George Nipe both have examined the Soviet sources and said they are bullshit.

Furthermore, if you read Nipe's book "Blood, Steel and Myth", one of the leading state historians of the Soviet Union came out at veterans memorial meeting at Kursk and stated that all the Soviet records pertaining to the battle are complete fabrications.

The Soviets got so fucked up by the Germans they had to lie about everything to stop people going to the Gulag and stop the communists from looking so bad.

Soviet sources claim being "attacked by 500-600 Tigers and Panthers" and their destruction of "70 Tigers" in certain sectors, like around Prochorowka, you go back and check the records for the say the 3 Waffen SS division in that area, turns out they only had 14 Tigers total lost between 3 divisions.

I know it's a newsflash to call Geraldo with: "Communists lied".

The reality is that when the Waffen SS armor clashed with best Soviet tank divisions, the Waffen SS were killing them at the rate of about 15-1.

Remember anything that isn't palatable for communist consumption is purged from the history books.

Western historians have such an inaccurate view of events like the Battle of Kursk because up until very recently they based so much of their interpretation on the Soviet primary sources alone!  Added to that the very real leftist slant in academia, and even almost 80 years later it's still a truth many don't want to hear, because it is not compatible with their artificial world view.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Dude Glantz and George Nipe both have examined the Soviet sources and said they are bullshit.

Furthermore, if you read Nipe's book "Blood, Steel and Myth", one of the leading state historians of the Soviet Union came out at veterans memorial meeting at Kursk and stated that all the Soviet records pertaining to the battle are complete fabrications.

The Soviets got so fucked up by the Germans they had to lie about everything to stop people going to the Gulag and stop the communists from looking so bad.

Soviet sources claim being "attacked by 500-600 Tigers and Panthers" and their destruction of "70 Tigers" in certain sectors, like around Prochorowka, you go back and check the records for the say the 3 Waffen SS division in that area, turns out they only had 14 Tigers total lost between 3 divisions.

I know it's a newsflash to call Geraldo with: "Communists lied".

The reality is that when the Waffen SS armor clashed with best Soviet tank divisions, the Waffen SS were killing them at the rate of about 15-1.

Remember anything that isn't palatable for communist consumption is purged from the history books.

Western historians have such an inaccurate view of events like the Battle of Kursk because up until very recently they based so much of their interpretation on the Soviet primary sources alone!  Added to that the very real leftist slant in academia, and even almost 80 years later it's still a truth many don't want to hear, because it is not compatible with their artificial world view.  
View Quote
I updated my post above yours with links.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:15:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Last week I just finished reading Herb Sheaner's Prisoner's Odyssey.  Sheaner and other privates were captured at the Battle of the Bulge.  They were taken out of their stalag and made to dig ditches (widen drainage/irrigation ditches) for the Germans.   They got only one meal: a watered down soup and one slice of bread.   Holy f*ck.   We fed German prisoners here the same rations our Army was receiving if they were in camp.   Fresh bread, butter, milk, meat, vegetables.  The Germans were literally working and starving Sheaner and his buddies to death.  It's better to sit in a camp and not have to work than to work and conserve energy since one barely fed.

https://www.amazon.com/Prisoners-Odyssey-Herb-Sheaner/dp/1441546642?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-brave-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=1441546642
View Quote
So my grandfather didn't share too much with me about his experiences, but he did tell me towards the end they were slowly starving to death, but so were all the rest of the German population by this point in 1945.  He held no ill will towards the Germans, he always told me: "they were just doing their job and I was doing mine".

The POWs were given menial labor jobs to do.  I know they were working in the forest cutting trees and going around the town picking up trash from people's houses.  Being the sailors and soldiers that they were, apparently they soon had "ladies whose rubbish they would spend a while collecting", so my grandmother told me.  

I also remember him saying cigarettes were way better than actual money.

The end of the war till about a year or 2 later was absolute anarchy across Europe.  We still don't know how many people starved to death in the Winter of 1945.

Hundreds of thousands of German POWs died that winter in Allied captivity.

Then there's the really nasty secret, how many British, Canadian and American POWs were murdered by the Soviets, we still don't know.  General Patton had an idea though.

My grandfather said the 3 scariest things in the war were:

1.  Being attacked by Stukas
2.  The RAF bombing raids
3.  Being "liberated" by the Russians.

There's some really interesting books on the subject:

https://www.amazon.com/Other-Losses-Investigation-Prisoners-Americans/dp/0889226652

https://www.amazon.com/Victims-Yalta-Secret-Betrayal-1944-1947/dp/1605983624/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=victims+of+yalta&qid=1566864076&s=books&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.com/minister-massacres-Nikolai-Tolstoy/dp/0091640105/ref=pd_sbs_14_5/134-7002132-3449322?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0091640105&pd_rd_r=b4d0d7e2-e711-41fc-9cc9-407be4d6c782&pd_rd_w=y7w7q&pd_rd_wg=nurg4&pf_rd_p=1c11b7ff-9ffb-4ba6-8036-be1b0afa79bb&pf_rd_r=KRKKKBXNGHHJ4FZQF05M&psc=1&refRID=KRKKKBXNGHHJ4FZQF05M

https://www.amazon.com/Last-Secret-Nicholas-Bethell/dp/0465038131/ref=pd_sbs_14_1/134-7002132-3449322?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0465038131&pd_rd_r=b4d0d7e2-e711-41fc-9cc9-407be4d6c782&pd_rd_w=y7w7q&pd_rd_wg=nurg4&pf_rd_p=1c11b7ff-9ffb-4ba6-8036-be1b0afa79bb&pf_rd_r=KRKKKBXNGHHJ4FZQF05M&psc=1&refRID=KRKKKBXNGHHJ4FZQF05M

https://www.amazon.com/After-Reich-Brutal-History-Occupation/dp/0465003389/ref=pd_lutyp_im_2_3/134-7002132-3449322?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0465003389&pd_rd_r=6ea9ced9-bdde-4cc6-9d9d-b506fda69da1&pd_rd_w=ta7wY&pd_rd_wg=qpKdu&psc=1&refRID=7XCJRX6GSZKBDAK1W6VY
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The Nazi obsession with the supernatural and the interesting weaponry they made.

Just to name a few
View Quote
This is probably one of the most fascinating subjects of WW2.  Although it is an area of research where most people are really afraid to go.

There are some REALLY disturbing primary source documents that support the fact the Germans were working on some things that even today are still classified.

In March of 1945 Von Braun was working on the A-10 rocket with a 6,000 km range.

Interestingly he had also designed a space shuttle in the 1930s.

They had also born the idea of satellites and their weaponization.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 8:59:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I updated my post above yours with links.
View Quote
Still...be damn careful about any Soviet or Russian state sources.  The number of things they lie about even after they’ve “come clean” is phenomenal.  Solid sources can be hard to come by, and sometimes scholarly guesswork is the best we’re going to get.  When Mao wanted high grain production numbers during the Great Leap Forward, he got high production numbers.  To the point the military started confiscating grain from the peasants and killing them for not having more.  The numbers were crap, but if you said so, you got on the “self criticism” cross country beating train.  So we don’t know real production, we don’t know the number of dead, we can just conjecture. Such it is with Commie numbers, even in “confidential” reports of “reality”, who knows if they were being truthful or not.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:05:57 PM EDT
[#47]
That somebody didn’t off Hitler once the Allies has a clear advantage.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Once again GD is afraid of tackling the real issues Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
My uncle was captured during the bulge and had similar stories - "Turnup soup" which was rotten turnups, scooped into a culdron with mostly water, usually bits of dirt and grass. Once in a while the other country POWs would get red cross packages with food......except Americans. Canadians, Brits, even Russians, yet Americans would not get them and no one would share....except Serbs. Still to this day he has nothing but wonderful things to say about Serbs.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#50]
It's funny the agency sucks at a lot of things, but disinformation isn't one of them.  The whole UFO topic has to be one of the most successful disinformation ops ever.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top