Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 9:51:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Affirmative.  IIRC, DSA used to sell barrels and rifles in the caliber, before they started sucking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that a FAL in .358 Win?

Affirmative.  IIRC, DSA used to sell barrels and rifles in the caliber, before they started sucking.

That is pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 10:41:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Something in 30-06
View Quote

30-06 comes to my mind first. I'm sure there's something better but I don't know what's available. I hold pretty high respect for 30-06.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 10:42:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
308 loaded with 220 grain round nose.  You can get those up to about 2400 feet per second and change in a 308. That should be plenty to drill a good sized hole through several feet of bear, and light enough recoil you could stay on target somewhat reasonably while mag dumping.   458 SOCOM with them Barnes TTSX would do the same deal.
View Quote

.308 or something close (maybe as low as 7mm) with a long, heavy RN solid in the 2200-2500 fps range is probably the lightest I'd be willing to go for this purpose, but I'd feel better with a medium, even if on the lower end (like a .33).
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 10:48:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Browning BAR in .338 WM.
View Quote

Yup. But I’d rather have a bolt gun.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 11:28:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Go get an old Remingon Model 8/81 in 35 Remington

https://i.imgur.com/kHzzV9El.jpg
View Quote

God I love this picture.
I need a poster, it's a classic.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 11:31:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Awesome,  story? Location? Weather? shots?
@SWOH
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 11:34:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A Shuff’s 16.1” Mini-G in .35 Whelen.

Tim builds them with Criterion M1-profile barrels in .35W, and they can run either the 5-rd “hunting” clips or the 8-rd GI clips.

Several of his Alaskan clients use them as bear defense carbines or when hunting them and moose in thick timber or brushy areas. He’s what one of his  Anchorage-based clients said:

Link here to the above:  https://www.gulfcoastgunforum.com/threads/shuffs-parkerizing-mini-g-in-35-whelen.25256/
View Quote

And this is Fn way cool

I need dies and not another caliber..

Link Posted: 7/30/2022 11:35:21 PM EDT
[#8]
4 bore

duh
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 1:08:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'd have to have a lot of rounds through one to trust it.  They're known to be finicky.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Browning BAR in .338 WM.

Thread/

I'd have to have a lot of rounds through one to trust it.  They're known to be finicky.

Are they? We had great luck with them but like most hunting guns sold l doubt many were shot much. One of the coolest I shot was a chopped down 338 with a brake and express sights. Thing was a dream to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 1:55:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Awesome,  story? Location? Weather? shots?
@SWOH
View Quote

Pretty sure it's Jake Denherder (jaykden on FALFiles) somewhere around where he lives in Sitka, Alaska and he shot him 4X if that was him, which I am almost certain it is.  I read his original thread about ten years back, so it's possible another guy did the same thing as these were available.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 1:59:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Garand 30.06
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 4:52:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For bear defense, unless the bear is attacking someone else, anything over 100yds and you're going to have some explaining to do. 50yds to 100yds depend on who's writing the report.
View Quote

Who called?
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 4:57:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There was a news story about a guy hiking in Alaska about 8-9 years ago I think that put down a charging bear with a 5.45x39 AK74.

5.56 should be fine if you get enough rounds on target. I think he fired somewhere around 10-12 rounds IIRC.

Now I'm not saying its ideal, but it would probably work.
View Quote

Every Inuit I have seen has a mini14
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 6:11:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
12 gauge with slugs Alaska Sate Troopers style.
View Quote

That's what I had while chasing a black bear off my second story patio last weekend.

When the spot lights came on the bear didn't care. I wasn't until I started tapping on the windows 2 feet from him before he noticed me and the shotgun on the other side of the window.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would expect that is about price and hunting purpose. As a non-Inuit I would have less time in the field, and so less opportunity to bump into a brown. However since I have zero skill around browns, I really would be a lot more likely to do something the Inuit would consider really stupid, and end up in a situation where I need to stop the bear right freakin now. 2 shots I figure, maybe only 1. The bullet better have enough ass to do the job, enough ass to make up for a shot that is close to perfect but not really perfect.

In this region a lot of people use .243 for whitetail. It is perfectly adequate for whitetail. But over time it is seen that a lot more deer have to be tracked when hit with a .243 whereas if the shot would have been made with something bigger the deer most probably would not have still been able to run. That's why I don't use a .243. I wouldn't want to use a .223 to defend myself against an angry brown. They have a really bad attitude compared to deer.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's what I had while chasing a black bear off my second story patio last weekend.

When the spot lights came on the bear didn't care. I wasn't until I started tapping on the windows 2 feet from him before he noticed me and the shotgun on the other side of the window.
View Quote

We get that kind of thing around here. The neighbor has nose prints on his patio glass doors. I have a box of rubber buckshot in case they really need to be persuaded to leave. Black bears are like raccoons or possums.(mostly)
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

They were popular with the Natives in SE too. In fact they were popular all over Alaska. Tons of commercial fisherman carried them. Tons of the rural areas around here have tons of them and I always wondered if it was the prison connection.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
12 ga with slugs
View Quote

Doesn't quite meet the 'longer range' spec.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 12:22:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Factory? Garand in .30-06 with 220 RN. Feeling old school? Remington 81 in .35 Rem 250gr.

Light custom? Garand in .35 Whelen or 9.3x62.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Garand 30.06
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Garand 30.06

Quoted:
Factory? Garand in .30-06 with 220 RN. Feeling old school? Remington 81 in .35 Rem 250gr.
Light custom? Garand in .35 Whelen or 9.3x62.

Yes M1 Garand, but with a Schuster adj. gas plug so you can tune it for Remington’s factory 220grn Corelokt ammo (@ 2405fps). …. But that’s what’s behind Door #2.

Opting for Door #1, the thinking bear-paranoid ships his ‘06 M1 off to Tim @ Shuff’s Parkering where Tim installs a Criterion barrel in .35 Whelen and then lovingly tunes the rifle to run the 200grn, 250grn, and 275grn big fat .35-cal Whelen factory slugs (or equivalent handloads), … x8.

DBRT.* * *
* * * DBRT = Dead Bear Right There.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#21]
The missing info is whether you are going to carry this rifle around all day or is it going to be propped in a corner? A twelve to fifteen pound rifle really stucks after treking a couple of hours unless you are a young randy ranger. My understanding is that a lot of Alaskan hunting guides carry a 338 WM bolt action.

Somebody fired 12 rounds to stop a charging bear? Must have been an arthritic bear.

A 308 semi-auto AR10 type or a Browning BAR in 300WM or 338WM will do nicely. Short range then a lever action running hot 45-70 stuff will be light and powerful although the recoil will hurt.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#22]
50 BMG.  Bear Motherfucking Gun..
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 1:19:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

.308 or something close (maybe as low as 7mm) with a long, heavy RN solid in the 2200-2500 fps range is probably the lightest I'd be willing to go for this purpose, but I'd feel better with a medium, even if on the lower end (like a .33).
View Quote

So AR10 in 338 Federal or 358 Winchester for you, then, lol.  Though, both will only get you to 250 vs 220 grain bullets, so like 12% more weight, which the larger diameter would probably cause penetration to be the same or less than the 220 308. So I think any of the 3 is about a wash in terms of how well it would work.  

YMMV
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They were popular with the Natives in SE too. In fact they were popular all over Alaska. Tons of commercial fisherman carried them. Tons of the rural areas around here have tons of them and I always wondered if it was the prison connection.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No,it was not a prison connection.

The mini-14 took off because it was handy when hunting seals and walrus.
The ability of fast follow up shots was big.

Heads are small targets when your in a boat that is bobbing in the ocean.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard the Mini is popular also because it doesn't freeze up in Arctic temperatures.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 1:53:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I've heard the Mini is popular also because it doesn't freeze up in Arctic temperatures.
View Quote
It can if you do not prep it and take care.

Any rifle will freeze up if you do not prep it for the cold.

My mini-14 never froze up because I cleaned all the grease and oil from it.
Then I used a very light weight oil ment for cold.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The missing info is whether you are going to carry this rifle around all day or is it going to be propped in a corner? A twelve to fifteen pound rifle really stucks after treking a couple of hours unless you are a young randy ranger. My understanding is that a lot of Alaskan hunting guides carry a 338 WM bolt action.

Somebody fired 12 rounds to stop a charging bear? Must have been an arthritic bear.

A 308 semi-auto AR10 type or a Browning BAR in 300WM or 338WM will do nicely. Short range then a lever action running hot 45-70 stuff will be light and powerful although the recoil will hurt.
View Quote

Carry around rifle.
I used to hunt deer with my 16lb bench gun. I missed a really big deer once because he popped up really close and I ended up flailing around trying to get out of my chair with the big rifle sitting on top of me.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Browning BAR in .338 WM.
View Quote

This is what you want.  Use a Federal Premium 338 Winchester Magnum 250 Grain Nosler Partition Ammunition.  I will handle the job no problem.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#30]
8mm with Swift 220 grain A frame.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#31]
1919?
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm talking about down here. Huge number of prisons around here.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#33]

What was involved with that?

View All Quotes

Quoted:
I built my SBS Tac13 to run the Brenneke black magic.  That being said, I'd like to build a Garand in .338-06, but it wouldn't be the most fun thing to carry around hunting.  Maybe a short one?

What was involved with that?

I really didn't explain that well.  I wanted a short gun to run the Brennekes.  So I bought a Tac13, made sure it cycled them and a bunch of other loads, then I Form 1d it, and sent the barrel out to be threaded for chokes.  After the stamp came back, I put V3 furniture on it, and that was really it.  It was more collecting parts and paper to make it want I wanted to carry if I can draw a tag in a grizzly area.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This is what you want.  Use a Federal Premium 338 Winchester Magnum 250 Grain Nosler Partition Ammunition.  I will handle the job no problem.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42994/338_Bar_jpg-2471799.JPG
View Quote

It would carry nicely, too.

I've got a browning 7mm lever action. It is really a beautiful gun. Way too beautiful for what I would put it through. At one time I had planned to have it converted to either .375 ruger or .416 ruger. A lever gun is quick to reload, yet not finicky about running heavy loads or light loads.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:02:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
35 Whelen is also a step up from the plain 30-06

Lots of easy conversion for the Rem 742/7400 used to exist.
View Quote

I have two 35 Whelen rifles. They are among my favorites.  Excellent 300yd cartridge.

My Chassis 700 35 Whelen with a VX5. (5 +1)  It’s my “Hunt North America” rifle.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Sounds like you need something light weight.
Why not just get a Scar 17?
It would do the job.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Sauer 303 9.3X62 mm.  It is kind of expensive and the ammo is expensive but it should be accurate and reliable.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:27:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sounds like you need something light weight.
Why not just get a Scar 17?
It would do the job.

View Quote

I don't *need* anything.
But this thread is convincing me that I do.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#39]
I've seen a BAR(hunting rifle, obviously) in .300 Winmag. That would be a good place to start. Light weight for what it is, still reasonably manageable.

If you have a lot of money to spend, something like $5000 to Nemo Arms will get you an Omen in .458 Winmag.

Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Browning BAR in .338 WM.
View Quote

This.  The obvious readily available choice.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#41]
A rugged semi auto 12 Ga is probably the most practical option for most people.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Agree. Imo
You want something that's going to punch through bone if need be and drive deep make it feel like it was just hit by a big truck. Break a shoulder from 5 feet away and turn it. something with around 4000 lbs or more muzzle energy like a 338 or 300 ultra 4000 lbs  not 2500 lbs .
I looked up 505 Gibbs 6000 lbs
I bet thar kicks btw

If you have ever been close to a 700 or 800 lb brown bear . You wouldn't want a 5.56 or 308 if you had an opportunity to choose beforehand.
Slip one in its heart and lungs it would die eventually. Might find it and it would make a great story looking for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would want bigger than 308 against a big brownie...especially in a spitting distance alder patch..A good friend who spent most of his adult life guiding kodiak brown bear hunts on Kodiak Island has tried a pile of cartridges for a one shot point blank stop a big bear in its tracks..his choice......505 Gibbs...

Agree. Imo
You want something that's going to punch through bone if need be and drive deep make it feel like it was just hit by a big truck. Break a shoulder from 5 feet away and turn it. something with around 4000 lbs or more muzzle energy like a 338 or 300 ultra 4000 lbs  not 2500 lbs .
I looked up 505 Gibbs 6000 lbs
I bet thar kicks btw

If you have ever been close to a 700 or 800 lb brown bear . You wouldn't want a 5.56 or 308 if you had an opportunity to choose beforehand.
Slip one in its heart and lungs it would die eventually. Might find it and it would make a great story looking for it.

I've bewn close to stuffed ones...that's enough for me to know I want a big entry wound that has plenty of penetration.

ETA-Just because Bella Twin did it with a .22 Long doesn't mean I want to repeate the achievement.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Noreen 16" Carbine X semi-auto .300 win mag (7lbs)

Link
View Quote

That magwell is hot
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This.  The obvious readily available choice.
View Quote

It's hard to argue with this.  The .338 will really reach out if you want or need it to.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm not going bear hunting, I'm just messing around.

But here is parameter of my question.

Start with the calibers that are perfectly fine for brown bears.
But available in a semi-auto rifle.
And of the available semi-auto calibers which one could also be pressed into service for longer shots on lighter game. Same caliber, longer range bullet, as accurate as possible.
If there is a 375 H&H in semi auto then that is probably the one, but I strongly doubt there is one available.
And the rifle should be reasonably reliable for obvious reasons.

I don't even know if such a rifle is available.

Extra points for detachable box magazine.
View Quote

I know at least one FN-FAL type has been built in 358 Winchester.... with pics to prove that it works on Alaska bears.

Link Posted: 7/31/2022 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#46]

.458 Garand.
Because fuck you, fuck your friends, fuck your cover and fuck my shoulder!

(Stolen from an FTC thread a few years back)
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#47]
8" .300 Win Mag NEMO OMEN.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2022 8:08:14 PM EDT
[#48]
For me ir would likely be an 870 Remington with slugs.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Check this guys channel.  

Rifles & Shotguns vs Charging Bear Target

This is a rifle/shotgun video on shooting a bear. He also has one with handguns.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#50]
BAR
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top