Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/12/2020 11:28:21 PM EDT
If/when things get back to normal, there really ought to be a better telling of this story

Task Force Faith

from the Chosin Reservoir battle in Korea.

Or is there a better US military story not yet told? Educate me.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:30:40 PM EDT
[#1]
They need to do a series about Taffy 3.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:32:51 PM EDT
[#2]
They should call it "Phantom Fury"
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:34:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Stalingrad....with Russian & German subtitles.

eta:  Christoph Waltz can play Paulus.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:35:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Band of Neighbors
A hardy group of neighbors sitting around during the Corona virus obeying the edicts of an all knowing government

It's the only message they'll allow to be disseminated to the public
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:37:41 PM EDT
[#5]
How about the black guys who loaded ammunition into ships and got blown up?
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:37:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I would say the next one should feature Daddy Boog.

Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:37:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Masters of the Air.

Or did you mean the one after that?  
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:38:10 PM EDT
[#8]
PT boats
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:39:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Sleepy Joe and his battles with the ever fearsome Cornpop.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:39:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Or the Last Stand of Fox Company

Need some love for the Korean War
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:40:45 PM EDT
[#11]
They should make one about the black airborne guy that found a secret nazi lab.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:41:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNlFeEcNlPs

Damn
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:42:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Or the Last Stand of Fox Company

Need some love for the Korean War
View Quote
Yep, finished that book last week.

Holy shit..
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:42:52 PM EDT
[#14]
The War Below about the submarine service was a great book that would make a good series.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:44:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If/when things get back to normal, there really ought to be a better telling of this story

Task Force Faith

from the Chosin Reservoir battle in Korea.

Or is there a better US military story not yet told? Educate me.
View Quote

When I saw the title of the thread Korea was the first thing to come to mind.  Reading Marine! (Chesty Puller) and About Face (Col. David Hackworth) were very enlightening to this conflict.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:45:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:45:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the way
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:46:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I want to say WW1 since we really don't discuss it but pretty much everyone dies en mass.  So I'd say Korea War since that's the other modern war Americans don't discuss much.

I would really like to see a German & then Russian version done about the Eastern Front.  Yes, they've done some of these already but I'd like to see better versions since that war was crazy.

I think BoB was the best miniseries done.  Perfect adaption from a great writer with an amazing cast of characters.  Pacific was such a letdown.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:49:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This is the way
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the way

For what it's worth, The War Below has a couple chapters on the Battle of Leyte Gulf, so we could have a "get both" moment using that book.  

I don't know how you would turn a very finite event like the Battle off Samar into a miniseries.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:50:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Red Storm Rising
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:50:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would be an amazing movie but could this be stretched out into a 10 part 45 minute series?

Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:51:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I would love to see something done involving MACV-SOG.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:52:41 PM EDT
[#23]
MACV-SOG Spike Teams/RTs 1965-1970
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:53:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I would love to see something done involving MACV-SOG.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/13/2020 12:15:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That would be an amazing movie but could this be stretched out into a 10 part 45 minute series?

View Quote

There's enough going on during that engagement that it could be easily a 5 or 8 hour mini series
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:02:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Pusan south Korea
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:08:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Gates of Fire

It would take at least 10hrs to tell it as Pressfield wrote it, but would be epic.

His book The Profession would make for an amazing series as well.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Band of NeighborsHookers
A hardy group of neighbors hookers sitting around during the Corona virus obeying the edicts craving the dicks of an all knowing government arfcom

It's the only message they'll allow to be disseminated to the public
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This is the way
View Quote

hell a full blown trilogy on the battel of the philippune  sea could be awesome
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#31]
The KP detail peeling taters.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#32]
French, Czech, Norwegian resistance during ww2

Finland

Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:37:54 AM EDT
[#33]
The Eighth Air Force USAAF in the ETO.

Crews flew had to fly 25 missions before being sent back Stateside.

Most crews never made it past 5 missions.

10,631 Missions, 4,145 AC lost.

47,000 casualties, 26,000 KIA.

Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Adeptus Astartes.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The Eighth Air Force USAAF in the ETO.

Crews flew had to fly 25 missions before being sent back Stateside.

Most crews never made it past 5 missions.

10,631 Missions, 4,145 AC lost.

47,000 casualties, 26,000 KIA.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/62/Boeing_B-17F_Flying_Fortresses_in_flight_with_contrails.jpg
View Quote

I thought this IS what the next one is to be about? The Mighty Eighth?
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:57:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Masters of the Air is what you seek. It's based on Donald Miller's book;

There were some issues that made HBO decline to participate (money is a guess), so Spielberg made a deal with Apple to move it all over to their TV streaming service. No news on release date yet, so it will be a way off I think...

Reports of a third World War II based miniseries in the same vein as Band of Brothers and The Pacific developed by Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg began in October 2012, with the focus on a team of aerial bombers called The Mighty Eighth.[1] In January 2013, HBO confirmed it was developing the miniseries, based on Donald L. Miller's book Masters of the Air: America's Bomber Boys Who Fought the Air War Against Nazi Germany.[2]

In October 2019, it was reported that Apple had made a deal with Spielberg's and Hanks's respective production companies to stream the series exclusively on Apple TV+ instead of HBO.[3] HBO confirmed that it decided not to move forward with the series in a statement.[4] Deadline reported the series contains eight episodes at a production cost of over $200 million, while The Hollywood Reporter said it contains nine episodes at a production cost of $250 million.[5] The website Footsteps Research reported the series would focus on the 100th Bombardment Group of the Eighth Air Force.[6]

A bit more info HERE, about the story arcs and characters, although no idea how accurate.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#37]
I want to see a realistic portrayal of something NOT 20th century.

Show me a historically accurate Napoleonic campaign.
Show me Trafalgar.
Show me Agincourt.
Show me Greece or Babylonia or Assyria or Israel or Egypt.

Famous heroes are cool and all, but it seems we’ve lost the ability to make stories about anything other than the dozen Big Names in history. Band of Brothers (book AND movie) was awesome because they were a bunch of nobodies- no history book would’ve cared about their story. There’s no Eisenhower, there’s no Patton, just war from the perspective of the guys who had to live through it.

Zoom all the way down on the random soldier and tell the story from their perspective.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:05:36 AM EDT
[#38]
FPNI.

Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Good choice by OP,before I even opened this thought The Last Stand of Fox Company needs told in a way that does it justice.

Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#40]
the story of joseph Beyrle

Joseph R. Beyrle (Russian: ?????? ???????, tr. Dzhozef Bayyerli; August 25, 1923 – December 12, 2004) is thought to be the only American soldier to have served with both the United States Army and the Soviet Red Army in World War II. He took part in Mission Albany, the airborne landings of the 101st Airborne Division on June 5–6, 1944, as a member of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment. He was captured by the Germans and sent east as a prisoner of war.

After several unsuccessful attempts, Beyrle escaped from the German Stalag III-C in January 1945 and joined a Soviet tank battalion under the command of Aleksandra Samusenko.[citation needed] Wounded, he was evacuated and eventually made his way to the United States in April 1945. Beyrle died in 2004 and was buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

Beyrle was taken to the Stalag III-C POW camp in Alt Drewitz, from which he escaped in early January 1945. He headed east, hoping to meet up with the Soviet army. Encountering a Soviet tank brigade in the middle of January, he raised his hands, holding a pack of Lucky Strike cigarettes, and shouted in Russian, 'Amerikansky tovarishch! ("American comrade!"). Beyrle was eventually able to persuade the battalion's commander (Aleksandra Samusenko,[citation needed] allegedly the only female tank officer of that rank in the war) to allow him to fight alongside the unit on its way to Berlin, thus beginning his month-long stint in a Soviet tank battalion, where his demolitions expertise was appreciated.
Soviet Army

Beyrle's new battalion was the one that freed his former camp, Stalag III-C, at the end of January, but in the first week of February, he was wounded during an attack by German dive bombers. He was evacuated to a Soviet hospital in Landsberg an der Warthe (now Gorzów Wielkopolski in Poland), where he received a visit from Soviet Marshal Georgy Zhukov, who, intrigued by the only non-Soviet in the hospital, learned his story through an interpreter, and provided Beyrle with official papers in order to rejoin American forces.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Philippines invasion.

you could work in the Brave Stand of Taffy 3, along with:

The Battle of Manila (Japanese mass murder atrocity),

the Great Raid to free American POWs,

The First Massed Japanese Kamikaze attacks,

The Battle Ship Duel

The sinking of the Superbattleship Musashi

There is a lot of material that would make a good series.

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:22:06 AM EDT
[#42]
MACV/SOG series, Battle of Hue city, Battle of Falluja or follow the USS Enterprise during WW2.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Battle of Kursk and its leadup.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#44]
My first car mechanic was in that battle, he says his knees still act up when it's cold.
Later a customer told me he was a new Lt. at that time and after it was over, he had his parents sell his hunting guns before he cycled back home.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:34:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I want to say WW1 since we really don't discuss it but pretty much everyone dies en mass.  So I'd say Korea War since that's the other modern war Americans don't discuss much.

I would really like to see a German & then Russian version done about the Eastern Front.  Yes, they've done some of these already but I'd like to see better versions since that war was crazy.

I think BoB was the best miniseries done.  Perfect adaption from a great writer with an amazing cast of characters.  Pacific was such a letdown.
View Quote

I don't think an adequate representation of WWI artillery has even been done.   I don't think anyone has the budget, the time, or the insurance to do it properly (real pryo rather than CGI).  
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:36:58 AM EDT
[#46]
I wouldn't mind seeing a series based on "The Chosen Few" or all the events that took place in the area of FOB Blessing.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Red Storm Rising
View Quote

Although it'd be a LOT of CGI given the era
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:47:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
MACV-SOG Spike Teams/RTs 1965-1970
View Quote

Indeed
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Capt. William Barber and Fox company
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
the story of joseph Beyrle

Joseph R. Beyrle (Russian: ?????? ???????, tr. Dzhozef Bayyerli; August 25, 1923 – December 12, 2004) is thought to be the only American soldier to have served with both the United States Army and the Soviet Red Army in World War II. He took part in Mission Albany, the airborne landings of the 101st Airborne Division on June 5–6, 1944, as a member of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment. He was captured by the Germans and sent east as a prisoner of war.

After several unsuccessful attempts, Beyrle escaped from the German Stalag III-C in January 1945 and joined a Soviet tank battalion under the command of Aleksandra Samusenko.[citation needed] Wounded, he was evacuated and eventually made his way to the United States in April 1945. Beyrle died in 2004 and was buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

Beyrle was taken to the Stalag III-C POW camp in Alt Drewitz, from which he escaped in early January 1945. He headed east, hoping to meet up with the Soviet army. Encountering a Soviet tank brigade in the middle of January, he raised his hands, holding a pack of Lucky Strike cigarettes, and shouted in Russian, 'Amerikansky tovarishch! ("American comrade!"). Beyrle was eventually able to persuade the battalion's commander (Aleksandra Samusenko,[citation needed] allegedly the only female tank officer of that rank in the war) to allow him to fight alongside the unit on its way to Berlin, thus beginning his month-long stint in a Soviet tank battalion, where his demolitions expertise was appreciated.
Soviet Army

Beyrle's new battalion was the one that freed his former camp, Stalag III-C, at the end of January, but in the first week of February, he was wounded during an attack by German dive bombers. He was evacuated to a Soviet hospital in Landsberg an der Warthe (now Gorzów Wielkopolski in Poland), where he received a visit from Soviet Marshal Georgy Zhukov, who, intrigued by the only non-Soviet in the hospital, learned his story through an interpreter, and provided Beyrle with official papers in order to rejoin American forces.
View Quote

Just finished that book a few weeks ago. That wouldn’t be a bad one although I would imagine most non-history military people would see it as too similar to Unbroken
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top