Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Masters of the Air started production in England last month but is on hold during COVID-19.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:55:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I thought this IS what the next one is to be about? The Mighty Eighth?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Eighth Air Force USAAF in the ETO.

Crews flew had to fly 25 missions before being sent back Stateside.

Most crews never made it past 5 missions.

10,631 Missions, 4,145 AC lost.

47,000 casualties, 26,000 KIA.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/62/Boeing_B-17F_Flying_Fortresses_in_flight_with_contrails.jpg

I thought this IS what the next one is to be about? The Mighty Eighth?

I believe that this is the next one that they're doing.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I would love to see a well made BOB style, 10 episode series of Horse Soldiers.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#4]
USS Enterprise, WWII

Vietnam LRRP Team. Gary Linderer's books, although I've read that he took liberties with some of it???

Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:59:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Taffy 3
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 12:04:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Stalingrad....with Russian & German subtitles.

eta:  Christoph Waltz can play Paulus.
View Quote

Agreed on the subtitles. Something from the eastern front and Hitler's total F up of pushing into Russia. It would be interesting to see the story told from the Russian perspective. What a shitty time time to be a 19 year old male.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Remake of "Go for Broke!", about Japanese-American 442nd Infantry Regiment. Most decorated unit in American history per capita,  all while their families were in internment camps. With essentially no replacement/rotation, there was "no going back".

442nd RCT

The movie made in 1951 has some of the original combat veterans as actors. The movie is therefore, pretty hard to watch, so prime opportunity for a remake/revisioning.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 12:11:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They should make one about the black airborne guy that found a secret nazi lab.
View Quote

There's already a documentary about that. I recently watched it. Very informative and the bro saves humanity.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Pusan south Korea
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/13/2020 12:18:44 PM EDT
[#10]
COVID-19, the series.

Follow a group of 23 hardcore modern freedom loving Americans, as they hide in their house, hover over their supplies of butt wipes and frozen Steam-Ums, dutifully adhering to the police state orders. Watch as they report their fellow Americans for wakeboarding, having a cookout, or riding a bike in a park.

Feel the white hot action of Netflix binges, exploding tempers as they're forced to deal with their wives and families as never before, and marvel at the slow sucking sound of the economy crashing.

Coming to HBO, Fall 2020.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 12:25:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I would love to see a Das Boat gritty feeling series showing the reality of a German panzer division in combat as the war progressed

Link Posted: 4/13/2020 12:28:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Mexican Punitive Expedition- include the Mexican revolution shenanigans, Villas cross border raids, National Guard build up on the border, the actual expedition- including Pershing, Dodd, Patton, Buffalo soldiers, etc.

Or, the Boxer Rebellion including the siege of the Legations, the rescue expeditions and Smedley Butler.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 12:30:10 PM EDT
[#13]
A good SOG Vietnam series based on the books from John Striker Myer (Across the Fence / On the Ground) would be awesome.  His episodes on the Jocko Podcast were unbelievable.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Or the Last Stand of Fox Company

Need some love for the Korean War
View Quote

Fabulous book, it's a must read!
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 12:32:52 PM EDT
[#15]
How about the push to take and keep Kandor.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#16]
mac-v
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I’d like to see something on the 1898-1916 Philippine conflict. Moro vs. U.S.
Banana wars too.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 12:44:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Korean war would be good
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Mexican Punitive Expedition- include the Mexican revolution shenanigans, Villas cross border raids, National Guard build up on the border, the actual expedition- including Pershing, Dodd, Patton, Buffalo soldiers, etc.

Or, the Boxer Rebellion including the siege of the Legations, the rescue expeditions and Smedley Butler.
View Quote

been done and a big blockbuster at the time 55 days in peking
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd love to see a BoB type series thoroughly chronicling allied submarine warfare during WW2. Lots of "dive, dive, dive", "rig for silent running", and best of all... "RAMMING SPEED!!"

Either that or more tank warfare.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I want to say WW1 since we really don't discuss it but pretty much everyone dies en mass.  So I'd say Korea War since that's the other modern war Americans don't discuss much.

I would really like to see a German & then Russian version done about the Eastern Front.  Yes, they've done some of these already but I'd like to see better versions since that war was crazy.

I think BoB was the best miniseries done.  Perfect adaption from a great writer with an amazing cast of characters.  Pacific was such a letdown.
View Quote

The Pacific was trying to stand out by being "more raw," but really came off as "edgelord" instead.  

Still, a good series in its own right.  Their coverage of Basilone and his course through the war- including his unfortunate end- was one area I think Pacific did 100% right.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A good SOG Vietnam series based on the books from John Striker Myer (Across the Fence / On the Ground) would be awesome.  His episodes on the Jocko Podcast were unbelievable.
View Quote

Someone had posted Dick Thompson's appearance the other day, and I'm on the last podcast....I think a series on the SOG guys, would make for a damn good series.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 1:04:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Task Force Faith would make a great story done right and in truth...the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Although it's gonna seriously rustle some jimmies.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

My wife's grandfather was US Cavalry mounted engineers serving under Pershing.
We still have his sword and boot gun.
They suspect that her grandmother threw his side arm in the rubbish bin...
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Someone had posted Dick Thompson's appearance, the other day and I'm on the last podcast....I think a series on the SOG guys, would make for a damn good series.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone had posted Dick Thompson's appearance, the other day and I'm on the last podcast....I think a series on the SOG guys, would make for a damn good series.

That was a good one too.....if you haven't listened to the 3 with John Stryker Meyer....they're worth the listen.

Jocko Podcast 180 w/ John Stryker Meyer: Covert Lessons from "Across The Fence."

Jocko Podcast 181 w/ John Stryker Meyer: On The Ground in Vietnam. Mayem and Bravery.

Jocko Podcast 182 w/ John "TILT" Stryker Meyer: The Claustrophobic Reality of The Vietnam Jungle
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Could be better than Das Boot

Link Posted: 4/13/2020 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Gates of Fire

It would take at least 10hrs to tell it as Pressfield wrote it, but would be epic.

His book The Profession would make for an amazing series as well.
View Quote

Good call. It's pretty shocking that there hasn't even been a Gates of Fire feature film made.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Could be better than Das Boot

https://covers.openlibrary.org/b/id/7879499-L.jpg
View Quote

The charge of the Sammy B would easily rival the heroics demonstrated by Speirs in Foy. I'd love to see it portrayed accurately.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They need to do a series about Taffy 3.
View Quote

This. Like to see some BB on BB stuff too.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 2:28:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Red Storm Rising
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/13/2020 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I wouldn’t mind something about:
SAS in Africa during WW2
Fallujah.
MACV SOG
The push into Kuwait by armor.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#32]
USS Barb

Kursk

Flying Tigers in China

Link Posted: 4/13/2020 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I would love to see something done involving MACV-SOG.
View Quote

This is the correct answer!
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 2:35:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I would love to see something done involving MACV-SOG.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/13/2020 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
the story of joseph Beyrle

Joseph R. Beyrle (Russian: ?????? ???????, tr. Dzhozef Bayyerli; August 25, 1923 – December 12, 2004) is thought to be the only American soldier to have served with both the United States Army and the Soviet Red Army in World War II. He took part in Mission Albany, the airborne landings of the 101st Airborne Division on June 5–6, 1944, as a member of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment. He was captured by the Germans and sent east as a prisoner of war.

After several unsuccessful attempts, Beyrle escaped from the German Stalag III-C in January 1945 and joined a Soviet tank battalion under the command of Aleksandra Samusenko.[citation needed] Wounded, he was evacuated and eventually made his way to the United States in April 1945. Beyrle died in 2004 and was buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

Beyrle was taken to the Stalag III-C POW camp in Alt Drewitz, from which he escaped in early January 1945. He headed east, hoping to meet up with the Soviet army. Encountering a Soviet tank brigade in the middle of January, he raised his hands, holding a pack of Lucky Strike cigarettes, and shouted in Russian, 'Amerikansky tovarishch! ("American comrade!"). Beyrle was eventually able to persuade the battalion's commander (Aleksandra Samusenko,[citation needed] allegedly the only female tank officer of that rank in the war) to allow him to fight alongside the unit on its way to Berlin, thus beginning his month-long stint in a Soviet tank battalion, where his demolitions expertise was appreciated.
Soviet Army

Beyrle's new battalion was the one that freed his former camp, Stalag III-C, at the end of January, but in the first week of February, he was wounded during an attack by German dive bombers. He was evacuated to a Soviet hospital in Landsberg an der Warthe (now Gorzów Wielkopolski in Poland), where he received a visit from Soviet Marshal Georgy Zhukov, who, intrigued by the only non-Soviet in the hospital, learned his story through an interpreter, and provided Beyrle with official papers in order to rejoin American forces.
View Quote

Holy shit. That’s awesome.
Maybe not a miniseries but would make a great movie.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 2:41:29 PM EDT
[#36]
A well done short series from a few of the stories from "D Day through German Eyes" would be very interesting to see, I think.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Tripoli and the Barbary pirates.

Just to see if "crayon" can be a popcorn flavor.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 2:44:29 PM EDT
[#38]
There are so many heroic stories to tell.

Because it was such a clusterfuck the story of the disastrous Hertgen Forrest campaign has never been told adequately with the exception of When Trumpets Fade.

There have been movies about the Battle of the Bulge but I would like to see a modern make to tell the story of the courageous defense of Bastogne.  

There have been several movies about Vietnam but most of them have had a political slant to it and did not adequately portrayed the reality of what it was like for most of the troops.

Very few good portrayals of the Korean War.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#39]
MACV-SOG

Finnish WW2 era

Gurkhas - been around for 2 centuries, story never really told - easy to do a 200 year continuity given the nature of recruitment from the same family/village, etc.

British Home Guard Auxiliary Units (British resistance) & the Whitehall M.I. departments - especially those under General Gubbins - and the interaction between the Aux Units & the early S.O.E.
Lots of juicy stuff to focus on, lots of characters who'd been on opposite sides in the Spanish Civil War but were instructors in guerrilla warfare at Coleshill House.
A few well known actors were A.U./S.O.E.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Battle of Fort Eben-Emael. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Fort_Eben-Emael
May of '40, German troops paraglided onto the top of this fort, blew it open from the top.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#41]
84 Charlie MOPIC was a B movie about LRRP.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Need a good story on Vietnam
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They need to do a series about Taffy 3.
View Quote

/THREAD
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lets just reinvent history to the point where the real thing will be remembered by no one.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Lets just reinvent history to the point where the real thing will be remembered by no one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

“Those who control the present, control the past and those who control the past control the future.”

-Orwell
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#46]
WWI trench raiders
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 8:01:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Philippines invasion.

you could work in the Brave Stand of Taffy 3, along with:

The Battle of Manila (Japanese mass murder atrocity),

the Great Raid to free American POWs,

The First Massed Japanese Kamikaze attacks,

The Battle Ship Duel

The sinking of the Superbattleship Musashi

There is a lot of material that would make a good series.

BIGGER_HAMMER

View Quote

I was thinking about following a certain ship during the various Pacific campaigns, kicking off with Pearl Harbor.  I'm not familiar with the Navy fleet to know which ship to follow but the one battle many people are mentioning could be done if they build up to it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 8:06:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I don't think an adequate representation of WWI artillery has even been done.   I don't think anyone has the budget, the time, or the insurance to do it properly (real pryo rather than CGI).  
View Quote

I agree.  It was industrial murder, which is probably the reason nobody has ever discussed it in great detail since it was so brutal.  Americans tend to hear more about the Somme since it is Britain's version of Hell but we don't hear much about France's Verdun.  There is no feel good to this story telling - everyone loses.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
PT boats
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/13/2020 8:15:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The Pacific was trying to stand out by being "more raw," but really came off as "edgelord" instead.  

Still, a good series in its own right.  Their coverage of Basilone and his course through the war- including his unfortunate end- was one area I think Pacific did 100% right.
View Quote

I agree.

BOB was great because it was easy for us to relate to the actual characters portrayed - the interviews made the series so great.  Pacific was very difficult to relate to the true brutality & evil which had to be carefully told due to today's PC.  Even though the Nazis weren't the best people, Americans could relate to the Germans, unlike the Japanese with their backward way of thinking, after many years of brainwashing.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top