Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/5/2022 7:25:29 AM EDT
There are numerous posts on this site saying that different pistol brands are better than a Glock.

I have Glocks and am going to buy a different striker fired pistol brand soon.  I want to buy the best: most durable, longevity, ease of shooting, ease of putting a red dot on it, lots of aftermarket stuff and holsters, ease of working on, etc.

What are the features that make a pistol "better" than a Glock?

Which Brands/Models are better than a Glock?

Which is the best of the best?

M&P? All models?

HK VP9?

Sig 320?

Walther?

Hi Point?

Canik?

Others?

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 7:28:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I prefer M&Ps myself. They may not be better than Glocks, but they are better for me.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 7:32:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm a big fan of the M&P 2.0 compact, but also enjoy my P320 (X5) and just picked up a P365.  No issues with any yet for reliability.  The P365 only has ~300 through it though.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 7:35:10 AM EDT
[#3]
It’s mostly ergonomics beyond a point.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 7:35:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 7:37:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I prefer M&Ps myself. They may not be better than Glocks, but they are better for me.
View Quote

Wanting to try the CSX ...
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 7:37:17 AM EDT
[#6]
The P320 would be a good choice. It’s been officially adopted as the issued handgun for every branch of the military and different variants are in use by several special forces groups as well, so it’s gonna have solid staying power for at least a couple decades. It’s a mature design that’s easy shooting and the modularity makes modifications or mounting optics simple and straight-forward. Pretty well supported by both the factory and aftermarket, and that’s only going to increase
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 7:38:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I've shot a lot of Glocks but I don't own any.

I own and carry the M&P.

I just prefer it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 7:44:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I've tried unsuccessfully to replace Glock three times now. Everything is better/worse in a given category, for me M&P 2.0, PPQ, VP9 and P10C were easier to shoot and felt better in hand but at the end of the day had more expensive parts/accessories and I already have tons of Glock parts/accessories. If I were starting fresh I would go with one of those four (PDP for the Walther).

I personally don't like the P320/P365 and Canik, I've tried multiple versions of each trying to figure out why people like them so much and I just don't get it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 7:45:48 AM EDT
[#9]
The PPQ has probably the best trigger of any plastic gun.  

Glock is the granddaddy and has a well earned reputation. That's why they're still on top. But for the discerning plastic gun buyer, there are other options just as good. In fact, you have to be a really shitty company to mess up a polymer, striker fired gun these days.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 7:46:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I like my Walther PPQ M1 and HK VP9 over my Glocks; better triggers, grip feels better in my hand and I prefer the paddle mag release.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 7:47:38 AM EDT
[#11]
invest in ammo for your glock(s) and training instead.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I think there are quite a few pistols that have passed glock by in form and features. Canik, walther, s&w, hk, sig,and I am sure others have models that I find superior to their glock counterpart. Cheap magazines and functionality are hard to beat with glock, but everything else has been passed by I think. A walther pdp is superior to a glock in my opinion, but magazines are double the price.

Going back to your original question I can compare and contrast with the walther right off the bat: better trigger, better ergos, and modern styling. I own a pdp, a pps m2, and even a ppq 45 that I would not trade for a glock. The canik line seems like a budget walther.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 8:17:34 AM EDT
[#13]
They're really all about the same IMHO. Some have better ergos, triggers, ease of mounting optics, capacity; so it really comes down to personal preference.

Don't forget about Walther.

ETA: I just learned that the P99AS is still in production.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 8:18:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Steyr A2-MFs, maybe?  They're modular and have better ergonomics.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Arex and Shadow Systems seem to be popular around here. Basically Glocks that are pre-modified.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 8:21:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I have blown a lot of money buying other stuff I thought was better than a Glock 19.

The Walther P99 is better than a Glock 19 but I don't shoot as well with it so I still carry my ancient Glock 19.

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#17]
A g19, a garand, and an 1897 walk into a bar....
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:13:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Needs poll with GripZone Pie as an option
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:16:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I switched to the VP9 because I shot it better than my Glocks.

Just because I shoot a VP9 better than a Glock, doesn't mean I would make a blanket statement to the world that the VP9 is a better gun and everyone should switch.  

For me, it's a better choice.  That's it.  Nothing else.

This isn't hard.  Got to a range, rent a few pistols, see how you like them.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:18:09 AM EDT
[#20]
First post nails it in the fact that it comes down to which works best for you.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#21]
lol, this is all so tiresome.

Find what's best in your hands and what you want to both shoot a lot and carry a lot. That will be your answer.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:25:31 AM EDT
[#22]
CZP10C.  Better ergonomics.  Better trigger pull and especially better trigger reset.  Grip size is perfect for my hands.

I sold my glocks after I bought my CZ.  

I also really wanted to like the Sig 365.  It's just too much of a compromise, sold it too.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:25:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have blown a lot of money buying other stuff I thought was better than a Glock 19.

The Walther P99 is better than a Glock 19 but I don't shoot as well with it so I still carry my ancient Glock 19.

View Quote

The G19 cult is the 1911 replacement cult, all still stuck in their ways.

Both the 43X and G48 exist. The future is now.

By the way, the 1911 guys all thought that something new was better too, and don't shoot those things better than their 1911 so that's what they're still carrying. I've read it on here at least 87 times by now.

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The P320 would be a good choice. It’s been officially adopted as the issued handgun for every branch of the military and different variants are in use by several special forces groups as well, so it’s gonna have solid staying power for at least a couple decades. It’s a mature design that’s easy shooting and the modularity makes modifications or mounting optics simple and straight-forward. Pretty well supported by both the factory and aftermarket, and that’s only going to increase
View Quote

Except the Coast Guard is switching from Sig to the G19.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#25]
If you watched Garand Thumb’s freezing torture test you would know that the M&P 2.0 is superior to the Glock.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:30:54 AM EDT
[#26]
None.

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#27]
This has been a Glock-free household since I got my first Walther P99.  Now when I pick up a Glock it really is apparent what a better design the Walther is in comparison.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Walther PDP, I am very impressed
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Nothing better than a gen 5 Glock.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Ruger 9e

Cheap is a feature
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:40:05 AM EDT
[#32]
“Better” in a completely subjective measurement unless there’s something specific you’re talking about.

Glocks are accurate, reliable and durable. I just don’t really like them. I carried a G19 for a decade plus and went to a CZ SDP.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:40:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Of the big manufacturers, I have a USPc, Glock 19 (gen 2), M&P9 (1.0), XD45c, XDM OSP 9mm,  
original Shield, ect.

Of these, I prefer the hammer-fired USPc. Cold, I generally shoot the G19 better and the USPc better after a few "warm up" mags.

I honestly don't like the Glock all that much, but it stays because it shoots for me.

All firearms are bone stock, with the exception of the XDM, which has a red dot on it and work probably eventually get a trigger upgrade. (Using it as a steel match gun)
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:41:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Your criteria tells me that the Glock is best for you.

I think the Glock is a poor value for the average buyer, the ergos don't match anything else on the market, and it has a steeper learning curve to shoot as well as other pistols (likely due to the trigger). BUT, when you start getting into parts, maintenance, accessories (like holsters), and other factors like you posted, you should just get a Glock.  Personally, I think folks should go 100% Glock or not at all. The grip angle alone makes it a losing proposition (to try and integrate other non Glock firearms) if you are trying to be consistent.

I only shoot Glocks for all of the same reasons as you, but I think the MP is a way better value, the 320 is very nice, and the HK VP9 is the best (stupid accurate for me, ambi paddle release is superior to the button, and they now hold 17 rounds with optics cuts available).
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nothing better than a gen 5 Glock.
View Quote

The only Gen 5 Glock I have shot was a friend's G19X. It had the best stock trigger of any Glock i have ever shot.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:42:25 AM EDT
[#36]
I like the M&Ps, especially the 2.0 versions. They do need APEX triggers though.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#37]
XD, XDM, XDm2....metal trigger that doesn't get mushy, metal sights, metal mags. Never met an actual owner of an XD or former owner that had any issues with the grip safety causing a failure to fire. If you have issues engaging the grip safety on an XD then likely you pee sitting down and you should go make me a sammich.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:50:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#39]
The Walther P99 and it has a decocking feature
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Just stay with Glock
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#41]
M&P 2.0 for me. Same grip angle as the 1911. Glock knuckle is fo real.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:01:50 AM EDT
[#42]
It’s really just personal preference.

I had the full size XDM, I hated it and sold it to a buddy who shoots it’s extremely well.

I went to buy a VP9 but it felt horrible in my large hands. I’m sure it’s a great piece, I just didn’t like the feel

Went to get a Sig 365xl. Was too narrow for my hands and got the G43x instead.

You may have the exact opposite experience so “better or worse” is really up to you OP.

The higher end striker fired guns all go bang at this point with some examples of problems from every manufacturer.

You just need to go finger them to see what you want. It was very obvious to me which didn’t.

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:21:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Go shooting with friends that have different striker fired pistols, and everyone swap guns around so you, and they, can experience the differences first hand.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
CZP10C.  Better ergonomics.  Better trigger pull and especially better trigger reset.  Grip size is perfect for my hands.

I sold my glocks after I bought my CZ.  

I also really wanted to like the Sig 365.  It's just too much of a compromise, sold it too.
View Quote

I really like my CZP 10s better than my G19.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I think there are quite a few pistols that have passed glock by in form and features. Canik, walther, s&w, hk, sig,and I am sure others have models that I find superior to their glock counterpart. Cheap magazines and functionality are hard to beat with glock, but everything else has been passed by I think. A walther pdp is superior to a glock in my opinion, but magazines are double the price.

Going back to your original question I can compare and contrast with the walther right off the bat: better trigger, better ergos, and modern styling. I own a pdp, a pps m2, and even a ppq 45 that I would not trade for a glock. The canik line seems like a budget walther.
View Quote

Agree, well stated.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#46]
The only one I have is a VP9. It is a terrific gun but not better than my Glocks.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:43:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Im a fan of the original XD, not the Mod2 or the M but just the plain ole XD
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:46:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
invest in ammo for your glock(s) and training instead.
View Quote

Whoa pardner, get outta here with that logic!
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
XD, XDM, XDm2....metal trigger that doesn't get mushy, metal sights, metal mags. Never met an actual owner of an XD or former owner that had any issues with the grip safety causing a failure to fire. If you have issues engaging the grip safety on an XD then likely you pee sitting down and you should go make me a sammich.
View Quote

I’ve seen those failures. I’ve seen XDs deadlined due to failures.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:56:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top