Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:32:19 PM EDT
[#1]
We’ve had kits in our back yard the past two years and we’re hoping they continue the trend this year as we’ve loved having them around. They’ll play and wrestle on the back patio every single night, from late April, through around late July, which is perfect, as the backyard cameras catch them being goofy and fucking about.  

They’ve never bothered our dogs, nor our neighbors’, and they dart at the first inkling of humans, so they’re absolutely not in any way a bother, nor an issue. Neighbors with outdoor cats haven’t been in love with the resident fox family, but they learned pretty quickly to keep their cats indoors if they want to see them keep on keeping on.

You’re pretty damn lucky to have the chance to watch fox kits grow and play - don’t run them off!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool!

Enjoy them and take pics.

Unless they are
killing all your chickens let them be.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#3]
We had a fox raise her babies under a shed a while back. We discovered them after waking up a few mornings and finding dead rodents left on our back porch.

Turns out, the fox was leaving peace offerings for our dog (who was really old at the time, couldn't see well or chase anything, etc.).
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#4]
We have them eating deer corn almost every night in our front yard.

I need to see if there is a den nearby.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:39:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We’ve had kits in our back yard the past two years and we’re hoping they continue the trend this year as we’ve loved having them around. They’ll play and wrestle on the back patio every single night, from late April, through around late July, which is perfect, as the backyard cameras catch them being goofy and fucking about.  

They’ve never bothered our dogs, nor our neighbors’, and they dart at the first inkling of humans, so they’re absolutely not in any way a bother, nor an issue. Neighbors with outdoor cats haven’t been in love with the resident fox family, but they learned pretty quickly to keep their cats indoors if they want to see them keep on keeping on.

You’re pretty damn lucky to have the chance to watch fox kits grow and play - don’t run them off!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/290440/F8B444EA-A930-433A-A3E5-E47347F7305D_jpe-1902041.JPG
View Quote

Hahahaha look at that guy
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Webcam and YouTube.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:50:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
20 year ago, we found a fox den and cubs in a retaining wall, they were so much fun to watch

for some reason they have basically disappeared in the last 10 years around here
View Quote

Coyotes kill foxes. We used to have fox around my place. Cool critters, then coyotes showed up and the fox all vanished. MUCH better to have fox than yots. BUT they are not pets, don't get to friendly with them. In some parts of the country it can be as high as 1 in 4 caries rabies. I have had fox walk up to within 5' of me, and I think it would have walked right over to me if I didn't yell at it and stomp my foot to get it to back off. So careful with them... They can get to friendly... All I did was work in the yard and ignore them. Over the summer they would get closer and closer, till that oh crap it's going to walk right up to me and touch me NO... not cool.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I would leave them alone and enjoy seeing them. Urban wildlife is cool.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:57:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I would work on domesticating them and becoming the neighborhood fox Lord. They would write folk songs about you and your memory would be enshrined in neighborhood lore forever.  And yes I’m actually being serious for once. Maybe not the part about folk songs but I would definitely try to domesticate some. They can be funny little fuckers.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#10]
As a person without chickens, foxes are cool and neat to watch. If I had chickens I'd probably really like how their pelts feel still
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I would leave them alone and enjoy watching them.  They keep rodent populations in check...if you get rid of the foxes, you will have more rodents.....LOTS more rodents.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:06:34 PM EDT
[#12]
That’s really cool and I’m jealous. My dogs have a crazy high prey drive so we will probably never get any wild animals around here. We have a squirrel family
in the trees that seems to enjoy staying just out of their reach. It’s fun to watch my dog try to climb in pursuit. One of these days we’re going to get a DNA test done to confirm or disapprove any coyote blood in one of ours. That might account for the high prey drive.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I say let nature deal with it.

Capture some Coyotes, and release them in the neighbors’ back yard. Yotes hate foxes and will kill them, in a completely natural way.

Follow me for more nature tips, like how to remove coyotes in a natural way.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I love watching foxes, I've only had to relocate one due to them starting to attack cats.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why mess with them?  As long as you dog can’t get them, let the foxes keep the rodent and pest population down.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Did you make them birthday cakes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qASIDV6gt64
View Quote

Fox den in the mud on top of the septic risers?
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:19:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That looks like a cross between a fox and a raccoon. WTF?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That looks like a cross between a fox and a raccoon. WTF?

She was very pregnant and obviously grazing on good pasture.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:21:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Fox cam ----Profit?
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:23:11 PM EDT
[#20]
cool

Id love to have foxes at my place

mice's are bad and i dont wanna put poisomn down

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:24:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Adorable moment friendly fox cozies up to man in pub | SWNS TV
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Leave them be.  Once the pups are old enough and leave the den you’ll likely never see them again.
View Quote

They're called "kits," dawg.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Consider yourself lucky. They can be a ton of entertainment. I feed them on my patio every night. They don't damage anything and don't mess with anyones cats. One night I had about 4 racoons and 3-4 foxes eating at the same time. One neighbors cat showed up and just sat there and watched them. The racoons seemed a bit wary of the cat but the foxes and the cat didn't care at all. I have this one old male fox in particular that will sit on the back patio watching the kitchen window and wait for me to see him so I can go outside and throw him pieces of hot dog. He won't get closer than about 20 ft when I go out but he likes to make a point of being seen at the kitchen window when he decides he wants a hot dog. Sometimes during the day in the spring you'll see the kits playing with each other. That is some fine entertainment.
Enjoy what you have. It's a blessing.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:35:49 PM EDT
[#24]

That's awesome
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:38:48 PM EDT
[#25]
I do have chickens, but I don’t really want to shoot the foxes. I shot one a couple of years ago, and almost shot one this year, but I let him go. They remind me too much of my dogs.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I have had chickens for 50 years.
Have had foxes longer.
Never lost a chicken to afox.
Coons, yes.

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 2:59:34 PM EDT
[#27]
If they're there and there's no chicken coop nearby, there's a rodent issue nearby.

Just enjoy.  Fox kits are a blast to watch play.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#28]
SSS
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
We live in a residential neighborhood in a medium sized city. When I let the dog out this morning, we both noticed a group of fox pups hanging out in front of our neighbor's backyard shed. When they saw us, they all scampered into the den that momma fox dug under the shed.

My neighbor is an elderly lady that never goes in to her backyard and I doubt she has a clue about the foxes. City animal control does not handle wildlife issues unless someone is bitten and rabies is suspected. They refer citizens to private wildlife relocation organizations if someone wants wild animals relocated.

What would you do about this situation? Let nature do its thing or let the neighbor know and offer to help her relocate the fox family?

Edited to add: They are not bothering me and nature is awesome to watch.
View Quote

Fox den in my next door neighbor's yard.  I have been lucky enough to see the mother exactly twice.

I would do nothing.  Be thankful you have such a wonderful predator so close.

Also, might thank them for getting rid of cats that run loose and walk on your cars.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Your lucky I would enjoy watching them, had one around house a few years ago(fenced in yard so no problem with dog) so a couple times he came up on front porch and shit by front door and on a bench. wtf.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 4:04:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Pics added in the OP. They've been out a lot today and my dog thinks they are other dogs and wants to go play with them.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Those kits are cute as hell OP.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They're called "kits," dawg.
View Quote

Pups or kits (or cubs) are all correct apparently...so sayeth Wikipedia.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Pics added in the OP. They've been out a lot today and my dog thinks they are other dogs and wants to go play with them.
View Quote

Awww..
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Have had foxes longer.
Coons, yes.

View Quote

Gray foxes ate about 1/2 of my sister's chicken flock. All the smaller types of chickens got clobbered. She has several stories where they grabbed chickens before they knew what happened while she was watching.

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't know, what does the fox say?
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 5:59:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
As a person without chickens, foxes are cool and neat to watch. If I had chickens I'd probably really like how their pelts feel still
View Quote

I’ll tell you it definitely changes the dynamic. The smell of a fox is burned into my brain. I can now tell if one has walked through my yard recently just by the smell.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Gray foxes ate about 1/2 of my sister's chicken flock. All the smaller types of chickens got clobbered. She has several stories where they grabbed chickens before they knew what happened while she was watching.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have had foxes longer.
Coons, yes.

Well,mine are penned.

Never lost one to a fox
Coons yes,not fox
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/144765/9E70BFA1-421D-4D30-B2ED-B17B1F106A89_jpe-1901876.JPGIf I didn't have anything like chickens I'd let them be and enjoy watching them grow up. We had a group a couple years back just down the road and got to watch them the biggest part of the summer

picture my wife took
View Quote

This.  If you raise sone sort of bird or rabbits then it’s going to be hard to coexist with them.

However, if you live in ultra-suburbia like I do, just enjoy them.  They don’t need to be relocated.  Foxes do great in the suburbs.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Did the OP post pics or paintings?
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:26:04 PM EDT
[#41]
i've had a few around here since the late 2020 fall/winter timeframe. well, that's when i started noticing them on my security cameras at least.

at first, i was in the "get them the fuck out of my yard" camp.

now i kinda like them and hope they keep coming back. my cat is indoors only, and they don't seem to be interested in the neighbor's cats. hopefully they chow down on the chipmunks around here.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:26:55 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Lol!  This.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Foxes are cool I would leave them be
View Quote

This, just enjoy them from a distance
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#44]
I love foxes, and the Japanese mythology behind them. Always seemed like very cool animals. I have only seen a couple wild ones in person.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Did the OP post pics or paintings?
View Quote

Crappy cell phone pics taken at full zoom setting.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
We live in a residential neighborhood in a medium sized city. When I let the dog out this morning, we both noticed a group of fox pups hanging out in front of our neighbor's backyard shed. When they saw us, they all scampered into the den that momma fox dug under the shed.

My neighbor is an elderly lady that never goes in to her backyard and I doubt she has a clue about the foxes. City animal control does not handle wildlife issues unless someone is bitten and rabies is suspected. They refer citizens to private wildlife relocation organizations if someone wants wild animals relocated.

What would you do about this situation? Let nature do its thing or let the neighbor know and offer to help her relocate the fox family?

Edited to add: They are not bothering me and nature is awesome to watch.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/95129/20210412_145003_jpg-1902250.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/95129/20210412_144745_jpg-1902252.JPG
View Quote

Time to upgrade your Potato.

Other than that they look fun.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#47]
The fox is the under the shed

Repeat

The fox is under the shed

End of message
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for the pics OP. Love those little guys.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Set up a camera 24/7

Put it in YouTube

Profit
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:41:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Here I thought you were talking about a hot tub full of bikini clad babes!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top