Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:42:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Red foxes are hard on stray cats.  Had a litter in town a few years back.  11 pups and dad was pretty big fox.  I saw him cross the road in front of me over a dozen times carrying cats back to the den.

Watched another fox pounce on and kill a cat in seconds one night at about 20 yards with night visit on.  That was pretty cool.

Personally, I'd rather have foxes than stray cats but your mileage might vary.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll take foxes over rodents.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why mess with them?  As long as you dog can’t get them, let the foxes keep the rodent and pest population down.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Get a hound dog puppy and let it befriend one of the fox kits.

Then, teach it to hunt and unleash it on its former best friend.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:49:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Put a camera overlooking their den and get some cool video.

People love videos of foxes and fox cubs.

Put video on youtube and get millions of hits.

Profit.
View Quote

sounds like a plan right there
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:51:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I've spent way too much time watching these little buggers today!

Momma and 6 pups. I've seen her bring them a dead bird (?), which two of the pups ran off with, but later all 6 were nudging her belly and trying to nurse. They are staying pretty close to the den opening and I'm guessing this is possibly their first day outside. The dog would have seen them before this morning if not.

Only know of one stray cat in the neighborhood,  so if it goes missing, oh well. Baby foxes gotta eat...
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Leave the Fox alone
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Catch the babies and make pets out of them.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#9]
We have a bunch running around in my neighborhood. Last year I opened my garage door and got to see a fox run down my driveway and down my neighbors driveway after a squirrel. The squirrel used my neighbors car to keep as a pick. It ran under and the fox had to go around. It was just enough to get on the fence and lose the fox. I've also seen the same fox running around with a rabbit in its mouth. As long as they don't mess with my dogs they get to stay around.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've spent way too much time watching these little buggers today!

Momma and 6 pups. I've seen her bring them a dead bird (?), which two of the pups ran off with, but later all 6 were nudging her belly and trying to nurse. They are staying pretty close to the den opening and I'm guessing this is possibly their first day outside. The dog would have seen them before this morning if not.

Only know of one stray cat in the neighborhood,  so if it goes missing, oh well. Baby foxes gotta eat...
View Quote

They're super cool animals. I don't know where he lives but there's a really healthy fox that lives near my parents. If I'm going over early in the morning I usually have a 30% chance of seeing him and he's usually hunting. Funny part is I've never seen a rabbit at their house or near it but he eats rabbit a lot.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
set up cameras and enjoy the frolicking, and fun. Foxes are some of the coolest animals. they won't eat your dog or cat. Probably want to play with them instead.
View Quote

We used to have one show up in the driveway a couple times a week and bark at the house.  I really think he wanted the cats to play with him.  Unfortunately he quit coming around the same time as a roadkill showed up nearby on the highway.  Just yesterday I came home very early in the morning and found a new one in the front yard which I was glad to see.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/71410/fox-Phil_Brown-__1__jpg-1901904.JPG

I can give you Phil's #.

Don't move them.
Either let them be or kill them all.

I'm very protective of my foxes.
Till trapping season...
View Quote

I’m normally fine with conservation and killing/trapping of nuisance animals....
But this picture gave me a sick feeling to my stomach,
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#13]
We have foxes and their pups on our property along with a bunch of cats.

The foxes don't mess with the cats.  

I think they are pretty cool creatures and very common to have them in suburban areas near people.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Just let them do their fox thing unless they are destroying something.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Leave em. They'll be fun to watch.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Domesticated silver fox

TL;DR: probably not a good idea.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Let them be
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I just finished reading this thread, walked out the front door and an adult Red came trotting by.

He must be an Arfcommer.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:24:37 PM EDT
[#19]
They won’t stay long.

She’ll move them soon.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:37:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6755/fox-1735287.jpg

This was one of two in my back yard.
View Quote

I think it's pretty cool GD pretty much universally likes foxes. I get why farmers and ranchers don't like wolves but I think wolves are cool.

The only other "Don't kill it dude, it's cool" animal I can think of is Possums. Obviously though foxes are cooler than possums.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:48:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I want a stalking fox mount, and a pheasant mount to go with it. I'd shoot it.
I think foxes are neat, but there's a lot of chickens around  here. If I didn't  shoot it someone else would.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:31:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Finally!
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:40:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Why mess with them?  As long as you dog can’t get them, let the foxes keep the rodent and pest population down.
View Quote

and keeps them safe somewhat from coyotes
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:42:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Very cool, one of my favorite animals! Let them be OP and enjoy. You have free pest control!
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 8:56:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Let them stay, maybe they'll eat some of the neighborhood cats.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 10:10:21 AM EDT
[#27]
I agree with OP.  I hate nature!  Kill them asap.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top