Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:05:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Having been both enlisted army, and a Marine, and a paratrooper...this man speaks the truth.

It really isn't a fair comparison though, because ANGLICO and Reconnaissance Marines are more selectively bred group of animals than big Marine Corps.

I'd put up ANGLICO or Recon as above (insert whatever other non-SOCOM, and many which are SOCOM) Army units any day. And I say that with great love for both services.
View Quote

We had quite a few prior service USMC at A/1/19th Gp including my team sergeant MSG McMahon. I did bump into a former soldier who branch transferred to active USMC. I rarely see Army going Marine but I saw a lot of former USMC and Army go USAF CCT including an E-6 from one of my previous units. Took him quite awhile to get approval to go from ARNG to active USAF.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:09:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So much fail in here….

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/124234/DC0132F8-79E9-4CE6-895C-C746DCE27C32-819190.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/124234/9EB89258-78B4-42C4-AA4C-71065309BC4F-1801710.jpg

82d Deployments since 1945….
1965 Dominican Republic
1968 Vietnam
1983 Urgent Fury (307th CBT EN jumped with 1/75, other units air landed)
1989 Just Cause (2 BDE combat jump)
1990 Desert Shield/Storm (1st ground troops deployed as speed bumps)
1994 Uphold Democracy (no-go combat jump to kick in the door for the marine landings)
1999 Kosovo
2001 Afghanistan
2003 Iraq

There’s around 15,000 paratroopers. It’s a light infantry division with organic combat engineers, field artillery, and combat service/support. It was 100% on jump status. Not sure if it still is.

I like ANGLICOs. They jumped with us a few times.
View Quote

2 tours (7 years) in 1st ANGLICO.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I considered going back on active duty as a STO with the USAF. Then I woke up one morning and as I brushed my teeth started trying to picture myself in the mirror with an AF uniform on and started vomiting all over my bathroom, so I stayed with the Blue-Green Team.
View Quote

It was amusing working with USAF combat controllers sporting rolled up sleeves and USMC tats wearing USMC headgear. I only interacted with the STS at McChord once so not much exposure to the current configuration of USAF.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Paratrooper > Marine.

Fight me.
View Quote

I'm with you, bro
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:15:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

And yet in Iraq the guard and reserve units were trained up before deploying as you state.  After being in country in combat operations they were just as good as any active unit after several months.   Studies have proven that guard, reserve and even draftee units after six months in combat are just as good as their active or regular army units.  

Regular army units have an initial advantage of being better trained than the others stated above but that distinction fades after several months of combat.  

But many guard and reserve units were still treated badly by their regular army counterparts even after having proved themselves in combat.   The marines treated all army units equally regardless if they were active or reserve.  

And the Marine reserves are treated better by their active counterparts than the army treats their reserves.  

And though it is true in combat units the active army has an initial big advantage in training but in the support units the distinction is not as great.   There are some guard and reserve units that are better in a support role than there active duty counterparts.    Maintenance units for one tend to have a higher percentage of expertise than the active duty counterparts since a lot of the soldiers are full time mechanics in the civilian world.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course, there is.  If you spend one weekend a month and one month of summer camp then claim to be as good as someone that does it 52 week a year, then either:
1.  You are full of shit
2.  we should disband the Army/Navy/Marines/Air force and go to 100% Guard/Reservists.
There is a reason Guard/Reserve units had to go thru intensive training before heading to the sandbox.

And yet in Iraq the guard and reserve units were trained up before deploying as you state.  After being in country in combat operations they were just as good as any active unit after several months.   Studies have proven that guard, reserve and even draftee units after six months in combat are just as good as their active or regular army units.  

Regular army units have an initial advantage of being better trained than the others stated above but that distinction fades after several months of combat.  

But many guard and reserve units were still treated badly by their regular army counterparts even after having proved themselves in combat.   The marines treated all army units equally regardless if they were active or reserve.  

And the Marine reserves are treated better by their active counterparts than the army treats their reserves.  

And though it is true in combat units the active army has an initial big advantage in training but in the support units the distinction is not as great.   There are some guard and reserve units that are better in a support role than there active duty counterparts.    Maintenance units for one tend to have a higher percentage of expertise than the active duty counterparts since a lot of the soldiers are full time mechanics in the civilian world.

This is true, we hated you all equally
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

We seized Afghanistan with like 10 ODA's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, no.  You’re not seizing any country bigger than Luxembourg with a single division.

We seized Afghanistan with like 10 ODA's.

‘Alex, I will take ‘Things that never happened’ for $1,000.’
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

We had quite a few prior service USMC at A/1/19th Gp including my team sergeant MSG McMahon. I did bump into a former soldier who branch transferred to active USMC. I rarely see Army going Marine but I saw a lot of former USMC and Army go USAF CCT including an E-6 from one of my previous units. Took him quite awhile to get approval to go from ARNG to active USAF.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having been both enlisted army, and a Marine, and a paratrooper...this man speaks the truth.

It really isn't a fair comparison though, because ANGLICO and Reconnaissance Marines are more selectively bred group of animals than big Marine Corps.

I'd put up ANGLICO or Recon as above (insert whatever other non-SOCOM, and many which are SOCOM) Army units any day. And I say that with great love for both services.

I served with quite a few guys that were prior Army, even a couple that were prior 82nd, but there's certainly a lot more Marines that go to the Army and National Guard than the other direction. One big inhibiting factor for prior other service is having to go through Marine boot camp.

When I was on recruiting and extremely disgruntled I came really really close to transferring to the Air Force for CCT. Like Duane the Air Force recruiter next door working up my package close.

Then I got selected for Gunny and that persuaded me to stay in the Corps.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:21:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

When did that become a thing?

It’s been a while, but in Iraq our SF group told our augmentees to wear the patch they came with, and I thought big Army decided the same.

What the AR and NG does when they get home is probably another thing entirely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I supported 10th Mountain, the 82nd, 25th and 101st in Iraq and Afghanistan at various points. I'm a leg and I never got treated badly by the 82nd, and none of my troops ever complained about it.
I have my choice of combat patches and I chose to wear the 82nd.
Had more limited interactions with the Marines but never had aby trouble with them either.

It’s been a while, but in Iraq our SF group told our augmentees to wear the patch they came with, and I thought big Army decided the same.

During my Afghanistan deployment in 2004-2005 the CJTF-76 Smaj got pissed at the number of soldiers wearing USMC combat patches. He couldn’t quite order them to change them to Army units but he came damn close.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Of course, there is.  If you spend one weekend a month and one month of summer camp then claim to be as good as someone that does it 52 week a year, then either:
1.  You are full of shit
2.  we should disband the Army/Navy/Marines/Air force and go to 100% Guard/Reservists.
There is a reason Guard/Reserve units had to go thru intensive training before heading to the sandbox.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

1.  You are full of shit

We could probably shrink the Regular Army pretty aggressively. But we won't, even though we have too many combat units and not enough lift to get to the fight.

Quoted:

Agree.  During 3 years in 1-77 Armor, 2nd Brigade, 4ID, Ft. Carson; I spent over 180 nights every year in the field.  Either Tank gunnery, FTXs, TEWTs, or prep for rotations to Ft. Irwin, or deployments to Ft. Irwin (that was pre-NTC).  During 4 years as an AD advisor to a reserve unit, I spent Zero nights in the field, before the intensive pre-Desert Storm deployment.

Your 40 year old experience is irrelevant. The Guard and Reserve have changed a lot since then. The goal is still to get about 80% of the performance at about 20% of the cost, but that's actually achievable. RC units are still cheaper when deployed, BTW, because they have a lighter footprint. No post to support them.

Are they "as good?" No. But they don't need to be. It takes something like 4 months to spin up an RC unit for deployment. It takes 13 months to get a conscript from the President issuing the order to boots on the ground. Without the RC, the AD has to hold for over a year.

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I served with quite a few guys that were prior Army, even a couple that were prior 82nd, but there's certainly a lot more Marines that go to the Army and National Guard than the other direction. One big inhibiting factor for prior other service is having to go through Marine boot camp.

When I was on recruiting and extremely disgruntled I came really really close to transferring to the Air Force for CCT. Like Duane the Air Force recruiter next door working up my package close.

View Quote

We had several Army Dogs that went to the Corps when I was in.  One of our guys was a Staff Sargeant in the Army. I forget what unit but  he was a jumpmaster with something like 1000ish jumps. He was a combat medic among his other jobs. He had his Ranger Tab.    

We had guys in the Corps though that went Army later because for us to get Jump and Scuba is difficult. However the Army jumps everyone (So it seems).
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Met a ARNG guy in his 50s who’d had a GCM from every branch but the USCG. Which now makes me wonder. Does the new Space Force have a GCM?
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:31:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a good friend that was in an “airborne” unit and was surprised to learn that only about half of them actually jumped. How many in the 82nd are on jump status?

Also yes an apples to oranges and airborne likes to tout that they can be anywhere within some many hours, but the Marines are always forward deployed somewhere. Supporting assets are completely different and missions aren’t the same.

What has the 82nd done post 1945?
View Quote

Everyone in the 82nd are on “active” jump status.  The only way out of it is to be on a medical profile and if you are on one to long you will get bounced out of the division because everyone has to be on active jump status.  Certain units may only jump once a quarter to keep current for jump pay, but if you are in a line battalion or combat arms units that support one of the battalions or brigades you will jump more than once a quarter.  

Bco. 1st/505th PIR 92-96
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

We had several Army Dogs that went to the Corps when I was in.  One of our guys was a Staff Sargeant in the Army. I forget what unit but  he was a jumpmaster with something like 1000ish jumps. He was a combat medic among his other jobs. He had his Ranger Tab.    

We had guys in the Corps though that went Army later because for us to get Jump and Scuba is difficult. However the Army jumps everyone (So it seems).
View Quote

I considered a 2 year for USAF just to get bling even their E-4s got more ribbons than most NCOs. Crazy to see 4 row ribbon racks on USAF E-5s pre 9/11. I know a few USMC liked the promotion to TIS of the Army compared to USMC although some Army MOS Promotion rates move like molasses some years.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:36:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Everyone in the 82nd are on “active” jump status.  The only way out of it is to be on a medical profile and if you are on one to long you will get bounced out of the division because everyone has to be on active jump status.  Certain units may only jump once a quarter to keep current for jump pay, but if you are in a line battalion or combat arms units that support one of the battalions or brigades you will jump more than once a quarter.  

Bco. 1st/505th PIR 92-96
View Quote

A co 82nd Sig Bn - nope - met a CWO about to turn 60 who was a leg and refused to attend jump school. He was in that maintenance battalion - 582nd? Anyway, he wasn’t 18th Corps, he was in a Paraglide article. Now there’s a lot of legs in 18th Abn Corp jump status units who were legs including PSGs and SQD LDRS - 87% of them were shitbags from what I saw and half seemed to come from previous units in Germany.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:38:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Does the 82nd have tanks, AAVs (obviously not, but the bradley is close enough), engineering battalions, arty, etc, organic?

AFAIK, they’re two totally different kinds of unit, but I really don’t know shit about Army units.
View Quote

The 82nd has all of those things.  They have aviaton, engineering, artillery, communications, heavy wheel maintenance units and so on.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Timeframes may be a lot different. I was active around 2008, 2009, 2010, etc. We were going to Afghanistan a lot during that time.
View Quote

Yeah I was later. The unit had just returned from deployment when I PCSed to Hood. Started train up for next deployment pretty much right away. Deployed almost a year and a half later. Seemed like a quick turnaround to me.

Maybe it was too much training? But I felt good going into the deployment and while there because I knew what my guys were capable of.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#18]
These threads....

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Bergdahl was with an airborne unit.

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They both are elite units and it is hard to quantify

Having said that army units who have worked with both would rather work with the Marines.  

The Marines treated them fairly while the 82nd treated them with disdain.   There is a lot of issues in the army in the way units are treated amongst themselves to include guard and reserve units.  

I saw it first hand in the 21 years I spent in the army and guard.
View Quote

lol, One small guard unit I was in wore the first division patch.  Oh the disdain the active persons would have when they figured out the MPs were just guardsmen.  It didn’t matter that 70%  the guard MPs worked day jobs in LE and corrections and had years more experience than their one or maybe two enlistment counterparts.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:46:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Some guy on YouTube makes money off these topics. How? Nobody enlisting these days, so who are all the viewers? Found his channel - even dies videos of Army units vs Army units
Best AIRBORNE Unit In The Army
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:51:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

lol, One small guard unit I was in wore the first division patch.  Oh the disdain the active persons would have when they figured out the MPs were just guardsmen.  It didn’t matter that 70%  the guard MPs worked day jobs in LE and corrections and had years more experience than their one or maybe two enlistment counterparts.
View Quote

Screechjet1 told me that his commander in Africa said RC Civil Affairs units are like that drawer in your house that you open when you don't know what tool or part you need but you know you will find it in there.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:54:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Fort Bragg has 57,000 Soldiers.  

82nd is 17k and some change
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1st Marine division has 22,000 marines the 82nd airborne has 57,000 soldiers .

I'm not sure what kind of equipment both have .

Fort Bragg has 57,000 Soldiers.  

82nd is 17k and some change

True but since it is part of 18th abn corps, and the 18th is fort Bragg, there are lots of units that support the 82nd other than just 82nd peeps like 1st coscom, post mps and such so the numbers are higher than just division guys.  Basically there are more people on Bragg that jump regularly than don’t.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:56:46 PM EDT
[#24]
H Minus !

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 3:10:18 PM EDT
[#26]

After I was at Bragg for about 3 years or so, I kept putting in for the 509th at Vincenza. I wanted that tour so badly as my mother's side of the family emigrated here from the Vincenza area.

Kept getting turned down.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#27]

I was in the 3rd Bde infantry barracks right next to the Signal Battalion.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 3:21:41 PM EDT
[#28]

Woot!!! Panthers lead the way
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 3:21:48 PM EDT
[#29]

The trans is the marine
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

True but since it is part of 18th abn corps, and the 18th is fort Bragg, there are lots of units that support the 82nd other than just 82nd peeps like 1st coscom, post mps and such so the numbers are higher than just division guys.  Basically there are more people on Bragg that jump regularly than don’t.
View Quote

You mean Fort “Freedom”. Lol
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#31]
In realitiy comparing divisions doesn’t make much sense as they rarely fight as one these days. A Marine Expeditionary Unit or a Marine Expeditionary Brigade and a BCT would be a better comparison.

I think that the overall infantry units would be rather similar, but I would think that they would diverge quite quickly when comparing the support assets.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You mean Fort “Freedom”. Lol
View Quote

https://carolinapublicpress.org/55209/fort-liberty-divided-views-on-changing-fort-braggs-name/
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

During my Afghanistan deployment in 2004-2005 the CJTF-76 Smaj got pissed at the number of soldiers wearing USMC combat patches. He couldn’t quite order them to change them to Army units but he came damn close.
View Quote

CSM Ashe.

Left his M9 in the shoulder rig on the back of a chair in the DFAC when he got up, my NCOIC discreetly brought it to his office in hopes of garnering favor. I suggested putting it down a portapotty. Fuck him.

He and MG Olson were a fucking soup sandwich.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 3:59:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#35]
The answer is indirect fire. Arty wins the argument.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 4:01:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Bergdahl was with an airborne unit.

View Quote

Yes and how long did he survive alone behind enemy lines?!

Quoted:

After I was at Bragg for about 3 years or so, I kept putting in for the 509th at Vincenza. I wanted that tour so badly as my mother's side of the family emigrated here from the Vincenza area.

Kept getting turned down.
View Quote

I got Vicenza as my first duty station. The pizza flowed like wine.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 4:08:55 PM EDT
[#37]
IIRC bergdhal was not airborne qualified.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#38]

[Not Pictured]
The reservist on the ground crying
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

It was a thing from 2001 til at least 2005. In Afghanistan on my first deployment we were working for the 82nd, our Battalion LNO asked the CJTF-180 Chief of Staff all casual like "what combat patch are we supposed to wear..." his response was "the 82nd of course" and turned to the S-1 and said "make that happen". A few days later a memo came out listing all the attachments and said they were authorized the 82nd patch signed by LTG Vines.
Made sure to put bugs in people's ears on the following deployments and got the same results.
Can't speak for the Guard or Reserve in general but my collection of memos includes a few of those units.
The SF groups may be a little stingier.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Always Marines
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 4:25:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Kind of apples and oranges.  You would drop the 82nd to seize an objective.  You would land 1st MarDiv to seize a country.
View Quote

So wrong.  1st Marine Div couldn't seize a country any more than the 82ND could.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I almost got my mustard stain for Uphold Democracy back in 1994. Jimmy Carter needs to rot in hell for treason for interfering in a military operation. Idiot!
View Quote

I've got an infantry buddy who refers to Jimmy as "the bastard that cost me a CIB". He was on the USS Ranger waiting to air assault in.
Another buddy was with the 82nd, one of the units that was in the air and turned around. Said he saw pictures of the drop zones afterwards and was glad they didn't jump.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yes and how long did he survive alone behind enemy lines?!

I got Vicenza as my first duty station. The pizza flowed like wine.
View Quote

I put in for Thailand, Australia and some other Pacific paradise I forgot the name of and got none of those. I think the Army figured Korea is in Asia and the Pacific so good enough.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Which one has brand new kit and which has hand me downs.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have a buddy that was a Marine Paratrooper that jumped out of the back of OV-10 broncos in 1st Angilco.  What now?
View Quote

Your buddy was a Marine that was trained by the Army so...
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

An Ov10 parachute qual would be sweet!
View Quote

I have 5 jumps from the Bronco and even a ghey certificate authorizing be to wear USMC wings. Obviously I don't and never would.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I put in for Thailand, Australia and some other Pacific paradise I forgot the name of and got none of those. I think the Army figured Korea is in Asia and the Pacific so good enough.
View Quote

Lucky you!

I requested Europe, 99% sure they gave no fucks and were sending me to the 82nd anyway. Ended up being a big group of us going to Italy so I just lucked out.

And then called branch and picked Hood for the next station to be back in Texas. Can't complain about duty stations.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 4:44:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Me and Major Powers are building an ee-light company of fighting men.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Different objectives, equipment, training, theories about how they work.  

Both are kick ass organizations, and I have a fairly well engrained preference for Marines.  

When used together, they are a VERY formidable fighting force.  Just ask Sadam Hussein..oh,wait, never mind...he FAFO...
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 5:09:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It was a thing from 2001 til at least 2005. In Afghanistan on my first deployment we were working for the 82nd, our Battalion LNO asked the CJTF-180 Chief of Staff all casual like "what combat patch are we supposed to wear..." his response was "the 82nd of course" and turned to the S-1 and said "make that happen". A few days later a memo came out listing all the attachments and said they were authorized the 82nd patch signed by LTG Vines.

Made sure to put bugs in people's ears on the following deployments and got the same results.
Can't speak for the Guard or Reserve in general but my collection of memos includes a few of those units.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SOF units really clamped down on it.
There was a time when borrowed personnel wore scrolls, SF, USASOC, etc. combat patches after being deployed with them.

That was totally clamped down on after a while.
Like to the point a Ranger qualified, former Ranger Bn guy from another SOF unit could literally go on target and get in TICs with a strike force from a Ranger Bn,
And be directly told- this does not mean you get to wear a Ranger Bn scroll as a combat patch.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top