Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/14/2022 2:06:23 PM EDT
all the new stuff don't have no sweep wing.

F-22 F35 mUdHeN F-18, F-16 FIGHTING FALCONE!

Does it have to do with Fly By wire, better control computers and getter wing design because we got dem puters now with the fancy softwar?
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#1]
It's the same principle as folding side mirrors on a pickup, just makes it so you can park them closer together.

Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's the same principle as folding side mirrors on a pickup, just makes it so you can park them closer together.

View Quote

brilliant!
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I *think* the answer is that modern simulation modeling and FEA have given engineers the ability to better understand the compromises they're making with a specific wing-shape.

That and combined with new materials science have enabled modern delta wings that do not possess the low-speed tradeoffs of 80's delta wings.  And newer materials further equalize the tradeoff.

....  but, that's a guess.  I have no info.  In for @AeroEngineer
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Wings straight, good takeoff and landing performance.

Wings swept? Going fast and looking cool. Also can be handy for storage on a ship.

The move towards lifting body fuselages, blending the aspects of wings and the rest of the aircraft made such things obsolete. Variable geometry also has an annoying habit of creating very expensive to maintain aircraft.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:12:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I *think* the answer is that modern simulation modeling and FEA have given engineers the ability to better understand the compromises they're making with a specific wing-shape.

That and combined with new materials science have enabled modern delta wings that do not possess the low-speed tradeoffs of 80's delta wings.  And newer materials further equalize the tradeoff.

View Quote

Also...I am dissapointed in the lack of connards on the current Attack turbine aircraft

The mUdHeN Would look much better with cannards
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:14:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Also...I am dissapointed in the lack of connards on the current Attack turbine aircraft

View Quote

They famously did make at least one F-15 with canards. It turned out to be one of the many cases where the juice was not worth the squeeze.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#7]
On defense projects (such as fighters), the contractor needs to build in a bunch of complexity to charge more money, so that the investors can buy boats and islands and stuff.

Back in the old days, that complexity was built into the mechanical design.

In the 21st century, it's easier to build it into the software.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:15:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't do fixed wing aircraft, I do space vehicles only.  But I am a SME on FEA, and yes, for pretty much anything related to things that fly, there is a rabbit hole of specialized finite element analysis that will be used to evaluate design trades.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#9]
The original concept was that wings swept back reduced drag allowing for higher speeds while wings extended allowed for lower stall speeds and tighter maneuvers at low speeds.

I'd imagine there are several reasons for modern fighters moving away from this. Fixed wings can be good for 90%+ of real world situations, newer wing/fuselage designs are more advanced, variable wings are a big maintenance/complexity cost, and I don't think variable wings work well with making aircraft stealth.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:18:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Swept wing goes back to the Messerschmidt Me M262. Helps manage shockwave compression buildup approaching mach 1. Straight wing has higher lift, more drag.

Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:19:07 PM EDT
[#11]
An Su-22 showing off its wings.

Attachment Attached File

It's like I can hear the parts creaking against each other.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Remember back in the day they were going for speed.. but then also realized at some point they needed maneuverability.. also notice that most of those are Mach 2+ capable... so it was just the final evolution in the more faster era.

Now noticed that most of todays modern aircraft are not mach 2 capable.

I think someone crunched the numbers and realized that you dont need mach 2 capable planes for combat.. that and advances in aerodynamics and the need to simplify systems as cost and maintenance control lead to it.

Thats my theory and im sticking too it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:20:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Wings swept? Going fast and looking cool. Also can be handy for storage on a ship.

The move towards lifting body fuselages, blending the aspects of wings and the rest of the aircraft made such things obsolete. Variable geometry also has an annoying habit of creating very expensive to maintain aircraft.
View Quote
Pretty much as stated.  The F8 Crusader had a unique design that of a variable incidence angle of the wing to achieve the same purpose.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#14]
American Bell X5, an upgraded version of the World War II-era German model Messerschmitt P.1101, which was taken from the Luftwaffe at the end of the conflict.
Flying with Secret Nazi Technology - Bell X-5
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#15]
It was all the coke and hair spray. It messed with their minds.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#16]
In short and over simplified...  Variable geometry wings offered the best of all worlds aerodynamically but at a huge weight cost.  Which is why they have fallen out of favor.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#17]
The folding wings allowed the planes to fly low and slow with them open, and fly supersonic with them closed.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:56:46 PM EDT
[#18]
IIRC the B-1 uses a 50 inch Titanium pin for the pivot, you know where most of the world's titanium comes from, right?
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:58:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They famously did make at least one F-15 with canards. It turned out to be one of the many cases where the juice was not worth the squeeze.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

McDonnell Douglas F-15 STOL/MTD
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Does it have to do with Fly By wire, better control computers and getter wing design because we got dem puters now with the fancy softwar?
View Quote

I guess engineering is not your thing, what a relief.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Air Strategy has changed. Statistics over decades showed aircraft were never engaging in combat at the limits of their speed, so range become more of a priority than topend speed. The added weight, complexity, and downtime of swept wings seemed to offer little except improved time to target speed, a benefit negated by improved early warning systems, missiles, and SAM's.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 3:18:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

The FB-111 was one of the first fly-by-wire planes.

I had a Captain as a boss back in the early 1990’s whose FB-111 must have had a wire chafing issue.

Attachment Attached File

One of the stabilators (circled in red) was activating on its own.

Let’s say his FB-111 wanted to roll to the right.

So my boss kept putting in left stick….until there was no more left stick to give.

Then…I guess…that stabilator just sheared off completely.  

The plane rolled over inverted, and that’s when he pulled the ejection handle.

Fun fact #1:  the FB-111 ejects as a capsule

Fun fact #2:  said capsule would usually casually float down to the ground under two chutes, but according to my old boss, the cable for one of the chutes runs down the center strip in the windshield.  As such it is prone to rusting.  So their capsule returned quite hard back to earth under just one chute.  His right seater broke his back but lived.  My old boss also injured his back, and they moved him to C-5’s during Desert Shield/Desert  Storm.

Anywhoooo….

My best guess is that whole swing-wing thing is to have a lower stall speed, so on final approach  the plane is slower.

I would have to look at the Tornado’s “feet”, but I would imagine that landing on the autobahn or on improvised grass runways  was engineered into it as a possibility.  Again, having a lower stall speed or being able to rotate at a lower speed on takeoff saves wear snd tear on the landing gear/tires.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Wings out = good low speed performance.

Wings in/swept back = good high speed performance.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#24]
They figured out how to get most of the benefits with fixed wings later on, and were able to cut out the weight and complexity of having all the hardware needed to move the wings, point pylons straight ahead as the wing moves, etc.  Then they added weight and complexity to other places because why not?
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The fundamental reason is to increase the critical Mach number of the wing when swept to reduce drag.

Everything else is a compromise to accommodate the mechanism.

View Quote

You can do that with a fixed swept wing, but it will have high take off and landing speeds as well as poor low speed maneuverability.  Swing wings allow good low speed handling instead of being a one trick pony.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#27]
The difference is simulation.
With Finite Element Analysis and Computation Fluid Design they are able to make wings that give enough lift at low speed and yet handle supersonic and the transitions.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Fun fact:
The very first microprocessor in the world was designed and made for the wing sweep in the F-14 Tomcat.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Fun fact:
The very first microprocessor in the world was designed and made for the wing sweep in the F-14 Tomcat.
View Quote

I heard somewhere that they showed the guy who defected in a Mig-25 to Japan an F-14 he just straight up said.

"Yeah... The Soviet Union couldn't build something like this."
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 3:52:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
IIRC the B-1 uses a 50 inch Titanium pin for the pivot, you know where most of the world's titanium comes from, right?
View Quote

Correct. It was cooled with liquid nitrogen (or something like that) prior to insertion. It would then expand to fit.
During production of the first B-1B at plant 42 in Palmdale, the pin was inserted upside down! To remove it, the same process was applied in reverse, and, surprisingly, it came out easily.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quite a bit comes from Florida, actually.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
On defense projects (such as fighters), the contractor needs to build in a bunch of complexity to charge more money, so that the investors can buy boats and islands and stuff.

Back in the old days, that complexity was built into the mechanical design.

In the 21st century, it's easier to build it into the software.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Correct. It was cooled with liquid nitrogen (or something like that) prior to insertion. It would then expand to fit.
During production of the first B-1B at plant 42 in Palmdale, the pin was inserted upside down! To remove it, the same process was applied in reverse, and, surprisingly, it came out easily.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember reading about that over 20 years or so ago.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

F-111 Aardvark: A Jet Fighter Assassin

In this video he points out that the F105 was fast AF, but needed over a mile of runway. The F111 could take off from considerably shorter fields.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 7:39:08 PM EDT
[#36]
in the words of Clarkson.

SPEEEEEEED.

no longer done because its basically stupid and impossible to think you can outrun a missile, its better to just be impossible to target.

so fuel economy, stealth and maneuverability took over.

the foldy cool swept wing stuff was a solution that didn't fit reality.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 7:41:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSBzKfXK9Mg
In this video he points out that the F105 was fast AF, but needed over a mile of runway. The F111 could take off from considerably shorter fields.
View Quote

I was never a fan of the F-111 until I heard the fighter pilot podcast episode about it. (Curiously enough their episode on the F-14 killed my last bit of fanboyishness for that aircraft.) They made the 111 sound like a ton of fun. Like the closest thing an Air Force has flown to the Space Cruiser from Rick and Morty.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Add to all that computers helping to fly the plane and keep it stable.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#39]
All other replies are wrong.

Recruitment planning.  Without the Tomcat Top Gun wouldn’t have been. We all know how that movie helped recruitment and ghey volleyball.

Link Posted: 3/14/2022 8:02:17 PM EDT
[#40]
We did it to make the test pilots work harder.

Actual Tomcat test flight.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Swept wings are straight ahead speed
Wings straight out is maneuverability.
The weight and complexity and cost and everything else with the engineering that would move and lock the wing, meant they weren't getting as much bang for their buck.

I specifically thought the F-14 was very heavy as a result of the additional weight.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
We did it to make the test pilots work harder.

https://theaviationist.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/F-14-asymmetric.jpg

Actual Tomcat test flight.
View Quote

Im not pilot but i would think that asymmetrical wings would be harder to steer unless you like circles
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 8:19:37 PM EDT
[#43]
All Pre-fly-by-wire aircraft.  Yes, all of those aircraft had flight computers, but they were more the 'assist' kind.  Current systems have no mechanical controls between the pilot and the flight control surfaces.

Current aircraft designs can be unstable but with flight control computers flying (the pilot just tells the plane where to go with the controls - the 1s and 0s are converted and the flight computer tells the aerodynamic surfaces what to do), you don't need to attempt odd designs like variable wing designs.

Modern aircraft design / simulation / etc are also a contributing factor, along with new vectored thrust technology (F-22); in general I guess you could say 'modern computers' as a general answer.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#44]
We struggled for quite a few years to figure out what the optimal wing design should be. By the late 1950's the everyone started looking at variable geometry, thinking this would be the answer. While it was successful, it was a huge maintenance issue and it doesn't work well with stealth
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Computer augmeted flight controls can now fly closer to the edge of the flight envolope than swing wing planes without the weight of the swing box.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

that and independently digitally controlled flight controls.

The ailerons are no longer connected to each other, same with the elevators / stabilizers and maneuvering automatic slats that are independently controlled.

When that Israeli F-15  lost a wing in a midair ( and the US one in a separate accident with half a wing), it was able to come back and land without a wing because the stabilizer on that side became the independent wing on that side and the other flight controls independently compensated for the change in the center of lift.

Link Posted: 3/14/2022 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I had a Captain as a boss back in the early 1990’s whose FB-111 must have had a wire chafing issue.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369122/FC0BE058-948F-4EAD-BB2A-CF39DE4473F0_jpe-2313252.JPG

So my boss kept putting in left stick….until there was no more left stick to give.

Fun fact #2:  said capsule would usually casually float down to the ground under two chutes, but according to my old boss, the cable for one of the chutes runs down the center strip in the windshield.  As such it is prone to rusting.  So their capsule returned quite hard back to earth under just one chute.  His right seater broke his back but lived.  My old boss also injured his back, and they moved him to C-5’s during Desert Shield/Desert  Storm.

Anywhoooo….

My best guess is that whole swing-wing thing is to have a lower stall speed, so on final approach  the plane is slower.

I would have to look at the Tornado’s “feet”, but I would imagine that landing on the autobahn or on improvised grass runways  was engineered into it as a possibility.  Again, having a lower stall speed or being able to rotate at a lower speed on takeoff saves wear snd tear on the landing gear/tires.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369122/FC0BE058-948F-4EAD-BB2A-CF39DE4473F0_jpe-2313252.JPG

Anywhoooo….

I landed an F-15 with half the right horizontal stabilizer missing. It flew just fine. I didn't even know about it until the post flight.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 9:20:26 PM EDT
[#48]
My two cents on this topic.  I have 1000 hours flying the F/EF-111.  You have to remember the time period (Cold War) and the mission for the aircraft (Long Range Interdiction and Nuclear Strike).  Also remember the engine technology wasn't as advanced as today.  The TF30 was the first after burning turbofan and had it's share of issues.  As each model of engine came out thrust was increased from 10,000Mil/16,000AB to 20,000Mil/25,000AB.  The sweep wing designed allowed an increased bomb load for the thrust available at the time and then the wing swept aft to 72.5 Degrees allowed for a Delta wing configuration.  This allowed for Mach 2.5+ speeds.  The plane could not turn for shit but it would go incredibly fast in a straight line.  I have personally seen Indicated Airspeeds (IAS) faster than 1100 KIAS and Mach above 1.85+.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:59:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:04:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I went to the intermediate avionics tech school for F-111, then was sent directly to Langley just ahead of the first airplane.  I was really hoping for an assignment to Mountain Home with visions of hunting and fishing.  I did not want to go to Thailand.
Fun fact for the rest -

The F-111 crew escape capsule was manufactured in St. Louis by McDonnell Aircraft.  The building is still in use.
View Quote

Didn't know that about the capsule.  Cool fact to know.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top