Page / 10
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#1]
O Chem.

Yg
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Toss up betwen organic chem and DE.

Senior level classes within my major were cake compared to those two.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Stat for Psych II
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What is the hardest class you took in undergrad that you passed?

Was the class a required part of your major?
View Quote
Advanced logic.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Probably the first semester of physics in my ME program. Not because the material was particularly difficult in retrospect, but because it was the first genuinely difficult class I had taken, and it took a while to get my brain to adjust to that mode of thinking.  Luckily I was blessed with a great professor, and the same went for all the calculus classes I took too, all great teachers. I didn’t find diff eq to be particularly difficult.

In terms of raw difficulty of the subject matter, I suppose I might say that the numerical analysis class I took might be up there. Took me a while to really grasp some of those things.

Remember folks, nothing is hard...some things just take longer!
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:54:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
DiffEq, Calc 3 were not bad at all for me. We had to take a Comms class on the math behind signal modulation/encryption etc and an Electric/Magnetic Fields class as part of the EE curriculum. They both really sucked.

It is funny sometimes how course difficulty can vary school to school as well.

We still had do do an assembly language class that incorporated all of that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
DiffEq, Calc 3 were not bad at all for me. We had to take a Comms class on the math behind signal modulation/encryption etc and an Electric/Magnetic Fields class as part of the EE curriculum. They both really sucked.

It is funny sometimes how course difficulty can vary school to school as well.

Quoted:
#1 Computer architecture.  We were doing complex math in Binary, Octal, and Hex. Something I have never done in my entire adult life. Compiler and debugger technologies have made everything in that class obsolete.

#2 Differential equations. Another one I have never used in my entire adult life. I use Trig, Algebra, and Geometry a lot.

Side note, I am pretty good at reading HEX, Octal, and Binary, just don't ask me to do math without my HP 16C
We still had do do an assembly language class that incorporated all of that.
Back in the day, Assembly was considered easy. Try punch cards.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:54:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Advanced literature. 8 week course. 54% on the final and finished with a B.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:55:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine was called engineering analysis and was the math course taken after differential equations.  I am not sure if it was required because it has been thirty years, but I still remember the final exam as it was the longest exam of my experience and the only time I actually used Green's Theorem.  The final exam had three questions and was supposed to last three hours; at the end of the third hour, I had solved one question completely and was working the second hour.  The final was in the evening, so the professor said he would stay if we wanted to keep working on the final.  After three more hours, I had solved the second problem and was stumped by the third problem.

No one else in the class had turned in the exam.  The professor stopped the exam and asked what the issue was.  Most everyone was stuck on the third question, so the professor said he would work through some of it with us.  It had to deal with heat transfer from a cube into the surrounding environment.  So he started.  Finally he said something like, "This problem is not solvable". Exam was over at that point.  Beer was had by all.

I did manage an A for the course.  Not sure how.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#9]
A basic biology course at a junior college during the Summer.

The teacher was of the type that knew people took Summer classes at a junior college because they were easy and wanted to dispel that notion.  So she loaded us up with a ton of classwork.  At one point she started chastising students that complained about the heavy workload.  Something about the real world will load you full of work.

We did the equivalent of 9 course hours.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Jazz History. I wish I was kidding.
I have a degree in computer programming and thought it would be a great blow-off elective that met some humanities requirement. Professor was really really into jazz and made sure you really really hated jazz by the end of class.

Interesting side note, My study partner for that class is now my wife of 14 years.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:00:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Organic chem

i managed a C. I am happy with that.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Either Real Analysis or PDEs.

And yes, I have a math degree.

The hardest class I didn't pass was Cell Biology. The teacher used it as a weed out class for all the fresh bio majors coming in. That class is why I have a math degree.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Diff EQ and Linear Algebra.  Worthless foreign teachers were useless.
View Quote
No shit!  I had a Chinese teacher for Vector Tensor Analyses.  I couldn't understand a thing he said.  One day he was handing back tests, he's calling my name and I have no idea it's me.  I'm just sitting there and finally my buddy says "Hey, I think that's you".  I wouldn't have realized that was my name he was saying in a million years.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Statistics
View Quote
This!!
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Intro to FORTRAN.  Anyone else remember IBM punch cards?

I am old.
View Quote
Maybe

Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Hardest would be gen chem I lab. You see, when Skillshot is bored, he does very, veeeeeery poorly in class. Third time is the charm.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:05:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Some sort of intro chemistry class. That subject did not work with how I think. Ended up taking another physics class in its place. At least for the required computer science / information systems classes was system alalysis and design. There were a lot of recommend classes that I did not have yet that made the class difficult. Also an Art appreciation class kinda kicked my ass. I'm not good at BSing papers.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
O Chem

First day prof pulled the “half of you will fail” line and he followed through with it.
View Quote
Same here.  Organic chemistry sucked.  The professor was brilliant but would have been better as a research chemist that didn't teach.

Genetics was difficult not from the content but because the professor was about 90 years old and mumbled so bad no one could understand her.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Organic Chemistry followed by Differential Equations.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:07:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Differential Equations

I squeaked through it with a D
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Intro to FORTRAN.  Anyone else remember IBM punch cards?

I am old.
View Quote
THEY STILL MAKE US LEARN FORTRAN OMFG
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#22]
MBE 101- Problem Solving and Decision Making. Involved a lot of esoteric concepts and math I'd never done.

I signed up because I thought it would be a good basic business class for a History major to take.

Wrong.

Busted my ass. I got a B+. When the course was over I had a chat with the professor. He confessed to me that the course was
one of the two or three most challenging MBE classes for the major, designed to "weed out" people who weren't serious about
getting a Management Business Economics degree.

Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Organic Chemistry.

Gross Human Anatomy

Pulmonary dynamics 2.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:17:31 PM EDT
[#24]
In a simple sense, any class that I didn't have a textbook for, which was roughly 25% to 30% of my undergraduate classes, in an Aerospace Engineering curriculum.

The reasons for that include:

A) I couldn't afford the textbook. I wasn't on scholarship, and my parents were struggling financiially to keep me in college. Even in the early to mid 1980s, some textbooks were between $100-200 each when new. To compound things, the school changed editions / revisions of those same textbooks very often, so there wasn't much of a used market, because most books weren't current after about a year or year and a half.

B) Availability of same textbooks. Like forecasting the weather, the school might order 100 of a particular textbook, but 150 would have the class, so it was first come - first served.

I ran into some of these same scenarios when my sons were in college, but thankfully now, the internet allowed me to get them the books they needed.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:17:55 PM EDT
[#25]
As an undergrad, organic chemistry and neuroanatomy.  Tons of memorization.   As a dental student it was definitely biochemistry.  Organic chemistry is only the beginning.  The instructor was able to recite the entire phosphorylation cascade from memory and got a standing ovation.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Toss up among DiffEq, Multidimensional Calculus or Control Systems.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:25:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quantum Mechanics. Electromagnetics 1 a close second.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:29:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Public speaking, followed closely by intermediate accounting.  Calc 2 & 3, Diff-eq, and statistical theory were all cake in comparison.  Calc was fun.  I guess that just makes me weird.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:30:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Japanese language and culture.  Teacher's first job and he was trying too hard, ended up requiring something like learning 1000 Kanji in 10 weeks, on top of vocabulary and literature (mostly poetry).  Fought damn hard to get a D-.

Not required for my major, but it did fulfill my language requirement to graduate.
View Quote
I never understood the language requirements to graduate.  I had to have 9 credit hours of a single foreign language (could not take 3 different culture classes).  My three semesters of German has been so helpful to my biology major ass.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Comparative Anatomy

I can’t even remember how humans are similar to lampreys.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Calc II. Hardest C I ever got.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:32:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Control Laws/systems.  I was slacking off in the beginning and then decided it was time to start catching up, but quickly realized I had dug myself too deep and there was no way I was recovering.  Dropped, re-took the class next semester.  Studied my ass off from day one, learned nothing, and have no idea how I passed.  It was one of those classes where almost everyone has a D or worse throughout the semester, and it was rumored that our professor was only teaching us because he was so bad that he was no longer allowed to teach the EE students(we were AE).

The math class after DiffEq was tough too.  I think it started with Fourier transforms and moved on from there?  It's been a long time.  I didn't think any of the math prior to that class was hard, but in that class I always felt like I had missed some very small but critical detail on the first day of class, but could never figure out what it was.

Our Dynamics prof was a hard-ass.  Good guy, one of my favorites, but he made it tough.  I thought I was doing ok in the class, maybe high C or low B going into the final, and wrapped up the class with a D over-all. I didn't like that D, so I took it again the next semester and ended up with a different prof, put in a fraction of the effort, and aced it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Boxing.  Required course.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Accounting 301. 20 hours a week spent outside of lectures on homework, required to get a B in the course and couldn't get less than a B on the two part final in order to earn a B in the course. College uses the course as the gateway to the accounting major. Apparently other universities break the course into two semesters.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Statistics.  The professor was from somewhere in Eastern Europe with horrible English and the worst teaching style I've ever encountered.  It was the only math class I've ever struggled with.

I also never knew until later that "statistics" is a much different class for technical majors versus business and such.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:49:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Statistics...  the math wasnt difficult, but my instructor was drop-dead gorgeous and wore yoga pants exclusively. Being an undergrad at 17 was a challenge, adding in a distraction like that was just cruel. I still passed with a 3.7/4.0.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You just triggered me.  

For me it was H.P. Greist and his red postbox.  Gotta run for now, or I'd find/post the statement.  But I recall a professor's margin comment "poor Greist" in a paper where I went off.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Come to think of it, I disliked my epistemology course.  Some of the papers I really struggled to understand.
epistemology is my happy place most of the time, but then there are the guys like wilfrid fucking sellars:

: An overt or covert token of "This is green" in the presence of a
green item is a Konstatierung and expresses observational knowledge if and
only if it is a manifestation of a tendency to produce overt or covert tokens of
"This is green" -- given a certain set -- if and only if a green object is being
looked at in standard conditions. Clearly on this interpretation the occurrence
of such tokens of "This is green" would be "following a rule" only in the sense
that they are instances of a uniformity, a uniformity differing from the
lightning-thunder case in that it is an acquired causal characteristic of the
language user.
You just triggered me.  

For me it was H.P. Greist and his red postbox.  Gotta run for now, or I'd find/post the statement.  But I recall a professor's margin comment "poor Greist" in a paper where I went off.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:52:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Aeroelasticity

Here is the course description: Structural dynamics of one-dimensional systems. Analysis of static aeroelastic phenomena, unsteady aerodynamics and flutter. Equations of motion for complete aeroelastic systems; solution techniques.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Toss up among DiffEq, Multidimensional Calculus or Control Systems.
View Quote
as a good friend of mine once said:

"i was told that diffyQ would tell the men from the boys.  found out i'm a fetus."
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:03:31 PM EDT
[#40]
87D chess; I don't know, none particularly stand out. One of the EE classes I suppose. That was 40 years or more ago. I thought Fotran was pretty straight forward but yeah, the punch cards sucked. Wait to find an open machine; which wasn't always so easy, then put the box of them in the reader, wait 20 min for your print out and swear because a few typos generated 112 errors. That sucked.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Climbing Mount MotherFucker with everything I owned on my back, an M16, 6 full mags, 2 full canteens, e-tool, helmet, etc.

I passed.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Econ 500 iirc, it was harder than Calc and Physics
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:12:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Data Structures.  Discrete Math  a distant second but even that was HAF.  C's get degrees!
View Quote
I liked that class. Understanding Huffman compression really opens your eyes. I'll agree Discrete Math was up there. I think I got a A- in data structures and a C+ in Discrete.

For me, it was Calc 2. I had a guy who wrote insanely hard tests. They had 2 calculuses, one for everyone and one for math and computer majors, so of course they made it harder. But this class was particularly hard. Class average on the final was a 45 and I got a 47. Half the class was still in there at the 4 hour mark when the exam was supposed to be over.  Got a C+. After that, I said can't do that kind of math so I switched to college of arts and sciences and got a BA in computer science. Same requirements except one less math class so I got to skip either calc 3, linear algebra or differential equations. So I don't have the BS, its a BA in computer science but oh well (still got a minor in math).

#2 Discrete Math, mainly because we had a bad professor.
#3 Theory of Computation, again bad professor
#4 Programming langurages. Not because everything was in LISP, I liked writing recursive code. But that we had to write in LISP on exams.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:19:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Calc 3
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:20:42 PM EDT
[#45]
I had to take calc II twice, but the class I remember struggling with the most was Electromagnetic Field Theory.  Complex equations was exceedingly difficult as well, but it was a 400 level elective to get my math minor and I dropped it a few weeks into the course.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:22:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Organic Chemistry or Genetics. Take your pick. Both sucked.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Calculus - Taught by a guy who wrote illegibly on the blackboard while mumbling with a pipe in his mouth.

Art History - A supposedly easy course, but was taken by majors and humanities-types. I wrote furiously on the exam and thought I did well... Nope. I guess we were supposed to get info from other sources than just the big Janson text. But the slides were great (no body used slides in those days)
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:28:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
hardest class I passed?

calc 3

hardest class failed?

diff eq
View Quote
Was that at Florida?

<------ class of '89

Honestly, with the 200+ student class sizes and TA's that mumbled in Chinese, it was pretty obvious that after you paid your fees, UF Administration didn't really give a shit whether you succeeded or not.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:31:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Developmental Biology.  The university took a full one year course, two semesters, and did it in one semester.  Same amount of information to learn.  What a nightmare.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:32:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
O Chem

First day prof pulled the “half of you will fail” line and he followed through with it.
View Quote
I hate that bullshit.

I had a prof. for Statics & Dynamics who prided himself that typically half the students failed his class. Seriously, if you are that bad at teaching, go do something else. By the time students get to that level, they have already proved they are committed, why go out of your way to be a dick.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top