Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No shit!  I had a Chinese teacher for Vector Tensor Analyses.  I couldn't understand a thing he said.  One day he was handing back tests, he's calling my name and I have no idea it's me.  I'm just sitting there and finally my buddy says "Hey, I think that's you".  I wouldn't have realized that was my name he was saying in a million years.
View Quote
Yeah, I felt your pain, my first try at Statics an American grad student, with an American accent, came in, wrote his name and office # on the board.
He turned around and said, "don't write this down. Your instructor just got off the boat yesterday, he's getting his shots today, he'll be here Friday"

He wasn't joking, why the hell LSU thought it was OK to put a guy that knew about 10 english words and couldn't pronounce any of them,
in charge of a class is something I'll never figure out.  Passed Statics on the next try.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Thermodynamics. Required.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Russian, yes it was required.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Organic chem sucked ...
Applied calculus ...

But the one and only D I ever received in college ... Tree, wood and rock ID ... Goddamit Doc Grafton
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn a lot of math guys in here.  God bless you all.

Russian I & II.  Brutal.  While I never got to use it as initially thought, I married a Russian and for the past 15 years, neither she nor my mother-in-law know I can understand their "private" chats.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:43:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Physical chemistry

I took it as an elective because I loved physics and organic chemistry. It was the hardest and most satisfying "B" I've ever earned. It's also the class that started my love affair with coffee.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#7]
N.C. State, Chemistry 101. It was designed to cut the Freshman class by half. It worked.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Probably biochemistry
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#9]
German .... all four semesters of it!
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Biochemstry from the head of the Biology department at a major research university.

My issue was I said to him -  "Why do I need to memorize all these useless bond angles and draw these structures from memory? You realize these are all based on crystalline structures that do not actually exist in nature at reasonable biologically relevant temperatures?"

I couldn't help myself  - I am all about being right rather then sucking up.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Controls
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:59:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I got a D+ the first took DiffEq, because the Haitian prof spoke a mix of French and English with a heavy bias towards French, his notes diverged from the book and he expected us to have read his published papers in addition to the book and notes.  The papers were in French, so you had to figure out how the equations worked out without any written explanation. He would not stop writing on the board as he asked the TA how to say something in English, then tell us "What he said" and carry on with zero context to where that thought went on the board.

The second time, Italian prof, easiest A ever. The rest of the class hated me as I averaged 98% and they got no higher than 67% on any test. As I turned in the final project before the final, she asked me if I'd had the Haitian the prior semester or how else i knew the subject so well.

I loved chemical engineering exams, 200 points possible, 8 questions of 10 to 40 points each, 2 hours to complete. High score 30, average 12, low 0. You learned to work while the person sitting next to you was crying, and to quickly pick your battles.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 3:03:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Orgo lab was annoying but I still managed an A.

Other than that, cases in financial management was the hardest class during my business degree.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 3:06:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Pick a math class and that would be it.

If not for my former SIL, I woulda failed miserably, but with her tutoring (she has advanced math degrees and made it easier to understand), I made high B's.

What is weird, though, is I made straight A's in statistics.

@linkedm4: I was always told that "Degree" begins with "D".
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I should have included the CS202 programming class (java).  We were given a physically impossible 'final' assignment.  Originally started with a fairly standard program description.  Pretty much everyone had it done and working in a week or two.  Then he kept changing parts of the assignment and adding required elements and structures.  To the point it became literally impossible to code it using all his requirements.  The class wasn't hard at all, it's just the professor was a moron.  All but maybe one person in that class was already a better coder than he was at the beginning of the semester.  That was the class that made me drop my computer programming minor.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I should have included the CS202 programming class (java).  We were given a physically impossible 'final' assignment.  Originally started with a fairly standard program description.  Pretty much everyone had it done and working in a week or two.  Then he kept changing parts of the assignment and adding required elements and structures.  To the point it became literally impossible to code it using all his requirements.  The class wasn't hard at all, it's just the professor was a moron.  All but maybe one person in that class was already a better coder than he was at the beginning of the semester.  That was the class that made me drop my computer programming minor.
View Quote
That actually sounds like a pretty realistic exercise, except you weren’t getting different requirements from different management and unrealistic timelines.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Physics 2. You were supposed to have passed calc 3 before you took it, but I hadn't taken calc 3 yet. Teaching myself differential equations was... unpleasant.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Business law taught by a local lawyer who I had known most of my life. In 16 years of teaching the class, only four students had received As. Even with the notes from one of the A students, I worked my ass off to get a B. I was prouder of that B than any of the As I ever received.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Climbing Mount MotherFucker with everything I owned on my back, an M16, 6 full mags, 2 full canteens, e-tool, helmet, etc.

I passed.  
View Quote
After Mount MF, did you hit the Microwave later in the cycle?
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Diff Eqs. Had a C going into the final, bombed it like a champ, and still somehow got a C in the class.

Thermo-great prof. Easy B, I understood it well.
Calc 3 w/ vector fields-good prof. B with some hard work.
Same with Physics 2, EE classes, etc.
Had a killer prof for Materials. I had a higher grade than my legit genius roommate.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Algorithm analysis or DifEQ.  They both sucked.
View Quote
DiffEQ was def the worst. I have very few memories from that class, but I do get a horrible flashback every now and again...still don't know how I passed.  My prof was a former code breaker for NSA.

Structures was a close second, but I really think that was due to my prof.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#22]
boxing
Yes
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Statistics
View Quote
Only passed it because I took it twice. Only F in college.

My wife’s degree is math. I think she regretted her choice after I struggled in that class.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Music appreciation. Because I never went to class. I think I went 3-4 times. All exam days.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Hardest?  I don't know.

Most fun....maybe rifle shooting.  Seriously, we had a PE class in college on rifle shooting.  Bull barrel .22's.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 7:02:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Human Physiology 101.

The Professor who taught the class was the one who wrote the book. He lectured from memory and knew every page.

Studied for hours for the first exam.   I got a 22/100. Lucky for me he used the bell curve for grading. I got a C on it
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 7:05:42 PM EDT
[#27]
DiffEQ at UGA. It was Math 358.

A math professor said that was one of the hardest undergrad classes in the school.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Statistics, I ended up withdrawing a couple of times so I wouldn't fail and on the third time I made sure I got the easiest professor in the University and I passed that time.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Was that at Florida?

<------ class of '89

Honestly, with the 200+ student class sizes and TA's that mumbled in Chinese, it was pretty obvious that after you paid your fees, UF Administration didn't really give a shit whether you succeeded or not.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
hardest class I passed?

calc 3

hardest class failed?

diff eq
Was that at Florida?

<------ class of '89

Honestly, with the 200+ student class sizes and TA's that mumbled in Chinese, it was pretty obvious that after you paid your fees, UF Administration didn't really give a shit whether you succeeded or not.
yes, it would have been Fall 90 or Spring 91 that I failed diff eq... just resulted in Statistics BA rather than a BS.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:09:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Jazz class.  Seriously.  Teacher must have known half of us non-music kids were taking it as blow offs so he catered it entirely/intensely to the hardcore music kids.  I like jazz so suddenly figured it would be an enjoyable last hurrah before graduating.  Nope, I had to study harder for that than anything, except maybe my basic math course.  
I probably would have done well in a trade or art school.  I did go back and got a Masters.  Not in a field that makes any money though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Thermodynamics.  This class weeded out a lot of students.  UF.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Organic chem sucked ...
Applied calculus ...

But the one and only D I ever received in college ... Tree, wood and rock ID ... Goddamit Doc Grafton
View Quote
Yeah I struggled with organic chem too.  Got through it thanks to a roommate that was good at it.  But my major was horticulture so tree and wood was pretty second nature too me.  Didn't have geology so that wasn't a factor.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Fluid power dynamics. In addition to being a tough class to begin with we had a brand new professor that didn’t speak English.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Med surg 2

Yes

Sucks when 77 is failing and no one scored over an 85. My class did have a 100% NCLEX pass rate so it's not like we were stupid.

Every semester we had to take a dosage calculation test we needed to score a 100 on. One chance to retake.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:19:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Electromagnetic Wave Theory.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:21:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:22:03 PM EDT
[#37]
The ones with professors who spoke English as a fifth language.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Pharmacy for nursing school.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Mass Transport. I've learned more outside of college on this topic than a 3 hr course. Fucking professor did her undergrad, masters and PhD at the same fucking school, never stepping foot off campus into industry. People literally delayed graduation a year to avoid her class. I had no such luxury and passed with a "C".

Theres a reason theres so few chemical engineers...

I'm fascinated there seems to be a significant number on this forum.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Plant Physiology, a mixture of Botany and Biochemistry with a little Organic Chem thrown in for fun.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Intro to FORTRAN.  Anyone else remember IBM punch cards?

I am old.
View Quote
Oh yeah, walking all the way across campus to the only computer lab with the punch cards.

I think Thermodynamics was my toughest, partly because the professor spoke with a heavy German accent that would put you to sleep like a hypnotist.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a masters in social studies education and I hate the word undergrad. 87% of the people who say "undergrad" do so in a pretentious and uppity way because they have an advanced degree. The fact is that most of these same people have a master's in some liberal arts curriculum that is about about as "advanced" as any 400 level course. Props to the 5 year engineering program and other related "undergrad" studies folks in here. Those programs are significantly more difficult.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I got a D+ the first took DiffEq, because the Haitian prof spoke a mix of French and English with a heavy bias towards French, his notes diverged from the book and he expected us to have read his published papers in addition to the book and notes.  The papers were in French, so you had to figure out how the equations worked out without any written explanation. He would not stop writing on the board as he asked the TA how to say something in English, then tell us "What he said" and carry on with zero context to where that thought went on the board.

The second time, Italian prof, easiest A ever. The rest of the class hated me as I averaged 98% and they got no higher than 67% on any test. As I turned in the final project before the final, she asked me if I'd had the Haitian the prior semester or how else i knew the subject so well.

I loved chemical engineering exams, 200 points possible, 8 questions of 10 to 40 points each, 2 hours to complete. High score 30, average 12, low 0. You learned to work while the person sitting next to you was crying, and to quickly pick your battles.

Kharn
View Quote
QFT. My undergrad class had an 80% attrition rate. 100 enter, 20 grads. It fucking sucked donkey balls.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Damn a lot of math guys in here.  God bless you all.

Russian I & II.  Brutal.  While I never got to use it as initially thought, I married a Russian and for the past 15 years, neither she nor my mother-in-law know I can understand their "private" chats.
View Quote
Das vidanya - dog's feet on ya.  That's the limit of my Russian.  Though I was hoping that the Russian collusion thing might expand my vocabulary.  I, for one, would welcome our new Russian overlords.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:46:53 PM EDT
[#45]
For me it was an astronomy class.  I wasn't a math major, and the professor who taught the class was an astrophysicist who was big into math, physics, trig, etc.  His lectures about the solar systems, how stars and solar systems form, black holes, different kinds of stars, chemical stuff about stars atoms etc just glued me to my seat, and all term long he was the only professor who was so interesting, I didn't want to miss a class. But when it came time for the tests, his questions about math, physics, advanced calculus left me in the dust.

I got a very good grade in algebra, but still thought that the abstract parts of algebra bugged me so I took the class a second time, and although I again got a really good grade, I didn't feel like "I got it".  Statistics was easy for me because it was concrete and linear.

In any case, the advanced calculus in the astronomy class made it hard for me to get a passing grade..but I barely did.  He was the only professor in college from whom I accepted a grade less than I wanted because I knew there was stuff in the class I simply didn't comprehend as well as I wanted....but geez he was interesting.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Signals and Systems

It's legendary at UT Knoxville.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Probably differential equations.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Finance 470?
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Dynamics.  Of course I had the worst teacher in the whole engineering department.  Proudest C I ever made.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Geeze this is going back now 23 years. "Theoretical Mechanics" was the hardest class for me as a physics major.

Our final exam consisted of one question; given a jar of molasses and all necessary parameters, and a marble and it's properties, predict the path it take when dropped into the jar of molasses from x height.

We started with 4 people in the class, 2 of us at the end. I passed.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top