Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 1:04:24 AM EDT
[#1]
The very first catalog like that I ever ordered from, maybe ca. 82-83, was called something like Wolf Outdoors. It's kind of an archaic question, because:
1. there were any number like that during that era, and
2. Anything you wanted from them then is probably on Amazon now, but if not, certainly from any number of other .vendors and without the"Please allow 6-8 weeks..." of the 80s
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 1:08:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Things You Never Knew Existed"  by Johnson Smith
View Quote

Holy shit, you just brought back memories. That catalog had all kinds of weird off the wall shit!
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 1:12:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I always got mine at a local pawn shop.

I just assumed that as I aged into adulthood I'd need lots of throwing stars and butterfly knives and Rambo survival knives.

My guy also sold civil war relics, like buttons and bullets and swords and confederate currency. He also sold these itty-bitty little miniature (inert) bombs that were like 3" long, maybe less, that weighed about an ounce. I have no clue what they were. I always assumed they were some sort of military surplus.
View Quote

Those are Lazy Dog Ballistic penetrators.

@arowneragain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazy_Dog_
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 1:13:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I just assumed that as I aged into adulthood I'd need lots of throwing stars and butterfly knives and Rambo survival knives.

My guy also sold civil war relics, like buttons and bullets and swords and confederate currency. He also sold these itty-bitty little miniature (inert) bombs that were like 3" long, maybe less, that weighed about an ounce. I have no clue what they were. I always assumed they were some sort of military surplus.
View Quote

This was right along with expecting quicksand to be a menace.

6-8 weeks was like waiting a thousand years.  First thing I ever ordered was one of those wristwatches that transformed into a robot; had a relative call it in from a TV commercial for me.   It took forever.   Looking back I wonder if it was shipped on a friggin' boat.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 1:13:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I ordered my shitty survival knife out of the back of boys life.
View Quote
I got that too.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 1:14:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I remember ordering some really cool books as a kid out of Paladin Press back in the late 80s and early 90s. I doubt you can buy some of those books now. Probably not the same thing you are thinking of.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 1:18:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Printed ads in the 80s were no match for the surplus stores in NOVA in my youth

Link Posted: 12/5/2020 1:19:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Damn that takes me back.
I remember a magazine like that in ‘85 or so. Climbing claws, caltrops, nunchucks, butterfly knives, all the ninja shit.
View Quote

I came to post about the climbing claws, lol. Who didn't need that shit?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 1:25:13 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

@nickmemphis YES!!!! That's them!

Dude had buckets of them. I should have bought more. I should have kept up with the ones I had.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 1:26:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This was right along with expecting quicksand to be a menace.
View Quote

Yeah. Life sure threw a curve at me there.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 1:27:48 AM EDT
[#11]
My mind goes to budk always, but it's not like they weren't in other magazines too.

Budk is still thriving if you want to get your pot metal on: https://www.budk.com/
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 1:30:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

@nickmemphis YES!!!! That's them!

Dude had buckets of them. I should have bought more. I should have kept up with the ones I had.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/5/2020 1:32:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We got a catalog like that (for some reason) called Shomer-Tec in the mid '90s.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 1:37:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This was my first thought too. Didn't they have liquids and powders that gave an unsuspecting mark the shits or make them puke?
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 1:38:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I had a bull whip till I popped my brother, mom took it away to hide it till we got older, but I never saw it again
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any magazine geared towards boys had all sort of cool sounding junk to buy in the back. Myself, I bought a shity bullwhip from the back of boys life or some scouting magazine. Then we did occasionally get some catalog full of China type junk with fake dog shit and throwing stars but it have no idea what it was called. I suspect there were several versions selling the same stuff.

That bullwhip smelled rotten and fell apart. Some damn how I ended up getting my parents to let me get a real one from the tack shop because I was Indiana Jones since I was to old to be Lion-O anymore.

I had a bull whip till I popped my brother, mom took it away to hide it till we got older, but I never saw it again

I had a bullwhip.  I nailed a wasp off the tip of an exposed nail with one crack once. It was awesome.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 1:39:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Seriously I couldn't even begin to estimate reasonably accurately how many pulp mail order catalogs I used to get in the eighties with shit like throwing stars and Rambo knife knockoffs, and Romanian mess kits, and newly discovered WW2 Yugoslavian hammocks and all that. Good luck trying to narrow that genre down OP.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 1:41:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Brigade Quartermaster is still around, but there must have been 87 others in that genre lost in the dustbin of history.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 1:43:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I just went to the flea market.  Or grand junction back when london bridge trading company was a tiny storefront.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 1:46:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shomer-Tec is still around, I believe. I loved it, a mix of private investigator gear and prank stuff, lol. I used to get my Choate “letter openers” from them.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 9:10:08 AM EDT
[#20]
I bought that stuff at the flea market and some in comics.  Remember the blowgun ads?

Link Posted: 12/5/2020 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Blackbelt Magazine
View Quote

this,  remember the ads for Chunk Norris jeans?
The knife store in the mall had all kinds of ninja shit. God damn, I can still smell the Tender Box and taste the Orange Julius.......
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 9:38:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Nunchucks, throwing stars, the ninja headbands, fuckin Rambo knives and Bowie knives, machetes, pipe bombs made from empty Co2 cartridges stuffed with match heads, setting fire to any and everything, throwing spray paint cans into the burn barrel, jungle boots and old faded BDUs, and don’t forget sling shot and BB gun wars. Goddamn I loved my childhood!
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 9:42:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Brigade Quartermasters had that stuff
View Quote
That was my goto as a kid. It was hard to place an order though because there was no direct payment back then and I would never ask my mom to stroke a check...too many questions.

I finally managed to get a awesome blow gun, complete with target and hunting darts, at the Pennsauken Mart in NJ.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#24]
SMKW - Smokey Mt Knife Works?

Atlantic Cutlery?
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Parallex?
View Quote

That’s what was in my house. I think my dad ordered plans for the Ruger 10/22 Exotic Weapon System.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 9:45:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Atlanta Cutlery?
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hell yeah man. With the screw on compass at the end? Take if off and you could access your survival kit(matches)!

Good times lol. I spent all my $ as a kid ordering stupid shit off the back of that magazine
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Bud k
Weapons universe
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 10:50:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Hell yeah man. With the screw on compass at the end? Take if off and you could access your survival kit(matches)!

Good times lol. I spent all my $ as a kid ordering stupid shit off the back of that magazine
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the one, complete with "survival saw" made out of a piece of wire lol.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 10:51:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Thankfully one of my buddies got one of those piece of shit survival knives before I could order one, wound up with a East German AK bayonet instead for $10.

I wanted a slingshot (already had air guns) for raising hell, and knew my parents were going to have questions.  So I snuck over to the sporting goods department on a trip to K-mart, bought one, and jammed it down my pants.  It was a long couple of hours before we got home with that damn folding wrist rocket poking me in the balls.

Kids no have no clue what it's like to wait 8 weeks for something.

Aimless has to be flippering off about this thread right now.  

Link Posted: 12/5/2020 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#31]
@Zakk_Wylde_470

Still kickin...  https://www.shomer-tec.com/
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 10:57:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The knife store in the mall had all kinds of ninja shit. God damn, I can still smell the Tender Box and taste the Orange Julius.......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Blackbelt Magazine

Hell yeah, brother!!!
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 10:57:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That’s what was in my house. I think my dad ordered plans for the Ruger 10/22 Exotic Weapon System.
View Quote

And the AR-7 collapsible stock kit and handguard.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Johnson-Smith Catalog but that was more gag stuff. I used to love ordering nickel and dime stuff back in the 70's because that was all I could afford.
View Quote

I loved Johnson Smith. I've still got one of their catalogs from like 1978. Somewhere I've still got a 2 headed nickel I ordered from them. Now back in those days I had to get father to send a check, after filling out the order form. And wait 6 to 8 weeks. That was joyous torture waiting.  At about the 6 week mark run home every day from school to check mail. Good times.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This was my first thought too. Didn't they have liquids and powders that gave an unsuspecting mark the shits or make them puke?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yeah they had all kinds of useful stuff like that

Quoted:
Quoted:

Shomer-Tec is still around, I believe. I loved it, a mix of private investigator gear and prank stuff, lol. I used to get my Choate “letter openers” from them.

Quoted:
@Zakk_Wylde_470

Still kickin...  https://www.shomer-tec.com/

That's awesome, I might have to order something for nostalgia's sake
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Brings bag memories of ninja, gung ho, sof, and all the cool magazines of the 80’s!

When paladin press had their closing sale I bought every book I ever wanted as a kid

Need more shurkens too
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#38]
All of it was for sale by the table full at gun shows in the 80's.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:So I snuck over to the sporting goods department on a trip to K-mart, bought one, and jammed it down my pants.  It was a long couple of hours before we got home with that damn folding wrist rocket poking me in the balls.
View Quote

I did this with fishing lures. I'd go to Sporting Goods and buy a few lures - the cheap stuff, of course - and put it in my jacket pocket until I got home.

Link Posted: 12/5/2020 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Interdasting.  It's on Amazon.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had one too. Took me a week of walking around town picking up cans like a homeless person because my mom didn't think I needed one. Then her friend thought it was cool, said somwthing like "this is what we did when I was a kid" and flipped it into the ground. Hit a rock when she did it and CURLED the tip of the blade. Then the bitch put ot back in the sheath hoping I wouldn't notice.

How bad of steel does a knife have to be made of to not only curl the tip when it hits a rock, but not break when you try to straighten it out? I honestly think the ones Harbor Freight sells foe $9 are a better knife.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I had one too. Took me a week of walking around town picking up cans like a homeless person because my mom didn't think I needed one. Then her friend thought it was cool, said somwthing like "this is what we did when I was a kid" and flipped it into the ground. Hit a rock when she did it and CURLED the tip of the blade. Then the bitch put ot back in the sheath hoping I wouldn't notice.

How bad of steel does a knife have to be made of to not only curl the tip when it hits a rock, but not break when you try to straighten it out? I honestly think the ones Harbor Freight sells foe $9 are a better knife.
View Quote

The Morakniv knives that sell for $8 to $25 now are far and away superior knives to the $10 Rambo survival knives of yesteryear.

Link Posted: 12/5/2020 11:47:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Brigade quartermasters ?
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 11:58:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Sounds very BudK
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/5/2020 12:00:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
As mentioned, I was going to say AWMA (Asian World of Martial Arts) and BudK.
View Quote

Did either have the special ninja shoes that helped you climb walls??
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#48]
we had a giant Flee market that would have many booths with all this stuff. I used to get stars and throwing knives on a Sunday morning, go out to the woods with my friends, lose them, then ride our bikes back to get more.  We were like 12 years old

I REALLY miss the 80s
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
That was my goto as a kid. It was hard to place an order though because there was no direct payment back then and I would never ask my mom to stroke a check...too many questions.

I finally managed to get a awesome blow gun, complete with target and hunting darts, at the Pennsauken Mart in NJ.
View Quote

I came to add Delta Press but I know the Pennsauken Mart.  All catalogs aside, the Mart brings back memories!  I can’t believe I’m not the only person who remembers that place. Used to go with my grandmom to the Italian place for bread and meat but we would wander the mart for 2 hours first. Great memories.  Sketchy fried seafood, but great memories!
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are Lazy Dog Ballistic penetrators.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/468293/lazy-1715530.jpg
@arowneragain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazy_Dog_

.50 BMG penetrator is what it looks like to me , slightly modified.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top