BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Non-metric units of measurement makes my head hurt. Ounces, gallons, pounds, WTF do any of these words mean?

View Quote
It means we had dudes walking around on the moon.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 4:44:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My favorite are the fat guys with a gallon of ice tea.
View Quote
The sweet stuff.  With the sugar spontaneously crystallizing out of suspension at the bottom.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 5:33:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I wear one of these all day. It carries 1000oz of water and my survival gear. Your jug can't do that.

http://www.utahoutside.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Osprey-Raptor-1-480x640-e1369327527499.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That was on Fort Hood.  The post CSM prohibited it and wanted everyone to walk around with 12oz bottles in their pockets. On fort Hod...in 100+ degrees with 99% humidity...with half the buildings on post gutted with few water fountains to refill....

Yeah, we just continued to carry around gallon jugs anyway.

Its incredibly hard for me to imagine anybody criticizing anybody for something like drinking or carrying too much water.  Im constantly drinking water all day long.  I'd much rather make fun of the 75% of the US population that is chronically dehydrated, or the 80% that aren't in decent shape at all.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Since the 80s I've frozen gallon jugs of water and drank from them thru out the day
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#6]
When I have to walk to the main shop to get to the fountain, I just bring my water with me.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Some of you are saying it has been around for years, but I've only seen it pop up around here in the last year.
As I mentioned, they are not even drinking that much out of the jug.
I go all night with a few sips from the fountain, and about 4 cups of coffee.
Oh, I want to add that I'm not making fun of anybody.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Some of you are saying it has been around for years, but I've only seen it pop up around here in the last year.
As I mentioned, they are not even drinking that much out of the jug.
I go all night with a few sips from the fountain, and about 4 cups of coffee.
Oh, I want to add that I'm not making fun of anybody.
View Quote
Gallon jugs take time to finish.  Its a lot of water.

If you are getting by on that little water you are seriously dehydrated and should look into fixing it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Lol....have you ever been walking in a parking lot in July and been "pulled over" by some clown in a car complete with lights and sirens, only to find out it's this guy and he's detaining you because you have too much water on your person?

Yeah, it's a real thing, at least used to be.

Quoted:
I wear one of these all day. It carries 1000oz of water and my survival gear. Your jug can't do that.
Ive seen so many cases of bacterial infections from camelbaks I only use them as emergency water in my pack when im in the field/deployed.  They are actually pretty hard to keep clean consistently.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yea or spending 15+ hours a day in the 90 degree heat.
View Quote
Glad to see a few others actually work

A gallon of spring water is cheaper than a 20oz of toilet water and lasts most of or all of a day. If you don't understand get out of your cubical and labor for a day.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Several guys at work are always carrying and drinking water from a gallon jug.
Thing is, they may drink an inch or two of the water, so its not like they are drinking the whole thing.
I just go to the water fountain when I want a drink.
View Quote

Doesn't sound like you have a very important job.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I just have a 100oz bladder in my backpack. Hands free, I don't know why people don't use those more often instead of jugs.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:54:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just have a 100oz bladder in my backpack. Hands free, I don't know why people don't use those more often instead of jugs.
View Quote
Used them in the military and I don't plan on ever using them again.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Bro,

Bro?

BRO!

Do you even lift?!?
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:56:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Who the hell drinks that much water in one day anyways.
View Quote
I do...most days I drink 1.5 to 2 gallons depending on my workouts.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:02:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Guess I never saw it as a trend. We all did it 5+ years ago when working out at the base gym. Part of it was simply not having to constantly fill your water up....you could always find a place to piss but finding a spigot wasn't always easy. Plus you could fill it up with good filtered water.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:15:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Perhaps the metrosexuals are playing at framing carpenter now instead of lumber jack
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:04:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ive seen so many cases of bacterial infections from camelbaks I only use them as emergency water in my pack when im in the field/deployed.  They are actually pretty hard to keep clean consistently.
View Quote

Maybe on deployment, but at home? After use fill with hot water and add some bleach.  Empty and rinse before use.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:10:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Maybe on deployment, but at home? After use fill with hot water and add some bleach.  Empty and rinse before use.
View Quote
If you use it all the time you aren't going to clean and dry it regularly enough to be sanitary.  If you use one every day are you going to clean it every day?

How many other water sources do you use that keep residual old water in it, and stay wet until you decide to clean and dry it?
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#21]
When I used to work outside in the summer, I used to bring a gallon of water with me, and usually drink the whole thing. Sometimes two gallons.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:21:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I would rather see someone drinking from a gallon jug of water in a milk gallon container than someone drinking from a $40 jug to hold water. The problem with the US is they have lost sight of using what you have, to save a little. Most seem to like to be seen with the most in water or coffee container and have no respect for those that don't care.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:26:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
One gallon is roughly equivalent to 2.54 Farvas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Non-metric units of measurement makes my head hurt. Ounces, gallons, pounds, WTF do any of these words mean?

One gallon is roughly equivalent to 2.54 Farvas.
You are terrible at math.

4  Farvas is about 1/2 bottle of pancake syrup over a gallon.

Txl
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you use it all the time you aren't going to clean and dry it regularly enough to be sanitary.  If you use one every day are you going to clean it every day?

How many other water sources do you use that keep residual old water in it, and stay wet until you decide to clean and dry it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know what conditions are like in a combat zone. I imagine chlorine bleach may be hard to come by and it probably is tough to keep clean in those conditions.

But at home?  Water bottles get just as funky if you are lazy about cleaning them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:31:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I always take a gallon with me to the range/match. Whole lot easier than carrying around 20 bottles.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:33:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I always freeze a 1/2 gallon before going to the range, then fill with tapwater.....  

gives me a nice cold drink all day....   been doing it a hell of a lot longer than 

crossfit/hipsters/et al. 
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:34:07 PM EDT
[#27]
GD fitness thread delivers as always 
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:38:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I fill my 16oz mug 8 times a day.

I should get a jug.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:42:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I went from the imperial system to metric,  I still get confused sometimes.  US gallon is about 3.8 liters I think though.  Only thing that I like is Fahrenheit, it allows fine tuning for temperature.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I don't know what conditions are like in a combat zone. I imagine chlorine bleach may be hard to come by and it probably is tough to keep clean in those conditions.

But at home?  Water bottles get just as funky if you are lazy about cleaning them.
View Quote
I can throw a nalgene water bottle in the dishwasher.  I can literally do that every night.

I dont have to soak it, scrub it, clean out the tube and bite valve, and then hang dry it overnight and hope the moisture is all gone.   Thats why nobody does it regularly, and bacteria builds up, stateside or not.

Or...I can buy a gallon water jug every morning and not worry about any of this.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:47:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That dude has eye-liner on......
View Quote
He used to wear colored contacts too.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 1:11:11 AM EDT
[#32]
You guys are busting OP's balls because carrying a gallon jug is a good idea, and fitness dudes and blue collar workers have done it a long time.

However...

It really was a trend, faded here a year ago.  You couldn't take a college class without seeing a bunch of college girls carrying a gallon jug into Women's Studies 101, while they actually drank a (diet) Monster or all the S-1 clerks in the Reserve dragging an untouched gallon to the SHARP briefing.

It is a smart thing and it was a dumb fad.

Both true.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 2:28:40 AM EDT
[#33]
My prefered water container for the gym is a half-gallon jug. On my longer workout days I can pretty easily drink the whole thing before I'm finished. Carrying a gallon jug doesn't seem outrageous to me at all if you're likely going to drink most of it.

I work in commercial roofing and many of the crewmen carry gallon water jugs to work every day. They generally consume at least a gallon of water every day too, and on the hot days that may only get them to lunch. For the guys who like cold water (I prefer warm) they can freeze the jug into a solid block and drink cold water from it all day as it melts.

You can get a gallon jug of drinking water at Walmart for about 68 cents. A 20oz. bottle of water at the gas station will cost you at least $1.50. I don't see the problem here....
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 2:42:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who the hell drinks that much water in one day anyways.
I fill my 40oz water bottle at least 3 times a day. At least. Some times I fill it 5 times a day.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 3:03:11 AM EDT
[#35]
I buy gallon jugs for economical reasons. 20oz bottle of water is $1.75.... a gallon .79 cents. I drink a 1/2 gallon everyday least. YES I know what comes out of the faucet.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 3:12:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Thing is, they may drink an inch or two of the water, so its not like they are drinking the whole thing.
View Quote

hardly a new trend.  20+ years ago when I started working I used to do the same.  first did it on a construction crew, than a factory.

I probably should do it at my current job, as my well water is 87,000 times better tasting than the city water at work.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 4:23:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Not CrossFit, more like a I work in SE GA and have to wear boots pants and a jacket regardless of whether it's 50 degree winter or 100 degree summer.

Usually takes me 2 days to kill a jug. If I'm in the office more and not out and about then I'll stick to my nalgene.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 4:37:45 AM EDT
[#38]

Gym rats need piss jugs for their big rigs?
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 4:51:47 AM EDT
[#39]
I just clicked on this to see why a thread about drinking from a water jug was running four pages.

I'm a 55-year-old veteran with a four year degree who's lived in six different states in environments from nastiest inner-city to hillbilly rural.  I don't think I've ever once seen somebody toting around a gallon jug to drink from.

Link Posted: 9/27/2017 6:46:54 AM EDT
[#40]
I take a gallon of water with me to work every day, I'm stuck in a machine for 8+hrs and it's easier than a bunch of small bottles. I always finish it before I pack up and head home.

Would be rather odd if you work in an office..
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 6:48:49 AM EDT
[#41]
It is possible to over-hydrate and die......just sayin.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 7:36:15 AM EDT
[#42]
We need to be asking the important questions here. Like when is Ozark Trail going to release a 1 gallon Yeti Rambler knockoff for about $20?
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:03:01 AM EDT
[#43]
I had no idea this was even a thing. I have a gallon jug at my desk. I use it because it gives me a visual goal. I try to drink a gallon of water during the day. I find I don’t drink as much water if I drink from quart bottles.  Ymmv.

And no, I don’t CrossFit or pay to workout at a gym.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:09:39 AM EDT
[#44]
People have been doing it around here for as long as I can remember
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:26:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Bro, ya gat to dink lotz o weter o get crampz from the creeoteen. Fur reelz

The WT gym rats have been doing that here for 20 years.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:44:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

It’s another isolated millennial fad.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:47:18 AM EDT
[#47]
https://target.scene7.com/is/image/Target/16752338?wid=520&hei=520&fmt=pjpeg

Voss glass bottle. 800ml or so. 2x a day. Easy to clean lasts forever. Until you drop it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:52:02 AM EDT
[#48]
I've been doing that since around 2004-2005 because I'm too lazy to walk to a drinking fountain a dozen times per day.

Did I just become cool?
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:58:17 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm a relatively bigger guy, 6'4" at 220. I drink a lot of water everyday, close to 2 gallons. I've tried the whole gallon jug deal just so I didn't have to keep filling up the smaller bottles, but it is a PITA to drink from. The handle is not sturdy enough to maintain its integrity when the jug is tipped upside down.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You are terrible at math.

4  Farvas is about 1/2 bottle of pancake syrup over a gallon.

Txl
View Quote
Sorry, I was thinking about the Imperial Farva.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top