Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:21:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I buy a crap ton of their double sided automotive tire impact sockets....

Union makes me buy tools for my tire techs and those are actually pretty good...

Snap-on / Milwaukee / Ingersoll & Rand for every thing else.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:21:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My order says completed, but I'm not sure if that means they've shipped.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/162367/Bottom-829001.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/162367/Top-829000.jpg
View Quote
God those pics suck.  The blue is way darker and better in person.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:36:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
$7 air brush hooked up to a 15 year old Walmart compressor. $0.50 acrylic paints from Walmart and my daughter and I painted her foam free flight gliders.
View Quote
@1BMF

Have you gone down into the Dollar Tree foam Flitetest.com rabbit hole yet?  Don't, because you two will love it, lol.

On the Harbor Freight note, man, they've come a long way.  15 years ago everyone would laugh if we bought anything from there.  They have a great business model, and I'm contemplating investing in them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:46:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

@1BMF

Have you gone down into the Dollar Tree foam Flitetest.com rabbit hole yet?  Don't, because you two will love it, lol.

On the Harbor Freight note, man, they've come a long way.  15 years ago everyone would laugh if we bought anything from there.  They have a great business model, and I'm contemplating investing in them.
View Quote
DAMNIT........
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:53:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Nothing.  I don’t buy made in china
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:57:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:58:20 AM EDT
[#7]
He doesn't have a phone. Or TV. Or computer.

Or...
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:59:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
So, no electronic devices?  No computer?  Cell phone?  Car with EFI?  LED light bulbs?  etc?

Link Posted: 2/3/2019 1:08:46 AM EDT
[#9]
ATV winch rope
Utility scissors
Pair of work gloves
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 1:48:38 AM EDT
[#10]
3500 Inverter generator.

Quiet as hell compared to my old Coleman

Only has 1 hour break-in on it so far. So we'll see how long it lasts.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:53:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I went in to buy a blue tool box but bought the black when I saw it wasn’t the lighter blue.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 3:04:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Bought a HF Ames infrared thermometer today with a coupon for $17.77, about $9 off.

Seems to work.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 3:31:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Cost around $17 with 20% coupon. Used it to remove and install barrels.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 4:32:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I went in to buy a blue tool box but bought the black when I saw it wasn’t the lighter blue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh god, really?   If it was the blue in those pics, I would have gotten the red or the black.  The blue in person is a nice dark royal blue.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 5:18:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
One of these tool carts. Handy little thing for around the garage when the rustang is getting some love.

Attachment Attached File
View Quote
Been wanting to get one of these as well. Although, I’m debating whether it’s worth the additional expense over their 4 Drawer version...

With the current coupons. It’s $170 for the 5 drawer vs. $108 for the 4 drawer. Seems like you’re not giving up all that much by spending $60 less. Really kicking myself because I passed on the 4 drawer during Black Friday when it was only $89
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Been wanting to get one of these as well. Although, I’m debating whether it’s worth the additional expense over their 4 Drawer version...

https://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/6/4/64096_W1.jpg

With the current coupons. It’s $170 for the 5 drawer vs. $108 for the 4 drawer. Seems like you’re not giving up all that much by spending $60 less. Really kicking myself because I passed on the 4 drawer during Black Friday when it was only $89
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One of these tool carts. Handy little thing for around the garage when the rustang is getting some love.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/39329/29532A45-6C75-47B3-9719-019A9B17FC76_jpeg-831052.JPG

https://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/6/4/64096_W1.jpg

Keep your eyes out. I got the 5 drawer one for $139 at a sidewalk sale.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Today's haul.....

Link Posted: 2/3/2019 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks! Fortunately, I’m not in a huge rush. Since I’m also looking to build/buy a new workbench, I’ve been thinking about doing what someone else mentioned in this thread. Throwing a wood top on a couple of these...

I don’t really need the cart(s) to be mobile. So the above route might be the better use of space in maximizing storage. Of course, it’d be more money...but would kill two birds with one stone.

——

And, to actually add something to this thread, I picked up some items today at the local HF. Decided to do go back to doing my own oil changes. Sick of paying $100-ish bucks for a shop to do it. So, I went and snagged the following for our Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk:

21 pc. 1/2” drive socket set
I’ll get some use out of it, but I primarily needed it for the freaking 24mm fastener on the oil filter. Much easier to change filters on top of the engine, but did Jeep really need to use such an obscure size???

9 pc. socket extension set
Genuinely had a greater need for these. Takes care of 1/4”, 3/8”, and 1/2”.

1/2” Click Torque Wrench
The oil change shops may not care about getting the right torque, but I do. Will also come in handy for other projects.

All-in, with coupons, I spent just over $40. All the parts have a lifetime warranty. So, no need to worry about them breaking. The funny thing is, the OEM oil, OEM filter, and all these tools still cost me less than it would have been at the shop.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

@1BMF

View Quote
How do you invest in a privately held company?
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 8:41:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Thanks! Fortunately, I’m not in a huge rush. Since I’m also looking to build/buy a new workbench, I’ve been thinking about doing what someone else mentioned in this thread. Throwing a wood top on a couple of these...

https://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/6/4/64162_I.jpg

I don’t really need the cart(s) to be mobile. So the above route might be the better use of space in maximizing storage. Of course, it’d be more money...but would kill two birds with one stone.

——

And, to actually add something to this thread, I picked up some items today at the local HF. Decided to do go back to doing my own oil changes. Sick of paying $100-ish bucks for a shop to do it. So, I went and snagged the following for our Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk:

https://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/i/m/image_25201.jpg
I’ll get some use out of it, but I primarily needed it for the freaking 24mm fastener on the oil filter. Much easier to change filters on top of the engine, but did Jeep really need to use such an obscure size???

https://shop.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_20386.jpg

https://shop.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_25923.jpg
1/2” Click Torque Wrench
The oil change shops may not care about getting the right torque, but I do. Will also come in handy for other projects.

All-in, with coupons, I spent just over $40. All the parts have a lifetime warranty. So, no need to worry about them breaking. The funny thing is, the OEM oil, OEM filter, and all these tools still cost me less than it would have been at the shop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

——

https://shop.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_20386.jpg

https://shop.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_25923.jpg
1/2” Click Torque Wrench

For your oil change torque specs - I'd use a 3/8 drive torque wrench.  The oil drain torque is not very high and will likely be on the lower end of the scale on a 1/2 torque wrench.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm starting to see a LOT of tools at HF that are also sold by Tekton.

Almost the same prices as well.  I have seen several items in the Pittsburg Pro line, and the new "Quinn" line - that are damned near identical products and packaging as Tekton.

Such as:

Link Posted: 2/4/2019 1:06:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
@1BMF

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$7 air brush hooked up to a 15 year old Walmart compressor. $0.50 acrylic paints from Walmart and my daughter and I painted her foam free flight gliders.
@1BMF

@StevesZZ5

Oh yeah I watch their YouTube channel and have looked at their website. I have a box of servos/receivers/esc’/motors from the foam airplanes I’ve wrecked.

I’ve got my first rc plane that’s 18 years old. It’s a balsa trainer made by Hangar 9 called the solo strike. It was originally gas powered and I spent hours trying to get the nitro engine to run right in the early 2000’s. It had a problem with the fuel tank foaming up and the engine quitting after a few minutes. Gave up on it but kept it. Ten years later after college I dug it out of my fathers garage and recovered it and converted it to electric. It flew pretty well but a single servo for ailerons was a little week.

I tracked down two more full solo strike arf kits on eBay and electronics to build them electric. Just been too busy to get them done. No time to fly them, but will eventually.

Originally looked like this

Here she is after the rebuild and conversion

Had a lot of fun with this one but sold it to pay for flying lessons.

Even put a bomb on it that would release on demand

Put a new motor in this thing and it would do 100+mph. Did a full speed inverted pass at 5’ and it got away from me. Really wasn’t much left after that.

Also had an electric ducted fan F-15 Eagle. It flew great. Right at rotation on take off it sucked up a rock which blew all the blades off the ducted fan. Motor rpms spiked which burned it up. Engine failure and 100% loss of thrust immediately after takeoff was hilarious for an rc plane and terrifying as an actual pilot. It went through a metal fence and was a total loss.

Maybe next year I’ll get something in the air.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 1:10:11 AM EDT
[#24]
I got the omni pro 220 welder. Works great for MIG on steel. Just getting started TIG welding steel and stainless with it. DO NOT get it if you want to TIG aluminum. Whoopsie...
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 1:14:35 AM EDT
[#25]
AAA batteries
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 1:15:26 AM EDT
[#26]
LOVE the series 2 tool boxes!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 3:23:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Titanium drill bits, Hardy mechanics gloves and Nitrile gloves and a free multimeter.
Free multimeter was inspired by the Worst Christmas Present thread where the guy only got free stuff from Harbor Freight.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 5:05:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

For your oil change torque specs - I'd use a 3/8 drive torque wrench.  The oil drain torque is not very high and will likely be on the lower end of the scale on a 1/2 torque wrench.
View Quote
I appreciate the advice!

I bought the 1/2” due to the stupid oil filter needing a 24mm socket. The only 24mm socket they had was in a 1/2” drive set. I suppose I could have looked for a 3/8 to 1/2 converter, but figured it would be OK. Both the filter and plug call for about 20 ft/lbs. The torque wrench range is 10-150 lbs. So, definitely on the low end.

I realize it may not be 100% at that range, but my primary concern is that the plug isn’t too loose. Even with a little margin of error, there’s no way I exceed what the quick change shops hit with their impacts.

I fastened, backed off, and then refastened a couple times with the drain plug (I didn’t use the torque wrench to un-fasten). Just wanted to make sure it took an adequate amount of effort to break loose. Felt good enough for me, with the added peace of mind that it’s unlikely to be notably overtorqued.

I am a little OCD ...so I plan to do a calibration test tomorrow in that 20lb range. Just to get an idea of how close it truly is.

Again, I appreciate the input and may just go out and buy one of the 3/8 versions later this week. At $10 it’s not a huge investment.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Can you provide a link of model number please?

Thanks.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 12:48:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
OK, actual machinists what do you think of this one, its at least a r-8 taper, but its no bridgeport either, is it enough to do light work like lowers? or even at say a grand with a 20% coupon is it still shit?  I have a smithy 1240 that I have to get up and going but I would still like a manual machine around, and will probably just buy a bridgeport or clone.  But still would like some feedback on this machine.
View Quote
I can't see why it wouldn't work with an 80%.  Just have to treat it like anything else Chinese.  Take it apart, clean it up, put it back together and adjust everything.  Then like any mill, get it leveled/trammed and square up your work.  I have already ordered $600 worth of tools and accessories to go with it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Also curious. This and the table lathe look a lot like the grizzly versions of the same. I would love to have both if they were up to par for basic tasks. It seems the lathe at least gets good reviews as long as you understand what it can do with the small size.

I have a bizarrely specific life goal to learn enough wecsog machining to be able to build a modern welrod clone from scratch other than maybe the barrel and magazine.
View Quote
I have also had their 7" mini lathe for years.  Great for small stuff.  Recently picked up a 8x16" lathe off of eBay that has a 38mm spindle.  It needed some love, but is perfect for barrel work.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#33]
My wife bought this for me for our anniversary this weekend.  Holy smokes is it fast.  What would take me 10 minutes with a chop saw took 50 seconds.

Link Posted: 2/4/2019 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#35]
I bought the 20-ton hydraulic press a few weeks ago, using a coupon.  I think I paid about $130 for it.
On assembling it, I found out that they gave me one box of 20-ton parts and one box of 14-ton parts.
I went back to the store, and they were very apologetic and said that they were going to be more careful when unloading the truck.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Do they have wheel dollies worth a damn?
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 3:07:44 PM EDT
[#37]

Under $4 with coupon, now I can see those #22 hooks.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Just bought the chainsaw chain sharpener.  Holy crap how did I live without this?  I have 4 chains got the all razor sharp in a few minutes....faster than I could file ine of them
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 11:44:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Just bought the chainsaw chain sharpener.  Holy crap how did I live without this?  I have 4 chains got the all razor sharp in a few minutes....faster than I could file ine of them
View Quote
Link?
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 11:49:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Link?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link?
Woops, sorry.

https://www.harborfreight.com/electric-chain-saw-sharpener-61613.html
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 11:51:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Whole bunch of batteries and I got one of the rifle cases.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 2:21:06 PM EDT
[#43]
The 5 drawer carts are going on sale again.

Edit for actual coupon

Link Posted: 2/5/2019 2:46:48 PM EDT
[#44]
The tiny chop saw. Bought it to convert spent .223 into 300BO brass. Works like a charm.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#45]
I might be slow, but I found out about the lifetime warranty on hand tools today.

I broke my 2.5lb dead blow hammer today(I think because it was cold) and stopped off to replace it.  The cashier told me to bring it in because it has a warranty like all of their other hand tools. I bought a wobbly extension set for $16 in celebration. LOl
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 8:09:54 PM EDT
[#47]
I wish the toolbox green was more of a forest then lime, but may have to get more anywa

the smaller rolling chest is coming soo in all colors as well
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

——

1/2” Click Torque Wrench

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

——

1/2” Click Torque Wrench

I have that green handled 1/4 inch and 3/8 inch combo ratchet and I stripped the gears in it or it's just plain shitty.  Under a lot of stress it just lets go and I bust my hand full speed into whatever I'm working on.

Does it carry a lifetime warranty?  I can't remember.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Bought a 1500 watt steam cleaner for the wife.  She loves it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#50]
life insurance
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top