Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another box of Nitrile gloves.
View Quote
This. And an American flag made in China.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 9:41:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ordered a few of days ago.  Called today to inquire about shipping to find out I probably won't see it until April. :(

https://i.ibb.co/RSf2HwH/image-18577.jpg
View Quote
OK, actual machinists what do you think of this one, its at least a r-8 taper, but its no bridgeport either, is it enough to do light work like lowers? or even at say a grand with a 20% coupon is it still shit?  I have a smithy 1240 that I have to get up and going but I would still like a manual machine around, and will probably just buy a bridgeport or clone.  But still would like some feedback on this machine.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 11:45:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Where exactly on the spectrum do you fall? Do you get this upset when people joke about Anderson?

I’m sure I’m not the first person to make a joke about HF jacks or any other tools. It’s kind of like the Ford/Chevy/Dodge thing. I highly doubt anyone on any side actually believes most of what the say about the other two.

It’s ok dude. Most people, including me, get by just fine with most HF stuff. I joke about my other HF stuff too. I joke about the “heavy duty” pry bar that was about as tough as an over-cooked noodle and the reciprocating saw that has been great.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That floor jack is the first thing I ever bought at HF.  It has made life much easier.
I just can't bring myself to buy a jack there. My default rule for HF is "Don't buy anything from HF that would result in your death if it failed."
If a jack fails, how would you die?
I understand that it would be highly unlikely to kill me since I use jack stands. I’d just prefer to use a jack from a place that has a better track record than HF. I like a lot of their stuff, but it has had a much higher failure rate than stuff from other places.
I don't understand why you brought it up then?

You said your rule is don't buy anything from HF that can kill you. Then you admit that if using a jack properly you're (VERY) unlikely to die. So what's the issue?

I'm sure nobody cares if you just prefer a higher quality tool, but why come into a HF thread to tell us?
There’s this thing called a sense of humor. You should probably grow one.

If you look further up, I posted that I recently bought the 5 drawer tool chest. I posted that well before the comment on the jack. The pic of the jack just made me think about seeing the jacks and considering them, but deciding not to.
Easy killer, you might want to take your own advice since I don't see anybody else laughing along with your "joke".

I honestly just didn't understand why you decided to bring it up. Maybe you know a bunch of people who've been maimed or killed by HF jacks which is why you have that opinion. I've never seen anybody complain about their HF jack so that would be news to me, but hey it happens. My current jack works fine and likely will for a long time, but if it failed HF would be one of the most likely places I would buy a replacement so I'd like to know about these killer jacks before I somehow become a victim.
Where exactly on the spectrum do you fall? Do you get this upset when people joke about Anderson?

I’m sure I’m not the first person to make a joke about HF jacks or any other tools. It’s kind of like the Ford/Chevy/Dodge thing. I highly doubt anyone on any side actually believes most of what the say about the other two.

It’s ok dude. Most people, including me, get by just fine with most HF stuff. I joke about my other HF stuff too. I joke about the “heavy duty” pry bar that was about as tough as an over-cooked noodle and the reciprocating saw that has been great.
lol, you'll make a good wife someday.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 11:52:07 PM EDT
[#4]
If you get a chance to use it, I'd love to hear what you think about it.

I'd like to pick up one of the small jump packs to take on long trips. I was looking at this one on Amazon (it's get good reviews all over the web) but the Viking looks comparable and with HF you can always expect a coupon sometime...

Amazon Product
  • Start batteries with a compact, yet powerful lithium jump starter rated at 400 Amps - up to 20 jump starts on a single charge
  • Connect to any battery safely with our ultra-safe, mistake-proof design featuring spark-proof technology and reverse polarity protection.
  • An integrated LED flashlight with seven light modes, including low, medium, high, flashing, strobe and emergency SOS; plus 6-hours of continuous run time

Link Posted: 2/1/2019 11:57:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Camo moving blankets that i use in the truck and on the bed so the GSD doesn't leave hair on everything.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 11:58:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That floor jack is the first thing I ever bought at HF.  It has made life much easier.
I just can't bring myself to buy a jack there. My default rule for HF is "Don't buy anything from HF that would result in your death if it failed."
If a jack fails, how would you die?
I understand that it would be highly unlikely to kill me since I use jack stands. I’d just prefer to use a jack from a place that has a better track record than HF. I like a lot of their stuff, but it has had a much higher failure rate than stuff from other places.
I don't understand why you brought it up then?

You said your rule is don't buy anything from HF that can kill you. Then you admit that if using a jack properly you're (VERY) unlikely to die. So what's the issue?

I'm sure nobody cares if you just prefer a higher quality tool, but why come into a HF thread to tell us?
There’s this thing called a sense of humor. You should probably grow one.

If you look further up, I posted that I recently bought the 5 drawer tool chest. I posted that well before the comment on the jack. The pic of the jack just made me think about seeing the jacks and considering them, but deciding not to.
Easy killer, you might want to take your own advice since I don't see anybody else laughing along with your "joke".

I honestly just didn't understand why you decided to bring it up. Maybe you know a bunch of people who've been maimed or killed by HF jacks which is why you have that opinion. I've never seen anybody complain about their HF jack so that would be news to me, but hey it happens. My current jack works fine and likely will for a long time, but if it failed HF would be one of the most likely places I would buy a replacement so I'd like to know about these killer jacks before I somehow become a victim.

Go ahead and cry yourself to sleep tonight. You can tell your favorite jack it’s just as good as the rest in the morning.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 11:59:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Rubber gloves and heavy duty rivet  gun.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 12:03:05 AM EDT
[#8]
$29 jigsaw
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 12:05:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Bought this Nov 20th in blue color not a presale... still has not arrived. Just 2 days ago I bought their floor nailer.  For 89 dollars I figured it was better deal than renting one.
View Quote
Must be a color thing, bought mine on Black Friday sale and came 2 weeks later.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 12:11:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'd like to pick up one of the small jump packs to take on long trips. I was looking at this one on Amazon (it's get good reviews all over the web) but the Viking looks comparable and with HF you can always expect a coupon sometime...

www.amazon.com/dp/B015TKPT1A
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I was  looking at the noco genius also but there was a $10 coupon on the Viking and I had a gift card so I thought I would give it a try. I charged it fully after I bought it and then used it to start a V6 minivan in my driveway that has a completely bad battery and it started it but the capacity went down to 50% afterwards.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 12:13:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have a Viking and two Nocos, the viking stays in my wife's focus and a Noco stays in her truck and one in my Honda.  I have used both brands but the viking will barely start a 6.2 gap V8.  Fine for 6 and smaller engines.   I am thinking about putting on in our camp trailer just because.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 12:15:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Are they going to stop using the Pittsburg name? Local one has not received any sockets and maybe other stuff since befor Christmas. They do have QUINN and a couple other names.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 12:26:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 12:30:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I can understand that and use the jack cautiously.  I never get under something it's holding until there are jack stands under it.  So far I have used it many times and it's never failed.  But it only takes once.

My last HF purchase needs to be updated now.  I stopped by on the way home from work and picked up a hammer drill (see below) and bits because of this thread.  The plan is to use it to drill holes to anchor the tool boxes I picked up in my previous post/HF visit.  There were a few other things I was going to pick up but decided to wait.  It gives me another excuse to go by there.

https://shop.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_27291.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can understand that and use the jack cautiously.  I never get under something it's holding until there are jack stands under it.  So far I have used it many times and it's never failed.  But it only takes once.

My last HF purchase needs to be updated now.  I stopped by on the way home from work and picked up a hammer drill (see below) and bits because of this thread.  The plan is to use it to drill holes to anchor the tool boxes I picked up in my previous post/HF visit.  There were a few other things I was going to pick up but decided to wait.  It gives me another excuse to go by there.

https://shop.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_27291.jpg
i used mine today for the first time.  Drlled 2 3/4” holes in concrete.  The first hole took about 20 seconds.  The second took s little longer.  Im pretty sure the drill bits they sell arent very good.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 12:30:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 12:48:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I was  looking at the noco genius also but there was a $10 coupon on the Viking and I had a gift card so I thought I would give it a try. I charged it fully after I bought it and then used it to start a V6 minivan in my driveway that has a completely bad battery and it started it but the capacity went down to 50% afterwards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a Viking and two Nocos, the viking stays in my wife's focus and a Noco stays in her truck and one in my Honda.  I have used both brands but the viking will barely start a 6.2 gap V8.  Fine for 6 and smaller engines.   I am thinking about putting on in our camp trailer just because.
Thanks for reviews guys.

3.5l is the biggest engine I have, so it's good to hear they both will work fine. I see noco has packs with more amps that are rated for bigger engines, so I guess if I get something bigger I know where to look then.

I have an older big jump pack with the air compressor and stuff built in but I want something smaller & lighter that wont be so obnoxious when the vehicles are already packed for a long trip. Bonus points if it fits into saddlebags so I can have it on the bike.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 12:59:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Two motorcycle dollies.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 1:01:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Nitrile gloves.
Dust brushes.
8,000 lbs winch.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 1:02:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The wood working clamps?  My buddy is a wood worker and I swear he has thousands of dollars invested at Woodcraft just in clamps.  I'm curious how good the HF ones are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Going for glue and c-clamps this weekend.
Exciting!
The wood working clamps?  My buddy is a wood worker and I swear he has thousands of dollars invested at Woodcraft just in clamps.  I'm curious how good the HF ones are.
Good clamps are fucking expensive. Bessey K-body style and knock offs parallel clamps are always pricey.

The HF clamps are decent, if you don't put much expectations on them. Their C-clamps are acceptable. Not on par with quality US made ones (especially from yesteryear) but will work for most people.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 1:09:27 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a HF less than a block from my house. I go there all the time for anything that's not worth buying a more expensive (and possibly, but not necessarily definitely better) version of somewhere else. Of course I never buy anything there without a coupon or free gift. To hell with paying full price there, and not getting something for "free" with my purchase. The place certainly has it's uses.

Too bad the founder/owner is a raging liberal piece of shit.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 1:20:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Some kind of gauge and a water hose / extension cord combo.
And a manual chain saw.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 1:46:49 AM EDT
[#22]
https://www.hfqpdb.com
This may come in handy from time to time.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 1:54:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 4:11:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Some kind of gauge and a water hose / extension cord combo.
And a manual chain saw.
View Quote
Yeah I think I saw coupon codes for those in a flyer.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 4:13:33 AM EDT
[#25]
A couple boxes of the 9mil thick nitrile gloves.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 5:18:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Put the Harbor Freight app on my phone. Always have a 20% off coupon.
Last purchase was rock tumbler media to polish agate my wife collected on the beach.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 6:34:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I avoid the place. I'd rather not give the Chinese my money.
View Quote
American owed and family run company.  The Harbor Freight Fellows Initiative has given over $1.2-million towards educating American youth apprenticeship programs.  Harbor Freight also donates through Tools for Schools in America.  How much money has Craftsman or even Snap-on kept in America?
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 6:44:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hein-Werner is the only USA jack company left.  Don't trust any jackstsnd, supplement with dunnage.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 6:51:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have a HF less than a block from my house. I go there all the time for anything that's not worth buying a more expensive (and possibly, but not necessarily definitely better) version of somewhere else. Of course I never buy anything there without a coupon or free gift. To hell with paying full price there, and not getting something for "free" with my purchase. The place certainly has it's uses.

View Quote
Sucks to hear this do you have any links to this?
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 6:52:41 AM EDT
[#30]
A bench grinder 12 years ago. Still works but anymore I avoid Chinese made when I can. Just about every time you buy Chinese your money is going to their military or general's pocket.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 6:57:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Hein-Werner is the only USA jack company left.  Don't trust any jackstsnd, supplement with dunnage.
View Quote
Hein-Werner (the current U.S. jack they sell is a copy of the old Lincoln a much better jack than the original Hein-Werner) is owned by Omega, the parts for the Hein-Werner are made overseas and assembled in the U.S.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 6:59:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tax him 90% that will educate him a bit!
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 7:31:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
I saw this a month or so ago. I like buying some things at HF, so I hated to see it.  Between Bezos and this guy and a few others, I can't shop anywhere without feeling like I am supporting the lefties.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Apache case for NVGs.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 9:11:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Bought this today.
https://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/demo-hammers/15-amp-35-lb-pro-demolition-hammer-kit-64276.html
Was in clearance, marked down to $180 because the carry case had a small crack.
Find out Monday how well it'll work to bust up a poured invert flow channel in a manhole.

Link Posted: 2/2/2019 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#37]
A blue plastic tarp.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 9:55:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Picked up an O2 sensor socket. Worked on 2 out of 4 O2 sensors. One sensor is seized in place and the forth has no access. Fuck my life.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 9:55:43 PM EDT
[#39]
I’m always down for their cheap zip ties and safety glasses.

Next purchase is a pneumatic brake bleeder kit and maybe a rubber mallet.  Extra long needle nose pliers maybe.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/123535/F963005C-B370-4C69-8827-F27414688D1B_png-828866.JPG

Used it to melt off the glue from the US General emblem on the front of the 22” tool box.
View Quote
Oh yeah, I've put some serious miles on my heat gun, great value.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote
I just bought one of those for my work truck
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#42]
One of these tool carts. Handy little thing for around the garage when the rustang is getting some love.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 10:01:12 PM EDT
[#43]
My order says completed, but I'm not sure if that means they've shipped.

Link Posted: 2/2/2019 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#44]
drill bits, solar security light, jack
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
OK, actual machinists what do you think of this one, its at least a r-8 taper, but its no bridgeport either, is it enough to do light work like lowers? or even at say a grand with a 20% coupon is it still shit?  I have a smithy 1240 that I have to get up and going but I would still like a manual machine around, and will probably just buy a bridgeport or clone.  But still would like some feedback on this machine.
View Quote
Also curious. This and the table lathe look a lot like the grizzly versions of the same. I would love to have both if they were up to par for basic tasks. It seems the lathe at least gets good reviews as long as you understand what it can do with the small size.

I have a bizarrely specific life goal to learn enough wecsog machining to be able to build a modern welrod clone from scratch other than maybe the barrel and magazine.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 10:35:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Ordered the HF hardwood workbench today and some small stuff for storage to tidy up the workshop.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Are they going to stop using the Pittsburg name? Local one has not received any sockets and maybe other stuff since befor Christmas. They do have QUINN and a couple other names.
View Quote
Can’t say why your local store isn’t getting Pittsburgh but the name isn’t going anywhere and I got some in this past week.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 11:59:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Bought one of these two months ago . . . $21.95 . . . used it twice so far.

Works fine.

Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:07:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Mine still has a lot of Pitt stuff. Get the pro version if you can.

The really important thing IMO with HF hand tools is  get the Taiwan made stuff. It's great quality.

Blackhawk, Gearwrench, Tekton etc are made in Taiwan. Those little fuckers make good tools.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:08:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
OK for light to moderate stuff. I broke one and the other doesn't clamp as tight as I would like.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top