BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 8:41:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In case you don't remember the details, he chose to be a cross dresser because he wanted people to think he was mentally ill.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 8:51:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Bosom Buddies was another one...
View Quote

Those peoples were paying their dues and doing what they were told to get famous. Also it was the beginning of conditioning our brains to normalize shit like this. Not that I didn't know but I was reassured this by an actor who's in his '70s now, Who convinced my daughter and us to never ever get into the entertainment business.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Ha, I do feel like an old man reminiscing, when I’m not actually that old.  But times are do seem to have changed a lot.

I can share one other thing that you older guys will remember but most people my age won’t.  We had a party line.  When the phone rang it rang to our house and two of the neighbors houses.  We all picked up and figured out who the call was for, then the others hung up.  If you wanted to you could stay on the line and listen in, but we never really did.
View Quote

OP, I am 46. From what you are saying about party lines and TV programming you have to be around my age. If that's the case you were certainly old enough to remember most all of the stuff people are talking about and certainly old enough to understand what Klinger was up to.

I probably wouldn't have watched Mash as a first choice as a child but we only got 2.5 channels so Mash it was. But mostly reruns in the afternoon I think. Though maybe some first runs as well.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 10:47:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So were Elton John and Charles Nelson Reilly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps The Hollywood Squares was before your time.  Paul Lynde was quite "out."

Let us not forget Dom DeLuise, a frequent guest on variety shows.

Blazing Saddles- The French Mistake

Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It just occurred to me that when I was a kid there was a man dressed in drag on TV on a show that my parents watched.  It was called M.A.S.H. and the character was called Klinger.  I always hated that show and never thought Klinger was funny.  This was a long time ago.  We only had three channels, so not much selection I guess.  For some reason I don’t remember much thought or debate about it at the time.  My parents were conservative Republicans.  Seems odd now that I think of it.
View Quote

Klinger wasn't a true believer, he just wanted to get out of the Army via Section 8. He wasn't as funny a character as others, but he definitely added something to the show with his warmth. Jamie Farr is a wonderful human being and brought much of his warmth to the show. The adjustment from Radar to Klinger was rough for me, but he was good for the show.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Tbh, I didn’t know that cross dressing and drag were different things until now.  I always thought they were the same.  I’ve learned my one new thing of the day
View Quote

Jeez, he was doing to "look" like  he was mentally ill and get discharged.  The people that dress drag and transvestite are mentally ill.  There's not any difference other then they poked fun of cross dressing by implying that only mental I'll people cross dress/drag/transvestite.  It was actually pretty non woke for them to make that connection.  Klinger wasn't celebrating drag or pedo shit, he was making fun of it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

In case you don't remember the details, he chose to be a cross dresser because he wanted people to think he was mentally ill.
View Quote

SECTION 8
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 12/10/2022 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Wife and I do that now, only with walkie talkies.
View Quote

Believe it or not, you can get a motor that will turn it for you!
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I've always viewed MASH as anti war propaganda.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 10:42:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I never saw it that often as I was working a swing shift but Alan Alda always rubbed me the wrong way, he came across as too sanctimonious for my tastes.
View Quote

He gained control of the series, that's when Mclean Stevenson and Wayne Rogers left the show. Supposedly they didn't like the change from a pure comedy series to the preachy series Alda was creating.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 10:47:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMK6lzmSk2o
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps The Hollywood Squares was before your time.  Paul Lynde was quite "out."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMK6lzmSk2o

Fun fact - Dom DeLuise's wife was Carol Arthur. She played Harriet Johnson in Blazing Saddles. Harriet Johnson was the lady who read the letter the town sent to the governor.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top