Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Geraldine!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:40:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not at all. It was the 80s version of this site's ACABs, instead just AMABs, pointing out the ridiculousness of "true believer" .gov ass kissers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Klinger walks into the shot, on a guard post, carrying an M1, wearing a sun dress and a big bonnet.

The canned laugh track goes apeshit with glee!

I don't understand why that show is remembered so fondly.

The show was basically anti-american, anti-military, with the good guys hating the army and bad guys loving the army.
The show treated North Korean soldiers as sympathetic characters.
Long haired doctors, BJ Honeycutt wearing pink underwear tops, and Klinger etc.
The show sucked.

Not at all. It was the 80s version of this site's ACABs, instead just AMABs, pointing out the ridiculousness of "true believer" .gov ass kissers.

You’re both saying the exact same thing. It’s just that one of you thought it was a bad thing, and the other liked it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:41:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
He was trying to convince them he was cuckoo, because until recently, it meant you were cuckoo, and that would have gotten him discharged and shipped back to good ol' Toledo!
View Quote
Yep
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's Catch-22.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I watched MASH as a young child, so I have an incomplete memory of the characters and nuance of the show, but my recollection is that aside from regular outbursts designed to get attention Klinger was hard-working and well-grounded. One of the themes of his character was that he tried to act crazy to escape the war, but in doing so made the argument that no sane person would want to be part of it. You could argue that by protesting and trying to go home without hurting anyone, he was the most sane person there.

That's Catch-22.

Link Posted: 12/9/2022 11:08:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I watched one with a rabbit.
View Quote

With ping pong balls and carrots?
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#6]
It used to be something we pretty much universally laughed at because it is so ridiculous.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 11:25:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
When I was in High School in the mid 70's we had a contest every year where all the athletes dressed in drag called The Bulldog Beauty Revue. I never dressed up. Back then I don't even remember hearing the term "drag". It was just for laughs.
View Quote

My rugby team was going to a tournament in two separate vans. My van stopped at a yard sale a bought a bunch of home made sun dresses. Half our team did warmups in the sun dresses before we changed into out jerseys. It was pretty funny.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The show was basically anti-american, anti-military, with the good guys hating the army and bad guys loving the army.
The show sucked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Klinger walks into the shot, on a guard post, carrying an M1, wearing a sun dress and a big bonnet.

The canned laugh track goes apeshit with glee!

I don't understand why that show is remembered so fondly.

The show sucked.

BJ was a terrible character. Super lefty.

The show was much better with Trapper.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He was trying to convince them he was cuckoo, because until recently, it meant you were cuckoo, and that would have gotten him discharged and shipped back to good ol' Toledo!
View Quote

Yep.  He wanted out of the Army and that was his unpunched ticket.  During WW II gheys got discharged.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 11:34:39 AM EDT
[#11]
There was a time when it was campy, over the top, outrageous. Not making a political statement but doing something that was considered so ridiculous it was guaranteed laughs. Milton Berle did it in the 50's. It wasn't sexual, it was comedy. Like Lucille Ball dressing as a man in some of her shows.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 11:38:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Entertainment is the best method to advance normalcy. It first starts with laughing at, then laughing with, then progresses to it's illegal to laugh.

Link Posted: 12/9/2022 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
HELL, I remember Uncle Milty dressing in drag..
View Quote

Yeah, I remember that guy too. My family watched some tv back then, but most of us didn't think he was funny. More annoying and pathetic than funny.

I was too young to understand the real idiocy of it. .
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 11:45:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Actors were never held in as high esteem as they are these days, until Hollywood they were basically considered lowlifes
View Quote

And now they're still lowlifes, but they have good agents.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Drew Carey show has always been one of my favorite shows, starting as a kid. His brother was a cross dresser in the show.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actors were never held in as high esteem as they are these days, until Hollywood they were basically considered lowlifes

The only actor I can remember my parents disliking for politics was Jane Fonda.  I think most of them were less outspoken about politics then.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 12:53:42 PM EDT
[#17]

It used to be for laughs not mental illness.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It just occurred to me that when I was a kid there was a man dressed in drag on TV on a show that my parents watched.  It was called M.A.S.H. and the character was called Klinger.  I always hated that show and never thought Klinger was funny.  This was a long time ago.  We only had three channels, so not much selection I guess.  For some reason I don’t remember much thought or debate about it at the time.  My parents were conservative Republicans.  Seems odd now that I think of it.
View Quote

Just watched the original movie the other night, there was no Klinger character in it. Klinger merely served as a leftist prop, in real life he would have either been sent to Leavenworth or given a section 8 and a dishonorable discharge.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yeah, I remember that guy too. My family watched some tv back then, but most of us didn't think he was funny. More annoying and pathetic than funny.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
HELL, I remember Uncle Milty dressing in drag..

I saw him in the 90’s. He was old as hell but truly hysterical.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Just watched the original movie the other night, there was no Klinger character in it. Klinger merely served as a leftist prop, in real life he would have either been sent to Leavenworth or given a section 8 and a dishonorable discharge.
View Quote

While the whole show was anti-war I dont think at that time Klinger was being used as a message for transgender rights by any means. None of the characters on the show supported Klingers cross dressing. I think it was simply comedic releif in a show about violence and death. The movie was a little more serious than the show and in their translation to the series I think they had to lighten it a little bit to get it on TV in the late 70s/early 80s.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 1:08:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I remember that one.  Didn’t remember that he was acting gay.  Actually I probably didn’t ever catch onto it because I didn’t know what gay was at that age.

The first show with gay people that I remember was much later.  Called Will and Grace.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jack on Three's company had to pretend he was gay so he wouldn't get evicted.

I remember that one.  Didn’t remember that he was acting gay.  Actually I probably didn’t ever catch onto it because I didn’t know what gay was at that age.

The first show with gay people that I remember was much later.  Called Will and Grace.

Soap

Jay
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 1:12:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thanks, no, I don’t remember the details.  Just that I didn’t really like the show. And all of the drag queen talk in GD reminded me of it.  Maybe I’d find it funny now as an adult.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It just occurred to me that when I was a kid there was a man dressed in drag on TV on a show that my parents watched.  It was called M.A.S.H. and the character was called Klinger.  I always hated that show and never thought Klinger was funny.  This was a long time ago.  We only had three channels, so not much selection I guess.  For some reason I don’t remember much thought or debate about it at the time.  My parents were conservative Republicans.  Seems odd now that I think of it.

In case you don't remember the details, he chose to be a cross dresser because he wanted people to think he was mentally ill.

Thanks, no, I don’t remember the details.  Just that I didn’t really like the show. And all of the drag queen talk in GD reminded me of it.  Maybe I’d find it funny now as an adult.

yea, for some reason I don't think you would
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, Klinger wasn't really a tranny.  He just wanted out of the Army really really bad.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Both Tootsie and Mrs. Doubtfire fall into a similar category, as does the movie White Chicks.

Not men who WANT to dress (or live) as women, but who are doing it out of necessity or because it will get them something they want.

View Quote

I HATED Tootsie!

What sane man would dump Terri Garr for Jessica Lange?
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Here in Washington, during the '70s and '80s, we had a kids morning show that had a guy in drag every weekday, the JP Patches show. To be fair, the actor played all the other ancillary characters, too. So it wasn't like that was his only deal.

Attachment Attached File

JP Patches on the left, Gertrude on the right.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

And he was doing that trying to get a mental illness discharge and out of the war...
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 1:21:45 PM EDT
[#28]
When M.A.S.H. came on, it was time for bed.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I wonder what Sidney Freedman would say about today's Military
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 1:30:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In case you don't remember the details, he chose to be a cross dresser because he wanted people to think he was mentally ill.

I’ll have to ask my parents if they actually liked it or if there was just nothing else on during that time slot.

I can remember going to friends houses where the TV was on all day even when no one was watching it.  Our house was not one of those.  But many people did that.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 1:37:49 PM EDT
[#31]
lol, youngsters
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
lol, youngsters
View Quote

Ha, I do feel like an old man reminiscing, when I’m not actually that old.  But times are do seem to have changed a lot.

I can share one other thing that you older guys will remember but most people my age won’t.  We had a party line.  When the phone rang it rang to our house and two of the neighbors houses.  We all picked up and figured out who the call was for, then the others hung up.  If you wanted to you could stay on the line and listen in, but we never really did.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 2:53:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not necessarily.
My father was in the army during the Korean War, but stayed stateside. Many of his friends from bootcamp did go over.

He would watch MASH, but complained about the BS the doctors were allowed to do. He would complain that no matter how good they were in the OR, no officer would let so much go by unpunished. Obviously it didn't bother him enough to not watch the series.

In one episode, Kinger was a prominent character. I don't remember which one. My dad said something along the lines that Kinger reminded him of "Betty".  He told the story of one of the guys he knew in the army often wore dresses when off duty. It sounded like anytime the guy was allowed out of uniform, a dress was worn. I couldn't watch MASH after that without thinking of my dad.

Fast forward a couple of decades, and my father passes away. We are going through the his old pictures and an aunt grabs one and says, "What's this??". It was a picture of my dad in front of a quonset hut barracks. He was one of 5 or 6 guys, and one of them was in a dress. Betty!!! I'm not sure who ended up with the picture, everyone wanted it.

"Betty" probably did end up in Korea, my dad didn't know for sure. He didn't remember the guy's real name, everyone called him Betty all the time.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Ha, I do feel like an old man reminiscing, when I’m not actually that old.  But times are do seem to have changed a lot.

I can share one other thing that you older guys will remember but most people my age won’t.  We had a party line.  When the phone rang it rang to our house and two of the neighbors houses.  We all picked up and figured out who the call was for, then the others hung up.  If you wanted to you could stay on the line and listen in, but we never really did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol, youngsters

You didn't have a unique ring for your home on the party line?
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#36]
OP, you watched it everyday?  It was on one day a week, unless you are talking about it when it hit the rerun circuit years later.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
OP, you watched it everyday?  It was on one day a week, unless you are talking about it when it hit the rerun circuit years later.
View Quote

I don’t really remember tbh.  This is when I was five years old or so.

I thought it was a daily one but could be wrong.  It seems to me like most of the shows back then were on every day, rather than weekly.  Maybe they showed one new one and reruns the other days?

The other thing I remember is that during the day time television was horrible.  It was weird soap operas.  My parents hated that stuff so we would only turn it on in the mornings and evenings.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
When M.A.S.H. came on, it was time for bed.
View Quote

Yep.

It was syndicated and would come on after the evening news.  When mash started you better be heading to your room.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I knew this guy named Shakespeare who wrote a few stage plays...
Pretty much all the female characters were played by men dressed up as women...
View Quote

Well,  ... they were English, so ....
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Monty python's flying circus was another one.

They dressed in drag from time to time. I'm thinking if you are doing as part of a comedy routine then it's not wrong.

View Quote

Milton Berle did drag a lot - way back before he was in RATT's music video.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 4:49:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Bosom Buddies was another one...
View Quote

That was so they could live in a cheap ladies only apt building, not because they have "i dont want a dick" issue.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 4:50:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Not going to read the whole thread to see if anyone asked who the drag queen was that OP watched MASH with.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Bosom Buddies was another one...
View Quote

"Hey, up close you're a guy..."

On guard duty Klinger: "Far away, too."

and
Monty Python
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 4:54:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

And how accessible was that porn to the general public?  I mean, I was a kid through all of the 70s. I think it was well into the 80s before I came across my first cast off Playboy lying discarded somewhere.  It didn't permeate the culture in quite the same way was my point.
View Quote

1972's Deep Throat was the first pornographic film to pay some concern to actual plot, featured a lead actress that somewhat looked like a normal "girl next door" rather than a truck stop hooker, and had decent production values.  It largely launched the phenomena of "porno chic", and along with similar movies such as Behind The Green Door and Emmanuelle normalized a middle-class acceptance of pornography in the popular culture.    To the point that porn star  Andrea True had a disco hit with "More, More, More", the title and lyrics of which were inspired by one of the porn scripts she filmed.

So, by the time M.A.S.H. was big, yes it was part of the culture.  By the time video recorders and HBO came a long, certainly so.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 5:01:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Perhaps The Hollywood Squares was before your time.  Paul Lynde was quite "out."
View Quote

So were Elton John and Charles Nelson Reilly.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Big difference:

Klinger was masquerading as a woman to try and prove he was mentally defective.  Pretty solid strategy.

In MASH 2022, Klinger would be given a Silver Star for bravery and promoted to Battallion Commander.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 5:12:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

He wanted a “section 8”. Everybody ignored him because they knew he was an idiot.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#48]
I never saw it that often as I was working a swing shift but Alan Alda always rubbed me the wrong way, he came across as too sanctimonious for my tastes.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

My rugby team was going to a tournament in two separate vans. My van stopped at a yard sale a bought a bunch of home made sun dresses. Half our team did warmups in the sun dresses before we changed into out jerseys. It was pretty funny.
View Quote

Our college baseball team head coach’s first name was Jerry.  We were easily the worst of the athletic teams in the university.

Most northern universities go to FL, SC, TX, GA for spring break to play thier preseason games in good weather.  Normally, when traveling there’s a shirt and tie code of conduct.  Well one spring break one of the guys on the team ordered a bunch of matching comical shirts to wear while traveling. So we showed up to the airport, you know, matching like sportsball teams do when traveling together… all wearing ”Jerry’s Kids” T-Shirts…  

Link Posted: 12/10/2022 8:29:35 AM EDT
[#50]
My grandfather was a doctor in the Korean War.

He didn’t talk about it much, and I can’t remember if he ever watched MASH, but I don’t think he would have approved of making light of the duty, and the way the doctors were portrayed. The few times that the subject of his service came up, he was clear that he was doing his part to save American heroes, who were also doing their duty, and was proud that he was able to serve his country the best way he could.

I remember watching MASH, in syndication, as a young boy in the ‘80s, thinking it was mostly just funny gag jokes (I’m sure there were many that went over my head), but getting annoyed when they started getting “preachy” about the politics.  I didn’t understand why they wouldn’t be proud to serve their country the best way they could…like my Pop-pop.

Haven’t seen an episode in at least 25 years, or more, not sure how it would hold up with my new, jaded adult perspective.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top