Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 8:00:32 AM EDT
[#1]
When I was a kid we went to this building 2x a week where they indoctrinated us about a bearded man in a dress.

You would think the Son of God would know men wear pants not robes that look like dresses.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 8:16:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Klinger dressed as a woman in an effort to make people think he was insane and thus get a section 8 out of the army.

It was humorous because the notion that a man would dress as a woman was so ridiculously absurd.

Today in clown world if you chuckle at a man dressed as a woman, because it is indeed still every bit as absurd as it was, there are many people that would want you imprisoned.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 8:18:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In case you don't remember the details, he chose to be a cross dresser because he wanted people to think he was mentally ill.
View Quote

EXACTLY.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 8:26:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Men dressing as women has been a thing for a long time. Men actually trying to convince you that they are actually woman is fairly new.

Didn't Hoover have a thing for dressing in women's clothes?
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 8:34:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

In case you don't remember the details, he chose to be a cross dresser because he wanted people to think he was mentally ill.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It just occurred to me that when I was a kid there was a man dressed in drag on TV on a show that my parents watched.  It was called M.A.S.H. and the character was called Klinger.  I always hated that show and never thought Klinger was funny.  This was a long time ago.  We only had three channels, so not much selection I guess.  For some reason I don’t remember much thought or debate about it at the time.  My parents were conservative Republicans.  Seems odd now that I think of it.

Yup he was trying to get a section 8.

Also, M.A.S.H. has always sucked. Hated that show growing up.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#6]
We had crossdressers, not Trannys. Trannys were mentally ill.
Michael Caines Dressed to Kill controversially dipped into this subject at the time of a crossdresser who started having tranny problems. It was understood that there was a big difference and even drag shows were mostly cross dressers. I would say that distinction is completely gone now and trannys, like an insidious virus, have completely invaded the LGB host and taken over. Not riding in the middle back seat anymore.
No one batted an eye with Monty Python or Benny Hill, but you could not do either of those comedy formats in 2022 without being canceled before the end credits rolled.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 8:43:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
He was trying to convince them he was cuckoo, because until recently, it meant you were cuckoo, and that would have gotten him discharged and shipped back to good ol' Toledo!
View Quote
Right. And the minute they offered to discharge him provided he signed a statement that he was gay, he got pissed and said something like "I'm not THAT! I'm just crazy!" and opted to stay in the army.

And that was a really liberal show run by a bunch of (at the time) left wingers.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 8:50:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Monty Python has been mentioned, how about Kids in the Hall?
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 8:51:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Klinger was comedy relief and everyone acknowledged that his dress wearing was only an effort to be sent home, not a serious lifestyle choice
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Once it became clear it was a lost cause, he eventually stopped.
View Quote

He could have cut his dick off, but that level of "commitment" was less common then.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Section 8 was a category of discharge from the United States military, used for a service member judged mentally unfit for service. Section 8 was also often given to cross-dressers, gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.[1]
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 8:58:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That might have been before my time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bosom Buddies was another one...

It was about two straight men that were forced to dress as women because of unfair housing practices that persecuted them because of their gender.

You would never get away with a show title like that in this petty and shitty world we live in now.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It just occurred to me that when I was a kid there was a man dressed in drag on TV on a show that my parents watched.  It was called M.A.S.H. and the character was called Klinger.  I always hated that show and never thought Klinger was funny.  This was a long time ago.  We only had three channels, so not much selection I guess.  For some reason I don’t remember much thought or debate about it at the time.  My parents were conservative Republicans.  Seems odd now that I think of it.

Yes, he was trying to get a section 8 discharge (which was a real thing back in the day.)  Nowadays cross dressing in the biden administration gets you promoted.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Klinger walks into the shot, on a guard post, carrying an M1, wearing a sun dress and a big bonnet.

The canned laugh track goes apeshit with glee!

I don't understand why that show is remembered so fondly.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:20:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks, no, I don’t remember the details.  Just that I didn’t really like the show. And all of the drag queen talk in GD reminded me of it.  Maybe I’d find it funny now as an adult.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, no, I don’t remember the details.  Just that I didn’t really like the show. And all of the drag queen talk in GD reminded me of it.  Maybe I’d find it funny now as an adult.

He was trying to get kicked out of the army tp get out of korea.... They knew he was full of it. The viewers knew it too. It was completely obvious even as a child.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#16]
When I was in High School in the mid 70's we had a contest every year where all the athletes dressed in drag called The Bulldog Beauty Revue. I never dressed up. Back then I don't even remember hearing the term "drag". It was just for laughs.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:24:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks, no, I don't remember the details.  Just that I didn't really like the show. And all of the drag queen talk in GD reminded me of it.  Maybe I'd find it funny now as an adult.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It just occurred to me that when I was a kid there was a man dressed in drag on TV on a show that my parents watched.  It was called M.A.S.H. and the character was called Klinger.  I always hated that show and never thought Klinger was funny.  This was a long time ago.  We only had three channels, so not much selection I guess.  For some reason I don't remember much thought or debate about it at the time.  My parents were conservative Republicans.  Seems odd now that I think of it.

Thanks, no, I don't remember the details.  Just that I didn't really like the show. And all of the drag queen talk in GD reminded me of it.  Maybe I'd find it funny now as an adult.
Yes. Klinger was trying to get a Section 8 discharge for mental illness to get out of South Korea.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:25:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Again, only "pretending" to be women so they reap some benefits.

Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Klinger was trying to get a “Section 8” discharge for mental illness.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:27:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
He was trying to convince them he was cuckoo, because until recently, it meant you were cuckoo, and that would have gotten him discharged and shipped back to good ol' Toledo!
View Quote

He rooted for the Mudhens
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:27:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Jack on Three's company had to pretend he was gay so he wouldn't get evicted.
View Quote
He only did that for Mr Roper and a few of the girls' dates, so the other men wouldn't dump Janet/Chrissy.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I wonder why.  I think it just doesn’t appeal to my sense of humor.  I’ve never been to a drag show and can’t imagine I’d find it funny.   I don’t think I’d be outraged or anything, but it seems like it would be a waste of time and not entertaining to me.  And I think I have a pretty good sense of humor.  Or at least I like to laugh and do so often.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgjzHp4TVtk

Its been a joke for a long time...

I wonder why.  I think it just doesn’t appeal to my sense of humor.  I’ve never been to a drag show and can’t imagine I’d find it funny.   I don’t think I’d be outraged or anything, but it seems like it would be a waste of time and not entertaining to me.  And I think I have a pretty good sense of humor.  Or at least I like to laugh and do so often.

Do you understand that it’s different when one dresses as the opposite sex as a disguise, or to make people think they’re crazy, verses one dressing as the opposite sex because they want to be, or think they are, the opposite sex?
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you watched MASH as a kid, it was wasn’t before your time. It was a sitcom in the 80’s.

Tom Hanks and a buddy have to pretend to be girls to live in some all-girl apartment building or something like that. It was before Tom Hanks got big into movies.  I might have it backwards. Maybe it was at work that they had to pretend to be girls.

Either way, it was similar to Klinger in MASH in that they did the drag thing out of “necessity” borne of their circumstances. So the humor in it all, supposedly anyway, is that they were forced into it by circumstances and the joke setups then stem from the tension of them NOT supposed to be dressed that way.

Which actually is an indication of how far society has evolved in the last 40-50 years. You could basically create a sitcom built around the premise that men are NOT supposed to be in dresses in the 80’s and attract top shelf corporate sponsors on a major network during prime time.

Just try that now and see what happens.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:35:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

He just wanted to get home to this place

https://www.tonypacko.com/
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Klinger walks into the shot, on a guard post, carrying an M1, wearing a sun dress and a big bonnet.

View Quote

The show was basically anti-american, anti-military, with the good guys hating the army and bad guys loving the army.
The show treated North Korean soldiers as sympathetic characters.
Long haired doctors, BJ Honeycutt wearing pink underwear tops, and Klinger etc.
The show sucked.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Klinger was only doing that to get a section 8 discharge...
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:40:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He was playing a gig to get tossed out and sent home. He wasn’t s nut case a the Col always told him no.

He was a good member of the MASH team and of value to everyone there. Potter knew it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:40:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was dragged to one several years ago. It was awefull. I lasted perhaps half an hour as it was packed and I couldn't escape sooner. Finally an opportunity to make a break came and I sat out in the lobby until the Missus came out and we GTFO of Portland. One of the "chicks" was named Needle Trax or something to that effect. My wife and adult daughter love that shit for some reason.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:45:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I liked it. Lefty intent or not it did a good job showing the absurdity of government.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:48:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s a joke because humor often uses irreverent topics of the culture within which to work.

When men aren’t supposed to wear dresses, it makes people laugh at the ridiculousness of seeing men in dresses.

But when the normalized culture is that man/woman doesn’t really mean anything or that men are supposed to be exalted when they want to wear dresses, then humor can’t cut against that grain.

I was watching reruns of Everybody Loves Raymond this week and there was the episode where the twins want to be fairies in the school play and another where Robert tells Stephania’s father he’s gay to explain why he broke up with her. There’s no way those no way the jokes in those scripts makes it to production in 2022 because the whole masculinity/femininity structure that provided the cultural context for the jokes is being dismantled.

The interesting thing is that kids today would see those jokes as hurtful and old-fashioned and therefore worthy of revile. But back in those days, the traditional conservatives would have seen making light of those issues as leftist Hollywood culture gradually stripping offensiveness from those ideas.

Given the trajectory of our culture, I don’t know that the conservatives of that day weren’t wrong. When you think about it, offensive things do end up normalized and “being laughed at” is one of those intermediary stages that leads to normalization.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#31]
You will never see another TV show with a black character named Spearchucker Jones.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:50:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The show was basically anti-american, anti-military, with the good guys hating the army and bad guys loving the army.
The show sucked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The show sucked.

Not at all. It was the 80s version of this site's ACABs, instead just AMABs, pointing out the ridiculousness of "true believer" .gov ass kissers.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes, he was trying to get a section 8 discharge (which was a real thing back in the day.)  Nowadays cross dressing in the biden administration gets you promoted.
View Quote

At least until you start to steal luggage out of airports
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:53:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I remember that one.  Didn't remember that he was acting gay.  Actually I probably didn't ever catch onto it because I didn't know what gay was at that age.

The first show with gay people that I remember was much later.  Called Will and Grace.
View Quote

Perhaps The Hollywood Squares was before your time.  Paul Lynde was quite "out."
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:06:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Remember Oscar Winner Tom Hanks in "Bosom Buddies?"

Sure they were doing for "economic reasons / rent" but still it was an era when people laughed at men who dressed like women.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:14:37 AM EDT
[#38]
I was a kid when the last half of MASH was on. I thought it was great and even at 5-6 I got the joke because it was abundantly clear what he was doing. It was funny...a man dressed as a woman.

Now I will admit that it was a little later that I realized that Jack was pretending to be gay, or I should say what that really meant. As an adult I still find Three's Company funny.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#39]
The Birdcage (which was a remake), Tootsie, Mrs. Doubtfire, Rocky Horror Picture Show, the list is longer than you realize.

It’s okay OP, you’ll live. But let’s be honest, if you haven’t been groomed yet, you’re just not attractive.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:15:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If you watched MASH as a kid, it was wasn’t before your time. It was a sitcom in the 80’s.

Tom Hanks and a buddy have to pretend to be girls to live in some all-girl apartment building or something like that. It was before Tom Hanks got big into movies.  I might have it backwards. Maybe it was at work that they had to pretend to be girls.

Either way, it was similar to Klinger in MASH in that they did the drag thing out of “necessity” borne of their circumstances. So the humor in it all, supposedly anyway, is that they were forced into it by circumstances and the joke setups then stem from the tension of them NOT supposed to be dressed that way.

Which actually is an indication of how far society has evolved in the last 40-50 years. You could basically create a sitcom built around the premise that men are NOT supposed to be in dresses in the 80’s and attract top shelf corporate sponsors on a major network during prime time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure why I don’t remember it.  It also could be that we only had an antenna and three channels.  No cable. My friends in town that had cable had a few more channels.  Cable wasn’t even available in the country and my parents would never have paid for it anyway.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:18:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The show sucked.
View Quote
The show certainly was left and antiwar. It was set in Korea but it was a protest of Vietnam.
However it's never felt like much of a stretch to me that a bunch of drafted doctors didn't have much respect for the army and would much rather their patients not be a bunch of otherwise healthy young men with holes blown in them.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:18:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Three channels?

No UHF/VHF?
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:18:32 AM EDT
[#43]
I found that I like thigh gap watching tv as a yoot.  Wonder Woman.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Three channels?

No UHF/VHF?
View Quote

We lived an hour away from the nearest small town.  It was an antenna.  When you wanted to change the channel one person had to go outside and turn the antenna until you got the best signal while the person inside by the TV shouted “little to the right.  Too far,  back left a bit, stop there”
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Tootsie was good.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

We lived an hour away from the nearest small town.  It was an antenna.  When you wanted to change the channel one person had to go outside and turn the antenna until you got the best signal while the person inside by the TV shouted “little to the right.  Too far,  back left a bit, stop there”
View Quote

Wife and I do that now, only with walkie talkies.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:27:22 AM EDT
[#47]
The brits always seemed to think a man in a dress was a ripping good time
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:28:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

They still are.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:28:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I watched MASH as a young child, so I have an incomplete memory of the characters and nuance of the show, but my recollection is that aside from regular outbursts designed to get attention Klinger was hard-working and well-grounded. One of the themes of his character was that he tried to act crazy to escape the war, but in doing so made the argument that no sane person would want to be part of it. You could argue that by protesting and trying to go home without hurting anyone, he was the most sane person there.
View Quote

That's Catch-22.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:35:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The brits always seemed to think a man in a dress was a ripping good time
View Quote

Funny you should should say that.  I’ve noticed that too.  And most of their bachelor parties/stag dos the groom is forced to wear a dress.  Not something you see in the US much.  But most American bachelor parties I’ve been to have been more about partying than hazing/humiliation.  That’s a Brit/Canadian thing.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top