Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 2:50:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I never really sell guns. But between all of my friends and acquaintances who are gun people, I really don't have to post them publicly. I just bring up I have a gun I no longer want and someone will claim it. Easy peasy.  People I know and cash.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Coonman Northam and Va Dems plus 2 Va GOP assholes gave us UBC's. So FTF sales have to go through and FFL now.
Before I asked to see a valid Va DL and a CCW permit if they had it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 3:37:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would take picture of their license bare minimum. Last time I sold to a stranger, which was many years ago, I luckily checked his license. I wrote down the basic info. (This was before phone cameras.). Got a call from the ATF some months afterwards wanting to know who I sold it too. Gave them the guys name and the ATF guy said “this guy is known to us”. I guess he had been buying guns in Maine and selling them illicitly in Mass. Funny thing is this guy showed up in a company truck. Didn’t hesitate to show me his license and we had a short but good chat. One of the most secure feelings I had when I sold a gun FTF. After that I didn’t sell to strangers anymore.
View Quote

There’s so many things wrong and eye opening with this bullshit right here.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 3:39:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I figure it demonstrates due diligence to see their ID to show state residency and confirm they're of legal age. I hate that the law exists, but I did have an underage guy try to buy something once that got a little tense when I had to tell him no. Big thanks to Rick Scott and the anti-gun coward caucus in the FL GOP for that one...

View Quote

Speaking of the law…….

The law doesn’t require a seller in a private party transaction to check ID.

The glowies thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 3:39:08 PM EDT
[#5]
cash
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Nothing. Obviously if something seems 'off' I wont sell, but otherwise I don't care.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 3:41:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

OP, did you fill out papers when you bought the gun? Yea, you go ahead & sell it like it's apple pie at the county fair. And don't think twice when that acquaintance decides later he's bored with it and then sells it to a drinking buddy friend, and that guy loans it to his drugged out felon cousin, and the next guy steals it from him, etc, etc??  When it's found in a home invasion murder 6 towns down the road and they trace it back to you, take solace in knowing that it's your constitutional right to hire the best attorneys money can buy!! lol....lol.... be sure to show em this thread during your civil lawsuit trial too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I see some crazy recommendations on here dealing with selling guns. Things that are above and beyond what is required by law. Stuff the gun haters would love.

I’m in the camp that I’m exchanging my property for cash. I don’t want to know the buyers name or see ID. Give me money and leave.

OP, did you fill out papers when you bought the gun? Yea, you go ahead & sell it like it's apple pie at the county fair. And don't think twice when that acquaintance decides later he's bored with it and then sells it to a drinking buddy friend, and that guy loans it to his drugged out felon cousin, and the next guy steals it from him, etc, etc??  When it's found in a home invasion murder 6 towns down the road and they trace it back to you, take solace in knowing that it's your constitutional right to hire the best attorneys money can buy!! lol....lol.... be sure to show em this thread during your civil lawsuit trial too.

Do you have any legal precedent of this ever happening to a seller in a state where a private party transfer is allowed and all laws were followed?

Or is this just some scary fantasy you heard your Fudd friends talking about?
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 3:41:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Can anybody quote ANY case law where someone was charged for a crime committed with a firearm that they legally sold without a BOS or other paperwork? I mean with legal proceedings being public record and all.

In a world where someone picking their nose in public is a newsworthy story, there should be some, correct?

And I mean legit case law? Not a friend of a friend, or "I heard" or some Internet lore.
View Quote

That gets asked in everyone of these threads and none of them can.

It’s just a fantasy they’ve thought up.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 3:42:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I show up to the sale location naked, and require the buyer to do the same. That way I know they’re not wearing a wire and they know the same about me. Then we exchange cash. That’s it.

Basic courtesy.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Selling - Cash

Buying- Most anyone asked was flash a State ID.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#11]
So over 30% of poll responses are fellow GDers enacting more stringent laws upon their fellow gun owners than is required by law.

And everyone thinks we will stand together to defend the second amendment?

The second amendment is doomed. It’s only a matter of time.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I see some crazy recommendations on here dealing with selling guns. Things that are above and beyond what is required by law. Stuff the gun haters would love.

I'm in the camp that I'm exchanging my property for cash. I don't want to know the buyers name or see ID. Give me money and leave.
View Quote
Cash.  That and generally ask something to the effect of "Are you prohibited from owning or purchasing this?"    That way I've asked if it ever comes up.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 7:36:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I show up to the sale location naked, and require the buyer to do the same. That way I know they’re not wearing a wire and they know the same about me. Then we exchange cash. That’s it.

Basic courtesy.
View Quote

Be shure to check their prison wallet, one can never be too cautious.

ETA: Of course basic courtesy would be to allow the buyer to check yours, too.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 11:23:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Lol, why didn't the mom buy the gun? She could gift it to him legally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cash, and no physical mtg unless we agreed on price already, my background check is how they present themselves through the texting interaction.

Also, I have to say, everyone I have met buying/selling have been really nice folks.

Not me.  Twice I've come across teenagers wanting to buy a handgun who misrepresented their age.  When you show up with your mom driving, that's a clue.  (Texas Gun Trader.)

Lol, why didn't the mom buy the gun? She could gift it to him legally.

The jackasses lied to me. No one is buying a gun at that point.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 11:35:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Usually nothing but payment.  But the last two buyers in FTF transactions asked if I wanted a photo of their ID.
Link Posted: 12/5/2022 11:42:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I just ask to se an id that matches the name they’ve been using and ask if they are allowed to own firearms. I’ve been shown a dl, their chl, another gun they had in a drawer (to show he could own guns).

I’ve been asked for ID, and to fill out a bill of sale, which I obliged.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 9:16:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
COVID vaccination card
View Quote

I actually LOL'd at this.

If I thought people actually had a sense of humor, I'd put that in my next ad.  "Must show evidence of current Covid vaccination."
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 9:17:58 AM EDT
[#18]
I simply don’t. I would just trade it in.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 9:22:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I don’t sell guns
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 9:27:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Nothing really, but I've had PD run the serial numbers after some transaction when dealing with questionable sellers. Once I didn't and it was a "hot" rifle.
View Quote

Wait...how did you find out it was "hot" if it was the one time you didn't run the serial?
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Cash.  That and generally ask something to the effect of "Are you prohibited from owning or purchasing this?"    That way I've asked if it ever comes up.
View Quote

@jhereg  What proof would there be of you asking this?  Are you recording the transaction somehow?  If not, it doesn't matter what you said without proof.  

This also goes for anyone asking to see a drivers license or other ID.  Unless you are taking a picture or recording info, you have no proof of this info.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 10:13:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

@jhereg  What proof would there be of you asking this?  Are you recording the transaction somehow?  If not, it doesn't matter what you said without proof.  

This also goes for anyone asking to see a drivers license or other ID.  Unless you are taking a picture or recording info, you have no proof of this info.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

None other than my word.  I can truthfully say I asked if they were prohibited from purchasing or owning it.   I figure that's my due diligence.  I can't and don't want to call some number to check.  I don't want to see their ID.   If they're going to buy it illegally they're probably going to lie to me but I did what I figure I should and at that point it's on them.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So over 30% of poll responses are fellow GDers enacting more stringent laws upon their fellow gun owners than is required by law.

And everyone thinks we will stand together to defend the second amendment?

The second amendment is doomed. It’s only a matter of time.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/6/2022 12:06:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I have them run through a lie detector after obtaining their DNA and passport

Make about 15 calls to verify the information and wait for the DNA test to return

In the meantime they can fill out the application and pay for the application fee

Run a credit check on them and check with the schools to see if their kids are attending

Ask for log in information to all of their social media accounts and if all check out I will take them to an FFL for the transfer
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Wait...how did you find out it was "hot" if it was the one time you didn't run the serial?
View Quote

Got a call from a detective about a week or two after the deal. The kid who sold it to me got popped with a trunk full of meth and a couple of other stolen rifles that led back to the same safe theft. Took me almost a year to get it back. 95% sure it was an insurance scam. The guy who had his guns "stolen" denied this one was his even though it was a fairly rare rifle and was found with a few of his other firearms. So, I eventually got to keep it. He got his insurance. Everyone won, except the kid with meth and stolen rifles of course.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 6:02:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Money of course, and BOS to cover my ass

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Sell a gun?

I am not familiar with that term. What does that mean?
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#28]
We buy guns here. We do not sell our guns.
What about the gun's feels?
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#29]
OP, did you ever see "Ronin"?

When I sold my G27 to my office manager, it was a lot like that.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 7:27:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

An FFL is allowed to "change hats" and sell personal property as a private individual. ATF does frown upon signing guns out to oneself and then selling them privately but selling an "off-the-books" gun from one's personal collection is OK.
View Quote

Uh, no. If it was that easy I wouldn't need to do a single 4473 on any buyer ever.
§ 478.125a Personal firearms collection.
1. An FFL who is a corporation or LLC, must complete a 4473 and NICS check on himself before moving a firearm from business inventory to his personal collection. If he subsequently decides to sell that firearm before a year has elapsed.....he logs it back to his business inventory and the buyer completes a 4473 and NICS check.
2.An FFL who is a sole proprietor CAN designate a particular firearm or firearms as part of his "personal collection". If he sells that firearm within the year, he must log it back into his business inventory and the buyer must complete a 4473 and pass NICS.

For firearms that have been in the licensees personal collection for a year, No 4473 or NICS check is required. But it is required that the licensee record the name and address of the transferee and the date of birth of the transferee.. In addition, the licensee shall cause the transferee, if other than a licensee, to be identified in any manner customarily used in commercial transactions (e.g., a drivers license).

TL/DR:
Licensees who sell a firearm before one year from their personal collections have to treat the sale like any other from their business inventory.
For firearms that have been in his personal collection for at least a year, the buyers name, address, birthdate are required.
Either way, the buyer is going to have the information on their drivers license or other government issued photo ID recorded by that dealer. So, no sale is "off the books".
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Most of what I've sold has been to fellow members of some forum where I had advertised it.

FTF handguns go through FFL here. Long guns are just a meet up and exchange if they have any history on the forum I've advertised on.

If I don't have that, or they feel sketchy, I want to see a photo ID and LTCF. Maybe even a BOS. Especially if I did a 4473 when I purchased it and/or it's "tactical".
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 8:35:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
In this thread all the fudds out themselves.

Cash and carry. Don’t look like a dirtbag is just about my only requirement.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 8:40:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've never sold a gun.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 8:42:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The jackasses lied to me. No one is buying a gun at that point.
View Quote

Had a guy lie to me about his name. Didn't sell him shit. I looked up his Facebook page and saw some sketchy memes, then googled his real name and come to find out he was arrested in Wisconsin for firing off an AK in an apartment complex because he was "celebrating" 4th of July.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 8:45:20 AM EDT
[#35]
FTF hasn’t been a thing in nj since 2018/2019. Everything has to go through an FFL now.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 8:52:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Payment in the agreed upon format, whether cash, check, silver or trade. You pay me, you take the gun, I thank you.
View Quote

Check?!

LOL
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#37]
If you wear white sunglasses or too much hair gel, you will not FTF with me.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 9:05:02 AM EDT
[#38]
I don't ask for anything because I no longer sell FtF.

The few FtF transactions I did perform here in PA I always did a bill of sale and asked to see their PA concealed carry permit.  It being legal or not, I am not just going to hand over a weapon thats traceable back to me to someone I only know off the internet.  

Eventually I just got to busy to deal with arranging a meetup with someone and also realized I didn't want the potential hassle of an AFT visit should something happen with that weapon, and of course in the back of my mind there were always worries about some type of liability (lawsuit, etc.) should something happen so these days I just sell online and use a local FFL to ship out the gun.

I'm sure all of that will rustle some jimmies here..but whatever.  My guns, my rules.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 9:50:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don't ask for anything because I no longer sell FtF.

The few FtF transactions I did perform here in PA I always did a bill of sale and asked to see their PA concealed carry permit.  It being legal or not, I am not just going to hand over a weapon thats traceable back to me to someone I only know off the internet.  

Eventually I just got to busy to deal with arranging a meetup with someone and also realized I didn't want the potential hassle of an AFT visit should something happen with that weapon, and of course in the back of my mind there were always worries about some type of liability (lawsuit, etc.) should something happen so these days I just sell online and use a local FFL to ship out the gun.

I'm sure all of that will rustle some jimmies here..but whatever.  My guns, my rules, my vagina.
View Quote

Seems appropriate, especially that last part.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 9:58:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
We buy guns here. We do not sell our guns.
What about the gun's feels?
View Quote

I've sold more guns than most here have owned.

No regerts about any of the sales.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:00:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
FTF hasn’t been a thing in nj since 2018/2019. Everything has to go through an FFL now.
View Quote

It was like that here for handguns until 2005 or so.

Of course everyone in BFE Missouri followed that law lol.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:00:24 AM EDT
[#42]
All I need is cash.

AIRBORNE!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Wait you guys sell guns you buy?  

Actually haven't ever sold one...though might be soon.

Michigan you have to fill out an RI-60 if it's a handgun.

Picked up a handgun from someone last weekend in a McD's parking lot, I knew the guy well I gave him the completed RI-60 and check (it was a considerable amount of money) and I was on my way.

Funny thing someone was selling an AR out of the back of their truck at the same time we were there
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#44]
If you really want it, have your wife show me her tits.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Unless its somebody I am good personal friends, a direct family member, etc. I don't do face to face firearm sales.  

While I am not super concerned about criminal liability and prosecution given the State laws in Texas are pretty much non-existent and meeting the Federal legal burden is also extremely low, there is real potential civil liability issues if something goes wrong with a firearm you sell (dealer or individual).  If you sell a firearm FTF and that individual takes it home and kills themselves or uses it to rob and kill somebody you may very well end up getting sued by the deceased/victims family.  (especially if the sale through no fault of your own was "technically" found to be an illegal  transfer because the buyer misrepresented to you their age, their State of residence, or their prohibited status due to mental health issues and/or criminal background, etc.)

Outside of the civil liability concern specific for firearms, there is also the pain in the ass factor and just overall general sales risk issue with any anonymous and/or cash FTF style direct sales transaction.

I also don't sell firearms FTF for the same reason I don't sell used tools on eBay, or used furniture on Craiglist, or sell vehicles Autotrader, or anything on the EE here anymore,  etc.

In my personal experience with direct sales to the general public, the consumer buyer pool at this point is so tainted  with outright scammers, folks trying change the terms of the deal after initial agreement, folks asking you to do something illegal, claims there is something is wrong with the item once they get it home, never register the vehicle in their name, and/or the risk of getting robbed during a cash transaction in a parking lot,  etc. is just not worth the trouble to me anymore.

Whatever haircut I take on the sales price to pass that item through a commercial dealer (be that an FFL for a gun, Carmax for a vehicle, a Pawnshop for a tool, or just donating items to Goodwill for stuff with limited value) its totally worth it to not have to deal with the general public and the risk/PITA factor direct sales have become now a days.

I wish that wasn't the case but its the world we all live in now.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:46:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
... If you sell a firearm FTF and that individual takes it home and kills themselves or uses it to rob and kill somebody you may very well end up getting sued by the deceased/victims family.  (especially if the sale through no fault of your own was "technically" found to be an illegal  transfer because the buyer misrepresented to you their age, their State of residence, or their prohibited status due to mental health issues and/or criminal background, etc.).....
View Quote

Yup. Just ask ADCO
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I would have walked from the deal. People who do this stuff should make it clear before the meeting is set.
View Quote
If the guy brought it up after I gave him the money and he gave me the gun, I would have said "Suck my dick," and walked away with my gun.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yup. Just ask ADCO
View Quote

Waaaaay different scenario. In the ADCO case, "The 70yr old further stated that the 37yr old wanted a gun, but was afraid that she couldn’t get one because she had a history of being in a mental institution..  A buyer asking to sell you a gun and disclosing a disqualifier is very different than a random FTF sale.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#50]
I always put right in my add FTF must be a legal to own resident of my state and keep a screenshot of my adds saved.

From a buying standpoint in a FTF deal I am not giving my full name, address, or letting some stranger take a photo of my DL…..so they know where to come to steal firearms or to give it to an acquaintance who does.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top