User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:30:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Waaaaay different scenario. In the ADCO case, "The 70yr old further stated that the 37yr old wanted a gun, but was afraid that she couldn’t get one because she had a history of being in a mental institution..  A buyer asking to sell you a gun and disclosing a disqualifier is very different than a random FTF sale.
View Quote

No it isn't.
The 70 year old didn't disclose to Adco what the 37 year old had told him.
Adco complied perfectly with federal law.

Adco is being sued by the 37 year olds family.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Cash
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 3:47:04 PM EDT
[#3]
cash, and I ask to see their FL CCW. No bill of sale, no photos of IDs
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 4:38:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't ask for anything because I no longer sell FtF.

The few FtF transactions I did perform here in PA I always did a bill of sale and asked to see their PA concealed carry permit.  It being legal or not, I am not just going to hand over a weapon thats traceable back to me to someone I only know off the internet.  

Eventually I just got to busy to deal with arranging a meetup with someone and also realized I didn't want the potential hassle of an AFT visit should something happen with that weapon, and of course in the back of my mind there were always worries about some type of liability (lawsuit, etc.) should something happen so these days I just sell online and use a local FFL to ship out the gun.

I'm sure all of that will rustle some jimmies here..but whatever.  My guns, my rules.
View Quote

And then you hopped in your Prius, drove to the polls and voted for Jason Fetterman.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Unless its somebody I am good personal friends, a direct family member, etc. I don't do face to face firearm sales.  

While I am not super concerned about criminal liability and prosecution given the State laws in Texas are pretty much non-existent and meeting the Federal legal burden is also extremely low, there is real potential civil liability issues if something goes wrong with a firearm you sell (dealer or individual).  If you sell a firearm FTF and that individual takes it home and kills themselves or uses it to rob and kill somebody you may very well end up getting sued by the deceased/victims family.  (especially if the sale through no fault of your own was "technically" found to be an illegal  transfer because the buyer misrepresented to you their age, their State of residence, or their prohibited status due to mental health issues and/or criminal background, etc.)

Outside of the civil liability concern specific for firearms, there is also the pain in the ass factor and just overall general sales risk issue with any anonymous and/or cash FTF style direct sales transaction.

I also don't sell firearms FTF for the same reason I don't sell used tools on eBay, or used furniture on Craiglist, or sell vehicles Autotrader, or anything on the EE here anymore,  etc.

In my personal experience with direct sales to the general public, the consumer buyer pool at this point is so tainted  with outright scammers, folks trying change the terms of the deal after initial agreement, folks asking you to do something illegal, claims there is something is wrong with the item once they get it home, never register the vehicle in their name, and/or the risk of getting robbed during a cash transaction in a parking lot,  etc. is just not worth the trouble to me anymore.

Whatever haircut I take on the sales price to pass that item through a commercial dealer (be that an FFL for a gun, Carmax for a vehicle, a Pawnshop for a tool, or just donating items to Goodwill for stuff with limited value) its totally worth it to not have to deal with the general public and the risk/PITA factor direct sales have become now a days.

I wish that wasn't the case but its the world we all live in now.
View Quote

Wow! Very sorry to hear that. Maybe the "general public" is way different in TX than here in WI but, IMO, people are about the same everywhere. I sell things on a regular basis, and I can't remember EVER having the type of problems that you describe. And I work in rough areas at times. No problems with the people there either. I can't imagine going through life having to worry about the things you describe.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 9:59:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Don't forget the anal swab! You can't be too careful these days...
View Quote

Good point!
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I ask if they're a fed.  If they are, they have to tell me
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 10:54:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Wow! Very sorry to hear that. Maybe the "general public" is way different in TX than here in WI but, IMO, people are about the same everywhere. I sell things on a regular basis, and I can't remember EVER having the type of problems that you describe. And I work in rough areas at times. No problems with the people there either. I can't imagine going through life having to worry about the things you describe.
View Quote

Just recognize who the common denominator in all these "problem sales" was.  Some people create their own problems.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I would have walked from the deal. People who do this stuff should make it clear before the meeting is set.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never done ftf with a stranger, but 2 friends of mine, one retired LEO made a deal, exchanged cash for gun, the the seller (LE0) said "oh yeah, I need to get a picture of your DL" Other guy gave it to him but I thought it was a real bullshit move.

I would have walked from the deal. People who do this stuff should make it clear before the meeting is set.

Yep.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I only backed out of one sale when meeting a guy. He still had his hospital plastic bracelet on and said he wanted to end it all. Yeah....red flag, and sorry I can't help with that.  Had one other that was kinda sketchy, but I was hard up for quick cash a long time ago. He had a FL DL and said he wasn't prohibited, so I let the rifle go, took the cash and bounced. Got a serious bad vibe, but he was 70+ and lived on a boat and wanted protection. If he was another demographic, I would have sold elsewhere, but I didn't think gramps was exactly planning on a driveby with a beater of an A2 clone. He was just ....strange.

All my other transactions have been pretty cool for the most part. One old fudd thought he was going to convince me to let him make photocopies of my CCW and DL. I said he could glance at them, but no copies, no way, no how.  He said no. After I told him I was no longer interested and got up to leave, he caved and sold me the pistol. Haven't done any other business with him since, and our state gun forum is a hopping place.

I just ask are you legally permitted to purchase in FL, and if they say yes , then cash changes hands, and off I go. No BOS, no other BS. Cash and go. This is 'merica.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 8:18:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That gets asked in everyone of these threads and none of them can.

It’s just a fantasy they’ve thought up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can anybody quote ANY case law where someone was charged for a crime committed with a firearm that they legally sold without a BOS or other paperwork? I mean with legal proceedings being public record and all.

In a world where someone picking their nose in public is a newsworthy story, there should be some, correct?

And I mean legit case law? Not a friend of a friend, or "I heard" or some Internet lore.

That gets asked in everyone of these threads and none of them can.

It’s just a fantasy they’ve thought up.

Yep. I actually had a private sale gun show up at a crime scene(drug bust). Sheriff showed up at my door asking about the gun.

"I sold that 6 or 7 years ago."

"Ok, have a nice day."

That's as far as my involvement went.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Check?!

LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Payment in the agreed upon format, whether cash, check, silver or trade. You pay me, you take the gun, I thank you.

Check?!

LOL

If I sell to someone I know, why not a check?

Some stranger? Yeah he's paying cash or an agreed trade.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 8:26:00 PM EDT
[#13]
One time I had a guy that looked like a teenager. I jokingly asked for ID, turned out he was 23! Didnt look a day over 14 lol. But staying inside the law is the burden of the buyer in most states.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't sell, only acquire.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I ask them if they're legally able to purchase and to see the cash.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2022 8:53:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Handgun: I have always asked to see an ID for proof they are a state resident..cash and sometimes a bill of sale, usually the other party asks for one.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 8:58:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Show me the money!
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 9:03:48 PM EDT
[#18]
When making the deal online, I tell people I need to see a carry permit.  I don't actually need to see it, and don't ask for it at the deal, it just helps buyers self select.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 9:06:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Prior to state law changing to require bg checks on private sales, I'd ask for the amount agreed to prior to meeting.

I'd keep a screenshot of the sale post and response on the forum it was sold on for my records and that was it.

Link Posted: 12/12/2022 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Funny,  don't see to many people from Wisconsin posting in this one.
Cash and carry...

Pictures of ID? See you later,  
Go to the sheriff's department parking lot if you need a safe space.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 10:09:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
When making the deal online, I tell people I need to see a carry permit.  I don't actually need to see it, and don't ask for it at the deal, it just helps buyers self select.  
View Quote

This.
There's a Monty Python skit about an insurance company requiring a 30-day urine sample from prospective clients.  When asked why they needed it, they said "To ensure you were serious about the policy."

"Do you want me to bring it in?"
"Good lord, no!"
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 10:46:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Money
View Quote

yep, i like omeoney.

or trades.  sometimes trades better than money.

but no, i never ask to seee id.  if they are tweakers (sounding, or stupid, or if i f eel weird aboot it), i suggest we meet at PD.  that keeps em away.  but the negotioations typically weed out hte tards

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=316c5bfe53149653JmltdHM9MTY3MDgwMzIwMCZpZ3VpZD0xNGI4OGEwOS1mMTZiLTY2Y2YtMDk2NS05YWE5ZjBjMzY3OGImaW5zaWQ9NTQ0Ng&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=14b88a09-f16b-66cf-0965-9aa9f0c3678b&u=a1L3ZpZGVvcy9zZWFyY2g_cT1pZGlvY3JhY3kraStsaWtlK21vbmV5JnZpZXc9ZGV0YWlsJm1pZD0zOERDNkJEQjY2M0IyODU3NzIxODM4REM2QkRCNjYzQjI4NTc3MjE4JkZPUk09VklSRTAmcnU9JTJmc2VhcmNoJTNmcGMlM2RVNTIzJTI2cSUzZGlkaW9jcmFjeSUyYmklMmJsaWtlJTJibW9uZXklMjZmb3JtJTNkVTUyM0RG&ntb=1

idiocracy, i like money clip
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 10:53:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The few times I've done it, I asked to see a DL and copied the name and DL number with state for my records. Never asked for anything else. No DoB or SSN or address or anything. Let the buyer see what I was keeping and let them know that it would be destroyed after a year.

Nothing to do with legal and I never pretended it was. Just a CYA in case the cops came to me asking why something papered to me was found at a crime scene. I figured if the cops had that little bit, they could figure out the rest.

Nobody ever balked, and I never got any visits from the cops.

ETA: And all those records were destroyed as promised.
View Quote

You’re not “covering your ass.”
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 10:56:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Cash!
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top