Link Posted: 2/9/2022 10:34:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow. Very interesting.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#4]
"Long time passing"

Link Posted: 2/9/2022 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#5]
This is very interesting. Even if you don't necessarily agree with the bullet points, this is the reality for many younger people.

The situation has changed greatly since I was young...
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow. Very interesting.
View Quote

Definitely, and frightening.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 10:50:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
With the cowboys?
View Quote

So…. Not to the Super Bowl?

Link Posted: 2/9/2022 10:51:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Moving to states where they can live off the gub, and take drugs all they want or need?

ETA: Didnt watch the video

Link Posted: 2/9/2022 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Yo dog, I heard you like black pills...
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#10]
There is a name for this process. It has been done before. Our Constitution was written so as to preclude it ever happening again. Unfortunately we were way too smart to have a Constitution any longer – thanks in part to our fake skeptics, ‘doubting’ everything except what was important to doubt.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 10:59:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is very interesting. Even if you don't necessarily agree with the bullet points, this is the reality for many younger people.

View Quote

Some of it makes sense, some of it is being a bitch.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:03:37 AM EDT
[#13]

A lot of truth there.
I'm a Boomer but I can see why someone in their 20s would think that.

#23 is a good one
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Its the result of a generation of bad parenting.

"Momma, should I borrow $200K in student loans and get my M.A. in Gender Appreciation Art History"?
"Baby, you can be anything you want to be."

or

"I want to be an Artist when I grow up."
"That's fine son, but I'm going to cut your allowance in half. You'll need to learn to live with less, because Artists don't make shit in this world."
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like bullshit, other than rent expense and the benefits of living at home, but I don't see how that could be a long term deterrent to starting your life, maybe just getting started a little late

I will say I know one lazy piece of shit I grew up with that I've heard claims his parents need him so he can't move out, but he used to have a drug problem so I assume he's looking for excuses, and he also works part time at home depot for minimum wage. He's 37
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:15:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, I get that, but I think that many young people believe a lot of this and therefore, it is their reality.

As a nation, we have lost sight of working and sacrificing for future gain. These young people have already given up. I don't like it, but it is happening nonetheless.

They don't understand how long most of us had to work, save, and invest to get to the "good life."
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:18:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah, I get that, but I think that many young people believe a lot of this and therefore, it is their reality.

As a nation, we have lost sight of working and sacrificing for future gain. These young people have already given up. I don't like it, but it is happening nonetheless.

They don't understand how long most of us had to work, save, and invest to get to the "good life."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did a case study in college that went through how the further you get from the great depression the more the mentality switches from I get to work to I have to work. A good job used to be a privilege, now it's a burden.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:20:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

QFT...
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:22:04 AM EDT
[#19]
There is much on that list that I can't disagree with or at least understand the perspective.  
Too much of it is defeatist submission though.  I see this in a lot of the Gen-Z kids and I can't understand it.  I'm just not wired like that.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#20]
You fired them all for not getting vaxxed
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Hey, Flo. How 'bout you bundle this! Fuck that lizard and oversized turkey!  
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:26:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Well, I gave up reading all those bullet points
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's depressing especially the one about the video games. I guess that's one way to keep people
from thinking too much.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:32:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They're at the house, drawing unemployment and making TikTok videos or something.
View Quote

Easy to say, but I work with and am around younger people all the time and the article is accurate. (I'm 53)
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:33:32 AM EDT
[#25]
It’s a wonder that more parents aren’t cashing out the house, buying a liveaboard boat/RV, and riding off into the sunset.

Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

As a soon to retire boomer, I can relate to a few of these bullet points.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It's depressing especially the one about the video games. I guess that's one way to keep people
from thinking too much.
View Quote
I talked to my brother about this a decade ago. As video games continue to get better and more immersive even larger numbers of people will flock to them in droves to escape the realities of real life. When VR is perfected it will become a crisis level societal issue.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You fired them all for not getting vaxxed
View Quote

“Essential Workers Only”.   Just hearing your government say that, even if you didn’t remember the “deplorable” tag.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#29]
guy I work with is in his mid 40's and decided hes going to quit. put in his notice last month and his last day is this friday.

sold his house a couple months ago and is going to live with his parents.

I asked him what he was gonna do and he just said hang out for a few months and look for work sometime in the summer so he can just do nothing/whatever he wants for a while and go camping.

we all think he is making a pretty big mistake.
our job is in a technical field, he has no degree even though the position requires it and makes a hell of a salary doing it. Boss is awesome and really lenient with work schedules. does not care when you come, leave, or work on things as long as you make progress on what you are doing.

no way he is going to find another job that pays that well with no degree and has the same work environment.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Wow. Very interesting.
View Quote

This, I didn't get to finish it but there were a lot of very good points there.  I also found myself wondering how many of the people who choose not to work support communism not knowing that if this country goes communist they won't be given the choice not to work?
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It’s a wonder that more parents aren’t cashing out the house, buying a liveaboard boat/RV, and riding off into the sunset.

View Quote

I can’t.  I’m saving it for my kids.  I’m worried they won’t be able to make it with what they are facing.  If I can set them up debt free with neighboring homes they can at least look out for one another after I’m dead.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:52:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I talked to my brother about this a decade ago. As video games continue to get better and more immersive even larger numbers of people will flock to them in droves to escape the realities of real life. When VR is perfected it will become a crisis level societal issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

from thinking too much.

I’m pretty sure they said that about juke boxes and sock-hops too.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:56:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well, I gave up reading all those bullet points
View Quote

Quitter..

The list describes my 25-year-old son... my daughter? Knocking out of the park. Med school in 2023.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:56:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Started reading as I thought would be an interesting take.

Barely finished as it read like "Arfcommer/Redditor's diary" or let's make excuses to be losers.

I know a fair number of IRL people in their early/mid 20's (nieces, nephews, their SOs and friends) - and probably 80-90% of them are highly motivated and not full of the shitty excuses listed in the article.

The other 10-20% do fall into one or more of the traps listed. But every generation has had its share of layabouts and excuse-makers.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:59:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wonder if it has something to do with many boomers having parents that farmed so they went to work all day without a word. Youth today seen parents struggle to make ends meet working overtime through their whole childhood.

We as a people have evolved and been shaped by those before us.
Maybe this is just the next logical step. Think, if we all were the same from every generation, we probably would have no innovation. We used to have to walk everywhere and hunt/ gather when we were hungry. Nobody wants that but they would look at us the way we look at those in the article.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 11:59:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
There is much on that list that I can't disagree with or at least understand the perspective.  
Too much of it is defeatist submission though.  I see this in a lot of the Gen-Z kids and I can't understand it.  I'm just not wired like that.
View Quote

I can see that, and I agree. But a good question is what else is there for a 20something person to see or look towards?

There are very few jobs where you actually learn something that are put in front of kids/teens/20s that drive you towards bettering yourself and being able to do things that can make you feel proud of your accomplishments that is not stigmitized by the powers that be.

We/they are told all their lives that the main thing that is important is to make money and you gotta have a good paying job or you will end in some terrible way. Trades/physical labor and skill is minimized because "I dont want you to have to work like I did."

What they miss is that can be the most rewarding and satisfying work, and that you dont have to have some fancy job or title to be happy. And that making money alone wont make you happy.

They have a whole system telling them lies about what is important. Im not surprised they feel defeated and submitted when almost anyone they look to for advice is giving them crap for it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#37]
#28 made me laugh out loud.

After almost 35 years of being in the work 'force' I can understand most of these points, especially someone starting out in the last 5 to 10 years. It makes me wonder how much of this list would change if the parents were tougher though. They sound like wimps.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 12:03:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Hey, Flo. How 'bout you bundle this! Fuck that lizard and oversized turkey!  
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/476-342.gif

View Quote

Everything is a tactic to get more of your money from you. ‘Spend all your money with us and you’ll save $10’ (not sure how much you really save) then their increases outpace competitors (not sure on that either)

My boss will give us $500 off a vehicle  from his dealership.
Smart but he pays us money and we pay a good chunk of that back to him. Fuck that
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 12:03:24 PM EDT
[#39]
If they can get away with not working then why bother.

I get it

At 26 years old though I am guessing living in the now wont do any good when he is older.

Link Posted: 2/9/2022 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#40]
The one about not having kids is ominous.  I wonder what the taxpayer birth rate is in our country compared to the welfare rats and turdworld criminal invaders.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 12:09:25 PM EDT
[#41]
sounds like the people the gov juiced on that planet at the end of the _serenity_ movie.       now we just need the reavers to kick things off
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
guy I work with is in his mid 40's and decided hes going to quit. put in his notice last month and his last day is this friday.

I asked him what he was gonna do and he just said hang out for a few months and look for work sometime in the summer so he can just do nothing/whatever he wants for a while and go camping.

our job is in a technical field, he has no degree even though the position requires it and makes a hell of a salary doing it. Boss is awesome and really lenient with work schedules. does not care when you come, leave, or work on things as long as you make progress on what you are doing.

no way he is going to find another job that pays that well with no degree and has the same work environment.
View Quote

Can I take his place?
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 12:13:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 12:13:16 PM EDT
[#44]
If they're going to give out money, it should be to productive people instead of unproductive.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I do consulting work and depending on how long my assignments are I take a break of a few months between assignments. Last break was 3 months in 2018. I spent Halloween in NYC, traveled to Europe for two weeks and wrote a book. I've been working my current assignment for three years. I've stuck it out because of the uncertainty of Covid but come May 1st I'm done and I'm going on trip to Europe for about a month. Also want to cross a few bucket list items off.

Don't worry about your co-worker. They actually might be right and you guys left on the sinking ship might be the mistaken ones.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 12:18:25 PM EDT
[#46]
He Preach.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 12:19:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Yes, all that applies and and people think that, but there have always been people that thought like that. I wonder if the workforce (pool of available people to work) is actually shrinking in numbers; there is a reason the generation was called "boomer" and those people are retiring or already retired or dead.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

If he can afford it and it makes him happy, why shouldn't he??

I think the biggest factor is that companies have completely destroyed that last sliver of loyalty (that was already hanging on by a thread) and now people don't have any real motivation to keep doing the rat race.

Everyone knows that wealth will never come from punching someone else's clock. The system is stacked against straight white men these days. If you have the means, why not say 'fuck it,' and enjoy life for 6 months.

You can always find another soul crushing job at a later date.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yes, all that applies and and people think that, but there have always been people that thought like that. I wonder if the workforce (pool of available people to work) is actually shrinking in numbers; there is a reason the generation was called "boomer" and those people are retiring or already retired or dead.
View Quote

I can't figure out where all of the workers went. I've posted the question before, and no one seems to know.

I'm sure boomers retiring put a dent in it, but I work in tech and we have never had a significant number of boomers in that field. Yet the workforce shortage seems to be hitting us too. Where did everyone go??
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#50]
As a Millennial who said "fuck it" after a decade in an engineering career last year, I can relate to quite a few of the points on that list.

Vaccine mandates were the final straw, but the thought of spending the next few decades working for woke uber-political corporate culture that hated me just because I existed was something I was looking forward to either.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top