Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No true Irishman...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
most people dont know what they're talking about when it comes to pits. The name pit is kinda of a general term now applied to several breeds of dogs. A gamebred pitbull is pound for pound the baddest in the ring. Most of the fights were in the 35 pound range. But it is capable of taking on a dog much bigger than it. Alot of what we have running around now is a variation of the gamebred pb. Due to the fact the dogs are now being bred for looks and for money is what causing alot of problems with the problems in the breed now. Coupled with the fact of dumbass owners. So to answer the question a gamebred pb from a goodbloodline, trained, kept, and ready for a fight would be hard for just about any breed. But thats not to say another breed cant beat it.
No true Irishman...
I was just thinking about this fallacy.  It is being used by both sides.  If the dog is or isn't X, then it's 'not a true pit'.

However, there are pits and then there are pits.  The term pit gets used for all sorts of breeds and mixes that have a general molosser look, but there are some structural elements of the body that give good clues to if it is a 'true scotsman' or not.  There are also temperament tests that give good clues as well
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Had one of those mixed with Doberman. Had to beat it unconscious just to transport it to get put down.

But it did attack several men my ex girlfriend at the time brought home so he served his purpose.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

A Dogo doesnt quit, doesn't get scared and doesn't give up. If you knew the first thing about Dogo Argentinos you'd know that.
Not only the power and athleticism, the Dogo is larger as well. It was made to kill wild boars and cougars. An APBT is little more than a snack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No chance - I guarantee a Pit would chew on the Dogos big ass face until It turned tail and ran down the street.  You gotta realize those damn pit bull fights lasted HOURS .

Compared to a Tosa match that's under 20 min. . .

A Dogo doesnt quit, doesn't get scared and doesn't give up. If you knew the first thing about Dogo Argentinos you'd know that.
Not only the power and athleticism, the Dogo is larger as well. It was made to kill wild boars and cougars. An APBT is little more than a snack.
neither pits nor dogos walked off of Noah's ark.  Nor did they spring fully formed from Zeus's head like Athena.  They were made.  They share similar ancestors, and various pit types were also bred into the predecessors of the dogs that eventually bore the name Dogo de Argentino.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Several of the pit fans authoritatively claim the pit's superiority. May I ask--hypothetically, of course, since admitting illegal activities would violate COC--on what hypothetical experience your opinion might be based? Tales of fights? Records of fights between different breeds? (I freely admit my ignorance of dogfighting.)
View Quote
I've never been to an actual purposeful pit dog fight.  Have no desire to.

Also as fights are so rare, even dogs that sport records it's hard to judge what they won against....or even if they won against supposed winners, what those winners won against.

But one source is historical record back from when fighting was more common.  Thing is as mentioned before the breed could have changed or become more watered down.  So historical record is one. Current results help some.  But there's also current performance in other sports.  You know what dogs win the weight pulling contests developed by sled-dog guys to show off how strong their sled dogs were?  Pits.  Pound for pound pits are head and shoulders above others.

Of course by pure weight, it's the st bernards and the mastiffs who pull the largest weight, but that really isn't a fair comparison.

Speaking of which.

Historic records show  a 30 lb pit that could whip every other 30 lb pit would frequently fail vs an average pit of 40 lbs.  Of course as this bloodsport was even more fueled by love of gambling than love of blood, it was pretty popular to put a very well known winning pit vs an unknown 10 lbs heavier and see who would win.  It was also common to put a pit against a mutt 2x or more it's weight and see the outcome.  The fact that it was bet on with great fervor should tell you that the outcome was absolutely in question.  This should tell you two other things.  #1 pits don't magically win vs other dogs #2 pits are hell of fighters if weight is important when equal dogs mean and yet they can take down nonpits with 2x or even more their weight.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:03:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Pit Bulls are a force to be recokened with, but I'd choose a wolf hybrid any day. They are huge, instinctually know how to kill, and have too much furr for the Pit to deal with. A Pit might get a lucky strike on the neck, but any animal has a puncher's chance in that scenario.

90% of the time, the wolf hybrid will kill the Pit, then fuck it's owner.
View Quote
nope
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:12:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The very dogs you guys are mentioning that could whoop them, the Corso's, the Presa's, the mastiff type of breeds bred for security, hence the dog that doesn't like people and has the drive of a pit, but lost most of the athleticism and heart.  They were added in for size and to be "mean looking" by a bunch of morons in the early 90's.  Razor's Edge was the first bulk culprit, an idiot named Dave Wilson.  The pit bull was a 45 pound athletic dog, just didn't look mean enough, so they started engineering them for size and a large blocky head.  The American Bully was born, with fake pedigrees and a load of bullshit behind them, then Gotti got in on it, Camelot, you name it, and thanks to the Cane Corso influence many of them had the blue coloring and bam "The Blue Pit" was born.  It's not rocket science.  An old dog fighter once said, "You can turn a pit bull into a German Shepherd in 4 generations."   Perception is reality, and what everyone considers a "Pit Bull" is a pit bull, but when you've owned them for 37 years you know that the current abomination is not a pit bull in any sense of the word.

An interesting sidenote, a famous APBT breeder that was pissed at the ADBA once had his Parrot registered as a pit bull with them to prove what a joke they had become.  There is a huge pit bull problem these days, the biggest problem is they're too many of them, followed by they're not pits, followed by they're "rescued" by a naive populace hell bent on trying to prove a laughable "it's not the dog, it's the owner" theory.  I would just like to see the breed die with what dignity they have left.
View Quote
That's a very informative post. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This!

Caucasian Ovcharka vs wolf
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/URcif7MaB1o/maxresdefault.jpg
View All Quotes
that's some sort of sled dog in the picture, not a wolf.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:22:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's pretty much like every other gd dick swinging thread...except with dogs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is this thread like  "My dad can beat up your dad" except with dogs?
It's pretty much like every other gd dick swinging thread...except with dogs.
My GSD has a bigger red rocket than your pitbull.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:33:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's sarcasm, right? They dispatch a coyote quickly.  They breed pits with greyhounds, call them luchers and then they can actually run one down and kill it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A Coyote would destroy a pit.  Coyotes are wild animals that have been fighting since they were born to survive.  If a pit managed to get a hold of one sure he probably would win.  But I doubt he would. A coyote would hamstring him and waited for him to get tired.
That's sarcasm, right? They dispatch a coyote quickly.  They breed pits with greyhounds, call them luchers and then they can actually run one down and kill it.
That isn't a lurcher.  A lurcher is a sight hound x terrier or sight hound x herding breed that is used for poaching especially in those places where a full blood sighthound weren't allowed to be owned by the commoners.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:04:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I no absolutely nothing about dog fighting so I don't understand how in hell a 40-50lb pit can routinely beat a 150lb dog from other aggressive breeds
View Quote
I've seen pits attack larger aggressive dogs twice in public.  One was a large muscular mutt, and the other a purebred GSD.  The pits had their ass kicked both times.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

........................................snip......................................

Get a pit and you never know what is lurking in it's deep background.  Get a pit at the flea market and plan to use it as a fighting dog?  You'll probably be sadly mistaken.  But by the same token, there's a small chance it could be a ticking time-bomb in that pit that will one day make it attack and kill your other dog.
View Quote
This is the salient point that many of us try to convey in PitBull discussions.

Genetics and breeding are HUGE factors in dogs. My contention is that breed has more to do with behavior, temperament and character traits than looks do. The look or outer appearance give us clues about what genetic material may inside the dog, but looks along cannot tell the entire story.

People create breeds for certain purposes. A lot of trial, error and heartbreak goes into creating a breed with specific behavior traits. Once established, those traits ebb and flow through the "breed" based on the expertise (or lack thereof) from the breeder.

Random or uneducated breeding is a crapshoot. Mixing breeds is an even bigger crapshoot. With some mixes, the result is not all that important; with many domestic breeds, mixing is certainly not dangerous. Mixing Pit Fighter genetics with whatever can absolutely be dangerous.

Earl_Basset is correct- The PitBull 'breed' or type of dog should have stayed a niche breed relegated to the fighting culture. The current "Pitbull" breed contains tons of dogs who are not real fighters but are potentially dangerous for a variety of (genetic) reasons.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Boerboels do not kill leopards. They are property guardians. They aren't even considered in the upper crust of fighting dogs.

Anyone here is welcome to prove me otherwise.
View Quote
No, they aren't.  They are guardians, like you said.  I would actually pity a pit that came at my wife.

Second thought, no.  I wouldn't pity anything that came at my wife that my Boerboel destroyed.

There are no pits in South Africa guarding farms.  There are, though, a lot of very bad things in South Africa.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't even want to consider dog fighting, but to say that a pit could beat any other dog is just ridiculous.

All the guardian/protection dogs are in a completely different weight class.  They have fur and loose skin around the neck for a reason.  They have the size and power to over come threats quickly, it's not a fucking game to them, or their owners.

A pits "drive", and "never Quit" traits would be it's downfall.

Most all of the good farm protection dogs would let the pit whimper away if it stopped being a threat.  But it probably wouldn't survive their first defense.

Totally different classes of dogs.
Page / 11
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top