BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My neighbor had 2 purebred Akita’s who escaped his fenced yard and attacked our rescue Golden Retriever- she tore the nose half off one, and the ear off the other before my neighbor and his wife intervened and got their dogs home
My wife witnessed the attack, I was at work, when I got home the neighbor was pissed and wanted me to pay for his vet bills

I had a good laugh and told him to keep his dogs home , or the next time Brittany wouldn’t be so gentle with his purebreds

He was never very friendly after that
View Quote
LOL Funny story that! Hehe
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A true gamebred pb will drag himself towards the other dog, no matter how many broken legs and fatal wounds, probably smiling. If they show fear that whole bloodline is culled.

For the folks naming big dogs. Don't forget the dogs like hulk from dark dynasty kennels or whatever there called. I don't classify them as pits  myself. But since every dog that bites is considered a PB by society. I guess it is. How do you think the dogo and other big dogs would fare against them type pits?
View Quote
Hulk would probably get fucked up by a 40lb pit. He’s big, but that fucked up breeding has caused some serious issues in his joints/muscles. You can see it in how he moves
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Donkeys are crazy sumbitches
View Quote
We keep donkeys with the cows because they kill the coyotes.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Even the deaded are no match for the Cerberus.

Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:01:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know but I'd love to see a pitbull turned loose with a wild pack of wolves or hyena. Dirty summbitch would be on its back shitting itself.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Donkeys are crazy sumbitches
That's what I have heard, they seem to be some fuck you type of animal when it comes to yotes.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:10:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I usually don't participate in Pit Bull threads, largely because the thing that pisses me off the most about pit bulls is that these modern mutants are what everyone considers pit bulls.  Having had Colby, Hammond, Tudor, and Corvino lines, I can tell you these mutants are just that, mutants.  American Pit Bull Terriers are still rare, the dogs most have, most read about, most are talking about in this thread are mutts with big heads.  Having watched this happen to the breed over the last 40 years is just downright depressing.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:22:05 PM EDT
[#8]
one of them big plains dogs

Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I usually don't participate in Pit Bull threads, largely because the thing that pisses me off the most about pit bulls is that these modern mutants are what everyone considers pit bulls.  Having had Colby, Hammond, Tudor, and Corvino lines, I can tell you these mutants are just that, mutants.  American Pit Bull Terriers are still rare, the dogs most have, most read about, most are talking about in this thread are mutts with big heads.  Having watched this happen to the breed over the last 40 years is just downright depressing.
View Quote
The Pit Bull breed you're talking about should fade away into obscurity, along with the practice of pit fighting dogs against one another.

It's an inhumane and disgusting institution, practiced by the worst examples of humanity.

As I said before, I hope my Presas never have a reason to fight dog or human. They are loyal and loving companions who give us everything they have, and deserve the best we can give them.

I can't imagine being fascinated by the practice, I find it completely abhorrent.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:20:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Schwarzenegger terrier?
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The Pit Bull breed you're talking about should fade away into obscurity, along with the practice of pit fighting dogs against one another.

It's an inhumane and disgusting institution, practiced by the worst examples of humanity.

As I said before, I hope my Presas never have a reason to fight dog or human. They are loyal and loving companions who give us everything they have, and deserve the best we can give them.

I can't imagine being fascinated by the practice, I find it completely abhorrent.
View Quote
The fighting stock was never the problem, not with people anyways.  The current crop need to go bye bye and they all need to be out of 95% of the population's hands.  Petey from Little Rascal's was sired by a straight out of the pit bull.  Hell, back then the Dogmen needed guard dogs to protect their fighting stock because their grand champion fighting dog would wag it's tail and go right in the car of anyone who wanted to steal them.  Those dogs were largely very people friendly dogs.  Hell, one Grand Champion kept getting ring worm and the owner couldn't figure out how, come to find out the dog was letting a bunch of stray cats live in his dog house with him.

Never fought my dogs, only 2 ever got into a fight with a dog, that the other dog started, never went to a fight, but I respect their nature.  Contrary to belief, the dogs of yesteryear were very "walk quietly but carry a big stick" kind of dogs.  They wouldn't growl, snarl, bark, etc... they would wag their tail, get a high pitched excited bark, and want to fight another dog.  These dogs were never for everyone and have no place in modern society, but judging me for knowing the history of the breed I was basically born into is asinine and just goes right along with the ignorance surrounding the whole issue.  The dog goes well with my nature, but I won't own another because it just drains you constantly defending your dog, and yourself, when neither have done a damned thing wrong.  I stick to Miniature Bull Terriers these days, same nature without the issues 200+ years of pure breeding for gameness created, basically all the good, no bad.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:11:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ovcharka, kangal, dogo

The pit needs to get on the neck first.  Wolf hybrids and wolf country shepherds will do fine with a pit because they move fast and for the neck.  Most domesticated security dogs are bred to bark a lot as opposed to physically dominate.
View Quote
Truth. I remember a while back on Shark Tank (IIRC), a couple was looking for an investment in their protective canine business. They offered 3 “tiers” of security. I want to say the first tier was like $5 grand. As they described things, it basically would get you a dog that barks

ETA: Went back and found the episode. It was actually $20k for the first tier. Which got you a dog that barked and looked mean when someone comes to the door
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:13:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a male Anatolian that took out two.

It was very quick.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:19:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Akita. They are bred to fight bears and often do and win!
View Quote
I guy I work with choked one to death after he looked in the yard and it was attacking his son.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:45:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
To remain in COC, I wont post any dogfights.

There are videos all over the web if you know where to look where pitbulls absolutely destroy all the other breeds listed in this thread and regularly. Lots of ignorance on pit bulls ITT.

Caucasian Ovcharkas seem to be the only formidable foe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This dog is basically considered the greatest fighting pit bull of all time, Grand Champion Zebo

http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/pictures/7.jpg

He was fought at roughly 43 pounds.  I'm only up to page 2, but most of the stuff posted is ridiculous.  Airedales in open, Bull Terriers, Kangals, Akita's, Tosa's, Rottweilers, blah, the Pit Bull would routinely kill all them giving up anywhere from 20-80 pounds of uphill weight difference.  The only dog I know that routinely can kill Pit Bulls with minimal damage in return is the Caucasian Shepherd.  The Russian version of youtube has a lot of pit bull fights (and a crap ton of virus').  There's even some videos of Pit Bulls shredding wolverines in a minute.

I'm against dog fighting, always have been, but I have had pit bulls since 1981 until 2012, which was the last one I will ever own, but the pit bull was bred not to quit.  Lots of owners think their big dog is killing a pit bull, but some pit bull battles went over 2 hours.  Dogs could lose, but if they were quit, they were culled, the quit was literally bred out of the damned things.  Then Flashdance came out anad suddenly every hood rat wanted one but they wanted them bigger and meaner looking so they bred Mastiff type breeds into them, which are protection dogs, so now you have a none social protection dog that has no quit, a bad combo, hence the current problem.   A true APBT is a problem for an animal with 4 legs, they were never known to be manbiters.  Half that reason is because pit men would kill a man biter since they wouldn't be able to handle it in the pit, not because they were saints.  The one I posted bit a few people, but it was an excite biter more than anything and fought so good they put up with it.

You guys hate  pit bulls so much, and I get it, but with so much hate, you should actually read about them, their history, what the hell happened with the breed, and what the current problem really is.  Not everyone should own one, it took 3 months in 1981 to find my first one, they were rare dogs, now they're everywhere and soccer mom's keep rescuing them to prove "it's not the dog, it's the owner" which is one of the dumbest statements ever.  We breed traits into dogs, you better believe it's the dog, pit bulls have 300 plus years of breeding to do nothing but fight and not quit, those genes are deep in the breed, even with these modern mutants.
To remain in COC, I wont post any dogfights.

There are videos all over the web if you know where to look where pitbulls absolutely destroy all the other breeds listed in this thread and regularly. Lots of ignorance on pit bulls ITT.

Caucasian Ovcharkas seem to be the only formidable foe.
I'm calling  B.S.  You can't provide a vid of a pit destroying a Neapolitan Mastiff, more or less on the regular.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:45:10 PM EDT
[#16]
God those are hideous.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:48:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I no absolutely nothing about dog fighting so I don't understand how in hell a 40-50lb pit can routinely beat a 150lb dog from other aggressive breeds
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:51:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm calling  B.S.  You can't provide a vid of a pit destroying a Neapolitan Mastiff, more or less on the regular.
View Quote
Too rare of a dog for an idiot to probably even try, but I would bet my money on the pit. There's a lot of Kangal videos, all of them losing after a good amount of time of looking like they're kicking the pits ass.  Once the other breed wears out, flight mode kicks in, then it's bye bye time.  But do you notice all the dogs everyone is mentioning are almost all double the weight.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:52:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I no absolutely nothing about dog fighting so I don't understand how in hell a 40-50lb pit can routinely beat a 150lb dog from other aggressive breeds
View Quote
Not just agressive breeds, but wardogs/gladiators of almost 2000 years.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:55:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Simple, "Fight or Flight."  It's built in all animals, but we bred the damned flight mode out of pit bulls.  The pit bull will wear the other dog out until it wants to just leave, but it can't, it's too late, there's nowhere to go, and it's a horrible thing.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:56:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Too rare of a dog for an idiot to probably even try, but I would bet my money on the pit. There's a lot of Kangal videos, all of them losing after a good amount of time of looking like they're kicking the pits ass.  Once the other breed wears out, flight mode kicks in, then it's bye bye time.  But do you notice all the dogs everyone is mentioning are almost all double the weight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read some history on the Cane Corso and Neapolitan Mastiff. The Neos were actual wardogs the Romans released on enemy armies. Cane Corsos were the OG pitbull that fought lions in the Colosseum. I doubt 100 years of heritage beats out almost 2000.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:00:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Boerboel.  Hands down will fuck up any other k9 I believe.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Read some history on the Cane Corso and Neapolitan Mastiff. The Neos were actual wardogs the Romans released on enemy armies. Cane Corsos were the OG pitbull that fought lions in the Colosseum. I doubt 100 years of heritage beats out almost 2000.
View Quote
The Neopolitan Mastiff of today is not the same dog, not remotely, and you sound foolish trying to compare them.  The Neo of today is a poor breathing, cherry eyed, non athletic foot stool that has size and bite pressure as it's only tools.  It would be a quick match and keep in mind I'm speaking on averages, as I'm sure there are plenty shitty pits that would get killed by a good Neo.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:11:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
In a ring or in the open?

In the open, an Airedale would kill it.  Speed and quickness would be too much for the pit, pit gets tired, Airedales don't quit, and kills the pit.

Same with a Giant Schnauzer and a whole list of other breeds.  Basically, all the larger sight hunters/wolf hounds.

Giant coyotes?  Give me a f'in break.  Unless its a wolf that you merely think is a coyote.

A coyote would struggle to take down even a medium sized terrier.  I'm talking Irish or a small Wheaton.  A Kerry Blue would make quick work of a coyote.
View Quote
@Ernesto556

Could a Great Dane kill it in the open?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:11:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The fighting stock was never the problem, not with people anyways.  The current crop need to go bye bye and they all need to be out of 95% of the population's hands.  Petey from Little Rascal's was sired by a straight out of the pit bull.  Hell, back then the Dogmen needed guard dogs to protect their fighting stock because their grand champion fighting dog would wag it's tail and go right in the car of anyone who wanted to steal them.  Those dogs were largely very people friendly dogs.  Hell, one Grand Champion kept getting ring worm and the owner couldn't figure out how, come to find out the dog was letting a bunch of stray cats live in his dog house with him.

Never fought my dogs, only 2 ever got into a fight with a dog, that the other dog started, never went to a fight, but I respect their nature.  Contrary to belief, the dogs of yesteryear were very "walk quietly but carry a big stick" kind of dogs.  They wouldn't growl, snarl, bark, etc... they would wag their tail, get a high pitched excited bark, and want to fight another dog.  These dogs were never for everyone and have no place in modern society, but judging me for knowing the history of the breed I was basically born into is asinine and just goes right along with the ignorance surrounding the whole issue.  The dog goes well with my nature, but I won't own another because it just drains you constantly defending your dog, and yourself, when neither have done a damned thing wrong.  I stick to Miniature Bull Terriers these days, same nature without the issues 200+ years of pure breeding for gameness created, basically all the good, no bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the human aggressive trait displayed in modern day pits came from where exactly?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:12:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm sure this one could.  
But, first, look how sweet and gentle this one is with children.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/46582/1111_jpg-724299.JPG
View Quote
I give up... WTF is that thing?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:15:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sure this one could.  

Hyena
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:16:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sure this one could.  

An Aborigine ?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:25:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I agree completely. Well said.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:26:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Carl says I'll play!
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:29:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So the human aggressive trait displayed in modern day pits came from where exactly?
View Quote
The very dogs you guys are mentioning that could whoop them, the Corso's, the Presa's, the mastiff type of breeds bred for security, hence the dog that doesn't like people and has the drive of a pit, but lost most of the athleticism and heart.  They were added in for size and to be "mean looking" by a bunch of morons in the early 90's.  Razor's Edge was the first bulk culprit, an idiot named Dave Wilson.  The pit bull was a 45 pound athletic dog, just didn't look mean enough, so they started engineering them for size and a large blocky head.  The American Bully was born, with fake pedigrees and a load of bullshit behind them, then Gotti got in on it, Camelot, you name it, and thanks to the Cane Corso influence many of them had the blue coloring and bam "The Blue Pit" was born.  It's not rocket science.  An old dog fighter once said, "You can turn a pit bull into a German Shepherd in 4 generations."   Perception is reality, and what everyone considers a "Pit Bull" is a pit bull, but when you've owned them for 37 years you know that the current abomination is not a pit bull in any sense of the word.

An interesting sidenote, a famous APBT breeder that was pissed at the ADBA once had his Parrot registered as a pit bull with them to prove what a joke they had become.  There is a huge pit bull problem these days, the biggest problem is they're too many of them, followed by they're not pits, followed by they're "rescued" by a naive populace hell bent on trying to prove a laughable "it's not the dog, it's the owner" theory.  I would just like to see the breed die with what dignity they have left.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:47:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:51:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The very dogs you guys are mentioning that could whoop them, the Corso's, the Presa's, the mastiff type of breeds bred for security, hence the dog that doesn't like people and has the drive of a pit, but lost most of the athleticism and heart.  They were added in for size and to be "mean looking" by a bunch of morons in the early 90's.  Razor's Edge was the first bulk culprit, an idiot named Dave Wilson.  The pit bull was a 45 pound athletic dog, just didn't look mean enough, so they started engineering them for size and a large blocky head.  The American Bully was born, with fake pedigrees and a load of bullshit behind them, then Gotti got in on it, Camelot, you name it, and thanks to the Cane Corso influence many of them had the blue coloring and bam "The Blue Pit" was born.  It's not rocket science.  An old dog fighter once said, "You can turn a pit bull into a German Shepherd in 4 generations."   Perception is reality, and what everyone considers a "Pit Bull" is a pit bull, but when you've owned them for 37 years you know that the current abomination is not a pit bull in any sense of the word.

An interesting sidenote, a famous APBT breeder that was pissed at the ADBA once had his Parrot registered as a pit bull with them to prove what a joke they had become.  There is a huge pit bull problem these days, the biggest problem is they're too many of them, followed by they're not pits, followed by they're "rescued" by a naive populace hell bent on trying to prove a laughable "it's not the dog, it's the owner" theory.  I would just like to see the breed die with what dignity they have left.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that, is asinine.

There is, statistically speaking, no other breed currently more prone to unprovoked attacks on humans. You say the original design is nothing like the modern day iteration but I think we can agree it's a fairly direct descendant. None of the other breeds you mention that were introduced are predominately represented in the modern day pit bull's constitution, be it physical or temperamental. Modern day pits do not look like Presas or Corsos, they look like slightly heavier versions of the original design. Of course there are exceptions to that statement because there is really no breed standard, but in general terms the pits of today look more like the pits of 50 years ago than they do any other breed. And they don't behave like the other breeds either.

I'm familiar with the pit morphing breeders you mentioned and their mutations. Trashy breeders catering to morons.

My Presas do not exhibit ill temperament, even my female who seems to generally dislike everything but us. They will approach a stranger with suspicion but once it's apparent that there's no threat the tail starts wagging and they're keen to get a pat on the head.

There are exceptions to this statement too, there always will be. In general though, Presas and Corsos do not attack and/or kill people unprovoked.

I'm a dog enthusiast and always have been. I prefer flock guardians over all other groups. I cannot stand what the pit bull was engineered to do and detest the breed to this day.

The breed has zero dignity with the exception of a few fringe enthusiasts who attach value to the dog who can best kill another for sport.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:00:25 AM EDT
[#34]
My friend Bob was living with his girlfriend in Campbell, OH.  He had 2 Akitas at the time, but I think only his smaller female was there.  Pitbull owner moves in across the street.  He asks Bob if he fights his Akita, Bob says only low-life shitbags fight dogs.  Akita is in front yard chained in her own yard, chain limits Akita to her own property line.  Pitbull guy brings his dog over to attack the Akita.  Akita acts submissive as dog runs at her, then lunges up and seizes pitbull by the neck, choking and ripping its throat out.  Owner starts freaking out, threatening to call the police that the Akita killed his dog.  Police tell him to FOAD, dog was on her property.

A few days later, guy shows up with an even bigger pit bull.  Bob now keeps his Akita in a fenced in back yard.  Girlfriend sees guy bring his pitbull down the driveway, unlock and open the gate to the back yard, and "sic" his dog on the Akita.  She bows in submission, then as the pitbull approaches, she lunges and pins the pitbull by the neck, crushing its neck and killing the dog. Owner starts freaking out.  Girlfriend comes out with a Mossberg 500 shotgun and tells him to leave.  Guy leaves, then calls Police on a "vicious" dog that killed his pitbull.  Police show up and charge him with trespass and some other violations. Moves away short time later.

Occurred about 20 years ago.  Both of Bob's Akitas have passed, as well as one of his 2 St. Bernard replacements.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:06:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My friend Bob was living with his girlfriend in Campbell, OH.  He had 2 Akitas at the time, but I think only his smaller female was there.  Pitbull owner moves in across the street.  He asks Bob if he fights his Akita, Bob says only low-life shitbags fight dogs.  Akita is in front yard chained in her own yard, chain limits Akita to her own property line.  Pitbull guy brings his dog over to attack the Akita.  Akita acts submissive as dog runs at her, then lunges up and seizes pitbull by the neck, choking and ripping its throat out.  Owner starts freaking out, threatening to call the police that the Akita killed his dog.  Police tell him to FOAD, dog was on her property.

A few days later, guy shows up with an even bigger pit bull.  Bob now keeps his Akita in a fenced in back yard.  Girlfriend sees guy bring his pitbull down the driveway, unlock and open the gate to the back yard, and "sic" his dog on the Akita.  She bows in submission, then as the pitbull approaches, she lunges and pins the pitbull by the neck, crushing its neck and killing the dog. Owner starts freaking out.  Girlfriend comes out with a Mossberg 500 shotgun and tells him to leave.  Guy leaves, then calls Police on a "vicious" dog that killed his pitbull.  Police show up and charge him with trespass and some other violations. Moves away short time later.

Occurred about 20 years ago.  Both of Bob's Akitas have passed, as well as one of his 2 St. Bernard replacements.
View Quote
Akitas are phenomenal, second only to Presas for me. If it weren't for my preference for short hair I'd probably own Akitas.

A good friend of mine always had them. They're incredibly intelligent and a bit mystical.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:10:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Now that, is asinine.

There is, statistically speaking, no other breed currently more prone to unprovoked attacks on humans. You say the original design is nothing like the modern day iteration but I think we can agree it's a fairly direct descendant. None of the other breeds you mention that were introduced are predominately represented in the modern day pit bull's constitution, be it physical or temperamental. Modern day pits do not look like Presas or Corsos, they look like slightly heavier versions of the original design. Of course there are exceptions to that statement because there is really no breed standard, but in general terms the pits of today look more like the pits of 50 years ago than they do any other breed. And they don't behave like the other breeds either.

I'm familiar with the pit morphing breeders you mentioned and their mutations. Trashy breeders catering to morons.

My Presas do not exhibit ill temperament, even my female who seems to generally dislike everything but us. They will approach a stranger with suspicion but once it's apparent that there's no threat the tail starts wagging and they're keen to get a pat on the head.

There are exceptions to this statement too, there always will be. In general though, Presas and Corsos do not attack and/or kill people unprovoked.

I'm a dog enthusiast and always have been. I prefer flock guardians over all other groups. I cannot stand what the pit bull was engineered to do and detest the breed to this day.

The breed has zero dignity with the exception of a few fringe enthusiasts who attach value to the dog who can best kill another for sport.
View Quote
You're just running on emotion, with about zero facts because you have one and have feels. I'm not defending the modern pit, and saying the old game bred pits shouldn't be in most people's hands.  Presa's and Corso's have both killed people, provoked or unprovoked, but I agree that they're not known killers, but they are security prone, i.e; "grab and hold."  Now you add that to "fight to death and ignore all pain" and you have the current pit issue.  The current "Pit Bulls" are fucked up, plain and simple, and Presa's and Corso's were both the main dogs Wilson used to create the Bully, he also used American Bulldogs, Staffordshire Terriers, and who knows what else.  People are throwing in English Bulldogs for that low squatty "pocket pit" and everything else, I've seen some that I know have Neopolitan Mastiff in them as well.

I work for a huge Telco company and have to enter up to 10-12 houses a day for various fixes.  Labradors are great dogs, Pit Bulls are great dogs, but for whatever reason when you combine the two they are about shady as hell.  Why? Who knows, but I imagine whatever dominate and recessive traits they bring into the combination don't work together statistically more than any other breed I am around.  Molosser Dogs bred for thousands of years for size and protection do not mix well with the 200+ years fighting terrier, and like it or not, which I sure as hell don't, that is the current dog we're always debating about on arfcom.

The breed had dignity, regardless of your or my feelings on dog fighting, which I am in no way defending, but history is history, and I'm not going to stick my head in the sand and act like I don't respect the traditional dog's nature and capabilities.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:13:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Now that, is asinine.

View Quote
You seem like you know a bit about dogs, so then I'm sure you know that part I put in red is a pretty weak thing to base an argument about temperament on.

You would know that "pit bulls" are one of the most commonly owned dogs in this country. You would know that human aggression is not a wanted trait for the original intent of the breed. You would know that the media bias, stigma, and the ghetto owners the breed attract contribute to that statistic far more so than in other breeds, add in some misidentification as well.

Now, if it's asinine that corso's and presa's and mastiffs were bred with pits and that's how they became human aggressive, I personally don't know. What is clearly obvious is that somehow, somewhere along the line, it happened. It likely happened because they earned the reputation of a tough dog and a certain segment of people wanted them for that reason, but for use against other people and not just dogs. Which gets us into the mess we're in now.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:46:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You're just running on emotion, with about zero facts because you have one and have feels. I'm not defending the modern pit, and saying the old game bred pits shouldn't be in most people's hands.  Presa's and Corso's have both killed people, provoked or unprovoked, but I agree that they're not known killers, but they are security prone, i.e; "grab and hold."  Now you add that to "fight to death and ignore all pain" and you have the current pit issue.  The current "Pit Bulls" are fucked up, plain and simple, and Presa's and Corso's were both the main dogs Wilson used to create the Bully, he also used American Bulldogs, Staffordshire Terriers, and who knows what else.  People are throwing in English Bulldogs for that low squatty "pocket pit" and everything else, I've seen some that I know have Neopolitan Mastiff in them as well.

I work for a huge Telco company and have to enter up to 10-12 houses a day for various fixes.  Labradors are great dogs, Pit Bulls are great dogs, but for whatever reason when you combine the two they are about shady as hell.  Why? Who knows, but I imagine whatever dominate and recessive traits they bring into the combination don't work together statistically more than any other breed I am around.  Molosser Dogs bred for thousands of years for size and protection do not mix well with the 200+ years fighting terrier, and like it or not, which I sure as hell don't, that is the current dog we're always debating about on arfcom.

The breed had dignity, regardless of your or my feelings on dog fighting, which I am in no way defending, but history is history, and I'm not going to stick my head in the sand and act like I don't respect the traditional dog's nature and capabilities.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that, is asinine.

The only element to this discussion I could be considered emotional about is my disdain for pit fighting. I am disgusted by it and feel the "men" involved are childlike cowards at heart. Yes, I have feels.

Many of us are dog owners and it's probably safe to say we have an emotional attachment to our dogs. For instance, if one of mine died tomorrow I would be very, very sad. They are not members of our family, they are animals and are treated accordingly, but we still have a bond with them.

You can't be honest in this discussion and claim there are zero facts to support the hypothesis that the pit bull breed is inherently dangerous to the public. There is incident after incident in which a child, owner, or whomever is mauled or killed by a pit daily. These articles typically include a picture of the dog and the resemblance to the breed standard is close, at the very least.

They were bred for a specific purpose and due to dilution/introduction their specific target may be muddied now, but the inherent purpose is still there, and the muddiness is what makes them more dangerous than ever. They were bred to fight and kill, it's just that now they're not so sure who the target should be.

Their original purpose is an abomination and their current, confused state of absolute loyalty/hair trigger attack makes them entirely unpredictable and always potentially dangerous.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 2:21:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The only element to this discussion I could be considered emotional about is my disdain for pit fighting. I am disgusted by it and feel the "men" involved are childlike cowards at heart. Yes, I have feels.

Many of us are dog owners and it's probably safe to say we have an emotional attachment to our dogs. For instance, if one of mine died tomorrow I would be very, very sad. They are not members of our family, they are animals and are treated accordingly, but we still have a bond with them.

You can't be honest in this discussion and claim there are zero facts to support the hypothesis that the pit bull breed is inherently dangerous to the public. There is incident after incident in which a child, owner, or whomever is mauled or killed by a pit daily. These articles typically include a picture of the dog and the resemblance to the breed standard is close, at the very least.

They were bred for a specific purpose and due to dilution/introduction their specific target may be muddied now, but the inherent purpose is still there, and the muddiness is what makes them more dangerous than ever. They were bred to fight and kill, it's just that now they're not so sure who the target should be.

Their original purpose is an abomination and their current, confused state of absolute loyalty/hair trigger attack makes them entirely unpredictable and always potentially dangerous.
View Quote
I have condemned the modern pit bull with damn near every post, you've just tried to change the argument with this post.  On a thread about "which breed can take a pit bull" I am in here to give some history on what dogs can, which dogs can't, and what they were and what they are.  You're arguing that European Mastiff's are great dogs with no faults.

In the history of man we have fought damned near everything that can be fought and have enough written history to know what the usual outcome was.  The only breed that I have read about and seen that will routinely go through a pit bull like butter is the Caucasian Shepherd, other's can and have won, but I'm not betting against the pit bull.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 2:45:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have condemned the modern pit bull with damn near every post, you've just tried to change the argument with this post.  On a thread about "which breed can take a pit bull" I am in here to give some history on what dogs can, which dogs can't, and what they were and what they are.  You're arguing that European Mastiff's are great dogs with no faults.

In the history of man we have fought damned near everything that can be fought and have enough written history to know what the usual outcome was.  The only breed that I have read about and seen that will routinely go through a pit bull like butter is the Caucasian Shepherd, other's can and have won, but I'm not betting against the pit bull.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok I won't get too personal about it but I don't think you're one to call another emotional. You condemn the modern pit bull and on that we can agree

There isn't a breed alive without any shortcomings, they're all purpose designed and bred. I like the Canary Mastiff but there's some shady bullshit in their history as well.

The CO is one hell of an interesting breed. Basically domesticated wolves whose only modification was introduced by the Red Army who bred for size and aggression so they could be implemented as war dogs. I've toyed with the idea of acquiring one someday, when I have more land, but I've yet to find a reputable source on this continent. They were a national treasure banned from export until the coup in the early 90's and the examples we have here stateside are questionable at best.

They are more wolf than dog, and likely more of a challenge then the North American Wolf to own and manage.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 3:19:24 AM EDT
[#41]
I'd put money on a wolf dog hybrid or great dane over a pitbull

Pound for pound a pitbull would probably win tho against anything

Wolf Dog or Great Dane could probably kill a pitbull with size and bone crushing strength at their disposal
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 4:36:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 4:50:25 AM EDT
[#43]
My pug could easily asphyxiate a pit going down.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Maybe we should start a dog fighting club where we have animals kill one another so we could settle this.
View Quote
Dibs on genetically reanimated TRex
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:19:38 AM EDT
[#45]
ALL dog fighters get "Hoffa'ed" on the spot.
Promise.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:20:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
A Coyote would destroy a pit.  Coyotes are wild animals that have been fighting since they were born to survive.  If a pit managed to get a hold of one sure he probably would win.  But I doubt he would. A coyote would hamstring him and waited for him to get tired.
View Quote
Coyotes are like scrawny meth dogs. The average large pet dog can take a single coyote. When they kill deer or cows it is 20-40 of them at once.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Okay, I’m a dope and can’t figure out the hyperlink

Story of Mastiff-mix killing the pit bull that attacked it and his master

https://www.wfsb.com/news/dog-attack-leaves-one-dog-dead-in-new-london/article_eb4b71e6-dc77-11e8-a94b-4380f30d7a72.html
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:30:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Is this thread like  "My dad can beat up your dad" except with dogs?
View Quote
It’s pretty much like every other gd dick swinging thread...except with dogs.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:09:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Most of those breeds have been bred for livestock, guard or other work.  Many of them have been used for fighting and many have not been trained properly, but unlike APBT and Staffordshire Bull Terriers, most of those breeds were not created specifically for fighting.  Some delusional owners might think their dog is trans-breed and identifies as a Basset Hound, but genetics don't lie.  Pits are absolutely a big deal, especially because of their popularity compared to all the other breeds you listed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, no. I'm really not.

The vast majority of them are unassuming family pets, not real fighters. Tosas, Filas, Presas, Black Russian Terriers, Komondors, Ovcharkas, Tibetan Mastiffs, Cane Corsii, Kangals, etc are breeds that are much higher up the scale of difficulty and potential fallout, not to mention that many of them have also been bred for fighting.
Most of those breeds have been bred for livestock, guard or other work.  Many of them have been used for fighting and many have not been trained properly, but unlike APBT and Staffordshire Bull Terriers, most of those breeds were not created specifically for fighting.  Some delusional owners might think their dog is trans-breed and identifies as a Basset Hound, but genetics don't lie.  Pits are absolutely a big deal, especially because of their popularity compared to all the other breeds you listed.

Most pit bulls aren't of dog fighting lineage.

LOL.  They specifically crossbred bulldogs and terriers for dog fighting and baiting.  This wasn't a breed that was created to guard chickens, track/retrieve game or raise children.
You are both right.

There were various molosser dogs, bred for taking down boar, for attacking humans during war, and/or for fighting beasts in an arena for entertainment.  Some were bred down in size to face bulls in bull-baiting.  This is the source of the bulldog which doesn't resemble the modern bulldog AT ALL.  Later these were crossed with rat terriers to make a lighter faster animal and were bred to fight each other.  They were also bred small so you could easily carry one to and from the dogfight, especially as they started to get outlawed.  Further, at this time the dogs were bred away from human aggression and toward dog aggression.  (You wanted a dog that would viciously attack another dog, but be able to sell that champion to any other gambling man and have the dog just as easy to handle)

While dogfighting will never go away it is just a sliver of a shadow of it's former self.  Many pits have been bred with other breeds to make them bigger and bulkier because this was seen as intimidating, with wide heads that would actually make them breath and bite less effectively in a real fight.  Many pits have also been bred with other breeds, with each other, and trained to be man-aggressive as you wanted your intimidating dog to keep your drug stash safe.  Still others were bred to be better catch dogs for hunting feral dogs.  However the largest number were bred simply for human companionship.  They were actually already pretty good at that because they had been bred to be non-aggressive to humans and to want to please humans.

Get a pit and you never know what is lurking in it's deep background.  Get a pit at the flea market and plan to use it as a fighting dog?  You'll probably be sadly mistaken.  But by the same token, there's a small chance it could be a ticking time-bomb in that pit that will one day make it attack and kill your other dog.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:16:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Which is why we never hear about people getting injured or killed by them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
one thing that always gets me when folks talk about pit aggression and talk about how long they were bred to fight, they never mention that for them same amount of years the human aggression was culled out of them.
Which is why we never hear about people getting injured or killed by them.
And since then bad breeding as well as mixing with whatever happens to be close, there are many that are just as human aggressive as a husky, springer, or any other dog you care to mention.  And they have the strength to do more damage when they do go for it.

But the flip side is many are very far from fighting lineages,  and would indeed gas out, or hesitate to go balls in, or do a myriad of other bad things.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top