Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#1]
If it was my ass on the line I'd go with a F15.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:41:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Based on some of the GD experts that live in the basement the Sopwith Camel is the answer. The big jet can not slow down enough to get a hit.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:43:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

F18 is technically limited to 7.5G's

the 15 and 16 can pull 9
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My understanding is that f15s turn the slowest of the 3, I think in a dog fight (turning) it'd be pretty close between the f16 and f18, but I think the f16 is faster accelerating.

So, in a dog fight I'd go with f16 first, f18 2nd, f15 third.

This is not the same as air superiority where I'd go f15 then f16 then f18.

the 15 and 16 can pull 9

I saw a documentary where the F18 pulled 10Gs no prob.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Well next to the Rafale the F/A-18E is the sexiest aircraft ever devised... much less operational.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are using guns, the Eagle has almost twice the ammo capacity of the Falcon.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Its kind of amazing to me that the most gayest thread in the history of ARF has an F-15 in the question.

@mudEagle

@Mach

I'm not going to lie. the whole room is spinning because this is so gay. Its like two E-2 NFOs decided "lets make the most gay thing, ever."

Its like the Top 10 Gay Broadway Musicals decided to have a Manhattan Project to make Weapons Grade Gay for a strike into Mecca.

Its like the AIDS Quilt decided to fuck South Beach to make a super gay thing.

Its like a Air Battle Manager decided to make the Tsar Bomb of Gay. And won.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Imma say F-18 with electronics jamming equipment?
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

the 15 and 16 can pull 9
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My understanding is that f15s turn the slowest of the 3, I think in a dog fight (turning) it'd be pretty close between the f16 and f18, but I think the f16 is faster accelerating.

So, in a dog fight I'd go with f16 first, f18 2nd, f15 third.

This is not the same as air superiority where I'd go f15 then f16 then f18.

the 15 and 16 can pull 9

Wow I would have thought the carrier plane would have been the toughest of the three.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:48:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Imagine 50 Marines stuck in a LSD for eternity and imagine the gay they figure out.

Then its the OP of this thread.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Just when I really start to think this place is becoming a lost cause a real SME posts something like that and keeps me around.

For anyone interested in this exact scenario look up Growling Sidewinder on YouTube.  Yes, it's a simulator with civilians flying but he has a ton of videos dogfighting different stuff.  The F-16 kills just about everything in a rate fight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I heard my name being called

The F16 and F18 are multirole combat aircraft and very capable, and the pilots need to be proficient in everything they do, not just air to air.

However theF15 is optimized for air to air and that is all the pilot does.

In a BVR environment I think the F15 has the edge both in experience of the pilot and capability of the jet. But it does hinge on pilot capability and can go either way.  Adding in the complexity of large scale ops in a hostile environment I think the Eagle has a clear advantage.

In a training configuration which is what we mostly do,  the F16 can turn up it's own asshole and in a close in fight in  clean configuration the F16 is a clearly superior turning machine.

The F18 clearly has better maneuverability very slow speed, less than 200 knots, but again in a real fight if you are below 200 knots you are fucked if there is more than 1 threat.

However, nobody hits the merge real world with a single missile on the rails and nobody willing throws out the anchor to fight below 200 knots, because in a near peer battle, we are out numbered and a sitting duck with limited ordinance and / or slow speed.

In a combat configuration with a full load of missiles except for the ones employed on the way to the merge, I think the F15 can turn tighter that both the F16 and F18, and accelerate faster with a combat load

The Eagle is big, but because it is big with big motors, it can do more G and sustain airspeed better than the F16 and F18 with a bunch of missiles hanging out in the air. But I am going back many years, things may have changed and I have never fought either jet with a combat load.

Being optimized for air to air has an advantage in a real multi aircraft engagement but the outcome squarely rests with the pilot.

Great stuff!

Just when I really start to think this place is becoming a lost cause a real SME posts something like that and keeps me around.

For anyone interested in this exact scenario look up Growling Sidewinder on YouTube.  Yes, it's a simulator with civilians flying but he has a ton of videos dogfighting different stuff.  The F-16 kills just about everything in a rate fight.

Exactly!
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you are using guns, the Eagle has almost twice the ammo capacity of the Falcon.
View Quote

I don't think that's correct.  If my Google fu is working the F-15 has 960 rounds while the 16 has 830.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:51:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Wow I would have thought the carrier plane would have been the toughest of the three.
View Quote

Imagine BrokeBack Mountain.

Then imagine two dudes making the ultimate Soufflé.

Then imagine a souffle SO GOOD you'd suck a massive dick for it. Not just suck, but really do a do a great job. Like really into it, so everyone remembers.

That's how gay this is.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Imagine 50 Marines stuck in a LSD for eternity and imagine the gay they figure out.

View Quote

Hot lesbian gay or guy gay, cause it matters ?
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:52:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This thread delivers that much gay.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Its kind of amazing to me that the most gayest thread in the history of ARF has an F-15 in the question.

@mudEagle

@Mach

I'm not going to lie. the whole room is spinning because this is so gay. Its like two E-2 NFOs decided "lets make the most gay thing, ever."

Its like the Top 10 Gay Broadway Musicals decided to have a Manhattan Project to make Weapons Grade Gay for a strike into Mecca.

View Quote

This could actually be your funniest post ever.
ETA as I continue reading and am laughing my ass off I am convinced that @whiskersthecat has hacked screechjets account!
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Oh yeah...that goes against everything we learned between Korea and NAM. I korea we had a kill ratio of 13-1 and then in Nam it fell to 3:1 because our dog fighting skills lacked.
View Quote

In Korea most of our pilots had combat experience in WWII. That was a gigantic Plus. Can't say that about our Vietnam pilots. Some thought dogfighting was obsolete. They were proved wrong for two reasons, 1. Our short-range missiles were shit, and, 2. No one bothered to tell the enemy. We had to relearn a lot of lessons. No one had long-range missiles in either war. Again a lot has changed but we din remember our lessons. We still train our pilots for such events but the idea is to take the enemy out before you have to engage in a dogfight. If you can't, then plan B goes into effect. Be ruthless.

If we ever get into space combat I don't see dogfighting as a viable tactic at least with present technology. In space, everything is a waltz, not Salsa.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I don't think that's correct.  If my Google fu is working the F-15 has 960 rounds while the 16 has 830.
View Quote

Falcon has 511 rounds
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:01:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This could actually be your funniest post ever.
ETA as I continue reading and am laughing my ass off I am convinced that @whiskersthecat has hacked screechjets account!
View Quote

Its amazingly gay.

Its like an antique shop decided "I'm not gay enough....I'm going to make something EVEN MORE GAY!" Then, all gay dudes were like "Man, I don't want to be responsible for this, I've got the Kennedy Center to schedule and the Tony's are coming up" and a bunch of gay guys are are like FUCK YOU AIDS quilt! We got gay to do! and the regular guy guys are like "I've got gay stuff and rent to do dude, I'm out!"

And yet, "people are like 'MORE GAY' and say "F-15 vs. F-18 vs. F-16!" and some rando says "people who still can't do a stabilize approach into JFK?" and the F-15 guys travel to Amarillo looking for more weapons grade grade.

Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Depends on definition of dog fight. Close in with guns it’s probably the 16. Simple air to air using missiles as soon as in range…Eagle
View Quote

Yeah, it’s not as simple as “ which is better”

Generally speaking, I’d say if the eagle has any distance at all its speed and radar would win
If by some chance the 16 got close enough for visual and a real turn and burn fur ball, anything could happen

This is assuming two pilots who are perfect equals.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@mudEagle

@Mach

View Quote

So where are your pi Charts and graphs? McNamara is waiting. This was obviously a fun question and not for the self-absorbed jocks. The A-team fighters were left out to make it more fun. Opinions are welcome, just to have fun. Begone with the thin-skin BS.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah, it’s not as simple as “ which is better”

Generally speaking, I’d say if the eagle has any distance at all its speed and radar would win
If by some chance the 16 got close enough for visual and a real turn and burn fur ball, anything could happen

This is assuming two pilots who are perfect equals.
View Quote

As in "totally GAY."

And that's cool. Totally.

And still fucking up an approach. But totally we are all really friends.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Today is all radar.

EX trumps 16 with AESA both trump the E/F

WVR and a high aspect merge at mid altitude?  I think it really depends on the driver.

My experience is based on fixing the damn things and DCS. LOL
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:05:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So where are your pi Charts and graphs? McNamara is waiting. This was obviously a fun question and not for the self-absorbed jocks. The A-team fighters were left out to make it more fun. Opinions are welcome, just to have fun. Begone with the thin-skin BS.
View Quote

Let's imagine the National Gay Pilot Association.

Then imagine a bunch of dudes show up and are like "gay pilots in Palm Springs? This is so Het! This is like some mall in Ontario!" Then decide "I"ve become Gay, Destroyer of Het!"

Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#25]
It's thread like this where I miss CMjohnson coming up in here and giving us his authoritative answer to every fighter question.

Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Is it gayer than this?
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:08:59 PM EDT
[#27]
What about 3x F101 Voodoos against a single F16 using cannons?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What creates (or enforces) that limitation on the F-18?

And are we talking about the old F/A-18C?
Or the F/A-18E Super Hornet?
View Quote

I believe the flight computer limits the aircraft.

And it's for the Superbug
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:10:51 PM EDT
[#29]
The F-16 dies in beautiful fission cloud.

Natives everywhere talk about the pretty cloud in the sky.

Canadians die.

Win. Win. Win.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

511rnds
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:24:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

@mudEagle

@Mach

View Quote

It's (contraction of it is) like you are yammering to hear yourself yammer.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know you’re kidding but a new Superhornet pulled 10.5 and never flew again.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:26:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Landing gear and hook are.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It's (contraction of it is) like you are yammering to hear yourself yammer.
View Quote

You know, I don't pontificate for paragraphs on S&M and legal stuff.

Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:26:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was that a safety precaution or was there observable damage?
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#36]
It’s really the pilot, it’s that close.

Start with a simple question.

Best 1 circle fighter vs best 2 circle fighter. Answer 1 is the F18 and 2 is the F16 (I believe the rates vs Eagle are better but someone can chime in)

Edit, also what’s the configuration
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not going to lie, if I see some F-18 guy I'm thinking "prep my liver and its a two man approach."

And that's OK.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
@mach

What is the highest you ever flew in a F15?

What was the view like?
View Quote

55,000 feet. The curvature of the earth was unmistakable  and the upper sky was darker blue.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Was that a safety precaution or was there observable damage?
View Quote

The frame was bent
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:29:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Also, assuming everyone has 9X and helmet, who cares, everyone dies
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:29:46 PM EDT
[#41]
With missiles? F-15

Guns only? F-16
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:29:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It’s really the pilot, it’s that close.

Start with a simple question.

Best 1 circle fighter vs best 2 circle fighter. Answer 1 is the F18 and 2 is the F16 (I believe the rates vs Eagle are better but someone can chime in)
View Quote

This is SO super gay.

I'm not saying "FlyNavy75 is gay."

I'm just saying if FlyNavy75 and his spouse (not that there is anything wrong with that!) said "hey, mind if we invite your wife to go thrifting at some some small town while you're out of town?" I'd be worried.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What about 3x F101 Voodoos against a single F16 using cannons?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/116375/df-st-82-08170_jpg-2852520.JPG
View Quote
The Japanese are doing similar experiments!

Japanese 3 football stars take on 100 kids playing match. 2019

Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:32:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Which one is in comms with the AWACS aircraft?
View Quote
DARKSTAR, JUDY JUDY, i'm going in for guns.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If you are in a dogfight, you probably screwed up. The idea is to shoot them down before you get that close. Where is your wingman? Is he out of long-range missiles too? If you did screw up, I would hope your training is way superior to that of your opponent regardless of what fighter you are flying. If I was going to be in a dogfight I want the A Team:  F-22, F-35, or F-15 EX. In this day and age, the B Team is not the best plan.
View Quote

Lawyers, the threat, and the mission dictate if you go to the merge or not and what you do when you get there.

Sure we would always like to kill everybody BVR and the Eagle certainly has that capability, but counter measures, mission requirements and the fucking lawyers dictate if you can kill people BVR or not and what requirements have to be met to do it.

It isn't a given.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Also, assuming everyone has 9X and helmet, who cares, everyone dies
View Quote

Yep

You can’t out rate an X.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:34:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This is the gayest question asked since "what this the best brunch on South Beach."
View Quote

The clear answer is naked boobies.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Lawyers, the threat, and the mission dictate if you go to the merge or not and what you do when you get there.

Sure we would always like to kill everybody BVR and the Eagle certainly has that capability, but counter measures, mission requirements and the fucking lawyers dictate if you can kill people BVR or not and what requirements have to be met to do it.

It isn't a given.
View Quote

And EA. People always seem to forget about dirty air.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This is SO super gay.

I'm not saying "FlyNavy75 is gay."

I'm just saying if FlyNavy75 and his spouse (not that there is anything wrong with that!) said "hey, mind if we invite your wife to go thrifting at some some small town while you're out of town?" I'd be worried.
View Quote

Hey now my spouse is OEM female
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Ground pounders in need of definitions. What is merge and what is EA?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top