Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 6:49:53 PM EDT
[#1]
2020 Lariat checking in. Bought it last August, now has 8500 trouble free miles. Taking it on a few hunting trips out west this year, and hopefully bringing back some coolers full of meat.

I would like to get the Fox leveling kit, Method Wheels, and better tires at some point though.

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Of those, Ranger.  

But, looking at the big picture, F150.  The only real advantage of mid size trucks is negotiating garages and parking lots.  There just isn't an appreciable difference in price or fuel economy relative to a full size.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't your people drive Ridgelines?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 6:56:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Of those, Ranger.  

But, looking at the big picture, F150.  The only real advantage of mid size trucks is negotiating garages and parking lots.  There just isn't an appreciable difference in price or fuel economy relative to a full size.
View Quote

100% this.

Last summer I wanted a pretty specific F-150 ( and still do ) but couldn't locate a Supercab 5.0, and ended up with a decent deal on the Ranger. In the future, I'll likely trade the Ranger in on a new F-150 Hybrid or the 5.0.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Of those the ranger is the best truck, followed pretty close by the Colorado.  I’m sure all the Toyota fanbois will be in here pretty quick to tell you about how awesome their Tacoma’s are but if you actually go drive all three of them there is no comparison.
View Quote

This is a solid post.

I'll just add to read any magazine mid-size truck comparison and quality ranking  Contrary to what the fanboys here will say, Tacoma is at the bottom of both in the mid-size truck segment.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Had Ford- Never again. Remember when V8s in F150s (and others) would shoot spark plugs out because dumbass engineers couldn't figure out threading? No recall, SOL for expensive fixes.

View Quote

LoL

That was a small issue from well over a decade ago on engines that haven't been made in as long.  The sparkplug blowout issue was gravely over exaggerated on the internet, with most issues resulting from people changing the plugs and over-tightening the new ones going in....stripping the threads.   And even so, it's a ~20-minute fix.  

Toyota fanboys... Must have forgot about their frame issue huh?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've had two ecoboost, a 1.8 or whatever in a Fusion that lost a turbo and the 3.5 in a Raptor that ate cam phasers. The Fusion was a fleet car and over half of them in our fleet ate a turbo before the 80k turn-in.

I would consider another, probably only the 2.7, since I've never really heard of issues with those.
View Quote

The 2.7's are fucking rockets when tuned. They trap better times that the 3.5's. A fell I work with has one with a mild tune and loves the shit outta it. Fuel mileage is decent and it's quick.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had a Ranger once, never ever again.
The Colorado/S10, no way.
Tacoma, winner by a mile.
View Quote

the current offering Colorado and Ranger have nothing in common with the older ones.

I test drove them all, well the ranger cause it didn't exist yet, but the Frontier, Tacoma and Colorado.

Colorado drove the nicest, ZR2 was the best options package, 2.8 duramax has been great. if the ZR2 wouldn't have been available I would have gone with the GMC instead to get the nicer stuff.

I hear the rangers are nice, I haven't driven one, but they don't offer a package like the ZR2 either.

frontier was beyond dated, not close to what I was looking for, the Taco just didn't drive nice, felt labored shifted into gear like it was 1992, the seats weren't' comfortable to me and rear drum brakes at over $40k GTFO.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#9]
With the GMC you'll always be checking if your lights are working.
Dont know anything about the Ford.
The Toyota will run forever and not give you shit about it.

Your choice.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Tacoma
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
2020 Lariat checking in. Bought it last August, now has 8500 trouble free miles. Taking it on a few hunting trips out west this year, and hopefully bringing back some coolers full of meat.

I would like to get the Fox leveling kit, Method Wheels, and better tires at some point though.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/124501/219E4777-67FC-4399-BDEC-D16C8A516165-1871632.jpg
View Quote

Are you a retired tradesman?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought a 2021 Ranger XL with  STX special edition, towing, and FX4 packages in March for $32k out the door. Sticker was $38k.

I love this truck. Been getting bout 22mpg. The engine has a ton of power and can really get going! I haven’t done much more than forest service roads and side trails, but it rides fine on and off road. I would buy it again.

When shopping, I considered the Tacoma and it didn’t even come close. The only thing going for it is it’s popularity. I didn’t consider GM or Dodge.

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I will be getting a Ranger soon.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got a 2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4. 25,100 miles on it. Zero issues and no complaints. I have a 2.5'' leveling kit on it, and I'll probably go with the FOX coilover set at some point. I threw an FX4 skidplate and slightly larger tires.

Shits ALL over my 2017 TRD Offroad Taco.

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Are you a retired tradesman?
View Quote

No, why?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:26:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Does Ford still inject fake engine noises into the cab of the ranger ?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Of those, I would probably go with the Ranger.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

the current offering Colorado and Ranger have nothing in common with the older ones.

I test drove them all, well the ranger cause it didn't exist yet, but the Frontier, Tacoma and Colorado.

Colorado drove the nicest, ZR2 was the best options package, 2.8 duramax has been great. if the ZR2 wouldn't have been available I would have gone with the GMC instead to get the nicer stuff.

I hear the rangers are nice, I haven't driven one, but they don't offer a package like the ZR2 either.

frontier was beyond dated, not close to what I was looking for, the Taco just didn't drive nice, felt labored shifted into gear like it was 1992, the seats weren't' comfortable to me and rear drum brakes at over $40k GTFO.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can get the Tremor package.

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Gladiator.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I really wish Ram would bring back the Dakota.  My 2005 Dakota has been a damn good truck.  But out of the 3 listed in the OP, I'd buy the new Frontier.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I really wish Ram would bring back the Dakota.  My 2005 Dakota has been a damn good truck.  But out of the 3 listed in the OP, I'd buy the new Frontier.  
View Quote

FCA was going to, since they have the Gladiator/1500 bones to build it now at the Toledo plant.  The idea was to make a Ram (not Dodge) Dakota starting in the mid-high $20k range with the 3.6 V6, and 3.0 Diesel as engine options (and maybe a V8 later, and possibly the 2.0 4cyl turbo from the Wrangler), in 4x2 and 4x4, with all the Ram trim levels up to at least Laramie, and at least two cab sizes and two box sizes.  

But after the Peugeot merger to become Stellantis, they changed plans and said they're weren't doing it a couple months ago.

Now they're talking about doing it anyway, it's sort of a no-brainer, and if they don't, it leaves a lot of money on the table for Ford/GM/Toyota/Nissan to pick up.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:06:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lockers?

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:20:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Drive them
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:22:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
2022 F350 6.7 Tremor

You can never have enough truck
View Quote

Friend just got one.   Ordered it and took about 6 weeks to get it.   All I can say about that truck is..........damn that’s a lot of truck.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I’m here for the Tacoma Gang Bang
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Ranger is the answer
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:27:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Lockers?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lockers?

Rear only,  you also get it with the FX4 package and a la cart if you would like.

There are some good pieces in the Tremor package,  I have the same shocks/coilovers,  the multi leaf rear spring pack would help with articulation measurably.  The stock mono leafs are stiff fuckers.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:29:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks like the GM truck is more truck-not sure how accurate this is

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:35:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Rear only,  you also get it with the FX4 package and a la cart if you would like.

There are some good pieces in the Tremor package,  I have the same shocks/coilovers,  the multi leaf rear spring pack would help with articulation measurably.  The stock mono leafs are stiff fuckers.
View Quote

Dssv are great no complaints on the suspension,  drives well on highway,  and handles changes in terrain very well. Ride is compliant and comfortable without being too soft. I think the zr2 suspension is my favorite part.

Also the diesel option. 24mpg highway, 21 in town,  and 17 pulling my sxs.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:36:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I was looking at the same trucks, I really like my ranger. Drove the tacoma and ranger side by side, the ranger is A LOT peppier. The tacoma didn’t know what gear it wanted to be in on flat ground. I really wanted to like that trd tacoma more. Then there’s the Colorado, I am not a fan of the 3.6 or the rubber covered buttons on the steering wheel. That zr2 doesn’t look bad at all though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Looks like the GM truck is more truck-not sure how accurate this is

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425549/408E7699-3659-4957-A637-5F243C04F6DC_png-1914077.JPG
View Quote

Ranger with towing package is 7500. Not sure why it's including the towing stuff on the Colorado but not the Ranger. The Ranger also has a bit higher payload if that's something you care about.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:38:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Between the Tacoma, Colorado and Ranger, what would you get? Do you have either? Do you like yours?

What is the best 4x4 of the three under $40,000? Even tho i want a 4x4, this will be a daily driver to work and will only see light off roading for hunting and bad weather.
View Quote

I had a 2017 Tacoma SR5 4x4. It was reliable, typically of Toyota... but I fell out of love with it after a couple long road trips last year.

A few things I didn't like about it - the driver's position seems to be set up around people who are 5'8". At 6'1", I think I was right at the edge of being able to have relative comfort. If the seat lowered an inch (it doesn't lower at all) and the steering wheel telescoped another inch, it would have been more tolerable.
- the rear is undersprung. It would hit the bump stops on dirt roads even with nothing in the rear. I wanted to get some SumoSprings installed, but didn't get to it.
- the front shocks were shot at about 32000 miles. (note that the TRD models have better shocks, IIRC)
- the transmission. I UNDERSTAND how it works. It never 'hunted' randomly, but it was annoying having two overdrive gears and having to keep adding more and more throttle to get it to hold speed at freeway speeds on uphill slopes, then when it finally drops to 4th you're accelerating so you back off the throttle, then it shifts to 5th and you're slowing again...

I traded it in on a 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E. It's the top-of-the-line trim and it's got tons of whizbang stuff. The basics are better - much more driver adjustment, more headroom... it's just bigger inside due to the unibody construction. The independent suspension rides and handles much better than a body-on-frame truck can. Load capacity is slightly more than the Tacoma (that's shit in the bed) while towing (shit you pull) rating is only 5000lb. I had a camper that was only ~3000lb, and I would never want to tow anything bigger.

The AWD system is nice... I had a chance to see a little bit of what it would do driving up a very steep driveway to a hotel while it was raining cats and dogs. No tire slip at all, when I bet the Taco would have lost traction on at least one of the rear wheels. As someone here described it, it's better as "soft road" conditions.

The only places I'd think the Ridgeline is inferior to trucks like the Tacoma and others is stock ground clearance and in hardcore rock-crawling type off-roading, as well as the aftermarket and modding possibilities. Since I have no intention of ever hardcore offroading in my daily driver, or modding the shit out of it, the RL does everything I need, and does it better than the Taco did.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:42:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I think the Ranger should have got a 2.7, my Fusion has it. 325 hp, 380 torque.

I like my 2nd gen Tacoma, 4.0 w/ man trans. I wouldn't pay the price of a new one with a less power 3.5, sounds like the auto trans needs a tune to not suck.

Not interested in GM after 3 duds.
View Quote

Have the same Tacoma. Test drove a 2020 v6 manual. The new engine is gutless down low despite having 40hp more. Turned me off right away.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:44:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Dssv are great no complaints on the suspension,  drives well on highway,  and handles changes in terrain very well. Ride is compliant and comfortable without being too soft. I think the zr2 suspension is my favorite part.

View Quote

Diesel can get even higher returns on the non ZR2 models. Even with the air dam removed I got a hand calculated 30mpg going across Wisconsin. Then again on the way back I got 18 because the dumb emissions system decided it needed to regen the entire 400 miles so I guess it equalled out.

I truly had a love/hate relationship with that truck. I'm glad I got rid of it when I did but I keep on watching local inventories for one again..

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:04:48 PM EDT
[#36]
I will never own another Ranger.  Unless its free or something.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:40:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Diesel can get even higher returns on the non ZR2 models. Even with the air dam removed I got a hand calculated 30mpg going across Wisconsin. Then again on the way back I got 18 because the dumb emissions system decided it needed to regen the entire 400 miles so I guess it equalled out.

I truly had a love/hate relationship with that truck. I'm glad I got rid of it when I did but I keep on watching local inventories for one again..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too bad they won’t let you do a diesel in a base model
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:56:16 PM EDT
[#38]
We had very specific needs when we started looking for a new truck. We already have an F150, which does our hauling and the heavy work. After test driving a bunch of SUV's, Jeeps and mid size trucks, we went home with the Ranger. We are glad we did, it's a great daily driver, a great weekend offroader, gets 20 MPG, is easily modified and most importantly, my wife wants to drive it. The mid size trucks all punched above their weight for comfort and utility so any one of them probably would have worked, but the Ranger had the looks and price that won out over the others.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:19:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
No way this dude just said S10.

Hey Rip, welcome to 2021. Let me catch you up on the last 20 years.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:31:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Ive driven all of the midsize trucks for extended rentals I've the las couple years. Currently in a TRD off-road (2wd), and it's a distant 4th place in my book because it has what is possibly the worst engine/trans combo I've driven in any vehicle. And I really wanted to like it. Constantly hunting for gears. Horrible low end torque. If they had cammed it for better low end, I think it would've been fine.

I like the ranger the most. (Even more with engine/trans tune)
Colorado a close 2nd
Nissan is in 3rd although that may change after I drive the new model. The current one is just so old, it's hard to look past the age.
Tacoma is down here somewhere.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:11:47 AM EDT
[#41]
I love my 2nd gen Tacoma but I'd pass on the 3rd gen with the screwy engine/ trans combo

The thing that really sold me on the Tacoma is the sheer volume of older one for sale for $10ish with over 300,000 miles. That tells me a LOT.

I actually like that it's outdated and doesn't have the whizzing dashboard and all the gadgets that break and cost a ton to fix.
It rides great and feels like a new vehicle, even after 100,000 miles. Not a single squeak or rattle, just solid.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:17:42 AM EDT
[#42]
I have a 2018 Colorado bought new.  The cheap interior impressions are spot on.  A couple of the center console LEDs have burned out and fixing requires replacing the entire HVAC control cluster.  The driver's seat is already splitting seams.  I haven't experienced any of the common transmission issues, and mechanically it's been sound.  However if the Ranger had been available when I purchased it, I would have gone that route instead.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:32:05 AM EDT
[#43]
None of the above. Look at a Nissan Frontier.

Run away from the Colorado. Mechanically they are junk.

The Ranger has yet to be proven and none of the big three have ever made a compact truck that can compete in longevity and reliability with a Nissan or a Toyota.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:40:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
None of the above. Look at a Nissan Frontier.

Run away from the Colorado. Mechanically they are junk.

The Ranger has yet to be proven and none of the big three have ever made a compact truck that can compete in longevity and reliability with a Nissan or a Toyota.
View Quote
The ranger is a global model that has been out since 2015.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:54:50 AM EDT
[#45]
I bought a 2020 Tacoma in Jan 2020. I have two gripes. One; a tear in the leather - I have no idea how it got there. Two; the transmission. My issues have been very minor. The only time I have had issues with the transmission is in traffic going up hill. When I'm slow (<10mph) and I take my foot off the gas to coast uphill to slow down with traffic and then REALLY give it gas it CHUGs. Like a big hiccup to get to the gear it needs.

I still like it, I drive it everyday, and I will mod the shit out of it this year.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 2:25:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I drove or owned the tacoma and colorado, I wouldn't own either again.
This is just my opinion on both trucks

Colorado was a issued daily driver fo rme, drive it about 9-11 months. Backseats were horrible, anyone back there complained about buckboard seats. Valve train noise, TPMS sensor had to be reset by dealer for some reason.  Good power, but very plastic looking interior.

Taco: I bought a 3.5l TRD sport with manual gear box, averages 13 mpg, 15mpg on the freeway.  Most of the gears were not setup for NM-TX, and I almost never could use the top gear unless I was doing 90mph.  The absolute worst engine/trans combo I have ever driven. First was tall, 2nd was a good jump followed by having to rev to 5500rpm so it would go and so on and so forth.  Hated it enough I swapped into the 4runner.  

I have a Titan now, and it rips. I can get a post burnout with my camper shell and still 14mpg.  Nissan interior is brittle plastic and doesn't seem to last long, otherwise solid rig.  I'm in the market for a GX460 now.
View Quote

What year Titan? My '21 is really nice, better finish than the Chevy I almost bought.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 2:27:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The Ranger for enjoyment, the Tacoma for resale value. Pick whichever is more important to you. The new Chrysler Of Japan Frontier looks good if you can wait and are comfortable with buying a new gen platform the first year it pops.
View Quote

Actually, the drive train was availible this year, and has been bulletproof. Only really new stuff is the body panels and some of the interior.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 6:07:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The ranger is a global model that has been out since 2015.
View Quote

Yep,  I drove one in the Philippines 5 years ago,  told my wife then if we got them in the states I'd get one.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:21:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
We had very specific needs when we started looking for a new truck. We already have an F150, which does our hauling and the heavy work. After test driving a bunch of SUV's, Jeeps and mid size trucks, we went home with the Ranger. We are glad we did, it's a great daily driver, a great weekend offroader, gets 20 MPG, is easily modified and most importantly, my wife wants to drive it. The mid size trucks all punched above their weight for comfort and utility so any one of them probably would have worked, but the Ranger had the looks and price that won out over the others.

https://i.imgur.com/kqzoWUV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/NlndRCP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QYBbcKZ.jpg
View Quote

Nice looking truck
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#50]
a year and a half ago I picked up a new double cab 2020 tacoma TRD off road premium(apple car play/jbl/leather/moonroof/etc) - absolutely love it - it feels like driving an SUV but its incredibly capable off road, and having bed space is invaluable
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top