BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:29:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Taco
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Had my FX4 Ranger for over a year now with zero issues. It’s been a great little truck and does everything I need it to do. It’s pretty damn quick for a little 4 cylinder and pulls my small trailer just fine.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:51:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Of those, I would probably go with the Ranger.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:06:04 AM EDT
[#4]
None of the above.  New nissan frontier coming out tops all three.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:13:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

LoL

That was a small issue from well over a decade ago on engines that haven't been made in as long.  The sparkplug blowout issue was gravely over exaggerated on the internet, with most issues resulting from people changing the plugs and over-tightening the new ones going in....stripping the threads.   And even so, it's a ~20-minute fix.  

Toyota fanboys... Must have forgot about their frame issue huh?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had Ford- Never again. Remember when V8s in F150s (and others) would shoot spark plugs out because dumbass engineers couldn't figure out threading? No recall, SOL for expensive fixes.

LoL

That was a small issue from well over a decade ago on engines that haven't been made in as long.  The sparkplug blowout issue was gravely over exaggerated on the internet, with most issues resulting from people changing the plugs and over-tightening the new ones going in....stripping the threads.   And even so, it's a ~20-minute fix.  

Toyota fanboys... Must have forgot about their frame issue huh?

Look I drive fords.

But they really make shitty engines, everything else is pretty good, but their engines...not their best work

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:14:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I bought a 2021 Ranger XL with  STX special edition, towing, and FX4 packages in March for $32k out the door. Sticker was $38k.

I love this truck. Been getting bout 22mpg. The engine has a ton of power and can really get going! I haven’t done much more than forest service roads and side trails, but it rides fine on and off road. I would buy it again.

When shopping, I considered the Tacoma and it didn’t even come close. The only thing going for it is it’s popularity. I didn’t consider GM or Dodge.

https://i.postimg.cc/pdvQtDk6/36-FEF308-F186-4365-9866-24-B5-A858-EA17.jpg
View Quote

That is a good looking truck.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:17:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looks like the GM truck is more truck-not sure how accurate this is

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425549/408E7699-3659-4957-A637-5F243C04F6DC_png-1914077.JPG
View Quote

Take a look at the interior of the GM though. I sat in one and didn't even bother to test drive it.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Of the 3 Tacoma. Better resale then both, better aftermarket support and cheaper parts and it will last VS those other POS
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We had very specific needs when we started looking for a new truck. We already have an F150, which does our hauling and the heavy work. After test driving a bunch of SUV's, Jeeps and mid size trucks, we went home with the Ranger. We are glad we did, it's a great daily driver, a great weekend offroader, gets 20 MPG, is easily modified and most importantly, my wife wants to drive it. The mid size trucks all punched above their weight for comfort and utility so any one of them probably would have worked, but the Ranger had the looks and price that won out over the others.

https://i.imgur.com/kqzoWUV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/NlndRCP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QYBbcKZ.jpg
View Quote

That's a damn nice looking truck! I have a F150 5.0 and I love it, but parking can be a challenge, and it gets worse in cities that are not full size friendly. I was going to buy a used Ranger, then the auto market went to crap. I'm also having a midlife crisis and want to mod the heck out of a truck, I don't want to do that to my F150.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#11]
None of those. Ram is the answer.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My 07 F150 has 215k miles and is acting up. Coils and plugs keep burning up and the trans seems to be going out.

I dont tow anything big, never will.

Between the Tacoma, Colorado and Ranger, what would you get? Do you have either? Do you like yours?

What is the best 4x4 of the three under $40,000? Even tho i want a 4x4, this will be a daily driver to work and will only see light off roading for hunting and bad weather.
View Quote

I wouldn't own a truck without a V8 so I'm not much help I'm afraid.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:36:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It comes with a proven 2.3L Ecoboost. I've owned 3 Ecoboost cars including an F150, ST, and RS. All heavily modified and driven hard. None of them had issues unless it was something I did that caused the problem. Neighbor has a 19 Ecoboost ranger with a 5 star tune on it, it's quite impressive and fun to drive.
View Quote

We’ve never had any luck with fords.  My fusion blew up at 102000 miles.  My brother has had 2 trannys in a 2017 Ford F-150 and just put an egr valve on it.

At this point I’d consider a power stroke but that would be about it.  With that being said I’ve had good luck with gmc and Chevy 2500 hd with and without the dmax.

I will say the Colorado interior is cheesy
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Tacoma, it's non union made. Unions support democrats- all unions- all democrats.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#15]
I got an f150 with the 2.7 for 37,000 a few weeks ago.

Had to travel a few hundred miles though.

It’s a four door stx with 4wd.

Gets literally 6mpg highway better than my 2020 Tacoma 4wd did on the same back roads trip going 55.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:01:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Of the 3 Tacoma. Better resale then both, better aftermarket support and cheaper parts and it will last VS those other POS
View Quote

The only way I would recommend a new Tacoma would be with a manual transmission.  Heard too many questionable things about Toyota’s automatic trans.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I’ve driven all the ones you listed (plus the Frontier). The Ranger (XLT/FX4 Crew Cab) is the one that is currently in my driveway.

My impressions from driving them:
- Tacoma: It was a 95% no-go when I just sat in the thing. Driving it, the drivetrain gave me the last 5% of the no-go. It was an early model with a certain transmission model or sometimes, so maybe that is what it was. But it felt underpowered and just not one I wanted to live with for a long time.

- Colorado/Canyon: Came in second for me. I liked that I could get a Crew Cab/“Long Bed” version. Overall, it wasn’t a bad truck. There was a used Duramax Z71 I considered before I snagged my new Ranger for less.

- Frontier: Had a 2019 Crew Cab/4x4 SV for a rental for a weekend. To be honest, it wasn’t a horrible truck and probably one of the most honest/old school ones still on the market.  I appreciated it in that way.  Gas mileage wasn’t great and it was a little cramped but not horrible. For the right price, I’d consider one for a knock around truck.

- Ranger: I first had a 2019 XLT/2WD as a rental when my Explorer was in the shop. The longer I drove it, the more I became convinced that it was actually the answer to my truck search.  You could tell this platform being sold on the world market since 2011 had helped the development curve. The back seat is big enough for the little one (5 y/o) and doggo to cohabitate during road trips and I can fit in the back seat (6’ 1”, 245#) with no real issues.  The 10-speed feels solid and the 2.3 EcoBoost has enough oomph for the application (despite everyone thinking it needs the 2.7 in there).  

The comments about the shocks are on point.  My FX4 feels really under-damped and I imagine the Fox/FRPP leveling kit or a call to Icon will be in my future.  An F-150 would have been nice for the interior room but the Ranger fits in my garage and will tow 7500#.  It’s a 98% solution for what I need a truck to do. For the other 2%, there’s an Enterprise down the road. If I consistently need more truck than the Ranger, I’m stepping past the F-150 and on up to a new F-250 with 7.3 gassed.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I recently bought a lightly used 2019 Colorado with the Duramax diesel engine. It's comfortable for me and it gets great fuel mileage.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I love my RAM, but they don't make a midsize truck.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The comments about the shocks are on point.
View Quote

The first current gen Ranger I road in was a friend's Sport (first year they came out, I think they changed up the shocks a bit following) and the shocks sucked on the road and they beat the shit out of you if you went over a curb/pulling into a city driveway. I discounted the Ranger, but later drove a Lariat FX4, much improved, but the shocks need replacing (which is fine, that's the case on a lot of trucks, including the much loved Land Cruiser).

I ended up with a F150, I wanted a V8, they had a F150 that was everything I wanted (and some crap I didn't want... panoramic sunroof), and the Rangers were all in colors I did not want, plush I got a really good deal. I would have been happy either way. I will still see a Ranger and think it looks very good, attractive truck. They look really good when people mod them, better than the Taco modded IMHO.

If I ever find a good deal on a Ranger, I want to do it up like a Afghan National Police Ranger, no MG though, remove the rear seats and make that area for cargo.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I saw one today [old body style] with a big dodge emblem on the back window and the words ''is a piece of shit'' under it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I’m here for the Tacoma Gang Bang
View Quote

No gang bang.
The Tacoma's dirty little secret nobody is supposed to talk about is out.

The transmission and the motor is a hot mess. Many of us have expressed it here.
As I said before. Show me one automobile in history that has it's owners crowing about  "RESALE VALUE!!" all the time.
Why?  Because Tacoma owners  are always fantasizing about the day they can finally flush the turd and get rid of it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 7:51:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The first current gen Ranger I road in was a friend's Sport (first year they came out, I think they changed up the shocks a bit following) and the shocks sucked on the road and they beat the shit out of you if you went over a curb/pulling into a city driveway. I discounted the Ranger, but later drove a Lariat FX4, much improved, but the shocks need replacing (which is fine, that's the case on a lot of trucks, including the much loved Land Cruiser).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The comments about the shocks are on point.

That was almost my exact experience as well.  I almost ended up with an F150 as well but one sold before I could buy it and the other was at a dealer that thought their shit was gold and platinum plated. Couple that with it being a bear to find a CPO 3.5/Max Tow with no moonroof and stumbling into a great deal on the Ranger, it was meant to be.

The colors are a bit lacking in the Ranger, but I found a black one so I’m content.

Also, I kinda dig that ANP idea. Hmmm . . .
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 7:53:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Tacoma, it's non union made. Unions support democrats- all unions- all democrats.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Gladiator
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:05:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Just hit 3000 miles today and getting 22mpg with mixed city and backroads. I could do better but my foot gets in the way of that.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:05:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Taco
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:08:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Uhh...Tacoma. The new Ranger has a terrible reliability score and GMC Canyon is LOL bad.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Uhh...Tacoma. The new Ranger has a terrible reliability score and GMC Canyon is LOL bad.
View Quote

Do you have a source for this information? Do you own a Taco, Ranger or Canyon? Nearly every source I’ve read has the Ranger with great reliability including those that own them and have posted in this thread. I’m not spouting off as a fanboi but rather as someone who owned a Taco and now owns a Ranger. The Ranger is a much better truck especially modded in nearly every aspect.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Could wait for the new 2022 Nissan Frontier-oma.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:07:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Do you have a source for this information? Do you own a Taco, Ranger or Canyon? Nearly every source I’ve read has the Ranger with great reliability including those that own them and have posted in this thread. I’m not spouting off as a fanboi but rather as someone who owned a Taco and now owns a Ranger. The Ranger is a much better truck especially modded in nearly every aspect.
View Quote

I know many guys that run bear dogs here in WV, and every single one runs a Tacoma. One particular guy has around 50k miles (very hard miles) on a 2019 model that he bought new. These guys beat the ever living shit out of their trucks all year long, and loaded with dogs in the back. Very reliable and I've been in many of them all over the State.

But, I bought a Ranger and do not run dogs or hunt 200+ days a year.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'd strongly look at the Ranger, but drive all 3 and see how you like them.
View Quote
This! I've sat in a Taco and drove a neighbors Chevy and Ranger. Personally I preferred the Ranger but that's just from little trip or there to take his other car to the shop. I will say that I don't care for the new keys Ford is using. Feels like they are just a slight pressure change from breaking off in the ignition switch.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:18:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

His source is his ass.

Tacoma is at or near the bottom of the barrel for reliability ratings according most any source.  Ranger and the GM twins rank significantly higher than the Toyota, as does the Frontier.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:19:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I know many guys that run bear dogs here in WV, and every single one runs a Tacoma. One particular guy has around 50k miles (very hard miles) on a 2019 model that he bought new. These guys beat the ever living shit out of their trucks all year long, and loaded with dogs in the back. Very reliable and I've been in many of them all over the State.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never had any issues with my Tacoma at all granted, I didn’t beat the total shit out of it either. I just preferred the Ranger for a host of reasons and one being that has a lot more power than the Taco. I have driven my Ranger very spiritedly and definitely don’t baby it whatsoever.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#36]
OP, I am a Ford engineer in Dearborn. I would be happy to give you one of my allotted Ford friends and family X-Plan discounts. You will be able to see your prices on any vehicle sitting on any dealer lot. You also get to take advantage of any other cash back, financing or other discounts they are offering on top of your X-Plan price. PM me if you are interested and I will get you set up in the system.

Thank you for considering a Ford Motor Company vehicle.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:37:33 PM EDT
[#37]
I have friend with a 2018 Tacoma TRD Sport that has 130k on it. He's a "hardcore" overlander and most of those miles are dirt roads and trails (not rock crawling). His truck is fine.

I know another person with a Colorado Bison that has around the same mileage doing the same stuff. His truck has only had issues with aftermarket and Bison-specific parts issues.

The only Ford guy that comes camping with us is running a new-ish F150, but the same goes for him.

The Gladiator guy rarely comes out, but he works a lot.

We're all generally near, at or above GVWR with all of our modifications and cargo, so it could be seen as abuse on the vehicles in a way. The only issues I've seen over the whole group is mainly little things like knobs falling off in the Ford interior, random stuff falling off on the Colorado and the 3rd Gen Tacoma constantly shifting up and down or holding lower gears making tons of noise (the owner has a louder muffler).
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
OP, I am a Ford engineer in Dearborn. I would be happy to give you one of my allotted Ford friends and family X-Plan discounts. You will be able to see your prices on any vehicle sitting on any dealer lot. You also get to take advantage of any other cash back, financing or other discounts they are offering on top of your X-Plan price. PM me if you are interested and I will get you set up in the system.

View Quote

Eh, Mr Ford Engineer...can I get a sweet deal on one of the new Raptors or the Hybrid F-150?

We're friends, right?
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:44:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

If anyone has held 100 shares of Ford stock for over 6mo they qualify for the X-plan. I bought a bunch of Ford stock last year thinking I may want to trade in my 2019 and get a 2021 (I don't), that actually worked out really well from an investing stand point.

Do you know Marco?
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:07:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are there plans for a Bronco Raptor? Asking for a friend.......
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:11:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
@kc8flb will you please engineer a 2.7L ecoboost and a locking front diff into the Ranger?

edit: how's y'all's supply of chips?
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:49:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

As a matter of fact I just had an article pop up on my Google start page about the "trucks with the worst reliability."  Must be long term reliability because it was the 2019 Ranger.

I owned a Tacoma for many years putting 200K+ relatively trouble free miles on it. Brakes, tires, batteries, more tires, a starter and some new leaf springs after hauling a way too heavy load of firewood. More tires too.

My buddy owns a GMC Canyon 4x4 with the deisel and it's been in the shop almost as much as the road. They've pulled the entire body off twice. I can't remember the entire story and I think he's a little embarrassed about it at this point, so I don't get as many updates. I know for sure it's had the entire engine replaced once and the tranny twice. He's stopped complaining about it because we give him so much shit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:53:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

His source is his ass.

Tacoma is at or near the bottom of the barrel for reliability ratings according most any source.  Ranger and the GM twins rank significantly higher than the Toyota, as does the Frontier.
View Quote

It's the ass of truth.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:56:44 PM EDT
[#44]
I drive a Colorado and I love it but the Nissan Frontier will be the one that beats them all.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:30:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I drive a Colorado and I love it but the Nissan Frontier will be the one that beats them all.
View Quote

All the talk about the new Frontier, the reviews show the ranger beating it in most specs.

I am wussing out. I will probably fix my old truck. Too much money for a 4 cyl and crowded cab. Test drives were good, but too tight and passing on the interstate was weaker than my 200k mile v8.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:35:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

As a matter of fact I just had an article pop up on my Google start page about the "trucks with the worst reliability."  Must be long term reliability because it was the 2019 Ranger.

I owned a Tacoma for many years putting 200K+ relatively trouble free miles on it. Brakes, tires, batteries, more tires, a starter and some new leaf springs after hauling a way too heavy load of firewood. More tires too.

My buddy owns a GMC Canyon 4x4 with the deisel and it's been in the shop almost as much as the road. They've pulled the entire body off twice. I can't remember the entire story and I think he's a little embarrassed about it at this point, so I don't get as many updates. I know for sure it's had the entire engine replaced once and the tranny twice. He's stopped complaining about it because we give him so much shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you are basing your claim that the Ranger has a terrible reliability score based off of a Google pop up ad that you can’t link a source to? Gotcha.

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:50:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My 07 F150 has 215k miles and is acting up. Coils and plugs keep burning up and the trans seems to be going out.

I dont tow anything big, never will.

Between the Tacoma, Colorado and Ranger, what would you get? Do you have either? Do you like yours?

What is the best 4x4 of the three under $40,000? Even tho i want a 4x4, this will be a daily driver to work and will only see light off roading for hunting and bad weather.
View Quote

Do you need the bed?  Would a soft roader like a Rav 4 or Subaru work for you?
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

His source is his ass.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

His source is his ass.

Then those rankings are worthless.

The Tacoma has endless complaints about the behavior/driveability of the transmission, but it has very few complaints about actual mechanical failures of any kind. Meanwhile, the GM 8L45 and 8L90 8 speed transmissions might be the worst transmissions we've seen in any truck in decades. Many torque converters and entire transmissions have been replaced. Supposedly, a change in fluid spec "fixes" the problem, but I'm skeptical.

It's fun to poke at the Toyota fanboys and call out the actual shortcomings of Toyota's trucks. The payload ratings are inexcusably terrible, the interiors suck, and they burn too much fuel relative to their capabilities. But the Tacoma and Tundra are still the safest bet for reliability in their respective segments.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The Tacoma has endless complaints about the behavior/driveability of the transmission, but it has very few complaints about actual mechanical failures of any kind. Meanwhile, the GM 8L45 and 8L90 8 speed transmissions might be the worst transmissions we've seen in any truck in decades. Many torque converters and entire transmissions have been replaced. Supposedly, a change in fluid spec "fixes" the problem, but I'm skeptical.

It's fun to poke at the Toyota fanboys and call out the actual shortcomings of Toyota's trucks. The payload ratings are inexcusably terrible, the interiors suck, and they burn too much fuel relative to their capabilities. But the Tacoma and Tundra are still the safest bet for reliability in their respective segments.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

His source is his ass.

You need to do some research on your own.

It's not wise to base an opinion on only one source.  It's even less wise to rely on your own personal opinion.  The fact is, right now, across many sources, the Tacoma ranks at or near the bottom in reliability rankings in both the mid-size segment, and the truck market as a whole.  And this is separate from the powertrain performance issues.  Tundra does rank at or near the top

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:08:18 AM EDT
[#50]
I own an 2008 Tacoma 4x4 4.0 V6 MT and have only replaced the clutch release bearing and rebuilt the slave. That's it.

Drove a 2017 Tacoma 4x4 V6 MT on a long road trip. The manual transmission felt much cleaner than the old RA60/61 but the new motor felt less torquey and a bit gutless in general. Interior much nicer than the earlier generations.

Have driven the new Rangers as rentals... that would be my choice. Much more capable vehicle than the Tacoma with lightly better mileage.

Also driven the Frontiers as rentals. Seem solid, but rattle and have the mileage/turning radius of a much larger truck. The gas tank is tiny.

Father has a Colorado Duramax. Extremely capable for size and mileage is phenomenal, but the thing is in the shop constantly for emissions or electronic problems. Goes into 'limp mode' all the time with no warning or leaves the battery dead. GM cannot seem to fix it and results in lots of jumping, towing, or just being stranded.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top