User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 5:55:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I am their boss, so I don't care

it's funny when excons call you boss as well
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Not a bit. They call me el Jefe. Master of the metaphor, the one of you've come to love and adore. The boss and point man.

Everybody needs Clutch in their life.

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I am offended by everything!
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am offended by everything!
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I hear that a lot.
View Quote

Not if it is these guys!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes, and also when they call me "Mr. [First name]." I'm not a slave Master and learn to address people appropriately if you want to be taken seriously.  I've told multiple employees to use my first name or Mr. [Last name] because using Mr. [First name] shows they don't respect themselves, that it comes from subjugation mentality.
View Quote

Intersting.  In my limited time in LA and AL, I thought that was just polite talk.  "Go see Miss Theresa"  "Talk to Mr Steve", etc.     Heck, I would say "Miss Sarah sent me over", or be addressed as "Mr 'first name' ".
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No, not "jefe". "El Guapo"

And say it with some charisma
View Quote

Eetz a swehter!  
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#8]
As long as they’re not calling me “Hey shithead!”
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes, and also when they call me "Mr. [First name]." I'm not a slave Master and learn to address people appropriately if you want to be taken seriously.  I've told multiple employees to use my first name or Mr. [Last name] because using Mr. [First name] shows they don't respect themselves, that it comes from subjugation mentality.
View Quote

Did you just make that up?
Attachment Attached File

This is very common and proper in the southern United States. It is most often used by children speaking to adults they know well such as neighbors, friends' parents, more casual teachers, etc. Usually the adult will signal his or her preference on how to be addressed. Sometimes an adult (for example some teachers) will introduce themselves as Mr/Ms last name instead, which is also fine and wouldn't usually raise eyebrows.

It's also not uncommon for adults to use this construction between themselves. I've seen it when there's an age difference or a social status difference, but when using Mr/Ms last name would be too formal and distant sounding. Eg you see the elderly lady that's lived next door for years across the fence and say "Hi Ms. Diana!" Eg the younger person behind the register at the grocery you always go to says "see you next week Mr. Bob".

As Mr. England's post indicates, common usage dictates the rules, not the other way around. And in the South, this is very common and accepted. It can be a bit rude (or at least stiff and standoffish) not to use this construction if the adult being addressed prefers the first name.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
As long as they’re not calling me “Hey shithead!”
View Quote

"hey pendejo"

"Hey Pendejos!" Cheech & Chong
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know any Black people.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Everyone calls me boss for some reason. I prefer that.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#14]
No, I never thought anything of it. I think it's just a go to word, I use "brother" a lot. Lots of black women I interact with call me "baby".
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:52:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Everyone is either "ma'am," "man," or "dude" to me, so I don't really have a lot of room to get too picky.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:53:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Only when I was the boss.

I call my Veep boss sometimes to yank his chain. He’s Hispanic if that matters (not to me).

I do tend to call people Sir and Ma’am as a default, regardless. Don’t think it’s a bad thing.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I always assumed they had spent time in prison and the phrase was just natural for them.

See the movie, "Cool Hand Luke."

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#18]
could call me "honky" and I wouldn't give a sh$t.   Never understood the offended thing
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Wasiiiss..
Sugarhill Gang - Rapper's Delight Lyrics
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Is that a racist thing?

I always thought of "boss" as a 80's-early 90's moniker...
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:58:56 PM EDT
[#21]
negative.

the alcoholics at work and i all call each other "boss."

it's hilarious.

Takin it off here, Boss! (Cool Hand Luke)

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:03:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Used to have a guy call me “pal” constantly. Found out later  it meant personal ass licker.

Still pisses me off.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#23]
When I hear boss my assumption is whoever said it is from NY/NJ area.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Used to have a guy call me “pal” constantly. Found out later  it meant personal ass licker.

Still pisses me off.
View Quote

Only in Indiana

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:06:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Better to be called Hoss, than Boss.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#26]
No not at all, it has happened to me.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

In "jail speak" is that "Head of sanitation supplies"?

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#28]
No, but I love it when they call me "Mr. Jeff"
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:16:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol! maybe. Just don't call me "bethany" next time I get locked up.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, my entire crew used to say 'Thanks, Boss' every Friday when I handed out the paychecks....

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm offended that OP asked whether I'd be offended or not...
View Quote

And I'm offended that you're offended that he offended you. This whole thread is offensive.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

lol! maybe. Just don't call me "bethany" next time I get locked up.
View Quote

"Sue"?

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#33]
No, it's not possible to offended me in that manner... whitie, cracker, boss... Other slurs from other languages as well.. Don't care... It might make me chuckle... thats about it...
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
When I started doing part time relief charge nurse work a black RN that I went through residency with started referring to me as the HNIC: Head nurse in charge.

I laughed and said that's funny. Not all the 20 something year old white chicks knew what was going on.
View Quote

I'd prefer to be called the MFWIC.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#35]
No
But I was never fond of being called white boy
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#36]
I've never been called boss by a black guy only white guy's who are usually behind on slang.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#37]
If I’m his boss, I’m ok with it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:38:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm offended that OP asked whether I'd be offended or not...
View Quote

It offends me that you are offended by his question...
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Mr. Boss.

That's a night in the box.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Why?  How is that offensive, first of all?

Why ever be offended by what anyone calls you, unless you respect them and their opinions.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#41]
It's condescending to call someone who isn't your boss, "boss".  But IDGAF.  I usually just respond with "OK Chief" and go about my day.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm a retired Master Chief Petty Officer.

Don't get me started.

One of my best workers was a black man from South Carolina, he called me boss often. Sometimes chief, but never master. The Latina called me Jefe. The Filipinos called me "sarap boo hi" which translates into "the good life" or a kind of edible bug apparently.

Now in the Navy other chiefs would call me master in the mess teasing sometimes. There's fun around even and odd ranks putting the chiefs and master chiefs against the senior chiefs ... weird stuff for reasons I never figured out. There was zero racism in any mess that I was a part of, there was more hate over who's team you cheered for on Sundays.

The US Navy is 200 years of tradition unhampered by technology and logic. I suppose with the the powers of the Internet I could ferret out some of the traditions I suffered  experienced.  

There was an Army O-6 (colonel) that worked for me that called me chief once. I told him that I thought that was conduct very unbecoming a colonel and he could call me Master Chief Petty Officer. At least I didn't put in my warfare qualifications.

May he burn in hell.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 7:57:13 PM EDT
[#43]
I don’t like to hear it or say it except sarcastically.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Sometimes I hear "sir" and as a sort of old coot thing I don't like the subservient sound of it even though it's usually a black guy or a blue collar white guy trying to be respectful. Particularly from clients it strikes me odd, you're footing the bill. I also don't like it towards cops, they aren't knights.

[waves cane at clouds]
View Quote

At some point working in the same building after my retirement the people who knew Master Chief Paul became very few. Occasionally one would call me out "hey Master Chief" and I'd respond and a bunch of military members who had been calling me Paul, sometimes Mr. Paul, would start calling me Master Chief again.

Ya f' up once in your whole damn career and get labeled for life for it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:05:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I prefer massa.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
As a white male, there is nothing I can be discriminated or offended about.

View Quote

That. Nobody has ever come up with anything to call us that has any effect other than being funny. For example, 'MFr' has no effect because as a group we just don't do that. Others who actually do this will be highly offended by it unless it is being used as a common curse word and not as a slur against an individual.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#47]
When someone calls me “Boss” I assume they’ve been in jail or prison.
Regardless of skin tone.
And no, I’m not offended, I just think it’s odd.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#48]
I loathe when anyone calls me boss. That’s what the inmates called us when I worked in TDCJ.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That. Nobody has ever come up with anything to call us that has any effect other than being funny. For example, 'MFr' has no effect because as a group we just don't do that. Others who actually do this will be highly offended by it unless it is being used as a common curse word and not as a slur against an individual.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As a white male, there is nothing I can be discriminated or offended about.

White boy is about the worst thing I've been called as far as slur words but it doesn't really offend me.

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 8:26:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Did you just make that up?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1874/1784368F-5DA1-450D-8687-C5FBBB0DA4B4_jpe-2342463.JPG

This is very common and proper in the southern United States. It is most often used by children speaking to adults they know well such as neighbors, friends' parents, more casual teachers, etc. Usually the adult will signal his or her preference on how to be addressed. Sometimes an adult (for example some teachers) will introduce themselves as Mr/Ms last name instead, which is also fine and wouldn't usually raise eyebrows.

It's also not uncommon for adults to use this construction between themselves. I've seen it when there's an age difference or a social status difference, but when using Mr/Ms last name would be too formal and distant sounding. Eg you see the elderly lady that's lived next door for years across the fence and say "Hi Ms. Diana!" Eg the younger person behind the register at the grocery you always go to says "see you next week Mr. Bob".

As Mr. England's post indicates, common usage dictates the rules, not the other way around. And in the South, this is very common and accepted. It can be a bit rude (or at least stiff and standoffish) not to use this construction if the adult being addressed prefers the first name.
View Quote

Yep.

We all did this.

White/black/brown, it didn't matter.
Page / 6
Top Top