[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Small Light
Sling
Small Optic

Anything else is bling.
View Quote

This.  Anything else I keep on my person.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 7:34:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Will likely stick to my 1886 Winchester. In a crowd, how many commies will a black powder 45-90 punch through with 405gr hard casts?
View Quote

A: Yes
B: All of them
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 7:36:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Well I’m finally able to put together an AR pistol for the truck.  So I’m going with a 11.5 inch.  RDS sight and flashlight.  

I’m also putting together a bailout bag with extra rifle and pistol mags and adding a trauma kit.  I already have a large medical bag in the truck so this will supplement and be quicker access.  

I’m definitely not willingly going into a riot zone but should I find myself in one I’ll be as ready as I can be.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 7:37:16 AM EDT
[#4]
10.5" braced pistol with T1 micro, streamlight M660, matech rear with standard FSB, convertible sling and suppressed as needed.
EDIT- I work less than 2 blocks from an area that gets on the news quite often. (last night, in fact...) Handy and light is the rule around here, heavy is available, if needed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 7:39:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So firing in a general direction while screaming like a little girl is not a tactic?

I gotta get some training!

View Quote

Come on I was trying to be dramatic

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
 I’d even argue that wearing electronic ear-pro and foregoing the suppressor might not be a bad idea either (most crowd members tend to scatter when gunfire happens, might as well make it as audible and deafening as possible).
View Quote

Absolutely disagree.

The first thing to go is earpro. Had Kyle been wearing any it would have been off/askew by the time he hit the ground, and as we all saw, the rioters didn'd give two shits about the sounds of his unsuppressed gun until it was actually pointed right at them.

Suppressors also make it more difficult for angry mobs to locate your position, thereby making it mote difficult for larger numbers to descend upon you should you be forced to defend from one or two. This has the benefit of making it so you have less shooting to do and fewer people get injured. The more confused they are, the more time to get out, more options for less bloodshed. Less injuries or deaths. Only those necessary to defend and protect from the criminal element attempting to enact actual harm. Remember, the goal is protecting life, not taking it. Shooting is a last resort when all other options have been exhausted. Remember how impressed we've all been at Kyles trigger discipline and only shooting when necessary? That is going to serve him well in the legal battle. No need to make things worse than they need to be.

Also, hot suppressors make fantastic compliance tools when applied to the side of a neck whilst directing people to get on the ground or the fuck out of your way.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 7:49:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought 2 slings for different guns.  

Also rezeroed 2 rifles for 50/200m from 100/300m.  

An SBR or 2 would be awesome but I live in a shit state...and forget suppressor here.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 7:55:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I just throw protesters at each other and then dance fight.  Guns are gross.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 7:57:29 AM EDT
[#9]
AR pistol with 60 round mags and pray that it doesn’t ftf
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 7:59:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
After watching what happened in Kenosha who else is thinking of going to a light basic rifle? Or do you think you could engage targets just as quickly with your eleven pound AR with all the doodads?
View Quote

Planning your gear around one specific situation is foolish.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:00:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:01:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I can use my MWS as a club if need be.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:03:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Until the sun goes down, or your targets are hiding behind stuff in an environment where you need to discriminate.
View Quote

Pretty fucking dark when Kyle the Great went on his commie eradication mission.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:03:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I’ve been looking at pencil barrel uppers for awhile. When I find what I want I’ll likely switch up
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:05:01 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:05:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Speaking of light, I'm actually eyeballing my M1 Carbines again. I have two: a 1943 Underwood and a 1944 Rock Ola. Like 99% of M1 Carbines they are post-War rebuilds and I replaced the recoil springs with Wolffs. I have plenty of USGI and Korean 15 rounders along with some Korean 30s.

Both of them are reliable with not just ball but with Remington 110 grain JSP. I have a couple thousand rounds of ball and a few hundred JSPs.

The Underwood wears an Ultimak handguard with a Bushnell TRS-25 on it. I'm going to replace that with a Primary Arms micro RDS with a much longer battery life, and will also add a Rogers Rail Light.

Oh yeah, I also have a bayonet on the way along with 10 more Korean 15 round mags.

If I need something more discreet I have a CZ Scorpion Micro with a RDS and a light, that fits nicely in a laptop backpack along with several magazines loaded with 124 grain Gold Dots, basic cleaning kit, and an IFAK.
View Quote

I love carbines. Have since I was a kid and it was my first centerfield rifle.

But for CQB, not as much. You have an external reciprocating OP rod. Too much chance for it to get hung on something.

I like using my ar with the lpvo but it is heavier than I'd like. I have bare bones and in between, too. So put me in the camp of taking what's appropriate. If unknown, take the broadest capability and worry about weight later.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:08:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Small Light
Sling
Small Optic

Anything else is bling.
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:09:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Could you move a heavy rifle as quickly and and accurately as a 6 lb rifle?
View Quote

Absolutely because a “heavy” rifle is only a few pounds more.  If that is going to break you i suggest you re-evaluate your physical fitness.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:10:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Nope.

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:11:15 AM EDT
[#20]
I just ordered a 10.5 kit from PSA.  Red dot sight.  Light.
Honestly I never considered a light before.   After testing one by shining it in my eyes I am a believer.  It was so bright that the light went through my eyelids.  An attacker would know they are a target when lit up

I know the thing that would be good is the be ability to rapidly change your appearance.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:12:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yup.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Small Light
Sling
Small Optic

Anything else is bling.

Yup.

This situation gets much worse and there may be Practical use for some IR doodads.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:13:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:14:12 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:14:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Well I’m taking my fleshlight off of mine for one. Got no time for that in a mob fight.
View Quote

There is ALWAYS time for a fleshlight.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:15:45 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm thinking of being able to set up so I can change the upper for a light weight, 16" conversion then decided the safe has room for a new rifle.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:15:47 AM EDT
[#27]
The AR's are light and handy.  In any confrontation in public, those are what I would use.  At my home is a different story.  The m1a's are coming out.  Fuck your cover and fuck the guy behind you.  Weight be damned.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:16:15 AM EDT
[#28]
One mag in the gun and that was that. Balls.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Im fine with my kiss rifle. Its most tactical feature is a weapon light

The majority of Americans cant afford the whole night vision setup.

If you can afford it good for you. You are the Tiger tank of the T-34 filled battlefield.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:16:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Isn't the lesson to be learned weapons retention and firing from non-standard positions?
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:17:25 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Kyle was dancing. In the pit. Dance off!
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

So after you beat up PopEye there, did you steal Olive Oyl?

Ah, sorry, isn't every day I get to make a Bluto reference. I always rooted for him. Bluto was a go getter.

You have the ultimate excuse for a Ford Excursion collection.

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:17:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

That describes my current home defense gun.  The D60 as the first mag with six 30 round mags as backup.  However, I would be just as fine with my 16" general purpose midlength carbines too.  One has a light and a T1 and the other has a Steiner PX4i and a light.   With that said I can't really I am rethinking my rifle/carbine setups because I already had them setup in a way that would allow me to fight well with them.

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:19:23 AM EDT
[#34]
I agree as Kyle's situation is just one of many and if people are changing what they do just on one situation, that's on them.  I also do not see the need to change anything based on what happened last week.

Quoted:
What that kid did, his situation, and his rifle has zero effect on what I choose in a rifle.

My experience out weighs his wild night in a riot.

Nothing wrong with a kiss setup but I want more out of a rifle in most cases.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:19:53 AM EDT
[#35]
I'd take this one.

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:20:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I can use my MWS as a club if need be.
View Quote

I got my MWS, put a 20" Barrel on it, now to make it even longer I need a WWII M1 Garand bayonet for it.  I can poke people with it from across the street!
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:20:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
AR pistol or SBR is the only way after watching that.
View Quote

Why? If anything, it seems Rittenhouse's experience shows they are definitely not the only way since he wasn't using one.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:21:07 AM EDT
[#38]
I think I will turn mine into a Porcupine. If someone tries to grab it they are in for a surprise. Good sling
also to swing it like a Mace if I ran out of ammo.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:24:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
.  .  . . (most crowd members tend to scatter when gunfire happens, might as well make it as audible and deafening as possible).
View Quote

This is the opposite of what I have observed on recent videos. The crowds seem unphased by gunfire. Rittenhouse's pursuers didn't stop until three people were on the ground. Another video of a shooting in Atlanta shows people unphased even after a member of the crowd takes a bullet. I'll stick with the suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:31:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Am considering painting big pink dicks on mine, so that the blue haired lesbian communists are disinclined to grab it
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:36:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Well I’m taking my fleshlight off of mine for one. Got no time for that in a mob fight.
View Quote

Are you sure that's wise?   If there are any of teh gays in the mob it gives them tunnel vision.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:44:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This is the opposite of what I have observed on recent videos. The crowds seem unphased by gunfire. Rittenhouse's pursuers didn't stop until three people were on the ground. Another video of a shooting in Atlanta shows people unphased even after a member of the crowd takes a bullet. I'll stick with the suppressor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.  .  . . (most crowd members tend to scatter when gunfire happens, might as well make it as audible and deafening as possible).

You are both right to an extent.  A lot of the crowd will disperse with gunfire, or at least take cover.  Those that stick around are much more likely to be the ones looking to cause trouble and hurt you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Already redid it.

LPVO on a 20" rifle was not the ideal set up for close engagements.

Went from this,

To this

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:46:44 AM EDT
[#44]
All these riots got me thinking about building an AR15 riot gun. I have an idea of what I want it to be. Watching Kyle fall and have to fight from on the ground had me think that a carbine could be handier than a rifle. So I wanna build a carbine hbar, heavy barrel for bashing anybody at close distance, and also a bayonet just in case. I dont care about the weight, I want it to be heavy, I want it to hurt when you bash somebody with it. I think a walnut A1 stock could be good for bashing faces too, I would fabricate a metal butt plate to fit it. It definitely needs a sling too so it can't be snatched.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:46:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Pretty fucking dark when Kyle the Great went on his commie eradication mission.
View Quote

What? It was a well lit street in the city. It wasn't noon, but it definitely wasn't dark.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Alright all you armchair commandoes he didn't walk in there and start shooting, he did a lot of RUNNING away from them before he defended himself.

If you're not well versered in physical training, firearms training and a healthy dose of common sense then you're running on pure luck.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:47:42 AM EDT
[#47]
The only reason I would add more then a sling, red dot, and light would be if I could afford NVG's.  Then an IR laser/illuminator would be a worthwhile addition.

Or a precision build with magnified optic could benefit from a bipod.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:48:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Thinking of building up a 13.7 BCM clone with a pinned suppressor and keeping things lite weight.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:52:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Mobility is key. Less weight is better.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:53:17 AM EDT
[#50]
I’ve been a minimalist fan for a long time, went with the JP free float tube back in the Larue craze when it was about the only offering that didn’t include 1913 on all 4 sides and have stuck with the tube setup since.

Now with the Samson rail, T1, sling, and a TLR-1 which is about the only thing I might upgrade for something a bit brighter.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top