Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#1]
The more important lesson to learn is tactics not equipment.  

He wandered amongst the enemy trying to talk to them, be a medic etc, expecting them to act like human beings.  They attacked him and he had to do some crazy things and got a little lucky to get away with it and survive.

Don’t get isolated.  Stay in your group shoulder to shoulder.  Don’t let them get behind you.  Plenty of examples how to do it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:55:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Only thing I am reconsidering is the size of my light. Might downsize to a 300 size Surefire instead the 600P Fury I have on there now.

The Kenosha thing really shows the importance of a quality sling, if that wasn't evident already.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:57:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been preaching this high-speed, low-drag for years
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:57:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Only thing I am reconsidering is the size of my light. Might downsize to a 300 size Surefire instead the 600P Fury I have on there now.

The Kenosha thing really shows the importance of a quality sling, if that wasn't evident already.
View Quote

I'm with you on the sling. And learning how to swim through it as needed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Imagine watching the footage of St. Kyle triumphing and thinking you needed to fiddle-fuck with your gear.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:12:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a red dot, Magpul BUIS, sling and flashlight (Surefire G2 with LED drop in) on my 16 inch carbine.  The only other items I have are a CAA side saddle cheekpiece and a vertical foregrip.

I could remove the cheekpiece and foregrip, but they don't add much weight and actually help.  The biggest source of weight is my barrel.  When I built this carbine back in 1992, the only barrel available to me was a heavy barrel.  Under the handguard, the barrel is about 3/4 of an inch thick.  

But not having a regular place to shoot makes me want to leave things alone and just deal with it.

I would like to add a QD bayonet lug, though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:19:28 AM EDT
[#7]
My take is that shorter is better, more maneuverable & less to grab onto. Even before the shooting started I was pretty concerned with the lack of personal space being afforded to people carrying loaded rifles, way too close for comfort in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#8]
St. Kyle can only be dethroned in internet legend by someone sticking an antifa dickhead with a bayonet (and the encounter being filmed).  Those memes would last for generations.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:27:45 AM EDT
[#9]
All I've ever put on my rifles is Optic, Light and Sling.  This year would have been some sort of infrared aiming device as well, but I bought a fucking engagement ring instead of NV.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm rocking a 10.5 AR pistol on a LMT/MARS lower. Sling, a Surefire Scout light, ACOG/Piggy-back RMR. It has an MGI quick change upper so I can configure it in most any barrel length/caliber(.22LR to .458 SOCOM) in a few minutes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I have 6 pound KISS builds, 15 pound LR builds, and stuff in between.  Everything is METT-T dependent.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Pencil barrel with micro RDS, light, and sling.

What's to rethink?
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:40:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Most people probably need to learn how to effectively use their rifle.
View Quote

This is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#14]
11.5" Faxon Gunner profile barrel with 10.5" MI Combat Lightweight handguard. Ferro Concepts Slingster. Eotech RDS. I don't think a light is necessary for riot patrol, but then again I am not going on riot patrol.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
11.5" Faxon Gunner profile barrel with 10.5" MI Combat Lightweight handguard. Ferro Concepts Slingster. Eotech RDS. I don't think a light is necessary for riot patrol, but then again I am not going on riot patrol.
View Quote

If Kyle had nuked some eyeballs and made his attackers hesitate just enough to escape he'd be at home eating icecream right now.

Is it a guarantee? No, absolutely not and the way they were after him I don't know that it would have helped. When doing force on force do some of these retarded bright lights sometimes screw people up for a second? Absolutely.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:47:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Well since I live in Kenosha this definitely made me evaluate the hardware situation, it hit and we only have what we have on hand as far as firearms, accessories and ammo. It was enough, but was not ideal. I just got a CX4 set up with a light and reflex sight, and 30rd mags for the wife, but didn't have a sling on it. Our 16"AR has a sling and red dot, but no light. I have shoulder strapped mag carriers for the CX4, but nothing to grab and carry AR mags. My handguns don't have holsters except one, and that one isn't the one I'd want to have in a riot situation. That is all getting fixed ASAP. Fortunately my firearm choices were good ones, and I just need the proper accessories. Lesson learned don't ever assume you have plenty of time to get your gear sorted out, shit can happen instantly as we definitely found out.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 10:01:08 AM EDT
[#18]
That's why I got a MK18. Short, and to the point.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My Trunk Gun is a Bushmaster A2 carbine.

Ambi-safety, extended charging handle, single point sling.

<a href="<a href="https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v492/Bamashooter/Trunk%20Gun%202014/.highres/KIMG0184_zpsd8fece1c.jpg" >[url]https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v492/Bamashooter/Trunk%20Gun%202014/.highres/KIMG0184_zpsd8fece1c.jpg">https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v492/Bamashooter/Trunk%20Gun%202014/.highres/KIMG0184_zpsd8fece1c.jpg">[url=https://app.photobucket.com/u/Bamashooter/a/3cd87bfd-0bfe-40bd-866b-9baba2be0959/p/5a1e949c-2594-4d50-a104-2a0c5e231ee7]https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/v492/Bamashooter/Trunk%20Gun%202014/.highres/KIMG0184_zpsd8fece1c.jpg
View Quote
Potato picture is blurry, does that have their ban era deafener, I mean brake?

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Imagine watching the footage of St. Kyle triumphing and thinking you needed to fiddle-fuck with your gear.
View Quote

You might decide that new information doesn't change the conclusions you have already reached, but rejecting new information without troubling to consider it is silly.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 10:50:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#22]
I built a lightweight rifle a couple years ago in anticipation of the current events.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 10:50:52 AM EDT
[#23]
It seems to me that we should all perhaps look at doing windsprints in our gear. Kyle's greatest asset was his ability to sprint a block or two, then shoot a queerbait auntqueefa in the nards at a moment's notice in a poorly-lit, confused urban environment.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 10:56:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have never had anything other than a basic rifle with a red dot or lpvo.  All that extra stuff may look cool, but it really does not do anything.
View Quote

Not even a flashlight or forward grip?
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 10:57:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Staying with stock Colt with Magpul MS-1 sling.

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It seems to me that we should all perhaps look at doing windsprints in our gear.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It seems to me that we should all perhaps look at doing windsprints in our gear.
Some people are doing that.
Quoted:
Kyle's greatest asset was his ability to sprint a block or two, then shoot a queerbait auntqueefa in the nards at a moment's notice in a poorly-lit, confused urban environment.
I hear there are events where people have to do physical things then shoot.  Checking out or running in a few of those things would be a good indicator/self-assessment on how one might perform in a situation like Kyle's.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Well I’m taking my fleshlight off of mine for one. Got no time for that in a mob fight.
View Quote

So you're saying my KSG shotgun will be appropriate for some situations?
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Small Light
Sling
Small Optic

Anything else is bling.
View Quote

For riot duty agreed.  If I had NV I’d include an IR illuminator/laser but we’re a ways out from having to snipe people in the dark.

Not sure what else I’d need.

I could lose 10 pounds off my ass a lot easier than 3 pounds off my rifle.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:01:47 AM EDT
[#30]
There is nothing about those shootings that has caused me to rethink how my rifles are set up, only to reaffirm that a sling isn't optional and it would behoove one to practice shooting from unconventional positions.  I already knew that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#32]
I think I already have a simple and effective setup.  It's why I assembled it that way.  I'm not changing my rifle because something happened to one dude, in one place, at one time.

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most people probably need to learn how to effectively use their rifle.

Kyle got it done.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:04:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It seems to me that we should all perhaps look at doing windsprints in our gear. Kyle's greatest asset was his ability to sprint a block or two, then shoot a queerbait auntqueefa in the nards at a moment's notice in a poorly-lit, confused urban environment.
View Quote

Word.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:05:54 AM EDT
[#35]
If I'm at home, it's kitted out...but when I'm out or in motion, I'm simple and compact.

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:06:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Setting mine up now.

TBAC Dedicated Suppressed Upper (DSU) - 10.3" barrel + 5.8" pinned can
Inforce WML 800 lumen light
Very basic Cav Arms lower
Sling
D-60

Right now it has basic iron sights, planning to add a Holosun 510 circle-dot red dot.

I'm not an operator operating operationally, I don't have a plate carrier or a battle belt. If i was to be in Kyle shoes, I'd be rocking the AR above, my 43X w/ S15 mag in an OWB holster, and maybe a spare mag for each on my belt (looking at the new Phlster Ascent pouches for those).

90 rounds for the AR and 30 rounds for the 43X is plenty for me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:06:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:08:07 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a 20" with collapsible stock, iron sights, and 2 point sling in the truck.
I'm just fine with that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:08:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
After watching what happened in Kenosha who else is thinking of going to a light basic rifle? Or do you think you could engage targets just as quickly with your eleven pound AR with all the doodads?
View Quote

I bought a BRN-180 upper to try and liked it. This also made the carbine lighter, so I went ahead and remodeled the whole thing - took off the ACOG and M16A1 stock and put on a RDS and a standard carbine stock (without the spring and buffer, of course). The resulting carbine is a couple pounds lighter than it was and a lot more fun to shoot. I loved the ACOG but the whole time I had it, I was at a loss to describe the tactical application of that set-up in my AO which is wooded/suburban. Meanwhile, I was getting better and better with RDS on my other long-guns, so the bottom line is speed has overcome pinpoint accuracy. I am keeping the ACOG at least for now. It was sighted in on the new upper so I actually could put it back on and be on the paper but over time that possibility will become less likely.
I agree with the concept you refer to - lightweight, fast, simple.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I like my rifles like my women: short, lightweight, and no bullshit hanging off it. Also black.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Ima be right behind this cat.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#43]
My defense rifle has gone on a diet at the start of the riots.  Of course, being in Komifornia, I'm limited to pinned M4 14.5" barrels.  But all the heavy stuff is going sans an Aimpoint, and collapsible stock.  Took off the fancy rails and put the regular handguard back on.

If I lived in a free state, I would go further with a SBR.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Not even a flashlight or forward grip?
View Quote

Forward grip adds another snag point.  Flashlights can be very overt.  It's another tactical decision in the decision tree while under stress.  If it's dark enough for limited visibility, it probably a good time to scoot and exit the danger zone, not stand and fight.

In fact, more add-ons can cause difficult troubleshooting under stress.  Most who don't train as often as they should, might be better off leaving that stuff off, and get down to essentials only.

I don't train as often as I did when I was single and no children.  So I recognized using the KISS principle would be better.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm rethinking my dream anti-riot carbine...  not for any sissies, though. (Just how big a boy are you?)

Small and lightweight - something the size of an MP5

Reasonable capacity - 25 round magazine would be fine.

Sufficient caliber / fast firing - I don't need a .50 BMG.  But I don't want a .22, either. I'm thinking 45-90 with full auto availability.  Not blistering fast, but around 1000 RPM.  Mate this with some 400-500 grain hard cast bullets and you've got yourself a carbine with the ability to end a fight real fast, there.

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#46]
I decided to make my "Truck gun" a KISS AR, 4 years ago.

Hope you have time to Ketchup, tomato
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:25:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm rethinking my dream anti-riot carbine...  not for any sissies, though. (Just how big a boy are you?)

Sufficient caliber / fast firing - I don't need a .50 BMG.  But I don't want a .22, either. I'm thinking 45-90 with full auto availability.  Not blistering fast, but around 1000 RPM.  Mate this with some 400-500 grain hard cast bullets and you've got yourself a carbine with the ability to end a fight real fast, there.

View Quote

Going to have lots of headshots if you're aiming for center mass.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#48]
At least use one of these
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#49]
I am thinking about picking up an HK 51K SBR for riot defense and putting a bayonet on it. As I see it I get three weapons in one with this set up.

Rifle, flame thrower and stabbing weapon.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like a teenager's fantasy gun.

The answer you seek, is a lightweight AR15, in 5.56mm
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top