Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:49:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For a rifle to defend against a mob, this.  There are other situations where other items may be wanted.
View Quote
This.  A lightweight, handy AR is super useful.  Something with some more capabilities is also super useful.

Get both.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm keeping mine the same

View Quote

WTF is up with the hole in the mag?  You trying to make a Russian Chauchat?  It's just gonna let dirt and debris in to jam your rifle.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#3]

What light mount is that? are there different thorntails? Or just that one style? Because the only other one I saw looks different than that one.
@Cincinnatus
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

WTF is up with the hole in the mag?  You trying to make a Russian Chauchat?  It's just gonna let dirt and debris in to jam your rifle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm keeping mine the same

https://i.imgur.com/Y0BIQyBh.jpg

I dig it. You’re right about trash making its way in, but it looks badass for range fun.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I agree as Kyle's situation is just one of many and if people are changing what they do just on one situation, that's on them.  I also do not see the need to change anything based on what happened last week.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
I agree as Kyle's situation is just one of many and if people are changing what they do just on one situation, that's on them.  I also do not see the need to change anything based on what happened last week.

Quoted:
What that kid did, his situation, and his rifle has zero effect on what I choose in a rifle.

My experience out weighs his wild night in a riot.

Nothing wrong with a kiss setup but I want more out of a rifle in most cases.

I think what some people are missing is that the most important thing Kyle had going for him was the amount of training he clearly had.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 4:25:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Lol. That “weight” and those “doodads” give you options. Know what sucks? When your only option to see things is turning on a big ass bright white light that says to every low tech person “hey I’m right here.”
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Building out my LT UU 12" 5.56 pistol to fit this role

TA31 ECOS
Streamlight HL-X
BFG sling

Debating if a DBAL-I2 is worth it since I dont have wizard eyes. Though the visible laser might still be nice for point and shoot
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 5:17:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

Mine is pretty light.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

You’re right, but I don’t know how to change mags, So I have the same concerns as you.

Not really (laughs in AK47)
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

IWC Thorntail made for the older Surefire models (M952, etc).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What light mount is that? are there different thorntails? Or just that one style? Because the only other one I saw looks different than that one.
@Cincinnatus

IWC Thorntail made for the older Surefire models (M952, etc).

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Some good people run towards trouble.

View Quote

Most conservatives are going to sit at home, “defending” their house, and giving a hearty fuck you to any suggestion that they help defend neighbors and community.

Later, as the commies parade victorious, they’ll wonder at how it all happened, at where they went wrong.  Being picked off one by one, as lone individuals, never realizing they were out-organized and lost the battle well before bullets started flying.

It’s one of the rights weaknesses, up there with the strict adherence to the law at all costs.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Will likely stick to my 1886 Winchester. In a crowd, how many commies will a black powder 45-90 punch through with 405gr hard casts?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:01:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Rethink?  
Hell no...
CONFIRMED what I already knew.  

8"-9".300blk with 110gr vmax or 110gr tac-tx.
Sling
Red dot
Light

Compact, powerful.  More than enough range and accuracy.
I have a couple of the those set-ups.

Since I'm in the burbs, I won't be shooting at coyotes 400 yards away..  (Oddly enough, there was a yote right outside the door, maybe 30 feet away last night...but I can't shoot them.  No worries, the local Karens will spam COYOTE SPOTTED! on the Neighborhood app).

My 16" 5.56 is for SHTF.  More range, ammo everywhere....BUT....it stays in the safe.
If these events have taught us anything, it is that the encounters have been at CLOSE range.   Has anyone been killed beyond 10 yards?  Don't need to rock an HD/SD weapon that adds barrel length and heavy optics so it can go out to 500 yards, when it might be hard to justify even a 50 yard shot.

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:10:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just ordered a 10.5 kit from PSA.  Red dot sight.  Light.
Honestly I never considered a light before.   After testing one by shining it in my eyes I am a believer.  It was so bright that the light went through my eyelids.  An attacker would know they are a target when lit up

I know the thing that would be good is the be ability to rapidly change your appearance.
View Quote

I think a light is more important than just about anything else on a rifle. Having said that, I'm a little skeptical of all these claims (not necessarily yours) that a light is going to automatically blind or even "stun" the person you're pointing it at. We should be aiming center mass, not the head, so I'm not convinced your attacker will be so blinded or stunned to the point where they can't shoot back.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#16]
It would take a lot for me to be on the street like him.  If I had to be, I'm running with a can and maybe a thermal option for situational breadth
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:18:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:19:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It would take a lot for me to be on the street like him.  If I had to be, I'm running with a can and maybe a thermal option for situational breadth
View Quote

I'm actually glad the Kyle and the Mccloskeys (sp?) weren't tricked out. Imagine if they were wearing nods, a plate carrier, mk18 w/suppressor, etc. This doesn't look crazy to this forum, but it looks insane to the vast majority of the population.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:20:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not me.  It'll still be this:

https://i.imgur.com/yqYfJAAh.jpg

Although I'm gonna make it a point not to go out and mingle amongst the crowd.  I'm glad Rittenhouse came away as winner of the first annual Kenosha Quickdraw Competition, but he was awful close to being overwhelmed, disarmed and killed.
View Quote

This. He could have easily been rushed and beaten to death.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:23:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Not really
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:26:04 PM EDT
[#21]
LOL WTF?

This place never ceases to amaze me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Keep it simple.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:32:55 PM EDT
[#24]
The only rifle I have right now is a 10/22.  I can't really "rethink" that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#25]
My go to is a Daniel Defense SLW (Super Light Wright, I think that is?) with a Magpul sling, Trijicon MRO, and Streamlight.   About as light as it could be.  (Disregard the D60)Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Red dot and a light.  What other doo dads are needed?
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Find a pallet of bricks. Site in on said pallet from concealment. Figure out the rest.
View Quote

Hunting over bait, I like it!
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Not really
View Quote

They chased him after he smoked that chomo and armed with an AR.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#29]
So you mean I need to take off my gun nutz?
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 10:14:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Small Light
Sling
Small Optic

Anything else is bling.
View Quote

+suppressor and possibly laser for gas mask use
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 10:23:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Only thing Kenosha made me rethink was that a bayonet might be useful.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

For a rifle to defend against a mob, this.  There are other situations where other items may be wanted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Light
Sling
Optic

Anything else is bling.

This . Options.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 10:26:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Sharp gnarly brake.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 10:53:31 PM EDT
[#35]
M92 PAP with a light, RMR and a sling.

That's it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 10:56:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

i will assume this refers to a weapon mount light then?

saying only combat effective 50% of the time is more then a little silly.

even on the two equinoxes, you still have dawn and dusk, which both eat into that '50%' number.

there are very few instances where i have wanted a light to be actually on my weapon, and those few instances were exclusively to blind the people right in front of me, not actually to see myself.

in an in home, on your own property type situation i could see it. out in the world on the street, its just weight and a beacon.

for me, the only reason i would want a light is with a strobe function, and even then its use case is a lot smaller then i would be willing to spend the weight on.

to each their own, but, 'shoot at the light' is a real thing on an open street.
View Quote
No light, no IR laser and blatantly obvious from your comments no low light training.

Guys like me and my friends will be able to do what we want from sundown to sunrise while you're fudding it up. It'd be like shooting fish in a barrel.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:03:31 PM EDT
[#37]
I have went with the Recce style the last two.  I must say though, an AR pistol with a dot is really damn handy.

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:42:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I wish all that "insane" stuff would be more normalized.  Short barrels, suppressors, body armor, night vision, hell even select fire.  I wish it all weren't so taboo among the masses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm actually glad the Kyle and the Mccloskeys (sp?) weren't tricked out. Imagine if they were wearing nods, a plate carrier, mk18 w/suppressor, etc. This doesn't look crazy to this forum, but it looks insane to the vast majority of the population.
I wish all that "insane" stuff would be more normalized.  Short barrels, suppressors, body armor, night vision, hell even select fire.  I wish it all weren't so taboo among the masses.

Actually good points.  Imagine someone pulling a Glock, not even a heat seeking wizard moon weapon AR, but a simple pistol...with a 31 round magazine.  Libtard DA's would be all over it saying "intent to kill."

The demonizing of our base God given rights is another communist tactic.  These demons need to go to hell.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:44:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Not me.  It'll still be this:

https://i.imgur.com/yqYfJAAh.jpg

Although I'm gonna make it a point not to go out and mingle amongst the crowd.  I'm glad Rittenhouse came away as winner of the first annual Kenosha Quickdraw Competition, but he was awful close to being overwhelmed, disarmed and killed.
View Quote

I think we're twins

Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Yes.   I made the change before Kenosha.  I decided that my 13 pound 20" HBar A2 pattern range target rifle was not ideal in a defensive roll.

I find I am better served with my Windham 16" superlight at 6.75 pounds with red dot.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:53:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Why not have different size tools for different size jobs? Then have some for in-between. If you want to cover it all run a pistol 308 ar with a brace.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 11:59:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Why not have different size tools for different size jobs? Then have some for in-between. If you want to cover it all run a pistol 308 ar with a brace.
View Quote

If you're going out, what are you taking?  Different tools for different jobs assumes a different scenario than Kyle placed himself.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:08:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Not so much, light, red dot and sling. Comes in at 8 pounds. Could be lighter but I don't care that much.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:09:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Rethink?  
Hell no...
CONFIRMED what I already knew.  
View Quote
This. Self defense shootings happen close quarters, SBRs are great because they are compact but still have plenty of range, a rifle is part of a system (a system that should include an auxiliary option and a contingency option), and all the best and most mission specific gear in the world can't overcome the fact that it is tactics, decision making, situational awareness, and reaction time that will determine the outcome, not gear
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:12:33 AM EDT
[#45]
I just built a new AR this week. 14.5 govt profile with a light weight BCM Mlok rail. but then I added all the insta bling.

Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:20:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Mindset, training and tactics. Cardio and weights are essential.

A capable AR rifle is going to be the least of your concerns.

ETA: I sell firearms for a living.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:23:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Or tan
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like my rifles like my women: short, lightweight, and no bullshit hanging off it. Also black.

Or tan

I prefer them green.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:25:43 AM EDT
[#48]
I like light weapons.  I already have a 16" pencil barrel carbine and a 10.5" pistol.  I already knew I needed slings for them but watching the attempt to disarm Kyle motivated me to actually get them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:55:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If you're going out, what are you taking?  Different tools for different jobs assumes a different scenario than Kyle placed himself.
View Quote

If Kyle had faced an oncoming vehicle, there might have been a different weapon to choose from. If defending a fixed location there might have been a different weapon to choose. I honestly think the AR platform worked for this scenario and honestly, he got lucky. A 16.5 inch carbine got the job done. I think your rifle setup completely depends on several variables. At his ranges, a 9mm semi-auto pistol could have performed just as well with less weight while being less conspicuous. The rifle may have made him a target. In this scenario, I'd prefer to conceal a scorpion micro pistol with binary and a few mags of 9mm. If concealed wasn't an option, I'd go with the shortest 308 and largest capacity magazine I could. I don't think he expected police to funnel rioters his way. I'd hate to armchair quarterback this, he was in a tough position and made tough choices. He's alive and that's the biggest thing.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 1:19:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Could you move a heavy rifle as quickly and and accurately as a 6 lb rifle?
View Quote

No, but my heavier rifle can be used 24 hours a day, damaged my hearing less, and is easier to make hits with because of magnification.m

Being against enhancing capabilities is just dumb.

I also practice avoidance because I don’t want to have to kill someone again, then get railroaded by a biased legal system on top of it.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top