Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 1:26:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
After watching what happened in Kenosha who else is thinking of going to a light basic rifle? Or do you think you could engage targets just as quickly with your eleven pound AR with all the doodads?
View Quote
I've never had problems swiftly handling my 7-8ish lb rifle.

M&P15, 1x Optic, light with rail, grip stop, good stock have done me well for some time now
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 1:31:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Why should it? I've used the same two set ups on my ar for 20 years damn near. 11.5in barrel, m6 light/laser aimpoint comp m. The other is a 16in barrel with Leopold 1-4x scope and a flashlight. Set your shit up with what fits/works for you and learn how to drive the fuck out of it and stop listening to all the bs.

That wasn't Kyles gun to begin with so the real lesson in this is that none of that shit hanging off the gun matters. From the available info this kid spent lots of time around guns. He didn't just pick up that borrowed ar15 yell by the power of greyskull and turn into fucking He-Man or John fucking McClain. He had some type shooting skills and knowledge prior to this, he had a little luck but most importantly once he was in that use of force situation he had a mindset that he was going to fight for his fucking life against anyone who made themself a threat. His mindset was more important then any doodads hanging or not hanging off that gun. If you want to copy something from Kyle copy that mindset, get your head in the right place because if it's not then you might as well hand that gun to the bad guys and kiss your ass good-bye.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 1:38:26 AM EDT
[#3]
My go to rifle is a SCAR 17 with red dot, light and Vtac hybrid padded sling.

My backup rifle is a SCAR 16 with LPVO and Vtac hybrid padded sling.

Link Posted: 9/2/2020 1:40:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 1:48:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
D-60 all the things.
View Quote

Of course, this is the correct answer.

Link Posted: 9/2/2020 2:00:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think a light is more important than just about anything else on a rifle. Having said that, I'm a little skeptical of all these claims (not necessarily yours) that a light is going to automatically blind or even "stun" the person you're pointing it at. We should be aiming center mass, not the head, so I'm not convinced your attacker will be so blinded or stunned to the point where they can't shoot back.
View Quote
You're kidding right? Most lights have at least a small amount of spill on the beam.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 2:27:40 AM EDT
[#7]
My gear is shit - I am going to die.

Attachment Attached File

Not pictured, the MagPul M3 sling that normally rides as a single point, or two point with one on that forward mount. Still figuring out which works better.

Rule number one for surviving a gun fight seems to be don't get in one. I do practice move/shoot/reload...the targets are finally starting to take me semi-seriously. Since I am about as high speed/low drag as a Mack truck with two blown tires, I will do my level best to stay OUT of the area.
However, if the area should come to me, this would be the likely setup to be available if need be. Light is Surefire G2 Nitrolon.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:06:26 AM EDT
[#8]
The one thing most of the folks here have studiously avoided even considering: organizing with others ahead of time so you are not alone.

Note, that's when it all went sideways for Kyle. He was fine until he got separated from his partner.

Join American Contingency.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 5:05:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm considering a California Bullet Button.  Think about it: for hours Kyle was at the gas station and surrounded and harassed by rioters.  Someone could've easily punched his mag release and taken the mag leaving him with only one bullet for the rest of the night.

Other than that it's just increasing my desire for a lightweight SBR, subgun, and/or PDW that can take a bayonet.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 5:22:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Nope.

My X95 is just fine. Red dot, light.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 5:36:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
After watching what happened in Kenosha who else is thinking of going to a light basic rifle? Or do you think you could engage targets just as quickly with your eleven pound AR with all the doodads?
View Quote

Nope
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 6:37:41 AM EDT
[#12]
If you had taken a carbine class or two, you would’ve already came to that conclusion.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 7:35:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No light, no IR laser and blatantly obvious from your comments no low light training.

Guys like me and my friends will be able to do what we want from sundown to sunrise while you're fudding it up. It'd be like shooting fish in a barrel.
View Quote

if you are depending on your weapon being the source of your low light vision, you are doing it wrong
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 8:44:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Small Light
Sling
Small Optic

Anything else is bling.
View Quote
More or less what I have now. Only thing I'd add is make the light one that has an IR option. When I get into NV, I'll add an IR laser of some sort.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 9:01:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Lightweight barrel + C7 upper with A2 rear aperture works for me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I want a chainsaw bayonet. Imagine if Kyle had had one?
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 9:19:03 AM EDT
[#17]

I really want to make a 10/22 like that. I wonder what kind of ammo they used in those.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't have an 11lb rifle with do dads.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 9:24:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A helmet would be a good idea too. Even just non ballistic to protect your head from flying bricks/rocks/fists.

https://op2.0ps.us/978-550-ffffff-no-upscale/opplanet-chase-tactical-bump-helmet-non-ballistic-ct-bump1-atau-main.jpg

level 3A vest for the panifa pussies that show up strapped.
View Quote

And skateboards.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 9:25:28 AM EDT
[#20]
No but it has reinforced the importance of a good sling
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Never really considered a non-IR laser on a rifle but is it something to consider to aid in firing from weird positions like he had to?

View Quote

He had no time to activate a laser.  He was point shooting at virtually contact distances.  Decent hand eye coordination.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm considering a California Bullet Button.  Think about it: for hours Kyle was at the gas station and surrounded and harassed by rioters.  Someone could've easily punched his mag release and taken the mag leaving him with only one bullet for the rest of the night.

Other than that it's just increasing my desire for a lightweight SBR, subgun, and/or PDW that can take a bayonet.
View Quote

Someone also could have stuck a knife in his kidney.

Don’t mingle with the enemy.  Have a barrier. Stay with friends.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 9:31:36 AM EDT
[#23]
I like my PSA setup.  

Added an Aimpoint PRO, Minimalist stock and Magpul VTac sling
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 9:41:11 AM EDT
[#24]
I've been thinking since the Virginia rally that I might be better off carrying a $300 PSA 10.5" pistol than my $2000 BCM SBR.  I'd hate to loose my SBR as evidence.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#25]
I think it’s best to keep the carbines and battle rifles.

The Hero of Kenosha’s setup could’ve been improved with a bayonet, a backup pistol carried on his chest, and some armor.  A better organized group would’ve been a huge boon as well.

He took on three people in close quarters hand to hand combat.  Any rifle or “pistol” ar type gun Is at a disadvantage in that situation.

If that happens 10 times he comes out on top how many times?  Tough to say, but he did get lucky at several points.

1. First guy was a complete maniac.  Let’s say he had a knife on him.  Kyle would be in serious trouble.

2. Arm mist guy had a gun and decided against firing at Kyle when he had the opportunity.  That’s a lucky outcome.

3.  If skateboard shit head hits Kyle in the head with the right part of the skateboard Kyle is out.  All bets are off at that point.  They could’ve done butt stuff to him!!  That was luck

4.  No one there fighting back was emboldened by having on armor.  Luck of the crowd content.  Is your 300 blackout pistol going to punch through armor or do you need to rely on superior marksmanship?

5.  He was fucked by his groups lack of organization.  A better group would’ve prevented the whole scenario from playing out.  

He has mad skills and incredible willpower, no doubt.  But he also had Lady Luck on his side.

Better group prevents whole incident

Bayonet possibly prevents close encounter

Pistol is there if they get close and hold rifle

Armor is there to prevent stabbing or arm mist guy from killing him as easily.

Link Posted: 9/2/2020 10:06:06 AM EDT
[#26]
My three-gun days are probably done, so I’m thinking about how to convert my match rifle into something a little “fightier”.  My two main social rifles are SBRs, so it would be nice to have something non-NFA.

Tougher optic and different muzzle device mainly.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 10:11:17 AM EDT
[#27]

That is almost exactly the way my pistol is set up? Down to the IDF sling.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 10:13:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 10:24:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Its the Indian. Not the arrow. That kid was fucking lucky to make it out of there. Quality guns and kit don't mean as much if you don't train/practice with it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm thinking the location of my rifle setup needs to stay the fuck away from out of control riots.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wouldnt that kinda suck if you used your rifle in self defense and then have po po collect it for evidence and it sits in their armory till the trial is done?
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 11:35:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Wouldnt that kinda suck if you used your rifle in self defense and then have po po collect it for evidence and it sits in their armory till the trial is done?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As opposed to being dead?  No.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thats why you have more than 1...
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:10:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope.

Laughs in CQBR.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't care about having a lot of guns, but I do care about being able to match the tool to the job.  so i have a rifle (actually a carbine, but that counts as full-sized these days) with a chunky LPVO, and a lightweight 10.5" AR pistol with an aimpoint.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:15:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
More importantly do you think 11 lbs is too much for you to handle OP?
View Quote
If I have to fight with the fucking thing, 1# is too heavy.

It needs to be as light, as effective, and as usable as possible. Hanging 20# of shit off it is counterproductive. You could carry 20# of loaded magazines instead
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#38]

I wonder how much more difficult that roll/shoot situation would have been for him if he had something like that sticking off the end. Looked to me like he barely had room to get the muzzle where it needed to be for at least one of those shots.

Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:29:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Got plenty of different set ups. Different configs for different threat levels and uses.
View Quote

agreed there and getting myself into that kind of shit show isnt on the agenda.

it does have me fine tuning my tactics and mission if there is a neighborhood riot though.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#41]

Simple, and accurate. I’m happy with it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:35:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Small Light
Sling
Small Optic

Anything else is bling.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
https://i.ibb.co/K57rcDW/ADF0320-D-7682-4-F69-A36-B-A8-BD6-D16-C258.jpg

Simple, and accurate. I’m happy with it.
View Quote

you should have fixed irons.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:45:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:53:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

A pointy thing on the end may have triggered the pedo/skater's instincts to not touch.
View Quote

Possibly. But I don't know if I'm willing to bet on a possibility.

They already proved their stupidity by attacking a guy armed with a rifle who already showed that he's willing to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:59:03 PM EDT
[#46]

In reality, I would still pick up this.

Link Posted: 9/2/2020 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Now with Surefire X300

Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:23:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#50]

A LOT of them
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top