Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The military won a war the politicians surrendered.
View Quote
Ayup. The US won handily, but the politicians refused to support the RVN after the Paris peace accords.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 9:44:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I know my brother Mac didn't win anything there.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Saigon is named Ho Chi Minh City now, so what do you think?
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I am of the understanding that we had won the war by 1973, but when the Democrats came into power after the Nixon shitshow they punitively cut all financial support to south Vietnam.  So I think the Democrats won the war for the USSR.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 9:51:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Communism.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
North Vietnam wanted unify the country under communist rule.

The country was unified under communist rule. Sounds to me like North Vietnam won.
View Quote
Yep
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Technically the north surrendered to the US in Paris.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Marvin the ARVN lost it all.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Technically the north surrendered to the US in Paris.
View Quote
Do you have a reference for that?  I am not seeing it in here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Peace_Accords
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I think 50 years later no one won  the war is still being fought in Thailand today
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#11]
We were winning when I left
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Can you lose a war you didn’t start?
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Can you lose a war you didn’t start?
View Quote
Sure.

You can say you're not at war but the enemy gets a vote too.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#14]
the north won because  commies in the US gov decided that it was time that the Army stop and to abandon our allies

but they did win, completely

some other winners are surrounding countries that did not fall to chinese communist expansion in the early 60s because they put so much resources into Vietnam. Thailand, Burma, Indonesia. South Korea, Japan,   all winners thanks to the sacrifice of the men who went there, that is a fact. millions are not under communism because of the War in VN even though the SVN did not escape that fate

and of course ironically the Vietnamese now love us anyway
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Marvin the ARVN lost it all.
View Quote
no he didnt.  in fact he accomplished some heroic deeds in the final days that had it been any other military in the world. would be talked about in history  with other great feat of arms.   the 18th division in the final days for instance

hard to  fight when the US democrat congress has you down to an ammo allowance of 1.6 rifle rounds per day , per man
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 1:30:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Poll fail....no one "won".  Just a lot of bodies man.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There is a lot of confusion the Vietnam War.  Mostly perpetrated by Hollywood and the Liberals that like to gloat that the "Left" defeated the "Right". The truth is a little different that the "Ewoks v The Evil Empire" that the Left likes to portray.

Once troops were committed LBJ was a very stupid Commander in Chief.  He chose to fight the Communists in South Vietnam on their grounds.  That caused a tremendous number of casualties that could have been avoided with right strategic planning.  Nixon understood the failures of how LBJ fought the war and changed it big time.  He took the war to North Vietnam and prevailed.

Nixon kick the shit out the North Vietnamese so much that they agreed to sign the Paris Peace Accords, which allowed the existence of a free South Vietnam.  That was our objective from the beginning and we won.

However, that arrangement was only going to work as long as the US supported South Vietnam like we supported South Korea.

That victory against the Communists pissed off the Liberals in the US.  The Democrat controlled Congress, aided by a few stupid weak Republicans, passed  the Case-Church budget amendment that essentially defunded all military aid to South Vietnam.  That gave the Communists the green light to invade.

The US prevailed militarily in the war even despite LBJs stupidity.  The Liberals in Congress gave away the victory.
View Quote
Bravo
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 1:41:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Poll fail....no one "won".  Just a lot of bodies man.  
View Quote
The North won.  They unified the country under their flag.  Don't matter how many faints they used or pretend surrenders.  Look at the results.

Also the North knew they could afford to send men to the grinder.  They had no problem with this.  Their strategy worked fantastically.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 1:43:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Walter Conkrite won. He got the outcome he wanted.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have never understood why politicians held the US military back so much. You would think progress in the war would look better on them than American troops dying for no reason.
View Quote
1) they were spineless
2) they incorrectly believed that the Russians would engage in all out nuclear war if the gloves actually came off.
3) McNamara was the greatest gift to the commies possible.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 1:46:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't know who won in the classic military sense due to these-saw nature of the conflict.

But I do know that US politicians lost the damn war for us.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 1:51:11 PM EDT
[#22]
China.

Nixon and Kissinger should have giant statues in Tiananmen Square.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The North won.  They unified the country under their flag.  Don't matter how many faints they used or pretend surrenders.  Look at the results.

Also the North knew they could afford to send men to the grinder.  They had no problem with this.  Their strategy worked fantastically.
View Quote
Note the "won"....I know who ideally won, but the price was pretty extreme.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#24]
We won the fight, but Vietnam won the war without a doubt
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 2:08:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Note the "won"....I know who ideally won, but the price was pretty extreme.  
View Quote
People are cheap for governments like NV, China etc.  Probably helps them control the populations to thin the heard down with war.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

People are cheap for governments like NV, China etc.  Probably helps them control the populations to thin the heard down with war.
View Quote
Ok....you "won" this opinion-based poll.

Link Posted: 6/17/2019 2:18:01 PM EDT
[#27]
San Diego, they didn't get invaded.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
We won the fight, but Vietnam won the war without a doubt
View Quote
Our invasion of Cambodia in '70 and Laos in '71 were both failures. The '72 Easter Offensive decimated the PAVN, but that fight also killed 1/3 of the ARVN, and that was with our help. ARVN never recovered from that campaign.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#29]
The War in Vietnam was fought to contain the Soviet Union. Where is the Soviet Union Today?
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The War in Vietnam was fought to contain the Soviet Union. Where is the Soviet Union Today?
View Quote
Containment referred to strategy in Europe and the Middle East. In SE Asia, the strategic goal was preventing the Domino Theory from happening, where Chinese communism would assist other communist revolutions so that country by country fell. Which is exactly what happened. The only SE Asians countries that didn't fall to communism were ones we or the British supported, who managed to defeat or stalemate the internal and external communist uprisings/invasions. The rest fell.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 2:54:50 PM EDT
[#31]
The Communists
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 2:59:19 PM EDT
[#32]
The communists.

We made them pay dearly for it though.

True story - I was in Lowe’s a few years ago around the 4th of July, and started looking at a display of American flags for sale.  I looked at the tags and they said “Made in Vietnam.”

Oh the irony!
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Who won the Vietnam War ?
View Quote

China won.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
There is a lot of confusion the Vietnam War.  Mostly perpetrated by Hollywood and the Liberals that like to gloat that the "Left" defeated the "Right". The truth is a little different that the "Ewoks v The Evil Empire" that the Left likes to portray.

Once troops were committed LBJ was a very stupid Commander in Chief.  He chose to fight the Communists in South Vietnam on their grounds.  That caused a tremendous number of casualties that could have been avoided with right strategic planning.  Nixon understood the failures of how LBJ fought the war and changed it big time.  He took the war to North Vietnam and prevailed.

Nixon kick the shit out the North Vietnamese so much that they agreed to sign the Paris Peace Accords, which allowed the existence of a free South Vietnam.  That was our objective from the beginning and we won.

However, that arrangement was only going to work as long as the US supported South Vietnam like we supported South Korea.

That victory against the Communists pissed off the Liberals in the US.  The Democrat controlled Congress, aided by a few stupid weak Republicans, passed  the Case-Church budget amendment that essentially defunded all military aid to South Vietnam.  That gave the Communists the green light to invade.

The US prevailed militarily in the war even despite LBJs stupidity.  The Liberals in Congress gave away the victory.
View Quote
Thank you.  Nice to see someone else who correctly understands what happened.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Dude .... the Russians had a WAAAAYYYYYY worse kill ratio that 2 to 1 ... in the battle for Leningrad they lost like 8 commies for every 1 fascist

ETA - sorry, don't know why i added this post to this thread, completely off topic ... its monday
View Quote
It's allright I like a happy story
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#36]
This should clear everything up

Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee on North and South Vietnam
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 3:09:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Depends on what  you call victory.
Our military got the North to the Peace table, and the war was ended. We achieved what we set out to do--a peace agreement.
Then, a few years later, the North violated the peace agreement, and the politicians refused to back it up.
View Quote
The definition of "won" is gray on this one.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 3:09:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Is there a McDonalds in Vietnam?
Do the Vietnamese drink Coke a Cola?
Where are your sneakers made?
Do the Vietnamese want the the US Navy to port at CamRan bay?
Guess whe though they won, then guess who really won!
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I think 50 years later no one won  the war is still being fought in Thailand today
View Quote
Can you elaborate?
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 3:13:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The media and politicians made damn sure we didn't.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Michelin
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 3:35:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Is there a McDonalds in Vietnam?
Do the Vietnamese drink Coke a Cola?
Where are your sneakers made?
Do the Vietnamese want the the US Navy to port at CamRan bay?
Guess whe though they won, then guess who really won!
View Quote
Winners don't have to play mental gymnastics to prove that they won.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Only being in country for a month when TET broke out didn't give me the warm & fuzzies about the situation even back then.
View Quote
My memory is getting a little fuzzy after all these years but I think I remember the time when morale started to go down hill.

It was the time  when LBJ announced that he was going to stop bombing the North so that he could negotiate with them.   I remember thinking "fuck it, we have no intentions of winning".  After that it was just trying to stay alive.

Of course Nixon reversed that loser strategy when he became President.  He took the war to the north and brought most of the troops home.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:12:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Michelin
View Quote
The Michelin plantation and factory were nationalized by the communists in 1975.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:14:11 PM EDT
[#46]
We won the battles, they won the war.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:15:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Our military won. Our society lost.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:17:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Stop the spead of communism in southeast Asia. That was accomplished.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:25:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Complicated answer.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:34:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Who won the Vietnam War ?
View Quote
usa didnt loose the war. we left.

north vietnam waited a bit and then 'won' the war.

the only way for the united states to win that war would have been to invade north vietnam. probably could have rolled it all up in less than 6 months. however, we would have had to deal with the chinese. at least that was the conclusion of the folks in charge at the time. seems like i read that there was a discussion of increase the number of troops (at all levels) to 750,000 from around 500,000 and it was thought that this would provoke the chinese into getting directly involved so it wasnt done.

the communists were pretty bad.. but its interesting, ho-chi-minh supposedly asked for us support against the french, seeking their independence and end of colonial rule and we refused because the french were allies. in the end the north won anyway and 50+k americans died there and a lot of the left wing crap we deal with today is a direct consequence of the reaction to our involvement in vietnam and the drafting, against their will, of thousands of folks, mostly who couldnt or wouldnt go to college.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top