Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/15/2017 9:27:23 PM EDT
I just thought of this.
Arfcom loves Garands. (And we should.)
Arfcom loves Thompsons.  (And we should.)

I don't see a lot of talk on the Browning BAR.

I can see why the m1918 is not on the battlefield today, certainly.

That being said, the BAR is an awesome gun. Nothing says "Fuck You! We're American!" than shooting full auto 30-06.

I've always wanted one and I think they're fucking awesome.

Here's some random guy on the internet shooting one:

Rocking a full auto Browning BAR
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:29:09 PM EDT
[#1]
ISn't there a modernized one floating around out there?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:31:51 PM EDT
[#2]
H-Car by ohio ordinance work
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:32:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I hope you don't mean this:

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:32:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:34:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Ohio Ordnance Works did up a modernized bar.

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:34:45 PM EDT
[#6]

I have a lefty version in .308 as my deer rifle. Awesome rifle, but nothing at all like a 1918.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:34:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I want one 
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:35:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wish I had been interested in the early 80's, I'd buy two or three at those prices now.  I wouldn't mind having just one.

A BAR and a Glock 18 are the only full auto firearms that interest me.
View Quote

Plenty of FA interests me, but I think I'd need two BARs.

One to be treated nice, shot but preserved in historical condition.

Second would probably be fired every day with the biggest grin ever.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:35:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Would be neat to own a piece of history like that and that it was used by Bonnie and Clyde. Well Clyde at least.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:35:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

OHio Ordnance Works makes a semi auto version, plus one that's been slightly modernized.
A couple years ago when the previous place I worked was doing good and making money and paying profit sharing, I bought one.  They used to do a promotion through Lent, with discounts on various items.  Usually opened and closed whith a sale for the day on their BAR.
I don't know if they still do that.

They are even more expensive now.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I stood next to someone shooting one from a bench to a downhill clearing about 75 yards away. it puts up a impressive display of firepower. very controlled and accurate
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:37:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ohio Ordnance Works did up a modernized bar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD31v5Rziag
View Quote

Definitely cool, but that's a shadow of my grail gun.

Wood, full auto, FA, etc

Doesn't have the character or....you know...full auto.

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:39:10 PM EDT
[#13]
In before three Nazis walk into a BAR jpeg
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:39:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I stood next to someone shooting one from a bench to a downhill clearing about 75 yards away. it puts up a impressive display of firepower. very controlled and accurate
View Quote

I've only held two in real life, but I've never even seen one shot.

If I had the cash...
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd own one in a heartbeat, sure it only has a 20 round mag and it sorta weird to shoot prone but damn if it ain't the most manly shaped chunk of steel ever devised.
Also the gunfight in Devils Rejects, 10/10

The Devil's Rejects shootout scene

More BAR goodness

Breaking Bad - Best Scene of all time
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:42:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'd own one in a heartbeat, sure it only has a 20 round mag and it sorta weird to shoot prone but damn if it ain't the most manly shaped chunk of steel ever devised.
View Quote

You get it. It really does something for me.

Thompsons are fucking awesome, but BARs are just next level America.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:42:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd love t have one in 1918 version. Not the WW2 version.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#18]
FND for the win.  Lots of upgrades to the BAR.  Pistol grip, quick change barrel, more calibers including 7.62, which took the FAL magazine.

FND

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#19]
The BAR isn't sexy, just like the Thompson.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:51:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I've loved the BAR since I was a kid reading WW2 books and looking at all the pictures. Probably don't get much attention around here because even the semi auto repros are so expensive.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:52:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
FND for the win.  Lots of upgrades to the BAR.  Pistol grip, quick change barrel, more calibers including 7.62, which took the FAL magazine.

FND

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/fndbipod.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yam510H2TBs
View Quote

Definitely cool.

That being said, I clicked your link, agreed with them and then reaffirmed my decision.

One of the main complaints against the BAR in combat was its fixed barrel. The concept of an automatic rifle for walking fire was obsolete virtually as soon as it was introduced, and the BAR in combat tended to be used as a light machine gun.
View Quote

Wrong timing...awesome gun.

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:55:13 PM EDT
[#22]

FN Model D

Edit:
Beat by a mile
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

You sir, are a real lover of the M1918.
The base version, as envisioned by John Browning , is incredible.

For the uninitiated, on full auto with a bit of practice, you CAN hold the whole mag on a IPSC target, at 100 meters.
And with a bit more, you can do "fives", on four of the same target.

There are very few "rifles" that will reward you with a bigger smile than the original M1918 BAR, when shot properly and with skill.
It takes work, but damn is it worth it.

Much as I love the BREN, the M1918 is simply an amazing piece of work for it's time, and what it is.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:56:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The BAR isn't sexy, just like the Thompson.
View Quote

I disagree.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:57:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

OHio Ordnance Works makes a semi auto version, plus one that's been slightly modernized.
A couple years ago when the previous place I worked was doing good and making money and paying profit sharing, I bought one.  They used to do a promotion through Lent, with discounts on various items.  Usually opened and closed whith a sale for the day on their BAR.
I don't know if they still do that.

They are even more expensive now.
View Quote
Friend f mine bought one of the 200-some that were made in .308. He got it for $2200. Lucky fucker.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:01:51 PM EDT
[#26]
My dad carried a BAR in Korea during the war. He said it was heavy but reliable.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I bought a OOW years ago for $1000 with a metric shit top of sealed WWII magazines.

They are great to shoot.  Almost no recoil. The rifle is best shot prone but has a fatal flaw shooting prone.  You can't quicly and easily change the magazine while prone without tilting the rifle slightly to the side. It weights around 28 lbs loaded with bipod.  It would take a two man crew to effectively keep heavy sustained fire from a fixed position.

I also have a BREN and while heavier, it's a much better fixed position weapon IMHO. Not as sexy as the BAR...IMHO.

The BAR can be shouldered, but that 28 lbs gets to you quickly.  I can't imagine humping it through the jungles in WWII.  The BREN is not really a shoulder fired rifle.

The positives for the BAR are that it's deadly accurate and the sights are dead on out to 600m with 150 mil loads.

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can you break it down on the differences or was it cosmetic?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd love to have the Colt Monitor version.
http://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=1929
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:11:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Much like the Thompson, a world beater when it was introduced, but by the time WW2 rolled around and BARS finally got to play for real, they were getting a bit dated.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#31]
You see discussion in the Armory forum every once in a while. There are parts kits out there.
BAR KIT
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:19:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You see discussion in the Armory forum every once in a while. There are parts kits out there.
BAR KIT
View Quote

I hate this site.

Here I am thinking we'd discuss a gun. Now I need this and an HCAR.

Gun budget planned this year. 2018 may need the year of the BAR.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:21:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Love the BAR without the bipod. I hate WW2 games that include the BAR with the bipod mount.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Sexy FBI mod

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:23:19 PM EDT
[#36]
My grandfather was a BAR machine gunner in WWII. He was shot in the arm late in the war while he was clearing a town in Belgium on a scout team by German machine gun fire. Always had interest in them. I have a real BAR belt in my rifle room.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#37]
I was lucky enough to spend some time with a 1918A1 and I came away with a couple of observations.

It's a heavy beast.  Really good for keeping rounds on target when shooting unsupported. Really shitty if you have to hump that thing all over Europe or Korea. BAR gunners were tough as nails.
They are also a barrel heating sonavabitch. After just one rip through a twenty rounder will have that barrel way too hot to touch with bare hands. If you ever watch those documentary films of solders fighting in the Pacific, you can see the barrels with smoke coming off them. I can see why now. At the time, I was really surprised that twenty 30.06 rounds had that many BTUs in them.

Regardless, they are awesome to shoot and I loved every minute of it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Way too heavy for what it is and low capacity
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:25:10 PM EDT
[#39]
I owned a BAR for about ten years, an M1918 Winchester upgraded to A2 specs. I foolishly sold it.

I now have two of OOW's semiautomatic versions, that I built on OOW receiver kits with the other parts being like-new GI surplus.

With that background, I have to be honest. The BAR is what it is, with plenty of drawbacks both in the WW1 version and the WW2 version. We used it because that's what we had. As a light machine gun, the German MG42 was head and shoulders better. I'd be happy to expound if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Mines an Ohio Ordnance 1918a3 semi automatic. She's not FA, but it's as close as my poor ass will ever come to owning one.

I am a fortunate man.

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:36:01 PM EDT
[#41]
I too have an Ohio Ordnance Works 1918A3 Semi....it is a beautiful work of art. Mine is a very early production (s/n under 350...) with all USGI parts (as they ran out of USGI, they had to start making them, much like M1A builds...). I stuck with a USGI plastic butt stock, since pretty much all WWII issue guns used the plastic. I'd like to get a USGI walnut butt just to have...

It is heavy, but dead nuts accurate. I can hit clay birds at 100 yds off hand. It is so heavy, and with the semi auto action, there isn't much recoil.

Once you have the gun, then the fun is collecting all the goodies, tools, BAR belts, manuals, the whole shebang....

I highly recommend it!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#42]
HCAR. Yea, I will get one eventually!
And maybe even a 1918 BAR. Just Awesome.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:41:43 PM EDT
[#43]
I've handled a quality semi-auto conversion of a 1947(?) parts kit build. It was incredibly heavy for what it was, the sights sucked, and the ergonomics were all wrong. It is still a very cool gun.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:45:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I remember inrangeTV on youtube taking a semi auto one to a match. They didn't seem very impressed if I remember correctly. I think they had problems with the bipod and found the rifle too heavy to effectively use from an standing offhand position. Great for it's day but when you pick one up and run around shooting one you see why they switched to something else.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:54:31 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/190221/image-147528.JPG

^ See it now. I agree on the simplistic look of the 1918.  Without the bi-pod, looks like it was meant to be fired on the move, from the hip?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:56:26 PM EDT
[#46]
One sunny afternoon in some hills on Camp Pendleton we were blessed to have two of them  and cases of loaded magazines. Shooting prone across a valley at some 55 gallon drums. Great, never to forget fun watching those drums bounce around like beer cans.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:01:04 PM EDT
[#47]
I'd love to have one but we have the stupid NFA that makes me unable to afford one
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
One sunny afternoon in some hills on Camp Pendleton we were blessed to have two of them  and cases of loaded magazines. Shooting prone across a valley at some 55 gallon drums. Great, never to forget fun watching those drums bounce around like beer cans.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:02:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'd love to have one but we have the stupid NFA that makes me unable to afford one
View Quote

You and me both!
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:06:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I remember inrangeTV on youtube taking a semi auto one to a match. They didn't seem very impressed if I remember correctly. I think they had problems with the bipod and found the rifle too heavy to effectively use from an standing offhand position. Great for it's day but when you pick one up and run around shooting one you see why they switched to something else.
View Quote

They were comparing it to a semi FG42.

Much lighter, better bipod and the pistol grip really helps with ergonomics.

It's not like the FG isn't a 20 year younger design or anything.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top