Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/27/2023 11:46:04 AM EDT
If there's one thing Toyota and its executives have made clear over the past 20 or so years, it's that they aren't too keen on electric vehicles.

This may seem at odds with the perception of the automaker as a green-car pioneer. As Toyota likes to point out, its 1997 introduction of the Prius was a watershed moment, the first mass-produced hybrid battery-and-gas vehicle option for environmentally conscious drivers, which spurred competitors like General Motors and Honda to get their own electrified motors to market.

Yet more than 25 years later, Toyota has largely remained stuck in gear. The automotive giant had invested in Tesla back in 2010 to spur EV development, only to begin selling off its Tesla shares a few years later. It also sold 100 models of a battery-powered microcar in 2012 before "discontinu[ing] it due to concerns over the limits of EVs," as Reuters reported. Only recently has Toyota appeared to take EVs seriously. In December, the company announced a plan to launch five new zero-emissions models in the European market by 2026; earlier this month, the company introduced a fully battery-powered retro concept car alongside a new hybrid model at the Tokyo Auto Salon. But if you want to buy an EV from Toyota right now, the company only offers one of them, and sales are miniscule. Competitors like Hyundai are seizing on Toyota's slowness on EVs to play up their own clean-car successes, cutting into the Japanese juggernaut's domination of the global automotive market.

m0Ar

EV THREAD
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#1]
They think long term and see the dead end potential of EV cars.  Hybrids are the future.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#2]
In a sane world, where we had a rational energy policy, EVs would be nothing more than curiosities. There'd be no market for them at all.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#3]
WOW I WONDER WHY THEY GOT RID OF THEIR CEO
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#4]
EV Thread!!!

Fuck EVs. Toyota got it right, as we DO NOT HAVE the amount of raw minerals and materials to make EVs even close to the dominate form of motive power as Hydrocarbons. Let alone have it be the dominant form of motive power for any where near as long as gas/diesel.

Hydrogen fuel cell is the way.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#5]
EVs suck. The PHEVs like their RAV4 hybrid are great, and as far as I know they’re the only company making them since Chevy dropped the Volt.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#6]
EVs are just a small market that thinks it can replace the ICE.

EVs have their market, but it will still never be the majority.

EV thread
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:53:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
EVs suck. The PHEVs like their RAV4 hybrid are great, and as far as I know they’re the only company making them since Chevy dropped the Volt.
View Quote

Off the top of my head, Chrysler makes a phev pacifica and bmw makes several.

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does bmw sell any in the US?  I hadn’t heard of them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

EV thread
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:09:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

4 models

https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/plug-in-hybrid-electric.html

Eta:
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g15377500/plug-in-hybrid-car-suv-vehicles/
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
He's still Chairman of the Board.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:21:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They think long term and see the dead end potential of EV cars.  Hybrids are the future.
View Quote

This is correct. And additionally Toyota has produced between 5-10 million cars a year, every single year, for over 2 decades. They approach things differently then a comparatively new startup which only produces a fraction of that with the aid of generous .gov subsidies.

These two short articles from Toyota Research CEO Gill Pratt do a good job of explaining the logic behind their strategy:

https://medium.com/toyotaresearch/carbon-is-our-enemy-lets-use-everything-we-ve-got-to-fight-it-b38bfbc1f16

https://medium.com/toyotaresearch/more-straight-talk-about-toyotas-electric-vehicle-strategy-f0aba4be40

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:22:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Toyota's operated on a slow and steady business model for a long time, and it's clearly worked for them. They will probably offer more EVs if/when they can make them at an attractive price point with boring reliability. They're like Nintendo. They don't care what the market demands from them. They will put out what they think the market will buy, and usually they end up being correct.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:22:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Battery tech is still way behind.  Hybrid has proven to be viable, why stray from that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:24:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Not a good corporate look.

Chinese owned Cobalt mines in Africa (Greenies should be proud)

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#19]
nobody seems to be aware that toyota just released an ev and it was trash.

Everyone in this thread : "toyota makes boring and reliable cars"

toyota ev : recalled because the wheels kept falling off.

heh

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:26:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Toyota's operated on a slow and steady business model for a long time, and it's clearly worked for them. They will probably offer more EVs if/when they can make them at an attractive price point with boring reliability. They're like Nintendo. They don't care what the market demands from them. They will put out what they think the market will buy, and usually they end up being correct.
View Quote
Yep. They keep models around for a LONG time, especially compared to the Big 3. If they make some high volume EV's I think they want to make sure the tech is where they want it to be to keep it around for awhile. There's been a lot of changes in batteries over the years I doubt they really want to play fuck fuck games with updating/changing packs every couple years. For the most part the hybrid batteries are a decent size/capacity to hang around for long model runs.

I still think the Prime plug-in hybrids are a better solution for the vast majority of people.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:27:39 PM EDT
[#21]
This is one thing Toyota actually got right.

Hybrids make so much more sense.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:31:14 PM EDT
[#22]
We had the hybrid SUV as a rental on time, I wasn't impressed.

And the Colision avoidance went nuts in the car wash
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:31:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Bend the knee.

Do the bidding of the globalists.

Take the money.

That's the plan. Right?

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:35:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
In a sane world, where we had a rational energy policy, EVs would be nothing more than curiosities. There'd be no market for them at all.
View Quote

Word
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#25]
I WILL BEHEAD THE TRAITOROUS SWINE WHO BETRAYED YOU, TOYODA-SAN

@beitodesstrafe
Imma need a katana with charms and motion-activated voice emotes - integrated accelerometer so you can select an emote for beheading blow (default for beheading blow being "UWUUUUU" ofc)

wait
disregard what I wrote
don't steal my billion$ plsnthnx
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:

View Quote

There are quite a lot of PHEVs made out there.  Here are just a few.  

https://www.kbb.com/phev/best-phev-suvs/
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

@beitodesstrafe
Imma need a katana with charms and motion-activated voice emotes - integrated accelerometer so you can select an emote for beheading blow (default for beheading blow being "UWUUUUU" ofc)

wait
disregard what I wrote
View Quote

As long as it is pink and kawaii AF, I am in!
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#28]
What I got from all of that is that Toyota lives in the real world.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Though, a hybrid without the ability to be plugged in to charge seems retarded.  Why not give someone the ability to squeeze a little more electric range out of it if the vehicle is gonna sit?  Even a 110V/15A charge will be useful if it's not gonna be driven for a day.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:40:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Japanese business models are based on decades, not quarters.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

because he can see to the horizon while the BOD can only see to the end of the block.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@beitodesstrafe

wait
disregard what I wrote

Pink weaponry? Are you some misogyny-adjacent B***a?
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#33]
When can I get a hybrid 4wd Sienna?      Any plans for that?
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.  Works in metro and rural areas.  No charging station infrastructure necessary.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Hydrogen hybrids are the ticket, Toyota and Ford are correct on that and continue but EV's are DEI hires of the car world. The main issue with EV's is the batteries and how long it takes to change them up, until those two things are dramatically improved EV's will continue to suffer. Hybrids on the other hand, especially hydrogen negate this problem (albeit have a distribution issue.) The distribution problems can be solved with current technology but will be costly.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Toyota is the best car company on earth and they are correct regarding EV’s.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

If driven completely by the free market, EVs simply would not exist.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#38]
My wife loves her hybrid mini-van from Toyota, and when you put it in sport mode, it is actually pretty quick. 33 MPG with 4 adults and 2 kids going an average of 80+MPH.

We both agreed to keep at least one ICE vehicle. I know I will get hate for this, but I fucking love my Tesla too. I went from a Jeep where I had to actually roll my windows down, to a vehicle that goes 0-60 in less than 4 seconds while making almost no noise. I know electric vehicles will never completely take over, but for just taking the kids around town and doing my normal everyday stuff, the EV is a fucking dream. I used to hate driving anywhere, it felt like a chore, but now I look for a reason to take my Tesla for a spin. My wife doesn't like driving it though, to each their own.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:07:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nuke Truck
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:13:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 2:15:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

4 models

Eta:
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g15377500/plug-in-hybrid-car-suv-vehicles/

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#43]
They’ve poured billions into hybrids.  Are they trying to protect their investment?
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

4 models

Eta:

A guy I often park next to taking my daughter to school drives a BMW i8.

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Hopefully they continue to? No reason to waste money on a fad.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 2:27:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually, if we had a rational energy policy (i.e. a shit ton of very cheap electricity from nuclear power) they would make sense for a lot of things. Not everything, but a lot of things. As a choice. Not a mandate.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

EV thread
View Quote

Best selling car in Europe last quarter: Tesla model Y.
Second best selling car in Europe last quarter: Tesla model 3.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

EV thread
View Quote

One of my favorite things about this place is that people just say shit. Jesus Christ.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Battery tech is still way behind.  Hybrid has proven to be viable, why stray from that.
View Quote

Battery is literally better for 99% of homeowners.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This is one thing Toyota actually got right.

Hybrids make so much more sense.
View Quote

The new Prius is kind of slick.  They were always good cars, but funny looking. This worked for people who wanted it to be very obvious they were driving a hybrid, but not so much for the rest of us.

Now it's a legit good looking car.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top